The Terminator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terminator Reviews

½ November 15, 2017
You believe the man is really a machine, but the plot of something of a science fiction nightmare in the Making.
November 10, 2017
The Terminator shows its age every now and then especially with its dated special effects. After all, who could forget the infamous "Eye Trauma" scene? I also suck at imagining what the audience from the early 80s were like at the time this movie was released, similarly to Clerks. Not to worry, The Terminator is a sci-fi classic and I hear the sequel is even more awesome especially with its use of special effects with THAT movie. Arnold Schwarzenegger does a great job of playing the titular villain, a robotic hitman of sorts. The action sequences are enjoyable with its sweet, sweet gunplay. James Cameron managed to make this sci-fi flick work with its small budget and directs the best way he could at the time. The post-apocalyptic future is rather frightening and the actors' performances are great. While I find The Terminator to be overrated, that doesn't mean I hate it. It's still a classic and I hope that the sequel will get to blow me away. Especially since, much like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, they still hold up to this day from what I've heard of. I really hope so. Not sure what I might think about Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genesi-oh I'm sorry >:( "Genisys", though.
November 2, 2017
Fantastic in almost every way, The Terminator feature incredible action, amazing special effects, and great acting. Arnold Schwarzenegger was born to play a Terminator, which is both a good and a bad thing. Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton both give strong performances, and the script and direction are both top-notch.
November 1, 2017
This film is what 80s nostalgia is born from!! Great story arc which flows perfectly throughout the movie and the main characters are all great and you end up rooted for all three!!
October 24, 2017
I thought Arnold Swchwarzenegger is poor at acting, BUT once I saw it i thought it was a masterpiece his acting had been really good this was a intense movie.
October 23, 2017
The Terminator: Relenlessly fast paced, full of action, and overall non stop. The Terminator is an enduring Action/Sci-Fi classic that is near perfect.
September 29, 2017
Although the second one is better and this one has aged it still is a thrill and an amazing film.
September 29, 2017
James Cameron is awesome!
September 26, 2017
yes the first always the best
September 25, 2017
I honestly don't think that this movie needs an introduction, but I'll give it one anyway - "The Terminator" is a 1984 film crafted by legendary filmmaker James Cameron. The film tells the story of a cyborg assassin (Schwarzenegger) who is sent back in time from 2029 to 1984 to kill a young woman (Hamilton). Well, starting from the top, the movie's premise is certainly bizarre and outlandish, though Cameron and team seem to successfully transcend this obstacle by presenting the film's plot with utmost realism and seriousness. Quite possibly the greatest aspect of the film is, in fact, Arnold Schwarzenegger's truly menacing portrayal of the titular character. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this was a difficult performance, but Arnold pulls off one of his earliest acting roles with an intense amount of menace. The action sequences were also a masterstroke aspect of the film. Nearly every set piece in the film contained a good dose of thrills and jaw-dropping moments. The movie itself is, arguably, one of the greatest and most revolutionary science fiction films in film history. "The Terminator" was one of the first films to introduce the concept of self-aware artificial intelligence to the big screen, it catapulted the careers of Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Cameron to new heights, and simultaneously introduced several memorable lines of dialogue that most people are familiar with. In 2008 "The Terminator" was selected by the Library Of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". Did it deserve this honor? I believe so. For, "The Terminator" was a fun, intelligent, novel film for me to experience.
September 25, 2017
With all its flaws you can't but help forget that for its fast pacing, Intense action scenes, and it's cultural impact. That most action movies lack in today's movies. The Terminator is a prime example of a cult classic. One that stands as a prime example of cinema and James Cameron as a great director.
½ September 21, 2017
Well what can I say? This movie speaks for itself. Magnificent and game changing.
September 3, 2017
This Sci-Fi movie is dark, awesome and badass
½ September 2, 2017
One of the best time travel movies of all time with great performances from Biehn, Hamilton, and especially Schwarzenegger. Arnie is actually terrifying in this movie. Two thumbs up to you
½ August 30, 2017
Schwarzenegger does the perfect contrary of what is usually required to an actor, that is, to act like a machine, and he does it stunningly well (in a Frankenstein-like manner), and though neither Cameron's works nor the punk design of the film are pretty to my eyes, 'The Terminator', for that lone reason, still works alright with me, and knowing my penchants aren't kind to this type of picture, I guess that means that it is a solid work (though its visuals highly disturb my eyes).
August 29, 2017
The Terminator, is without doubt is a timeless classic that will forever sit among the top sci-fi actioners to have ever been produced, sitting right along side Predator and Aliens; Aliens actually being born whilst waiting for Arnie to finish Conan the Destroyer rather than recast him. Cameron preferred to classify his film as a tech-noir, sci-fi, horror, slasher movie that was inspired by Mad Max 2. It was his first blockbuster hit and only his second major feature after Piranha Part Two: The Spawning and when he noticed audiences were describing the film as Sci-Fi/action, it set him on a path to continue the trend.

Set in then, present day of 1984, a Terminator, not strictly a cyborg but a lethal killing machine covered in human flesh to help it infiltrate, is set back in time from 2029 to kill Sarah Connor, the future mother of the leader of the human resistance, thus resetting the time line and ending the war. Though, someone from the resistance is also sent back to both warn and protect Connor from the Terminator, ensuring her survival. How the story evolved was mostly as a result of a tight budget. Cameron couldn't set the entirely story in the future because of the hefty expense so, the time travel became an economic solution and actually added so much more possibility to the plot, enabling the audiences to relate to the film.

It was on such a restricted budget that it went over, often resulting in Cameron and crew to make do with what they could, sometimes Cameron even paying for shoots himself and he got cheeky with, or I should say without filming permits, basically doing hit-and-run shoots on location before authorities could turn up. This explains the majority of the film being shot at night. The sound was filmed in monophonic too and wasn't updated with a 5.1 stereo sound until 2001.

Other parts of the original script was greatly cut, but on top of budget it was also the lack of special effects that hindered the story which would eventually turn into the sequel. There was suppose to be two terminators sent back, one being the T-800 and the other being the T-1000 but it wasn't until Cameron made The Abyss in '89 that he knew they then had the computer technology to make the liquid Terminator work.

There was some controversy over the story with science fiction writer Harlan Ellison, who sued Orion Pictures over infringement, claiming the story was copied from a couple of episodes of The Outer Limits. Must to Cameron's disagreement and protest, Orion agreed to pay an out of court settlement and whilst there was a gag order in place, Cameron still denies any plagiarism quite openly.

What it gave birth to was one of the most iconic and influential sci-fi characters to ever be created. The creation and design of the Terminator is ingenius; a robot that's totally relentless, a programmed assassin, the ultimate killing machine that doesn't feel pain, remorse or fatigue, that will stop at nothing until it's task is complete. The late, legendary Stan Winston and team built the Terminator's endoskeleton out of real metal which gives it it's realistic look, however the negative side to the beautiful prop piece was that it was too heavy for the team to operate making it very impractical during shoots.

Schwarzenegger only did the movie for the money and initially wanted to play Kyle Reese, with Cameron actually against the idea of having a bodybuilder play the part of something that's suppose to blend in with other humans. But, putting logic aside, he went of the cinematic aspect of the film going with the notion that the audience wouldn't care much about the science behind it if they enjoyed what they saw.

Lance Henriksen had more than just a small part of Det. Vukovich in the film. He knew Cameron from the beginning and actually helped him pitch the script to producers by dressing up as the terminator, got into character and freaked the producer out, giving raise to the rumour that Henriksen was to play the T-800, but that was never the intention. Instead he does go on to play The android, Bishop in Cameron's following film, Aliens.

There were many actors considered for the role the T-800 prior to Schwarzenegger taking the role. Both Stallone and Mel Gibson declined. Tom Selleck, Randy Quaid, Michael Douglas, Jürgen Prochnow and Kevin Kline among many more were considered, even O.J. Simpson who was rejected on the grounds of not being convincing enough as a cold-blooded killing machine. Go figure.

Schwarzenegger trained hard, learning not just how to use multiple firearms, but the strip, dismantle and reassemble pretty much blind-folded which added to illusion of how efficient the Terminator was; and it also earned him a commendation from Soldier of Fortune magazine, a publication that normally slates movies for their misuse and misrepresentation of shooting guns. He got some of his inspiration from watching Yul Brenner's performance in Westworld, suggesting to Cameron that his terminator should not act like a machine, but to be a machine. He kept his distant from his co-stars so to minimise any emotional exposure, creating possibly his greatest performance of his career. Not forgetting his iconic and now trademark line "I'll be back" which was one of the 14 lines he's say in the entire film, a line Schwarzenegger initially had trouble saying and requested to change the script to say "I will be back" then, you couldn't stop him from saying it in nearly every other movie.

There were plenty of actors considered for the role of Kyle Reese before it went to Biehn, who, after reading the script, wasn't impressed and thought it silly until he met with Cameron and saw his passion and commitment was real. But Bruce Willis, Sting and Mickey Rourke among many more were considered to play Reese. I think there was an even longer list for Sarah Connor, with the role initially going to Cameron's first choice, Debra Winger, but Geena Davis, Daryl Hannah, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michelle Pfeiffer, Carrie Fisher were all considered with Sharon Stone, Lea Thompson and Kelly McGillis actually auditioning for the role.

It's ultimately Hamilton's defining role, and she's rarely remembered for playing anyone else, apart from maybe Catherine in the 80's TV series adaptation of Beauty and the Beast opposite Ron Perlman and maybe Dante's Peak. But, like the rest of the cast, it's impossible to see anyone else play those characters, with only Schwarzenegger returning to reprise his role three more times.

All the elements worked perfectly and while, yes, there could have always been improvements, it's still a prime example of what is achievable on such a tight budget. Even Brad Fiedel's score is iconic and globally recognised. It's probably the only thing he's ever remembered for but it's such a famous theme, created from an imaginary mechanical man's heart beat, the main theme is reworked throughout the film and really has the tone of 80's horror films.

Upon it's release, it remained at the top of the US box office for two weeks, surprisingly so for both crew and producers not realising what success this would spawn and blame was shouldered in Orion Pictures for its lack of advertising support. The teaser trailer above was voiced by Peter Cullen, who is best known for voicing Optimus Prime. The success of the film, which obviously kicked off a huge franchise secured both Arnie's and Cameron's career.

It's the perfect sci-fi, tech-noir, horror, action film that has spawned a huge franchise and dozens of carbon copies, being one of the more recognised characters in movie history and remains one of the greatest movies ever made.

Running Time: 10
Script: 9
Creativity: 10
Soundtrack: 10
Job Description: 10
The Extra Bonus Point: 10 for being exactly what it is, a timeless, iconic great.
August 26, 2017
I like action movies that also have likable characters and a good plot, and this movie has both. I like the dystopian future time travel romance elements, and Sarah's character growth. There's a couple good "horror" moments in here as well. Plus it's delightfully very 80s. Overall a really good movie.
August 26, 2017
I loved everything about this movie; from the characters to the storyline it's just perfect. Definitely a classic that will remain.
August 25, 2017
Crap movie. Swartznegger is such a poor actor
August 15, 2017
For it's iconic place in pop culture