Swinging With The Finkels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swinging With The Finkels Reviews

½ April 20, 2016
Some okay bits in this light hearted comedy but as a whole there's not much to recommend this
½ July 23, 2015
Never outstanding, but certainly a watchable comedy with a few good moments before the crux of the plot begins, after that it gets a little more generic.
March 31, 2015
Can't believe I sat through this, nearly gave up on it very early on.
Melissa George is especially horrid in this one. Lost half a star for the scene of her with her breast pump. Character is also crude, vulgar and repellant.
Mandy Moore fares a little better, but she and the husband have zero chemistry. He looks like her father in the flashbacks of them dating.
And wouldn't you know it, my all time "favourite" happy ending in the movie. That one never gets old.
October 10, 2014
When the film's funniest moment is Angus Deayton asking for an Anal Blast cocktail then you know you are in for a rough ride. Cliched and an utter waste of time.
½ June 20, 2014
Probably the most depressing "comedy" I've ever seen. The two leads have zero chemistry together.
April 27, 2014
Quite cute with some laughs.
January 13, 2014
One line summary: Boring script, indifferent idea, lackluster acting.

-----------------------

Alvin and Ellie have been married for nine years, and their intimacy has reached a plateau, a dry patch. The discuss this with friends, at first obliquely, then more openly. Their friends Janet and Jonathan have been married for about the same number of years, but also have a toddler plus a nursing child. Their situation is even more 'dried up.' Someone suggests costumes in the bedroom. The fireman's getup did not work at all.

Ellie's manicure team suggest that she masturbate with a cucumber. She tries this after checking that she has sufficient time alone. She is deeply into the rhythm of it when Alvin returns with her grandparents, who have just flown in from the States. Unfortunately, he makes the mistake of opening their bedroom door without knocking and asking for permission to enter. Mr. and Mrs. Winters (the grandparents) have a wide variety of comments afterward.

Ellie gets advice from her friend at work; Alvin gets advice at work whether he asks for it or not. Ellie's advisers are a gay couple, who suggest swinging. Alvin's advisers are a man from Canada and a young fellow from India who suggest Alvin take a mistress.

They broach the idea with Peter and Janet, and that does not go well.

The meet a number of couples through queries on the Internet. This is unsuccessful at first. After many attempts, they meet a couple who seem normal enough and are of a similar age and stage in their lives, with similar 'drying up' problems. They set a date to have a first swap. They have some drinks with suggestive names, play pictionary, where the first word involves 'vulva.' Then they set off into separate bedrooms.

There are not a lot of warmth the next morning, and the new couple take off fairly quickly. Alvin and Ellie find it hard to talk to each other afterwards, which is exactly what they need to do. Peter and Janet break up. Alvin and Ellie start back-biting, which leads directly to an indefinite separation.

Goodness. Do the two couples get back together? Does anyone learn anything from all this discontent?

------Scores------

Cinematography: 9/10 No particular problems.

Sound: 9/10 OK.

Acting: 2/10 Jonathan Silverman I could have done without completely. Melissa George was horrible. Martin Freeman and Mandy Moore were more or less competent, and delivered the script. Everyone else was between OK and lackluster.

Screenplay: 2/10 Boring, not engaging, seldom funny, not inventive. The ending sucked rocks.
½ January 7, 2014
The cucumber scene was the most memorable part of this movie. I'm just not a swinging type of gal. Boooo!
August 22, 2013
Hey..writing this simply because of all the bad reviews..

I found it slightly charming and it had a few lol moments..

Not the greatest rom-com, but i have taste, dammit, and it if you like such a movie category, it will pass the time just fine (at 3am when you cant sleep)..

Has a few pieces of nice insight as well..

Would have liked to see the supporting actress as lead, however..

Sorry, miss mandy moore :-)
½ July 17, 2013
Lame and boring. Nothing clever or funny about this film.
June 21, 2013
Even Martin Freeman can't save this film.
May 5, 2013
Unfunny to the point of utter boredom. Martin freeman is funny at times but the film in general seems terribly forced. The whole tone of the film is quite odd and when it should be funny it is serious and off putting. A large cast is wasted and a potential comedy is ruined by lack of focus.
April 18, 2013
A Pretty stupid rom-com,obviously with a stupider gimmick,but Martin Freeman isn't bad,but besides that,this is pretty awful stuff
March 18, 2013
Swinging with The Finkels is bad movie. If you go into the movie knowing that, then you'll be fine, but you will have get used to stupid jokes and awkward moments. Ever since I saw Tangled starring the beautiful and talented Mandy Moore and The Hobbit starring the always amazing Martin Freeman, I've been wanting to see this movie. Unfortunately, this movie left me wanting to see them in a more fantastical setting with a smarter script and decent director at least.
½ February 25, 2013
The story fails on all fronts, Mandy & Martin have zero chemistry. This movie is obnoxious and cliched.
December 30, 2012
It was good enough for me to want to see how it ended.
½ December 18, 2012
Common romantic story about a couple's relationship suffering due to their inability to communicate emphatically from a place of self-awareness with confidence & humility. The main difference with this story is that they swing, rather than one of them having an affair. Scartch that, with moments left, the writers chickened out & made the swinging session a farce.
½ December 17, 2012
It's unfunny for those who don't know people who passed for this momentos, unfunny for those who don't know of art, acting and analyzing a script and characters even scenarios. It's unfunny for does who don't understand life itself. For me it's a brilliant movie, it's not comedy at all, it's life divided in pieces! Life is like this, friends are like this, life is unfair but brilliant to re-tell millions of stories in different versions and styles, languages and places! Life is beautiful same as those who have made it to the 50 anniversary even Christmas alive! Who said life was easy to understand? Nobody! I cannot give it 5/5 stars at all because it started somehow slow as expected (the jokes were ok and some cliches were too, I would have changed some, but oh well...), still it was a brilliant piece of art. I would recommend this movie for those who know and understand life, acting, scripts, scenarios/sets designs, costumes, dancing, playing video games....this movie is not for critiques who have not being on this shoes (or may but forget, as Petit-Prince says or one of his characters, you were younger and you don't remember or don't want to remember, something like that). PD: Martin Freeman and Mandy Moore were amazing in this movie! The director did a wonderful job with this cast and extras too!

ENJOY AND HASTA LA PROXIMA MES AMIS! AU REVOIR AND MERRY CHRISTMAS - December 17, 2012.
November 25, 2012
So it starts like it is going to the the American Pie of adult romantic comedies... #FAILURE
November 14, 2012
Its ok as a british comedy, but honestly I've seen better, as far as Rom-coms go, do we really need the obligatory American actress and actor these days really!!!