The Terminator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terminator Reviews

August 15, 2017
For it's iconic place in pop culture
August 14, 2017
too awesome. I really love the terminator and everything about this series. This is a perfect introduction and way ahead of its time. awesome directing. Intense, thrilling, and even scary at times. Great action, very memorable score. so many great scenes and lines. The only downside to this movie was the technology which made some of the robot stuff look really unrealistic. I am ok with that from a movie made in 1984 (about 5 viewings)
August 12, 2017
The Terminator is a movie with lots of action and cool characters. Linda Hamilton did an amazing job performing Sarah Connor, that's for sure, and the whole storyline was great. Basically, a classic thatwill remain.
August 11, 2017
Terminator is an awesome movie. It has a great plot, great cast, and great action sequences. This movie is just pure awesomeness. A+
½ August 8, 2017
An absolute Classic Sci fi/Horror film by James Cameron arguably his Best Film next to Terminator 2 and Aliens. A very fast paced movie with a great story, Superb direction, Well Written Script and some good character development. Linda Hamilton is great as Sarah Conner bringing a great sense of innocence to her character. Michael biehn is also really good but Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator was just brilliant casting he really sold himself as an Unstoppable Killing Machine. I couldn't quite give this a perfect 5 stars because some of the special effects feel extremely dated but that's understandable since it came out 1984. Overall this is an intense and thrilling and sometimes frightening movie. just an all round Great Film and is right up there as One of my Favourite Movies of all time.
August 7, 2017
The Greatest Movie of All Time.
August 6, 2017
With all its flaws you can't but help forget that for its fast pacing, Intense action scenes, and it's cultural impact. That most action movies lack in today's movies. The Terminator is a prime example of a cult classic.
August 5, 2017
Well deserved 100% RT score!
August 3, 2017
Amazing story, Incredible performances, and excellent direction but the effects do not age well.
August 1, 2017
It's hard not to call the terminator Arnold's most iconic and well known role, either way I'd pay to to see someone who was able to find a legitimate shortcoming that this timeless classic possesses
½ July 29, 2017
Not as good as its sequel, but you can see why it earned one, although some effects don't hold up.
July 29, 2017
This movie is one of the greatest science fiction action movies of all time but the sequel is a little bit better with better action and better story also i think this is the best movie of the 80s
½ July 23, 2017
"I'LL BE BACK". Another clever and well produced movie directed by James Cameron. This right here is Schwarzenegger at one of his bests. This is indeed a freaky sci-fi thriller that robot/cyborg lovers will go for. Arnold S. was well picked to portray a humanoid robot with his especially clever tech-like voicing. A very cool music track and an a very neat intro compliments the film nicely. There's not much more to say except this was yet another well-done film when creative effects started to become amazing.
July 21, 2017
After having watched the "Terminator" franchise in its entirety over the past week, I have come to a realization.

In "The Terminator" (1984) the "Resistance" led by John Connor, having already won the war in the original (and most definitive) timeline, needed not send Kyle Reese back in time to save Sarah Connor from the T-800 that was sent to kill her. John Connor had already been born, and the war had already been won.

This is how I see "The Terminator" (1984) playing out if The T-800 had been sent back in time by Skynet to kill Sarah, and Kyle Reese had not been sent back in time by John Connor to protect Sarah.

-Sarah Connor was already carrying the child of Stan Morsky which would later become John Connor.

-The T-800 would have gone on its killing spree looking for Sarah Connor, capturing the attention of the news media, and prompting Sarah to seek police protection.

-The police would have arrived at the Tech Noir club sooner and picked up Sarah before the T-800 arrived because the police would not have been stalled due to Kyle Reese's presence in the area. (He was being looked for as well because of his assault on police in the beginning of the movie).

-The Police would have taken Sarah into protective custody.

-The T-800's search would have been stalled.

-Eventually Sarah Connor would have been moved to a military compound after police see that the killer, (The T-800) had not been apprehended or found.

-The T-800 would find Sarah's mother's address after having killed Ginger and Matt in Sarah's apartment.

-The T-800 would kill Sara's mother and "copy" her.

-Sarah would eventually call her "mother" from the military compound with her whereabouts with the T-800 intercepting the information.

-The T-800 would stock up on weapons at gun stores and kill the clerks, further drawing the attention of law enforcement and military personnel.

-The T-800 would storm the military compound with the police in hot pursuit as well as the military, the navy , and the coast guard having been alerted of it's presence in the vicinity of the compound.

-The military personnel would shoot the T-800 down with rifles. The T-800 would continue to advance.

-Seeing that their bullets had little effect on him, they would begin shooting him with grenade launchers, and anti-tank missiles decimating him.

-Bits and pieces of the T-800's cpu chips and the electrical components that constitute the T-800 were found, studied and duplicated preserving the Skynet foundational elements (These elements were already inevitable in the "Terminator universe however.)

-Skynet, judgement day, and the war against the machines commences.

-John Connor and the resistance defeats Skynet in 2029.

-Movie over.
July 20, 2017
The plot is fucking awesome, the character's are fucking awesome, the script is fucking awesome, the set design design was fucking awesome, watch this movie.
July 19, 2017
Well not as action packed as its sequel, The Terminator is an interesting movie with great dialogue, acting, and decent cinematography. Highly recommended
July 16, 2017
Exciting cinema at its best. The theme music, the storyline, FX, cast and performances are stellar. Top 10 favourite.
July 12, 2017
I actually prefer the sequel but given the budget James Cameron had this is a very good launching point for his and Arnold Schwarzenegger's careers.
July 12, 2017
'THE TERMINATOR' was directed by James Cameron and stars Arnold Schwartzeneger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. ?In the not too distant future, the machine have taken over out world and set out to exterminate the human race. The machines send back The Terminator(Arnold Schwartzenger), a cyborg killing machine with one objective: Eliminate Sarah Connor(Linda Hamilton). Rebellion leader, John Connor, sends back Kyle Reese(Michael Biehn) to protect Sarah and defeat The Terminator once and for all!

This movie is awesome. Do I think it's the greatest action or science-fiction movie of all time? God no. It's fantastic for what it is but I don't believe that it is a masterpiece. Needless to say, the acting and action is superb. I mean it is pretty close to perfect in some areas. Cameron's world building is incredible and he is a master at drawing the audience into his world. This movie is fantastic and I highly recommend you see it.

The story is great and very well written. Cameron is seriously a genius at world building and is very in depth at describing this world. That is also one of the movie's downfalls. This in depth world building required a lot of exposition and that doesn't work towards the movie's favour. Obviously a lot of exposition was needed for a new IP of this scale but everything can be toned down a bit and condensed and that is what I wish happened here. The climax is fantastic and possibly one of the best ever put to film. I wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it but I can assure you it is awesome. I wasn't too impressed by the ending because I predicted it but if you were, I wont take that away from you. It's a good ending I just saw it coming.

Schwarzenegger is cold, calculating and ruthless. I love it. The Terminator is one of the greatest antagonists in movie history and nothing can take that title away from him. The fact that he is relentless is terrifying and Schwarzenegger really sells that side of the character. Truly a masterclass of character creation.

Linda Hamilton was great as Sarah Connor and I really bought her arc from the beginning of the movie to the end. She starts as a bumbling waitress with a lot to live up to but slowly evolves into that legend and that is mostly down to Hamilton's awesome performance. She was the 80s Ripley. That is probably the best way of putting it.

Michael Biehn was surprisingly great as Kyle Reese. The point of his character was primarily to deliver exposition to the audience which isn't exactly great character work but aside from that he's an interesting human being that has a fascinating background that isn't really explained but is clear through Biehn's brilliant performance.

Technically speaking, this is a very well done movie. Aside from one messy semi-action sequence in the middle, I was very pleased with how the movie was shot and edited. The lighting is fantastic. Costume design is great. Set design is fantastic. The visual effects in this movie are mind-blowing and all effects used on The Terminator should be retroactively awarded an Oscar.

It is also one of the most quotable movies in history. 'Come with me if you want to live' and 'I'll be back' are arguably two of the greatest lines of dialogue ever uttered on screen. The quote 'Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there, it cant be bargained with, it cant be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop...EVER, until you are dead!' is one of my favourite lines of dialogue in film history and is truly the definition of perfection. It gives me chills whenever I hear it and is a work of art as far as writing goes.

Brad Fiedel's score for this movie is awesome and I absolutely treasure the score that signals impending doom from The Terminator. It is fantastic and I cannot praise that score any more. It is brilliant and I absolutely adore it.

The action is awesome in this movie. The car chase scene, the police station sequence, the masterpiece that is the climax; these are all truly great scenes that elevate this movie above the rest. They lack the fun aspect that most other action movie's possess but that doesn't make it any less awesome.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. Comparing the tone of this review and the rating may imply that my rating was too harsh but the flaws I mentioned earlier on are my only genuine flaws with this movie. I cannot flaw this movie any more and it is truly excellent. I highly recommend you see this movie. I'll rate it 8 'I'LL BE BACKS' out of 10.
July 11, 2017
Amazing film the best one in the series