Sunset Boulevard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunset Boulevard Reviews

½ January 13, 2018
Seemingly too witty for it's time, this satirical masterpiece is truly one of a kind.
January 3, 2018
When Hollywood makes a movie about Hollywood... No wonder that this is considered to be one of the best film-noir movies ever made. It is smart and it has got great performances. Among its assets, the camerawork was perfect (especially the opening and closing scenes).
December 28, 2017
I had to watch this film for a graduate-level film class. Admittingly, I was not looking forward to having watch such an old movie. Now that I have seen it, I love it. Transfixing performances by Holden/Swanson/Von Stroheim. Still culturally relevant 68 years after its release. A must see! One of the top 5 greatest films ever made.
½ December 23, 2017
From a writing standpoint, this movie is phenomenal. I can understand why this film would be called one of the greatest films ever. It has a lot going for it. However, its slow pacing can often effect my enjoyment of it.

After a young screenwriter gets a flat tire, he winds up in the home of a once famous silent actor named Norma Desmond and she ensnares him to have him bring one of her scripts to the big screen and to make her famous again.

Old film stars are an interesting topic. Its plot provokes sort of a haunting nightmare for everyone who wants to become a star. Its characters are memorable because of their execution. Norma Desmond is a character who slowly loses her insanity as it is slowly proven that reviving a silent film star isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. The ending shows you just how far she will go and it leaves some haunting thoughts in your head after you watch it. On the other hand though, I did feel that it was a little bit unneeded at first. I didn't feel like it was too necessary but that thought died off quickly.

Joe Gillis is a character that we kind of feel sorry for. He stumbles upon her house on accident and he starts to feel that he's stuck at her house. You really can't spoil the ending since it is revealed to us how the film ends at the beginning but it makes us feel sad for what happens to Joe because he was almost able to go back to his old life. However, I can understand why the movie would choose to end like that because it makes it more clear what its message is and it explains to us more about the meaning behind the movie.

The film's instrumental soundtrack is neither amazing nor bad. It just serves as a catchy soundtrack and it doesn't expand too much more than that. It isn't that impressive but I didn't notice it to be a distraction so I can't say that it diminished the movie's quality in any way.

The acting is great on all parts. Gloria Swanson plays a once popular silent film star who suffers from depression and has made several suicide attempts in the past. Her acting doesn't get too amazing until the final few minutes where she is able to convey several mods at once. However, she does a thoroughly convincing role throughout the movie. William Holden's acting remains above average throughout the film. I can't say that he had a moment which truly stood out from the rest but he is still able to convey an ensnared man who is trying to keep the reality of her fame a secret pretty well. He did a good job also.

For some reason, the most common complaint I seem to have about a movie is that it will have slow pacing which can bring me out of a movie to a varying degree and it can play a part in whether I'd want to watch it again. The issue I have with this movie is its talk-heavy dialogue. Some may not mind this but I grew eager for the movie to pick up its pace several times in the movie. Some movies are able to get around this issue though like "Russian Ark". Although it had slow pacing, it interested me because I love history and art. Also, it had superb cinematography and lighting. Some movies are successfully able to get around this problem. However, I lost much of my attention near the middle of the film because it did not provide a way to make me not mind its slow pace.

Despite the slow pacing though, this movie provides a great look on Hollywood and it can be surprisingly pretty upsetting at the ending (in a good way). I can understand why many consider this to be a masterpiece and I can see why it would be considered to be one of the greatest movies ever. It is a great movie, but it could have been much better if the pacing made it an easier film to watch and enjoy. Despite this though, it's still a great movie which has a lot going for it and it is a must-see if you're trying to catch up on classic works of cinema.
December 17, 2017
With lovely camerawork and fantastic writing/directing from Wilder, Sunset Boulevard's opening sequence has you immediately hooked and its final scene will stay with you for a good while after the credits roll. The story is smart and still feels poignant even today with an in-depth study of its complex and multi-dimensional characters, played wonderfully by Holden, Stroheim and Swanson who gives an utterly captivating central performance as an ageing actress with severe issues. It also manages to be a scathing critique of the transitory nature of Hollywood. Fascinating, depressing and tragic, the rich atmosphere draws you in and affects you in a number of different ways, sometimes taking you by surprise, as the film progresses with its revelations. A true pleasure to watch and easily one of the best films ever made about Tinseltown.
October 27, 2017
Ironically, a movie from another era, but with plenty of clever dialogue and intrigue
September 16, 2017
'Sunset Boulevard' is a fascinating mise en abyme of Hollywood, where an unsuccessful screenwriter sees slowly a trap narrowing around him, tauten by another victim of the showbiz, Norma, an aging silent star whose noxious madness rises throughout Wilder's bleak drama, attaining a tragic paroxysm at the end. Watching 'Sunset Boulevard' is like a frightening trip into madness, exhilarating and astoundingly rich. The film also draws an acerbic portrait of two Hollywoods; the first one being the faded, forgotten, ghostly Hollywood of Norma, the second one the penniless but inspired Hollywood of Joe. A contrast made more vivid by the facially expressive acting of Gloria Swanson (true silent film star), in rupture with Holden's much more spontaneous portrayal of Joe (obviously coming from a different age). On the whole, 'Sunset Boulevard' is a great cinematic discovery.
August 30, 2017
Sunset Boulevard was the absolute worst movie of its time. From the odd twists in story (which doesn't make sense to begin with) to the downright horrible acting, there is nothing good about it. It is as if the story was changed every other scene. Can't believe I even made it through the whole thing. And, yes, I realize it was supposed to be entertaining in the way of being comical, etc., etc. but it certainly wasn't for me. This movie belongs in the bin.
August 9, 2017

- Very Tightly Edited

- Magnificent Characters

- Interesting Character Studies

- Gorgeous Production Design for a B&W Film

Cons:
- None

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
½ July 13, 2017
A well done movie which shows that you need a good story not a huge budget to create a classic movie. Gloria Swanson returned from a post sound film absence to deliver a great role which she is now more often remembered for.
½ June 10, 2017
Sunset boulevard is a wonderfully dark, sad, and oddly funny look at how some people can't leave their glory days in Hollywood behind. The film is directed wonderfully with beautiful sets, particularly the mansion that evoke a sense of isolation, loneliness, and dread perfectly. The dialogue is sharp and biting with some great lines taking a jab at Hollywood and people in the business. It's also a great character study. I can definitely see why it's a classic.
April 20, 2017
Now THAT'S a classic that lives up to the hype...
½ April 19, 2017
Great acting. This is a classic for a reason. It moved a bit slow for my taste, but I found myself enjoying the narrative and the interplay between the three/four main characters. Now I know where the quote, "I am ready for my closeup mr. deville" comes from.
½ April 15, 2017
At a point, Norma Desmond as a character becomes so infuriating, so unlikeable, so downright annoying, to the point where it's almost physically painful to sit through. She's over-the-top, but not in the kind of way that's tolerable. She's selfish, and whiny, and conceited. It's the kind of thing that almost ruins an otherwise excellent movie.

And then you understand. That's the point. Billy Wilder's take on a darker side of Hollywood is scathing and unrelenting, showing how fame takes its toll on those "fortunate" enough to reach movie star status. Behind the camera, the screenwriters (in this case, down-on-his-luck writer Joe Gillis) are too cynical to craft anything more than an easy buck. To boot, it's all strangely meta: Gloria Swanson, giving one of the most legendary performances in history as Desmond, transitions from silent film actress into a new era of filmmaking, not unlike Desmond hopes to do herself. Wilder is wildly inventive in this regard, and doesn't pull punches when going directly after the business. Instead of making up directors to include in this story, he throws in real names (D.W. Griffith and Cecil DeMille, the latter of whom cameos in a small acting role) to make this savage satire hit as hard as it can. Wilder and Charles Brackett's screenplay draws elements of film noir mysteries, with voiceover narration and murky cinematography, but it's also truly funny. It's that kind of juxtaposition that makes Sunset Boulevard such a masterwork of film: you can't help but laugh at how these things play out and how ridiculous they all can be, but they sit in the corner of your mind and slowly register. And again, you understand. This is very much a horror story.
April 14, 2017
This classic dark comedy about the horrifying truth of Hollywood proves ageless.
April 5, 2017
This is an unfolding experience; the fate is set, we know William Holden will die and his narration is otherworldly, from the afterlife presumably. So the challenge is always: can we care about a story whose results we already know? It's Shakespeare's witches on a beach, prophetic, moving in one direction. We only need one look at Gloria Swanson's Norma Desmond - set in a rotting mansion amidst stacks of obsessively writing an epic screenplay that nobody will buy - to know that Holden is falling into a trap with a completely insane woman. I don't know enough movies to say whether or not this really stood out for it's time, exposing the inner world of Hollywood glamour and the hard hit for those who fall from it. But I can say that every beat of this film unfolds to my taste, and it's statement of Hollywood holds true to today. Holden's Joe Gillis is trapped in Dracula's castle, his meat tenderizing to her whims, her every need, and eventually her desire to have a man like him in her life. Here's a young, good-looking stud whose screenwriting career is failing, and out of desperation he allows himself to be taken by this old washup. We get a sense of both Gillis and Desmond's desperation playing off into their inevitable pitfall. Gillis could have a younger, attractive, successful woman like Barbara Schaefer, who is helping him recuperate his career with a screenplay that could actually land him a quality film. She is his only hope, his one way ticket out of hell into a better life. But he's in a bubble with her, dancing on the outskirts, seeing what could've been if his devlish functions weren't so manipulated by the more immediate lavish life Desmond provides.

Wilder stages this with delicacy, but is not shy to allow over-the-top moments, particularly by Swanson giving us the ugliest side of fallen stardom one could imagine. From her facelift to her close-up moment after the murder, we get all we could hope to keep reserved in the belly of our deepest nightmares of lost minds and past-dwelling.

I only wonder if this film feels very removed from those who don't know Hollywood lingo, which dialogue and narration provide an abundance of. Featuring legendary director Cecil B DeMille as himself may not register with the modern audience, but it's significant. He entertains Desmond, horribly and accidentally teasing that her screenplay has any promise, only to reveal the sad truth that he had no other way of handling her politely, and has no intention of making her movie.

The narration is another great tool, providing the attitude and backdrop of being a screenwriter in Hollywood, not taking from the theatric experience of the story coming to life visually. Sunset Boulevard itself will fatefully be the best story Gillis ever tells on film. Desmond's heartbreak is unsettling, unnerving, and an effective lesson about moving on in life.
March 31, 2017
Stylishly directed, smartly written and powerfully acted. Sunset Boulevard is a glorious look at the early days of Hollywood and the struggles of screenwriting. An undeniable classic for film lovers
½ March 7, 2017
Interesting. Daringly smart.
½ March 2, 2017
A great classic movie !
½ February 19, 2017
Man, this one was REAL good.