Sweet Virginia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Virginia Reviews

December 18, 2017
Although the sluggish nature of it, Sweet Virgina proves to be a simple yet charming film, it is surprisingly well-acted and that helped a lot with the slow-paced plot that unloaded rapidly toward the end, the visual aspect is inviting and ominous that gives a great vibe, what I didn't like is the fact they tried to do a lot of thing at once which gives it a sloppy touch to it but overall it holds its own pretty fine and I guess that's what matters at the end.
December 9, 2017
Good story but Could be made more thrilling.
½ December 9, 2017
Well that was a depressing and awkward movie. Slow to start then just full of emptiness.
December 2, 2017
Nothing wrong with this film at all, it's quite tense, tightly paced, cinematography and score are excellent and great performances all round.
December 1, 2017
SOUR NORTH

Problem with small towns is everybody leaves 'em. Thus small town stories tend to be based on romanticized memories (be it good or bad) from the point of city slickers. And since most folks reside in giant metropolises, it becomes difficult to pronounce judgement on this evaporating way of life.

Sweet Virginia is one such film beast. It is both good and bad. A good film, about bad people, but chiefly it is about America.

Set in murky Alaska, but filled with soft, southern accented characters, it takes place in a tiny, forgotten place, where people struggle for money, hide their histories, wear baseball caps, drive pickups, move at a snail's pace, and settle their matters in a violent fashion.

At the centre of a nifty noire tangle is an uncomfortable buddy-buddy relationship between an aw-shucks former rodeo star trying unsuccessfully to live a low-key life as a motel owner, and a troubled, snaky hit man. Jon Bernthal is terrific as the reluctant good guy, who innocently befriends the dark stranger in town - a perfectly tense and edgy Christopher Abbott. We know this won't end well, but that is not the point. This is less about the resolution and more about the journey.

"Sweet Virginia" dares to peek under the covers of a sleepy place rampant with familiarity but teeming with excruciating loneliness. One that usually keeps it's secrets well buried. Usually.

- hipCRANK
November 30, 2017
A very slow burn (which unfortunately is not everyone's thing; I for one LOVE the slow burn) with character specific archetypes. Noir that is dense, atmosphere is dark and moody. Jon Bernthal continues to showcase his acting, Abbott was great too. Their chemistry was oddly charming. Enjoyed it.
½ November 26, 2017
Don't waste your time. Stupid movie.
½ November 24, 2017
Wow, how did this movie get such good reviews? I'm starting to wonder if these are bought. Here's my review: Script full of cliches, with a silly resolution, characters undeveloped, flat acting, murky cinematography. In short, are you kidding me? Don't waste your time. Dumb, dumb, dumb TV is far better than this idiocy. Better writing.
½ November 20, 2017
A solemn and moody variation of "Double Indemnity". "Sweet Virginia" takes its time in building its characters and manages to become quite absorbing. Jon Bernthal and Christopher Abbott manage to deliver memorable and potent performances.
November 19, 2017
Not sure how this movie is getting such high reviews. Extremely slow, trying to milk too much screen time and tension out of too little plot. Lacks focus, seems to be all over the place, and feels very contrived (ex-rodeo rider, for example--what did that have to do with anything? Not much). My wife fell asleep watching it. Also ,the "China Brothers" who wrote this seem like they're trying to imitate the Coen Brothers. We already have the Coen Brothers, guys, come up with your own style.
½ November 17, 2017
Why I watch Independent films and almost nothing else....just brilliant.
November 15, 2017
Really enjoyed this film. Highly recommend.
November 12, 2017
When my friend offered me her ticket to go see a preview of a movie I would know nothing about, I said, okay, I'll go, why not? That's how things roll with the Reel Talk: Sneak Peek at TIFF. So, I showed up.

As the movie started, I got nervous, this is NOT a movie I would have proactively chosen to see. If it were on Netflix, I might have bailed after the first bit. Why? It's not my thing.

However, Canadian director Jaime M. Dagg takes the China Brothers script and flawlessly captures a segment of time and a series of events (with ridiculously fantastic acting) to bring the audience into the lives of some people. There is violence, but none of it is gratuitous. There is sex, but again, integral to the story and character development. I don't even want to tell you anything, because if you're like me, you're going to think, uh oh, train wreck, please don't go there... It goes there. And yet it doesn't. After the film, we got to hear from the director and I think I've fallen in love with his work. I now have to go watch his first film and will watch anything he makes in the future. I love the way he thinks, I love how he made a $2.5 million "small budget" movie with a vision that never wavered. The claustrophobia you feel from the way things unfold completely contrast with the beautiful backdrop of the Rockies.

Too good.