The Tempest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tempest Reviews

June 1, 2016
This was an interesting twist on the original story. Some of the visual effects were a bit over the top, but still overall enjoyable.
May 16, 2016
Julie Taymor's bastardisation of the Bard's tale of fantasy and magic is a startling visual treat but a narrative bore.
½ April 22, 2016
Julie Taymor certainly brings her skills as a theater director for this film adaptation of Shakespeare, but the play in its original form seemed more suited for the stage. Yet very line is taken verbatim for the play. This doesn't translate very well on screen. The pace and story flow is somehow uneven. The ensemble cast is still gives a good performance, the true delight in this movie is most certainly Helen Mirren.
January 22, 2016
A visually interesting Shakespeare adaption with a good Helen Mirren performance, but at the same time the plot was all over the place and it became quite boring.
½ October 13, 2015
Julie Taymor doing what Julie Taymor does: Reaching a little too far. The energy of the piece is there, the locations are stunning, and the details to costuming and physicality are there in spades, but the script meanders, the digital effects feel out of place, and the tone sways as though it were being tossed about in one of Prospera's storms. A little more cohesion would have been nice.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Tempest is an enjoyable production and is reminiscent of the Chinese fantasy / comedy / romance genre of films. However, there is nothing particularly outstanding about The Tempest. It is all nicely done, nice location, costuming, and effects, and a notable performance by Helen Mirren, but it is missing a certain wistfulness and charm. Still, the film is fine, all-in-all, and worth a look.
December 9, 2014
I want to love this film, but I just can't. It's lovely production design as ever from director Julie Taymour, but as awesome as Helen Mirren is, there is something that just doesn't sit right with her in the traditionally male role of Prospero. Maybe it's the unnecessary feminization of the name to Prospera which serves to beat you over the head with its feminist intent. This is unfortunate because Mirren was the perfect choice to tackle this gender bending attempt. The rest of the cast is quite good, with Russell Brand being the surprising standout playing nicely off of Alfred Molina and Felicity Jones being her usual impeccable self. Ben Whishaw's Ariel does what Mirren's Prospera should have been able to manage, walking the line between masculine and feminine with grace creating a character that is etherial and mysterious. Mirren is more than up to the task, but unfortunately the attempt falls short.
November 27, 2014
I loved this film. Critics can suck it.
November 4, 2014
Total disappointment...:(
½ October 10, 2014
Helen Mirren is incredible as Prospera. Amazing visuals. Ben Winshaw as Ariel - brilliant.
Alfred Molina and Russelll Brand - oh my goodness.
Taymor says this is Shakespeare's last (say that British, not American), and that it is a mix of his works, comedy, tragedy, romance. And the songs, that's something new for me, and they were such a mix. The costumes -Elizabethan Steampunk. And having a lead woman instead of a man. It does so much, I imagine, to the story, a learned woman, a usurped leader, a loving protective mother. It's definitely an adaptation, in the script, the words, songs from other plays. Still. So much good here.
July 23, 2014
couldnt watch it to the end, all this gay shakespeare talk
July 19, 2014
Don't know why this movie got such bad reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I usually have a lot of trouble with Shakespeare as I find the dialogue difficult to follow. But the cast, special effects, and typically Shakespearean weaving of drama and humor made this a very entertaining film. Absolutely riveting performance by Dame Mirren -- the woman cannot make a bad movie!
February 4, 2014
Beautiful to behold but at least 30% garbage. Missed opportunity for a great movie; instead, just visually appealing with some good acting. Hmmmm.
½ January 7, 2014
awkward, terrible soundtrack + amazing costumes + decent acting + special effects ranging from mildly impressive to glaringly offensive = an interesting interpretation of the material which is not wholly a failure but is certainly not a success. This movie is definitely worth seeing by merit of the originality of some parts of it's vision. It will however, be a disapointment, as parts of that vision are such a failure, and so simply could have been saved.
November 30, 2013
So, this was a weird adapation, and serves as Taymors... 4th? Example of who poorly she constructs a narrative. She is a visual and poetic powerhouse, but it just doesn't transfer to the screen. Which is a real shame because Helen Mirren's Prospera was excellent.

It's like her (Taymor) visual instinct gets int he way of structure, flow, and editing. Particular in the scenes with magic, which would work in a graphic medium, but not in a film context. The summoning of the ravens... Which somehow turned into a harpy... Was just weird. And she should of had Caliban take the marbles out of his mouth.

This doesn't deserve the hate it gets though. Watch this for some stunning performances by Helen Mirren and Ben Whishaw, as Ariel.
November 16, 2013
I enjoyed this version, original and dramatization made the story accessible and easier to follow. Thought Helen Mirren was great as Prospera, and Russell Brand brought Triculo bang up to date!
½ October 20, 2013
I always seemed to have issues with this type of dialogue, but I got through it pretty well. It's a gorgeous movie nonetheless.
½ October 9, 2013
Trailer look phenomenal. Love Taymor
½ September 25, 2013
Decent performances that are nearly forgettable due to Julie Taymor's confusing style, odd pacing and obvious staging that's an uninspired take on Shakespeare's final play.
September 20, 2013
It's Shakespeare, so I'm game.