The Devil's Double - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Double Reviews

August 16, 2016
"O dublê do diabo" tem problemas que passam pela construção um tanto over de personagens, uma visão claramente americana e direção irregular. Ã, no entanto, envolvente e conta com uma atuação interessante de Dominic Cooper.
July 23, 2016
Whilst by no means the intense insight it promises to be, Lee Tamahori's film about Latif Yahia (Dominic Cooper), an army lieutenant who is given the unenviable role as Uday Hussein's (also Cooper) body double, is consistently captivating, at least from a voyeuristic point of view. The film never really feels like Latif's story, serving more as a depiction of Uday's wicked nature, and there are some missed opportunities regarding Uday's relationship with his immediate family, though his devotion to his mother Sajida (Frida Cauchi) is hinted at. Despite its shortfalls, the performances are strong across the board (including Ludivine Sagnier and an unrecognisable Philip Quast as Saddam Hussein), and 'The Devil's Double' proves to be a worthwhile exercise into the ramifications of money, power, and excess.
½ July 15, 2016
Opening to choppy editing, hammy acting, and an overly zealous narrative, The Devil's Double instantly suggests a tonally awkward film awaits you, however as the film flowers and you become drawn into this crazed sadistic world of very real people, the film grips you. Nail biting tension ensues as psychotic crimes take place through one very troubled individual. Watching on from the straight man only allows you to see the actions of Uday Suddam Hussein and never truly understand but it isn't to be fair that isn't the morality tale you are after. The double finds himself led into the most bizarre of worlds and you will scream for him to get out whilst he still can, as at the end of the day when some of the most evil people in the world tell you they love you then things won't end nicely. The film does suffer from an over the top finale that wasn't really needed and the lack of tight direction in the opening set up. At first Cooper's portrayal of Uday seems pantomime but as the story unfolds it becomes suspenseful and intense. Not the easiest of watches but definitely worth your time.
July 15, 2016
A lazy and badly directed movie that depicts Uday Hussein as a ridiculous caricature in what is a redundant story devoid of any subtlety. Besides, Dominic Cooper is such a mediocre actor, unable to lend any sort of complexity to the two identical main characters.
½ May 20, 2016
Sorta fun, in a way.
May 14, 2016
Despite a commanding double performance by Dominic Cooper, the "truth" told about this depraved character and his body double was tragically disgusting and left me not able to enjoy the experience at all.
April 10, 2016
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the events, and Lee Tamahori doesn't exactly redeem himself - I've never liked his work - but Dominic Cooper is riveting in his dual role, making Uday utterly despicable and Latif thoroughly sympathetic with apparent ease. It's just a shame the special effects aren't better - a couple of times Cooper's head is clearly CG'd onto a double - but then, Tamahori never seems to care much if his effects are terrible, given the poor quality of the CGI in his other films. Ludivine Sagnier seems an odd choice for her role, though I suppose all that is really required of her is to be sexy, which she does without trying (though she's proven herself capable of considerably more). Philip Quast as Saddam? Didn't he use to be on Play School? Weird.

It's very violent in parts, darkly amusing in others, but pretty weak overall. It's Cooper's performance alone that kept me interested.
February 4, 2016
An apparently completely bogus but fairly entertaining yarn based on the story of tyrant Uday Hussein's doppelganger. Dominic Cooper is quite impressive in a dual role but the ludicrous plot runs a little thin by the end.
January 12, 2016
½ December 13, 2015
Looks like Freddie Mercury
½ November 19, 2015
I really enjoyed this film!!! I do not see often (arabian or whatever) films, but this film is very interesting and enterntainment.
it show us how the life is in other countrys beyond ours, and sometimes I feel lucky to live where I live.
the double performance from dominic cooper is simply outstanding, he makes this movie works, I´ve never seen him before in any film, but to this moment I will following him to close.
and one of the points that made me to liked so much this film was that this one it´s based on a true story.......well after seen it I made an investigation about who was "Uday ussein" and his family.
the film doesn´t show us deep territory about the war in that counrty, it feels superficiality some times but it´s still a must see.
½ November 19, 2015
Ignore the crap title and even worse poster. This was much better than expected.
½ June 24, 2015
I don't know if I should be commenting more on the movie or the terrible real life events.
May 10, 2015
Crazy that its based on a true story
April 22, 2015
Years ago I had read excerpts about Udday Hussein and thought someone should make a movie about him. So with great anticipation, I was eager to see this film. The Devil's Double goes that little bit more, providing a third person witness to the madness through his body double, Latif. Whilst Dominic Cooper is fabulous at playing the split role of Udday and Latif, the film generally fades into nowhere as it's torn between history and a good, hollywood story. A few nasty set mistakes and some budget CGI and the Devil's Double falls a bit flat and is only memorable through Udday's sadistic debauchery.
½ March 28, 2015
Well played, fairly interesting true story telling.

The rest of it is a bit flat, ragged and somewhat pointless.
½ March 25, 2015
seen twice now, as interesting as the first time. Shamless portrail of real life sad events.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:Higher 7/10

The Devil's Double is a sinister film which although is that and whole
lot more dark with undertones, turn's out to be a just about Good film
and one that can make you think but also fear and feel for the
characters. I watched it expecting gore and violence and yes you do get
it, but I also expected lot's of poor shooting and driving scenes of
which there are none and save's the film from a lower rating. So I
thought it was just about Good film, and here is why I thought so.

Story is firm and as I say it is dark and vicious but not ever scene is
torture and gore(although it can seem like it as in certain parts of
the film). Domonic Cooper is hard not to talk about in positive terms
but we will get to him soon, otherwise from him this film is fairly
good and the story holds up well enough to make it a good film to
watch. I particularly liked the end because there is a certain thrill
from watching well, you will see for yourself if you watch it but let
us say the ending is tense at moments.

Now to Cooper and what a performance he give's us from this, he play's
both the protagonist and antagonist and serves them up delightfully
with a kind of madness in one role and a more sophisticated turn with
the other. His accent is great and he actually looks like he is from
Iraq, let alone trying to make him look the characters. I didn't care
the supporting cast and I felt they were pretty much all stale and
although supported Cooper well no one came near to being as good as him

I think Lee Tamahori did a good job here and made the film look nice
with all that is going in it like. He used his ever present dark
directing skill to master through a story of Latif Yahia(who's
experiences are the basis of the film from his book), and bring with it
a film not afraid to be called an even higher type of 18 film and touch
the boundaries of what is right and wrong in film. The setting is
perfect and some great vehicles are seen throughout, nothing to make
the film better but a nice thing to look at mid way through the movie.

Criticisms come in the way of well unneeded violence in some parts and
stale parts in the other which obviously don't make this a bad film, it
is good I said but parts can be pointless and for too long in this
nightclubs and guards being shot, women being harassed and men
threatened, you can't help but feel they could have done something else
to freshen up the script and not just have Latif having a bad time.

Listen the film is violent no doubt, I won't spoil the death scenes but
they make you wince or look away if your of a particularly squeamish
nature but all the same it can be the darkest deaths which really bring
out a certain side of the character. I think people who enjoy dark
drama and little action may just like this, and even more so than I did
but nonetheless I feel people will dislike it and get bored with it,
but don't expect to be bored just by watching the trailer etc.

So overall a just about good film, give it a higher 7/10 and I think it was
falling maybe towards the end but just held on to it's rank here. Go
watch it and see for yourself the dark twisted mind of a man, son of a
dictator and one who is crazy and sadistic, and his doppelganger.
November 5, 2014
Expected more. Some of the acting was cheesy.
½ November 5, 2014
Am not sure if this is true events what happened in the Iraqi royal house.

But for Uday's performance it was astounding compared to the hero's role but that's not bad news for Dominic since he plays both roles.