The Dinner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dinner Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
This movie is terrible. I've never seen a movie that drags on as much as this one, it truly drags on from beginning to end.
½ August 13, 2017
A great performance by Steve Coogan, ruined by the worst editing I have ever seen in a movie. It drags on an on. The transitions from the narrative to flashbacks take forever to kick in. A sequence about the battle at Gettysburg could have been completely taken out without harm to the story. Some serious film editor should step in and make their own version. There is enough footage and dialogue to come up with a decent movie. As it is, it's just tedious and confusing to watch.
August 13, 2017
This movie is horrible. given the cast, you would think this movie would be okay/solid. the flashbacks are horribly placed. The flow of the story is bad. Thus, the script is bad. No excuse for a movie being this bad. The movie's trailer is the only appealing thing about this movie.
½ August 13, 2017
This was literally the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. It was all over the place. Considering the all star cast I expected more. The middle scenes of Gettysburg were so confusing, Paul was an annoying character I just wanted him to shut the F up the whole movie. It was awful.
August 12, 2017
This is a brilliant film. I am very surprised at the poor reviews. The film presents a stark moral dilemma which encompasses so many issues, and the personalities shift in-and-out of good-bad/sane-imbalanced focus with such surprising speed and nuance... the cadence is meant to be jarring and disconcerting, the flashbacks are meant to challenge all your assumptions, you are supposed to go down a rabbit hole-- with both fathers and sons, wives and mothers, and especially brothers. This is a great film. See it, and be prepared to be unsettled, and have a heated discussion about it with friends and family.... over Dinner.
½ August 12, 2017
Great cast but this movie was a total waste!! This movie is boring, slow, confusing, n seriously crappy ending!! I really was hoping I?d like this movie. I wouldn?t recommend this movie to anyone!
½ August 11, 2017
Horrible horrible movie.... So frustrated after wasting 2 hours of my life watching this junk! Worst movie I've ever seen
August 5, 2017
This is a film about a group of people who are incredibly full of it. They medicate rather than self-analyze. They lie and cheat rather than take responsibility. They play the victim to manipulate others. They take and take and take from others, all the while acting as if they are the ones suffering unduly. They are the exemplification of aristocratic evil: banal and infuriatingly inhuman.

Thank goodness our upper classes aren't actually like this... *snicker*
August 4, 2017
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and validates the simple fact that movie critics are hopeless blowhards. As usual, the "audience score" is MUCH more accurate. I wanted to punch every actor and the director in the face after watching this. Just awful. 2/10.
½ August 3, 2017
What an extraordinary waste of time. Wow, one of the worst works.i have ever seen.
½ August 3, 2017
horrific. Incoherent. Terrible ending. Worst film in memory
½ July 26, 2017
Disjointed messy family drama, that lingers forever to deliver a small payload. There is probably a good movie somewhere in there. To me it tried to be like the movie Carnage (Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, John C. Reilly) but it falls short and is a poor imitation. Probably with the right editing job it could be salvaged, or if done with less flashbacks and plot jumps. It kinda lost me midway and barely cared enough to finish it.
½ July 5, 2017
The most stupid movie I ever watch, donot waste ur time, there no ending, so stupid. Highly dont recommended
½ June 29, 2017
bo. ring. couldnt sit thru it. and i read the book.
June 28, 2017
When terrible scripts happen to good actors...
June 26, 2017
This movie was long and most of the time confusing hoping back and forth from the past to modern day and just when it finally gets interesting it ends abruptly with no closure ????????????????????
June 23, 2017
How stupid is this? Two teens are involved in an incident with heinous consequences in a situation where any stupid american knows THERE ARE SECURITY CAMERAS, and their four upper-crust parents go to a prime supper club to discuss it.

Firstly, why wouldn't the politician be spotted by numerous diners as well as servers? Why are the parents immune to simple knowledge of the world? And how do these brats -- buffered from consequences their entire lives -- think they're going to get away with this one?

It's shocking that nobody considered relocating the incident to a less SECURITY INTENSIVE environment.
May 29, 2017
Richard Gere and Steve Coogan are brothers (a sentence I thought I would never write), one is a gubernatorial candidate and the other a seemingly unhinged history teacher. Over a super-fancy dinner in an ultra-chic restaurant, they and their wives played by Laura Linney and Rebecca Hall are here to discuss the fallout after a heinous incident involving their children and the film teases out all their back-stories and the incident in question between the many courses that night. In 2014?s Time Out of Mind, Gere and writer-director Oren Moverman have tackled the question of homelessness and mental illness before. Here, they revisit them with additional rich white people entitlement and parental responsibilities and the result is a well-intentioned mess. The first hour of the film takes far too long setting up the background in fragmented flashbacks and it irritates more than intrigues. Personally, I have seen too much Alan Partridge to be entirely convinced of Coogan?s character?s trajectory from angry to broken man and his obsessive recital of historical texts relating to Gettysburg feels pretentious and alienating. While there are some unexpected reversal of characters as the film develops, there is hardly anyone here you really care for or care to rally behind. After numerous distractions and interruptions, the film finally delivers one great scene between the parents as the full extent of their moral dilemma is laid bare but there is no satisfying catharsis that comes with it. Instead, it is left hanging in the air awkwardly unresolved. While there is an argument for this sort of open ending as life is never as tidy, but here it feels unfinished and frustrating, when I suspect they are aiming for stylistically European. Imagine a souped (pun intended) up Carnage without the biting humour and clever dialogue, and you?ll get this forgettable head-scratcher that doesn?t work either as a morality tale or a satire
May 25, 2017
A movie that highlights issues of mental illness, ethics, and parenting. A must see for all teenagers and parents. Excellent performance by Steve Coogan who plays Paul Lohman. Gere holds his own, Linney is superb and Hall is good. The movie frustrated me, made me nervous and very unhappy. Definitely not a feel good movie but definitely worth seeing.
May 24, 2017
The screenplay is fraudulent and unbearable.