The Big Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Year Reviews

January 6, 2019
I have watched this movie repeatedly. Love it. I don't understand the bad reviews. Memorable characters, performances, landscapes. Popping popcorn, calling in the fam and friends for another viewing.
November 25, 2018
This movie is deserving of more love than it received. The Big Year is a feel-good, lighthearted, clean-comedy, vibrant adventure that brings a noble, decent and intelligent hobby to life. Recommend for the whole family.
½ November 10, 2018
This film was almost good.
October 26, 2018
Don't get distracted by the cast. You may expect a movie full of gags, but it is more reminiscent of "Continental Divide" than "Animal House," with a side of "Best in Show" (because it goes deep into a subculture most people don't know much about and probably don't have much respect for) Just park your expectations and enjoy the movie for what it is.
October 25, 2018
Just a good movie about bird watching and the competition to be the best at something. Not really a comedy, but more of a dramedy when you consider the relationships between the three main characters and their individual struggles in family life to stay in the competition. What sacrifices are you willing to make to be the very BEST at something.
September 18, 2018
I think you have to go in knowing that it's a more mild movie considering the cast. They all come across much more genuine and less 'wacky' than many of the other films they have done. I find it a nice and relaxing movie.
June 30, 2018
My favorite movie!! So good.
January 7, 2018
A fun, feel good movie. It is not a laugh fest, so don't come expecting that, but it had funny, touching, and interesting moments that make it worth seeing. Also gives cool insight into birding.
January 6, 2018
this movie was wonderfully made...... great acting, excellent scenery, very cool bird sightings, and constant humor.... i can't imagine what some critics/people wanted from this movie, but i think their unmet expectations fueled their disappointments. three diverse actors with an incredible sense of humor, a great story, and seeing birders from a birder's perspective made for a movie i bought and watch frequently. additionally, the main song by eels was perfect for this movie and got me to check out all the other most excellent tunes the eels made. i encourage anyone to ignore the average movie rating and watch this movie.
January 4, 2018
Fantastic movie, despite a few "technical" issues that would only be noticed by serious birders. I have seen this film 14 times, with birding and non-birding friends. They did a great job recreating the camaraderie, the friendly (And sometimes not so friendly) competitiveness and the lengths we go to at times to see a good bird.
January 4, 2018
A really great film if you're or know closely a real birder ;)
January 4, 2018
Best birding movie! Everithing is perfect, the story, the cast and it's accurate!
January 4, 2018
Shut up this movie is great.
September 17, 2017
Most underrated movie ever. One of my favorites!
June 29, 2017
Not the movie but ACD
June 25, 2017
D+
A movie with one or two laughs in its entirety even with some of the biggest names in comedy cinema, the Big Year doesn't come close to its potential and is therefore a failure. A movie about bird watching will never be interesting unless there is something else to it.
½ April 26, 2017
Although it won't win awards or end up on anyone's "Best Films" list, The Big Year is a 2000's style comedy with a surprising amount of heart and humour, considering it's genre and time period. It has a certain earnest drive that other films of the like lack, which is why I enjoy watching it whenever it's on TV or Netflix. A guilty pleasure for some, blase for others, this film is the equivalent of a child's drawing. It's not that good, but it has certain elements which are enjoyable and you get a funny warm feeling when looking at it.
March 12, 2017
Although loaded with talent, top heavy with it in fact, this effort is so lackluster as to very nearly offend you with the waste perpetrated before your eyes. How lackluster? Jack Black comes across as a nice guy! (Say what?!?) Yep. If the police asked you to identify this film out of a line-up you will not be able to do it because you won't remember what it looked like.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 21, 2016
I can't understand the other reviews.. I ended up buying this one on Bluray after renting it. This movie shares something that birdwatchers are passionate about - and it takes you around the beautiful US. It's a very optimistic movie where 'enemies' can still be human to each other. It's one of my top 5 favorite movies.