Tarzan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tarzan Reviews

June 16, 2017
Tarzan is fine. The themes are the only real complex thing here; otherwise, it's crazy simple, which isn't completely a bad thing. The scene of Jane and Tarzan meeting on the tree branch is just plain lovely, and represents the better parts of this film: its grace and its heart. And I've made peace with Phil Collins music from this movie, and even like the songs in a vacuum, but I still HATE HATE HATE this type of "let-these-lyrics-tell-you-exactly-how-to-feel" soundtrack usage.
June 13, 2017
The movie is great with a heart warming story with funny moments and great music
June 12, 2017
Tarzan must have been one of the most challenging films the animation crew at Disney has ever had to work on. I mean, I just look at all those scenes where the titular character has to swing on vines and slide on trees! You can tell these are hard working animators giving their all on this project! But in addition to that, it offers a powerful story that looks into the conflict Tarzan is dealing with throughout the film and a group of likable characters. If I had to criticize something, it's that I find the villain Clayton to be pretty lame. His goal is that he wants to capture the gorillas, but the question is, what does he want them for? They probably explained it in the film, and I forgot it, but I don't get why he's after them. But in spite of that, I still really enjoyed Tarzan.
June 1, 2017
A classic tale for young and old. Tarzan is excellent entertainment with great animation, a riveting tale, and a brilliant soundtrack.
May 4, 2017
An underrated masterpiece. Tarzan is a beautiful film that has everything that make Disney movies so great. (First viewing - Summer 1999 in theaters)
May 3, 2017
Great movie that will have you laughing it's a silly movie and the music was just amazing I like this movie a lot!
½ May 2, 2017
Minor issues aside, this movie is really great.
April 22, 2017
Tarzan has become a relative Disney standard and justifiably so. With fun animation, entertaining characters, a memorable soundtrack, and some of the company's most daring action sequences Tarzan endures the test of time to remain a classic movie to revisit.
½ April 20, 2017
One of my absolute favorite Disney films. The story of Tarzan is one that has been told a million times, but not with the same amount of heart that this one has. The pure emotion that the animated face of the titular character gives is breath taking. For a character with few lines the audience feels connected to him the most on just facial features and body language. The vocal talents all give great balance to one another. For the quiet Tarzan he is paired up with the boisterous tantor and other wild buddies to play off of. I can't recommend this film any higher to animation lovers across the globe.
½ April 9, 2017
Tarzan (1999) - is the final movie in the Disney Renaissance and it certainly was a great note to leave on. The story is very basic and easy to follow but they allow so much to happen when it comes to character development and showing off the incredible surroundings of the jungle. All the characters are very memorable and I especially love the way they work Tarzan and Jane's relationship. I love how each of them work of each other and how Jane helps Tarzan understand the ways of the human life. The gorillas also have their moments of tenderness and I do like how each of their views of Tarzan are well understandable. I kinda will admit that the villain is sort of weak but he still acts as a major threat to Tarzan even though it's kinda obvious how Disney is hiding the fact that he's really a villain and not a good guy. The way they work the animation is absolutely incredible. it is just mind blowing and how they manage to combine hand-drawn animation with CGI effects. It makes the look of the jungle feel so immersive and lifelike. The action scenes definitely are proof of how great the animation is and it moves at such a fast and steady pace. it's probably some of the most action pack stuff I've ever seen in a hand drawn film. The overall music score is great for setting the mood and any type of scene. Whether there's a heartfelt scene or an action-packed sequence, the music is always there to accompany whatever is happening on screen. Phil Collins wrote and performed a few songs for the movie and I think all of them are heartfelt and catchy. They are all greatly separated from one another and they play their part whenever the moment is right. I love this movie for a lot of reasons but overall, it's just an outstanding piece of magic to behold. (A)
February 19, 2017
Disney's imagining of Edgar Rice Burrough's classic story is a fast-paced adventure that audiences of all ages will enjoy mainly due to its stunning animation style combining classic 2D hand-drawn animation with beautiful three-dimensional backgrounds, some exhilarating action scenes as Tarzan practically slides down the vines as if he were Tony Hawk skateboarding - mainly because the animators got the inspiration from skating videos - and some amazing songs from Phil Collins especially "Two Worlds" and "You'll Be in My Heart". Like The Lion King, this Disney outing is worth returning to.
½ January 22, 2017
170122: My step-son, now 24, returned this movie to me raving about the soundtrack. He's now in the music industry, musician, and the film takes him back. I probably haven't seen this film in fifteen years but since he dug it out, delved in. Great story. Great soundtrack. Pretty fantastic art. Still great 18 years later and it took me back as well.
½ January 20, 2017
With absolutely terrific animation, memorable and very well developed characters, greatly established relationships between each and every one of them, stupendously well executed action sequences and some great tunes with Son of Man being so catchy and a lot of fun, Tarzan is such an underrated Disney film that is one of my favorites from the studio, a film that is rushed in pacing and with a typical villain, but is simultaneously emotional, dramatic, romantic and adventurous and well crafted on almost every level. It was a great film to end the Disney Renaissance.
½ December 25, 2016
Not bad, but I just didn't find anything funny
December 23, 2016
A hugely entertaining roller coaster of a movie that perfectly combines 2D animation with 3D background, dazzling us with exhilarating scenes of Tarzan surfing through the jungle trees and a classic story that offers a very nice message about acceptance and self-identity.
December 21, 2016
Despite Rosie O'Donnell's presence and a weak villain, the movie manages to redeem itself with some dark and emotional moments, brilliant chemistry between the two love leads, breathtaking animation, and an awesome Phil Collins soundtrack.
½ December 4, 2016
A good Disney film with fine animation and a zippy soundtrack from Phil Collins.
½ December 1, 2016
Insuperável. Animação, trilha, personagens, roteiro...Um dos melhores do estúdio do Mickey.
½ November 12, 2016
The end of the Disney Renaissance (the one before the one we currently live in, whether it's Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, etc) is not a disaster, but it not perfect. Tarzan open with human man and woman escaping with son from burning boat, then building new life, only to be eaten by leopard. Meanwhile, an ape couple loses their son to the same leopard in a parallel of tragedies that bring Kala (Glenn Close) and human baby Kala names Tarzan (Tony Goldwyn) together. However, Kala's husband Kerchak (Lance Henriksen) disapproves, and rejects Tarzan in cruel way. His heart was in right place for family, but Kala continues to raise Tarzan as ape anyway, like Harambe may have with boy in enclosure, but for safety of child, we may never know. Tarzan grows up to be ape-man, in scene-montage-scene where he make friends with Terk (Rosie O'Donnell), Tantor (Wayne Knight), and other apes/non-apes-and-humans alike. Tarzan begins being well-received as ape until new humans arrive. Tarzan meets Jane Porter (Minnie Driver) here to sketch animals and help her father Archimedes (Nigel Hawthorne) with research, and Clayton (Brian Blessed) to defend them. The opening act sets up the rest of the story beautifully, but this and other Phil Hartman song set montages make Tarzan feel like music videos for Phil Hartman songs interjected into movie for no other reason than to make movie go faster, like Tarzan growing up through montage, or learning human culture through montage. Montages used too much, though music comments well on what's happening. What we get enough of and never too much of though is character development, especially when you remember we follow Tarzan from baby to adult. We get to see how he's treated as different by other apes, especially his adoptive father Kerchak, and we feel sympathy for his plight throughout. We also get good development of Jane, who is the only other important human character, and aside from Kala, most other characters are just there and/or Tarzan's friends, but ultimately, drama comes from Tarzan's plight and how he reacts to the arrival of the first "hairless wonders" since Kala found him. The animation also beautifully rendered. While traditional animation does not create photorealism, some water looks more detailed with the enhancement computers provide, and so does the jungle environment. Disney makes do with great animation before Pixar acquisition gives computers their larger takeover, but I digress. Mark Mancina's soundtrack does its job, but Phil Hartman's vocal songs are what really sells the emotions in music, even if they're poorly placed. What Tarzan does not place poorly is the humor, and there's lots of laughs to be had, although adults may not be as entertained by the humor (unless they watched it as kids). Tarzan ultimately warms heart, but less than others do. Disney dropped ball here, but picked it up after some notice.
October 1, 2016
Great way to close out the renaissance.