The Cell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cell Reviews

½ April 3, 2018
Despite the films haunting visuals and intriguing premise. The characters are thin and the plot lacks any real stakes or logic.
½ March 27, 2018
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid and I re-watched it recently to see how it held up after all these years. The answer is, not bad. Not bad at all. The premise of the movie is still very unique and compelling, the plot unfolds very nicely. The imagery and scenes in this film are incredibly disturbing and beautiful. The addition of Jennifer Lopez as the main protagonist does not even diminish this movie's value. I am still very impressed!
February 10, 2018
Visually stunning, but just falls short of classics like Silence of the Lambs or Fear and Lothing. But it's pretty much a combination of the two
½ January 2, 2018
Pretentious art house trash with extremely hammy acting and some admittedly cool visuals; visuals which, while being Tarsem Singh's psychedelic trademark, really ultimately slow the film down and feel like exercises in disrupting the storytelling. I like the way Brian Fuller used some of his techniques (and borrowed many visuals) while managing to keep it germane to the plot at hand. It's stupid in the same way it is when Zack Snyder dos it - the difference between this and something like Sucker Punch, for me, though is I enjoy the serial killer-y subject matter. Other than that it's pretty much a big waste.
½ August 21, 2017
Visually stunning for sure. Dark and creepy. But something is missing.
August 14, 2017
The Cell is the directorial debut of Tarsem Singh, and it stars Jennifer Lopez, Vince Vaughn, and Vincent D'Onofrio in a science fiction horror about a killer that passes out until the police found him, but don't have a way of communicating with him, especially with a victim woman who's trapped, can't get out, and is on a time limit with the water flowing in to her. There is a way to talk to the killer, and that's to go inside of his psyche from a machine that gets one of the crew members to go inside people's mind, see what they think of. I was curious to see this movie only to the fact that the Nostalgia Critic hated this film, and I knew that the director makes films that are style over substance. So for me seeing the film for myself, and I didn't hate this, just only thought it was a wasted disappointment. The acting is fine, although Vincent D'Onofrio can be intimidating in some aspects, and a bit silly in others, which I pretty much think he's just having a lot of fun with this, and the effects do look really nice. The premise of going inside a killer's mind is really fascinating and creepy that you would know why that person thinks the ways that they do when killing people. The only problem with that is that it doesn't go in a way that makes us invested in the killer's mind because we don't know anything about any characters, other then what they do, especially the killer, and when we get a little about the killer, it's not even enough, and I wanted a lot more. The imagery that it has doesn't have much purpose being there, and when something creepy happens, I wasn't creeped out about it and was indifferent to what's happening. Some of the imagery would've been better off as paintings which would make sense of the visual way, but when you see that in the killer's mind without any reason behind that other then to make us make suggestions, it just come off as pretentious. The climax was starting to get a little silly, and was wasting a bit of time when there's a woman who's slowly going to die. The Cell is one of those films that could've been so much more, and that it would've been a lot more effective if it was by a different director, whether it be David Fincher, even though science fiction is not quite his forte after Alien 3, David Lynch, or even Christopher Nolan as he almost did a premise like that called Inception where we go into the heroes' dreams, which is somewhat their psyche. I do understand why people enjoy it as I wasn't bored in what I was seeing, but I also understand why people would hate it, I pretty much think it was an all right film.
June 30, 2017
It starts out like Silence of the Lambs, but it turns into A Nightmare on Elm street. It's fairly entertaining, though.
May 7, 2017
The Cell has some issues in its presentation. Anything outside the creative images of the minds of the occasionally dull but on-point characters is mostly uninteresting and escapes the investment of the audience. The acting is hit-or-miss, the themes are intriguing on paper, and while the last half-hour is superior to anything before it, it doesn't make up for what was an emotionally distant setup. This film could use an extra hour, allowing audiences to become more invested and encapsulated by the worlds presented in the minds.
½ May 4, 2017
Creepy images. Poor storyline. (First and only viewing - 3/16/2015)
April 26, 2017
Played out story but cool psychotic dream scenes
February 27, 2017
A visual masterpiece. It's like viewing a very high production value fashion spread as a set of motion pictures. The story and plot are just boxes for the moving photographs and set designs to fill in with.
January 8, 2017
Only remember some of it, kinda want to see it again
December 22, 2016
Interesting for a while , but near the end it looked like Vince Vaughn not realy had to bangle on that machinery and cabels ...the answer was just on the Torture-Table ...make a couple of Phone-calles and they knew where the Serialkiller has hidden the Woman ! SOMDVD
December 8, 2016
Some effects have aged decently, others aged terribly, but one thing consistent about The Cell is how nonsensical it all is.
½ November 2, 2016
I thought it was great!!!!! Vincent d'onfrio did an amazing job and Jennifer Lopez could have done better but I still think the movie was one of the best thrillers I had seen in a while. I own it and watch it a lot
September 26, 2016
very cool idea, not the best acting overall but D'Onofrio is fantastic. some pretty twisted stuff going on here but not in a bad way. There are a few scenes with pretty disturbing violence so stay away if that bothers you.
½ September 12, 2016
The beauty of this movie comes from the stolen matthew barney's imaginery and beautiful elegant scary figures. The movie itself is boring, with missed occasions (anticipating possible scary outcomes... without hearing anymore from them) and flat characters.
½ September 1, 2016
the worst movie I have ever seen. and I've seen lots of movies
August 21, 2016
I enjoyed this in the theatre. I saw wookies in her brain.
July 31, 2016
Definitely one of the most disturbing & visually-stunning films I've seen so far.