The Boxtrolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boxtrolls Reviews

August 21, 2017
6.5/10 A big effort with sweet results, but it will not please everybody.Quite good nevertheless.
½ August 17, 2017
As usual, Laika impresses with their beautiful stop-motion animated visuals, but both the story and characters lack the depth of the studio's previous hits making 'The Boxtrolls' a somewhat insipid affair. There was potential to delve deeper into more interesting themes and it certainly had its moments, but ultimately, it feels very average.
½ August 15, 2017
The Boxtrolls is Laika's weakest animation, but still an enjoyable flick. When I say it's the weakest, it's not a negative remark because Laika have been pumping out consistently good animations that are enjoyable for everyone. This is no different, it's just up against a strong canon. As the title suggests, this is all about Boxtrolls. Mischievous crafty little creatures that hide themselves underground...and dress in boxes...and each are named after their boxed contents such as Fish...Eggs...Shoe...and I think at one point we had Oil? Once again, completely imaginative and that is really where the enjoyment comes from, the creativity was utilised to its maximum potential. A town living in fear of Boxtrolls where a cheese enthusiast employs the assistance of a wannabe cheese enthusiast, who is allergic to cheese, to exterminate them so that he can enjoy cheese in the royal cheese tasting room. Did I mention that cheese was involved? It's bonkers. Our villain is villainous because he wants to wear a white hat. ALL of this, for a white hat. Just...just beautiful. Obviously conveying the point of just being yourself no matter your background or materialistic ambitions. I always appreciate stop motion animation, it's such a time consuming craft that really conveys the creator's inventiveness well. There are moments where computer animation intertwines with the stop motion, and unfortunately is noticeable, but for the most part looks stunning. The voice acting was spot on!! I could not believe that Snatcher was voice by Ben Kingsley, ridiculously good! Jared Harris and Richard Ayoade were also noteworthy and brought life into their characters. Some of these characters are not as fleshed out as I would like, but are certainly memorable. From a miniature henchman who captures Boxtrolls like The Terminator to Snatcher's burlesque alter ego Madame Frou Frou. Plenty of funny moments as well, I thought the script was well rounded and easily appeals to both children and adults. The story is somewhat basic but Laika utilised imagination to the max and it paid off.
August 13, 2017
Bit dark for those brought up on Disney Princess movies, but all the better for it. My youngest has ask to watch it every day since first seeing it. I love Richard Ayoade and Nick Frost's characters.
½ August 4, 2017
Delightful, majestic, sweet, like good proper emmentaler but without the plot holes.
½ July 30, 2017
For what it falls short of brilliance in the story department. this Oscar-nominated labour of love from Laika makes up for in its use of inventiveness and imagination in stop-motion challenges to bring about the most astoundingly excitable visuals.
June 26, 2017
Con Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark) es una historia muy bonita, y debió ser un gran trabajo de diseño y elaboración de personajes, escenarios.
June 19, 2017
Great family film and one to get for the collection
June 1, 2017
Really cute. Bad last act
May 26, 2017
Sure, the story may remind others of Disney's Tarzan, but the stop-motion animation is spectacular and some of the characters are enjoyable to watch. Much better than Coraline and ParaNorman, which makes it Laika's best film in my opinion. OK, not THE best, that honor goes to Kubo And The Two Strings, but I'll get to that one.
April 27, 2017
I LOVE this film. I can watch it over and over and just marvel at the look of the film. The story is simple, but still interesting. The Villain, Snatcher, is one of my favorite designs from Laika's team.

I hope that Laika never stops making their films. Everyone is is so filled with heart and artistry.
April 9, 2017
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
March 31, 2017
The Boxtrolls tiene una buena idea de base, un diseño de personajes bastante pasable pero el guion es lo mas flojito de ésta historia.
½ March 12, 2017
One of the best stop-motion animations I've seen in a long time - no surprise given the 10 years in production it's taken, and investment in new technology - 3d printing for example to allow for a much greater range of faces / facial expressions to be used than would normally be possible, and some CGI - although I understand this was just in post-production to add to some of the larger crowd scenes where stop-motion would have been limited.
But forgetting all the technical wizardry the story and characters are really strong with some unsurprisingly great performances from the likes of Ben Kingsley, Simon Pegg and even some of the smaller characters such as henchmen voiced by Pegg's partner in crime Nick Frost and the always funny Richard Ayoade.
Original and highly entertaining - fun for kids of all ages!
March 5, 2017
I was so disappointed in LAIKA. Absolute stupidity. Don't waste your time.
February 20, 2017
This film is great, I can't stop watching
½ February 17, 2017
The boxtrolls is very disappointing, it's pretty bad, very little of the animation is fine, but besides that this movie sucks
½ February 15, 2017
Bonkers animation from the team behind the gorgeous Kubo and the Two Strings. Plot? Something about a villainous ogre (Ben Kingsley channelling Michael Gambon) kidnapping all the petty-thieving boxtrolls in order to ingratiate himself with a lord and gain access to vast amounts of cheese. To be honest, it's the animation and production design that'll make you whistle: Tim Burton meets Strewelpeter.
February 10, 2017
SqwertyuioplkjhgggfddsaaZzxccvvbn,,.faR. Hokpggyio
LljgcXhkl

LkjxAbllgn,mnvxzassddffghhjjklppooiiiiuuttyeerrwqdjl

KZtjgf
February 3, 2017
Absolutely brilliant, watch it as a family and be prepared to laugh as much as the kids.