Summer in February - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer in February Reviews

October 22, 2016
It would be an unsatisfying film, if it weren't based on a true story. The tragedy is so unbearable, you don't want to accept it as well-structured story. But it is true, and that redeems it. The performances, particularly by Browning and Stevens, are indelible.
September 9, 2016
A true feeling or a genius, who would you choose among them to be your life partner!

Biographical films do their job depicting the real events, but the way they were transformed to the screen matter a lot, This one was decent as a film, but as a someone's real story I was impressed. I learn about the world and its famous people by watching films. I did not know this person, so thanks to the film. It centres on the three people as seen them on the poster, but mostly Florence's perspective that beautifully played by Emily Browning. She was introduced by her brother to his circle where she develops a true feeling for one and later decides to marry another for the different reason. The remaining film narrates her life falling apart and can she make it all right to the end.

Being a biopic is what its strength, but the story is another version of many films and the people around us. The cast was great, but Emily Browning was on the top of the show. Shot in beautiful places, and I loved the background score. These things make it worth a watch, but if you are interested in the art and artists, you might enjoy it well. If you decide to watch out of the interest, make sure you keep low expectation, especially for the final part. Because people are disappointed how it ended than what it revealed. In a biopic they can't change just to please the viewers, instead the viewers have to learn to accept the truth.

My issue was the filmmaking, I was not that impressed with that. It was adapted from a book of the same name, but the film narrated only a few years of the life of Florence. Especially around her romance and marriage life, prior to that events are not known. So that makes the story too familiar compared with the other films. It should have improved a bit with the additional details out of the original source. A small research would have helped them on that. Other than that this film was quite interesting with some unexpected development in the important portion. So it can be watched once, but you won't remember for a long.

6/10
May 31, 2016
Steady love-triangle drama.
May 27, 2016
A tragic English romance. Yet another movie made by a book and failed to deliver. At least the acting is superb.
½ May 14, 2016
quite interesting story
May 7, 2016
summer in february not that unusual if u live in the southern hemisphere but here make a period pic about UK artists/painters in the merchant/Ivoray tradition and well made too.
October 27, 2015
Fairly poor. We watched this while in early 1900s mode, but it proved less impressive than the fictional tales recently on BBC. This one is factual, and as often, facts are less moving than art. Dan Stevens hasn't moved very far from Downton here, and he should. Florence Carter-Wood comes across as weak and quite cowardly in her use of poison to escape from harsh reality. Munnings was no doubt a bastard, and that no doubt contributed to his success at the RA. It's not an uplifting tale, and it's not told well here either.
½ June 14, 2015
I should have read the critics comments before watching.
½ May 2, 2015
Wasn't really paying attention to the movie... only got more interesting towards the end. true stories should hold a higher value... but just didn't really see much. still somewhat entertaining
½ January 3, 2015
A bland romantic period drama that starts off interesting enough, as there are a lot of early 20th-century poetry, paintings, and music involved. However, staying for the whole 100 minutes duration of the film is a regrettably sour experience. The love story is transformed into complete disarray, as the Murphy's law went into full effect in the most painful way possible (without having to go into the horror genre). Dominic Cooper, Dan Stevens, and Emily Browning gave great performances, but apart from that, this film is not worth watching unless you have a masochistic streak.
½ November 12, 2014
Turned it off, was slow, boring story.
September 14, 2014
Overview: A period drama in which a woman decides between slightly boring but dependable, and a talented, slightly erratic, artist.

Trigger Warning(s): Scene of attempted rape

Review (with Spoilers)

It has been almost a year since I have last seen an Emily Browning movie, and while I could have certainly watched Pompei, I didn't want to since it seemed so bleh. However, with Summer in February I thought this was going to be a cute period drama, something which could work well for Browning since she seems destined, due to her porcelain doll looks, to be in quite a few British period dramas. But with her not having the best record when it comes to movies, at least with me, does this one continue the trend or break it?

Characters & Story

After having a fight with her father about a man who was the perfect match for her, Florence (Emily Browning) runs away to live with her brother Joey (Max Deacon) in the pursuit of not just getting away from their father, but also to paint. And what better a place to end up for with the great AJ Munnings (Dominic Cooper) sharing the same circle as Joey, as well as Harold Knight (Shaun Dingwall), there are many possible teachers and mentors in town. Though it seems with Florence's beauty, these artist would prefer her to replace local model Dolly (Mia Austen) over really providing tutelage. So she has to force the point she came to learn to paint.

However, in the pursuit of justifying her stay to her father, she ends up attracting two men. The first being AJ, the wild and passionate painter, and then Gilbert (Dan Stevens) who is this calm, cool, and collected military man. And while the film, at first, presents Florence as a girl who isn't looking for love, just good company, knowledge, and maybe someone to match wits with, she soon falls for one of these boys and the quality of the film falls with it.

Praise

As noted in the introduction, Browning certainly has the perfect look for a period drama. Add in the right amount of cheekiness she possesses in her voice, as well as a look which screams naivety, innocence, and perhaps privilege, and I think you have a prime candidate for a Jane Austen adaptation. However, in terms of this story, while Austen-esque sarcasm isn't on display, for the first 40 or so minutes Browning is quite a sight and her character Florence seems like someone who demands to be taken seriously. With this you are presented a rather interesting picture in which a woman seems to not mind male attention, even enjoys it a bit, but seems committed to becoming a better artist over anything else. Which, for me, I thought was a perfect direction for the film. Though with it being based on a true story, and set in the early 1900s, I should have knew it was too good to be true.

Criticism

If just because, unfortunately, with Florence falling in love, or perhaps more so in great admiration, her story as an artist slips away as she ends up a love interest. One who seemingly picked the wrong man, slowly loses reason to draw, and becomes a bore to watch. Mostly due to all her wit, and any sense of moxy, just disappearing. Making the hour after she becomes married, at first, a bit interesting since we see her deal with insecurities and what not, but after a while things feel like they are just dragging on and it makes you wish what happened in those first 40 minutes still was going on rather than the mess you are left with.

Overall: TV Viewing

Despite rarely giving any Emily Browning film an overall positive review, I do remain a fan. Not just because I think she is attractive either, if anything I think it is because she certainly has talent, but the issue is she doesn't find films which are good throughout. They start off strong but once the drama starts to really kick in, usually the film falls apart. Which is what leads to the TV Viewing label for this film since the film started good, not strong but good, and I liked seeing Browning use her great ability to seem vulnerable, a bit cheeky, and certainly someone who could hold her own against not just the male gaze, but all the talent around her. However, once she got diminished to a love interest it was all downhill. Her life became about who her husband may have been with, her wondering if she made the right decision, and then her wanting to escape from her husband. All making for the type of drama done far too much for this film to not put any effort into trying to stand out and make things interesting.
August 15, 2014
This was a depressingly, morbid love story. The cast was phenomenal, but the story was a real downer.
May 10, 2014
A tepid effort that falls short of the mark. Viewers will find the bland plot and weak characterizations not worthy of attention.
½ May 9, 2014
Christopher Menaul (Feast of July) directs this romantic drama based on Jonathan Smith's 1995 novel of the same name about a group of real-life Bohemian artists living in an ocean-side art colony known as the Newlyn School in Cornwall, England, in the early 1910's. Amongst the group of artists is the young Alfred Munnings (Dominic Cooper - The Devil's Double) who is later elected president of The Royal Academy of Arts (in 1944) and his best friend, the peered land agent/non-artist Gilbert Evans (Dan Stevens - 'Downton Abbey'). The arrival of the young aristocratic Florence Carter-Wood (Emily Browning - Pompeii) -- who likes to dabble in the arts -- excites Alfred and the two quickly become a romantic pair ... although things become terribly complicated when Gilbert decides he is in love with the girl as well. It is highly apparent to everyone in the community that the love triangle cannot end well. The film really wants to be something special but there is simply nothing compelling here and the characters as written are not ones anybody would really root for. The Cornish landscape is the lone wonderful take-away from this movie; but that is not reason enough to recommend this dismally depressing and dire waste of time.
March 16, 2014
Wish I'd checked out the reviews before watching this. A load of lazy boring rubbish.
½ March 11, 2014
I had many problems with this. Aside from the fact that it lacks charm, is bland, features uninteresting characters, and, has a painfully clichéd-riddled story, it simply gave me no reason to care for any of the characters involved despite its "tragic" story. What was most disappointing was that the cast delivered strong performances, which were unfortunately wasted here.
February 16, 2014
Love, infidelity and suicide among the Newlyn Group. Oh dear. Such production values. Such hats. SO many good actors acting. Such coastal scenery. Nice dog. And all for nothing. I am glad I decided to polish the brass, for which useful activity this dreary and undercharacterised tale is a suitably anodyne backdrop.
February 10, 2014
I have no background knowledge of the subject matter so I don't know how accurate it was. The film seemed a bit disjointed at the end.
January 18, 2014
There's not really much good that can be said about this film. So I'll just say it was nice to see Dan Stevens again, since he no longer appears in Downton Abbey.