The Devil's Double - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Double Reviews

September 24, 2017
Superb performance from Cooper
½ August 15, 2017
The Devil's Double is, to put it simply, uninteresting. No two ways about it, there is nothing exciting on show...absolutely nothing. It's not thrilling, it's not funny and it's not dramatic. So what's the point? Based on the true story of Latif who is chosen to be the body double of Saddam Hussein's son, Uday. Obviously, Latif does not have a choice and so he is forced to adjust to a lavish lifestyle of sex, money and power. Problem is, director Lee Tamahori really didn't fully showcase this to its maximum potential. Everything felt restrained and all too familiar. However, there were glimpses of the effects of tyranny. A rather depressing example was when Uday raped a bride in which shortly after she then committed suicide...on her wedding day. That's powerful and the shocking imagery will probably leave you terrified. That's the only time where this 'unlimited' power is fully demonstrated. Several night club scenes where we listen to 80's dance music (including Spin Me Right Round...always a classic), see naked people dance and wave some golden AK47's in the air. It's a lavish lifestyle, yes...but it's never used to enhance the story. It's just an environment to try and shock us. Dominic Cooper is the saviour, his dual performance as both Latif and Uday was electric and refreshing. A rather underrated performance of his. The supporting cast? Forgettable. Instantly. Fortunately the central performance was enough to keep me awake. Tamahori's direction was fine, nothing outstanding but he did the job well. Some of the gory scenes were a tad excessive but does highlight one point: "Don't make Uday angry, and always do what he says". Scenes where he attempts to pick up young girls for sex were unnecessary. Show it once, fine. Show it three times, not fine. We get it, Uday was an awful guy. If the scene wasn't powerful enough first time around, it's not going to be for the third time. The film is fine, it's functional and there are much worse films available. Dominic Cooper was excellent and just about saved an uninteresting film from being bad.
January 5, 2017
Great depiction of the true story of Saddam Hussein's son and body double.
December 24, 2016
It was not a stolen identity, but forcibly given.

The film was based on the book of the same name that tells the true story of a young Iraqi man Latif, who was forced to body double the Saddam Hussein's playboy son, Uday. This is the reason I was not interested in this. Usually biopics are made to inspire the viewers, but there are negative films as well and this is one of those. Actually, it was not about the Saddam or his politics or his family, except Uday. So it was told from the perspective of Latif. How he suffered and fought back was the film focused on.

After watching it so delay, I think I was wrong about it. The film is for adults, but the thing is it reveals lots of dark secrets of Uday's lifestyle. Sadly the film did not cover much of the Saddam Hussein's events. The Kiwi filmmaker did his best. Dominic Cooper's performance in the dual role was the highlight. That should be the reason to watch this, because you know like me, people are turning it away once they read whose story is this. This film is here to remind us the bad history about the bad people, other than that there's nothing in it.

6/10
November 25, 2016
A lazy and terribly-directed movie that depicts Uday Hussein as a ridiculous caricature in what is a redundant story devoid of any subtlety. Besides, Dominic Cooper is such a mediocre actor, unable to lend any sort of complexity to the two identical main characters.
½ November 22, 2016
Although a glimpse into the decadence of the Hussein regime this bears the serious flaw of being one note. And yes, that note is loud.
August 16, 2016
"O dublê do diabo" tem problemas que passam pela construção um tanto over de personagens, uma visão claramente americana e direção irregular. Ã, no entanto, envolvente e conta com uma atuação interessante de Dominic Cooper.
July 23, 2016
Whilst by no means the intense insight it promises to be, Lee Tamahori's film about Latif Yahia (Dominic Cooper), an army lieutenant who is given the unenviable role as Uday Hussein's (also Cooper) body double, is consistently captivating, at least from a voyeuristic point of view. The film never really feels like Latif's story, serving more as a depiction of Uday's wicked nature, and there are some missed opportunities regarding Uday's relationship with his immediate family, though his devotion to his mother Sajida (Frida Cauchi) is hinted at. Despite its shortfalls, the performances are strong across the board (including Ludivine Sagnier and an unrecognisable Philip Quast as Saddam Hussein), and 'The Devil's Double' proves to be a worthwhile exercise into the ramifications of money, power, and excess.
½ July 15, 2016
Opening to choppy editing, hammy acting, and an overly zealous narrative, The Devil's Double instantly suggests a tonally awkward film awaits you, however as the film flowers and you become drawn into this crazed sadistic world of very real people, the film grips you. Nail biting tension ensues as psychotic crimes take place through one very troubled individual. Watching on from the straight man only allows you to see the actions of Uday Suddam Hussein and never truly understand but it isn't to be fair that isn't the morality tale you are after. The double finds himself led into the most bizarre of worlds and you will scream for him to get out whilst he still can, as at the end of the day when some of the most evil people in the world tell you they love you then things won't end nicely. The film does suffer from an over the top finale that wasn't really needed and the lack of tight direction in the opening set up. At first Cooper's portrayal of Uday seems pantomime but as the story unfolds it becomes suspenseful and intense. Not the easiest of watches but definitely worth your time.
½ May 20, 2016
Sorta fun, in a way.
May 14, 2016
Despite a commanding double performance by Dominic Cooper, the "truth" told about this depraved character and his body double was tragically disgusting and left me not able to enjoy the experience at all.
April 10, 2016
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the events, and Lee Tamahori doesn't exactly redeem himself - I've never liked his work - but Dominic Cooper is riveting in his dual role, making Uday utterly despicable and Latif thoroughly sympathetic with apparent ease. It's just a shame the special effects aren't better - a couple of times Cooper's head is clearly CG'd onto a double - but then, Tamahori never seems to care much if his effects are terrible, given the poor quality of the CGI in his other films. Ludivine Sagnier seems an odd choice for her role, though I suppose all that is really required of her is to be sexy, which she does without trying (though she's proven herself capable of considerably more). Philip Quast as Saddam? Didn't he use to be on Play School? Weird.

It's very violent in parts, darkly amusing in others, but pretty weak overall. It's Cooper's performance alone that kept me interested.
February 4, 2016
An apparently completely bogus but fairly entertaining yarn based on the story of tyrant Uday Hussein's doppelganger. Dominic Cooper is quite impressive in a dual role but the ludicrous plot runs a little thin by the end.
January 12, 2016
BRILLIANT ACTING!! DOMINIC COOPER IS NOW ONE OF MY FAVORITE ACTORS!
½ December 13, 2015
Looks like Freddie Mercury
½ November 19, 2015
I really enjoyed this film!!! I do not see often (arabian or whatever) films, but this film is very interesting and enterntainment.
it show us how the life is in other countrys beyond ours, and sometimes I feel lucky to live where I live.
the double performance from dominic cooper is simply outstanding, he makes this movie works, I´ve never seen him before in any film, but to this moment I will following him to close.
and one of the points that made me to liked so much this film was that this one it´s based on a true story.......well after seen it I made an investigation about who was "Uday ussein" and his family.
the film doesn´t show us deep territory about the war in that counrty, it feels superficiality some times but it´s still a must see.
½ November 19, 2015
Ignore the crap title and even worse poster. This was much better than expected.
½ June 24, 2015
I don't know if I should be commenting more on the movie or the terrible real life events.
May 10, 2015
Crazy that its based on a true story
April 22, 2015
Years ago I had read excerpts about Udday Hussein and thought someone should make a movie about him. So with great anticipation, I was eager to see this film. The Devil's Double goes that little bit more, providing a third person witness to the madness through his body double, Latif. Whilst Dominic Cooper is fabulous at playing the split role of Udday and Latif, the film generally fades into nowhere as it's torn between history and a good, hollywood story. A few nasty set mistakes and some budget CGI and the Devil's Double falls a bit flat and is only memorable through Udday's sadistic debauchery.