The Tale of Despereaux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tale of Despereaux Reviews

September 30, 2016
Great animation, voice acting, and story.
Might be predictable but still fun.
½ August 22, 2016
This ranks as one of my worst movies of all time. Where does the vegetable man come from?!
½ July 17, 2016
stupid empty plot. full of incorrect facts and Improportions about rats.
July 9, 2016
Visually appealing to fans of highly stylized animation. All star cast providing excellent voice work. Not sure where the complaints come from for this enchanting little film which my family found delightful. This is a hidden gem.
½ June 30, 2016
I am pained by the removal of the moral darkness of the book. I guess it is a kid's movie though, and they would probably like it.
½ May 18, 2016
A boring and insulting waste of time, I'm still waiting for my refund after all these years, I could have watched a fresh-painted wall dry until peeling instead.
April 30, 2016
no entiendo cual es el problema de estas peliculas animadas qe su animacion es malisima y que suerte que fracasan en la taquilla, de niņo aunque la ubieras visto te vas a dar cuenta de estas peliculas malas.
½ April 7, 2016
It's pretty good, but it didn't totally blow me away. Worth checking out. Despereaux, one of the all-time cutest?
February 23, 2016
The story is now fresh or new and turns out to be a boring movie.
November 28, 2015
It's Been five years ago when I saw this movie on court street in Brooklyn NY to tell the truth I really don't like it here's why the animation is ok and it's fun for a whole family but the problem of this movie was a total wacky perplexing storyline that I don't understand the actors needs more energetic, the script needs to be update because the writing it's completely horrible and the end of battle of cat vs mice when the sun comes up and they said I'm sorry to each other 5 FREAKING TIMES ARE YOU KIDDING ME . After the movie My Ex Co Workers said to me that the movie was cute but to me it's not cute and this film don't have details which is not compared to the book. All I can say is that This film needs a Reboot and they should read the book before they make a movie 2/5 stars THE END.
September 28, 2015
A decent animated film that has a good voice cast and good animation, but really stated to lose itself the farther the story progresses. I never read the book. It's one of those things I got a copy off but never forget Ickes up, so I can't judge this movie based on the quality of the book. I will say fans of the book may get a kick out of it but it's hard for me to day this film is really worth checking out.
½ September 13, 2015
This is my favorite childhood book. However the movie, everything was wrong with it. It portrayed Despereaux completely wrong. Ruined the whole mood of the book.
August 9, 2015
Interesting and mysterious.
June 21, 2015
Almost everything in this movie is stupid and boring. The storyline is more about Migg Sow and Rosscuro. Despereaux is not even a main character in this movie. The chef is a boy and in the book its a girl. Worst. Movie. Ever.
½ May 23, 2015
Despereaux- the action movie soap opera fairy tale!
For those of you who haven't read the book, it might be okay. However, I have read the book and I COMPLETELY hated it. First of all, using mouse ears to FLY is a bit overly-cheezy, no? It's hard to really even describe how bad it is, unless you watch it. However, if you do, I dare you to go the whole movie without face-palming, especially if you have read the book. It doesn't even really follow the book!
I suppose on the plus side, it's so bad I was laughing almost the whole movie...
½ May 3, 2015
The biggest sin The Tale of Despereaux committed was not being from Pixar. No, it's not the best animated tale out there. Is it horrendous? Not even close.
½ April 10, 2015
An Animation not for younger kids cause it is too hard for them. Elder kids won't be interested in what it is trying to reveal. Adults would feel bored by the story and the not so gorgeous animation. Big stars doing the voice dubbing though.
March 23, 2015
Kate DiCamillo's novel THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX is a modern-day children's classic, filled with beautiful descriptions, complex characters and a compelling narrative. The film adaptation, however, has quickly disappeared in the sands of time and will never be looked at twice. The animation is dated and the story has lost it's charm, and worst of all, some idiot decided that the man who voiced the world's most well-known cartoon lion should also voice a mouse. The voice acting in general is poor (the only exceptions for me were Dustin Hoffman and Ciaran Hinds) with Emma Watson having little to do and Matthew Broderick sounding as effortless and bland as usual. THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX film is passable on it's own, but as an adaptation it's unforgivable and nearly unwatchable for a fan. I remember being excited for weeks to see this film in theaters, and how disappointed I was upon leaving.
½ January 27, 2015
Nah, not really capturing in the way that I'd hoped. Got quite bored.
January 1, 2015
Animated movies can be funny sometimes and i have seen most of the more famous ones. This movie tho are more a lighthearted beautiful adventure rather than the typical humor flicks like Madagascar , Ice Age etc.. which i prefer. But its nice to watch something different for a change and this is a perfect family movie. Its a well made flick with nice animation and its really amazing how the technology for these movie really are. The voices for the all the characters were nice and some of the actors are Matthew Broderick , Dustin Hoffman , Christopher Lloyd and Richard Jenkins. Overall a decent movie and the kids will most certainly enjoy it.