The Campaign - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Campaign Reviews

½ October 17, 2016
The Campaign pits two comedic powerhouses in Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis against one another in a political satire. Ferrell is a congressman who has won his seat without contest for years until the large corporations bring in Galifianakis to replace him and to do their bidding.

Director Jay Roach, who has delivered blockbusters like Meet The Fockers and Austin Powers, isn't bringing us something original as one is able to deduce where The Campaign is heading. That said, with two stars at the top of their game, the jokes come fast and thick!

Audiences will forgive the predictability as they chuckle along wholeheartedly and walk away more than satisfied as Ferrell and Galifianakis deliver brilliantly. The Campaign is one to enjoy.
October 14, 2016
Didn't realize I was watching a documentary
October 2, 2016
it is funny however does go into the trap of poor cliches, THE ENDING, IT IS REALLY ANNOYING
½ September 4, 2016
This movie and John Dimaggio reciting quotes from Donald Trump with his Zapp Brannigan voice gave me plenty of chuckles. A must watch for every Will Ferrell fan out there. And I'm SO using Cam's line "I. Fucked. Up." as a reaction image in my Facebook account.
August 20, 2016
This movie could have been a horrible turd, but Zach and Will have great chemistry, and the laughs are deep and hard. It holds up.
August 10, 2016
Definitely not my favorite Will Ferrel movie, but it has its moments.
July 12, 2016
It's not as good as I hoped for but it's still funny thanks to the two leads.
July 1, 2016
The Campaign is hilarious and brilliant. Impossible not to laugh! Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis are comedy gold. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 9, 2016
Another crude humour comedy which, unlike others, is actually surprisingly funny. I sure had a good laugh with this one...and that's all one can expect. The plot isn't too bad. I'm not a huge politics person so don't care how good of a political satire this is.
½ May 31, 2016
The Campaign is a comedy with typical and predictable story arcs. Ferrell and Galifanakis have good chemistry, but the content never amuses or incites genuine chuckles. The story falls flat, the comedy falls flat, there is little to enjoy and even less to remember. The campaign is another 21st century comedy dud among many of similar nature.
May 27, 2016
All time favorite!! So many quotable moments!!
If you haven't seen this movie, watch it now.
May 17, 2016
I love these guys but not this movie
April 27, 2016
Ferrell and Galifianakis did not work that well together. The laughs were few and far between. Besides a few laughs I was sitting in boredom during the rest of the film.
½ April 22, 2016
Sporadically hilarious, highly predictable and consistently inconsistent and silly. Though it touches the right chords occasionally, the end product could have been a lot better than it turned out to be. Zach is perfectly cast who embraces his comfort zone of playing unaware of the fact being dimwitted, his conversation with his father on the boat easily being the best scene of the movie.

Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) is an unopposed congressman for 4 consecutive terms who is sleazy, irresponsible and stubborn. The Motch brothers (John Lithgow & Dan Aykroyd) are billionaires who plan to sell of District 14 to China and are looking for a willing candidate to sign the paperwork. They zero-in on Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis) a simple, dimwitted tram tourist guide but comes from a political family. When Marty shows up to nominate himself to compete against Cam Brady, the politics turn ugly.

The movie is watchable only for Zach's trademark performance making all the silliness around him look practical. There are instances where the script tries to satire on current politics but soon resorts to physical and silly comedy. The climax is too predictable and sappy, they could have thought a lot better than this. The entire script becomes meaningless with one thought as to why Motch brothers didn't go Cam Brady in the first place. Farrell embraces his character as an over-the-top sleazy, foul mouthed politician but nothing worth a mention. The editing and finishing are slick, does get dragging occasionally and finally lacks enough firepower in writing department to make it a wholesome winner.

Superb lead performances held back by an underwhelming script
March 1, 2016
not a typical will Ferrell movie but it's hilarious
½ February 9, 2016
Similar to most of other Will Ferrell films, it can get a bit over the top sometimes but it is a funny movie with a good cast.
January 9, 2016
Funny. Not subtle, but funny.
January 3, 2016
It was ok, but rather predictable. I still enjoyed it though.
½ December 20, 2015
120817: As with any ability, the more you practice, the better you get. I laughed out loud a lot during this movie. A very entertaining film even if it does suffer with the standard, often draining, moral of the story portion. Many laughs and a great lead into my weekend. Almost clicked four stars.
December 18, 2015
An enjoyable, at times silly, but very funny political satire - Ferrell, Sudeikis and Galfianakis are super