The Foreigner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Foreigner Reviews

½ July 15, 2018
A peculiar and interesting watch. One of Jackie Chan's most unusual roles, his and Pierce Brosnan's characters make some very odd choices. Nonetheless, Chan's performance is surprisingly dark, grounded and moving. Nice pacing. Music: smashing. Bronson in good form.
Not the greatest movie ever, but definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of Chan, old people fighting, 80s atmos synth and the Liam Neeson movies of the last 10 years.
July 13, 2018
Best Jackie Chan movie I've seen ever. His fighting skills are always on point, but his dramatic acting is stunning and you feel invested in the character and understands his pain. Amazing.
June 23, 2018
Not a typical Chan movie by any means. The most killing I have ever seen Chan do. Not one for the family. Well done though. Lots of deception.
½ June 21, 2018
Not too bad actually. It's pretty good. Had a good time watching it. Jackie Chan was good in this movie.
½ June 14, 2018
No aguanto el rictus del sr. Chan.
May 28, 2018
The script was mediocre, however the action was realistic, and Chan's take on this serious role revealed a more serious side to counter his action comedies. I thought this film was incredible, from the score to the acting. I'm shocked it didn't get better reviews. Don't listen to the crowd, you need to watch this film!
May 25, 2018
Brilliant film, enjoyed every second. Fantastic directing by Jackie Chan, excellent acting by Pierce Brosnan
May 22, 2018
Jackie Chan is an icon of martial arts and making great light-hearted comedy films based around his martial arts skills. But in the Foreigner, we see another side of the man- a thoughtful, broken man. Suffice to say this is Chan's first foray into drama and he is more than competent. Which is not to say there aren't any action sequences, but they are an afterthought. Chan plays a grieving father seeking revenge and the tone is somber so be prepared- this isn't usual Jackie Chan fare. But do go see it just to see a different side of the 63-year-old icon. (Go see it for Jackie Chan the actor)
½ May 21, 2018
Kertakäyttöviihdettä sarjassamme "isät kostoretkellä" joiden pääosassa on yleensä Lian Neeson. Mutta tässä onkin vakavoitunut vähäeleinen Jackie Chan. Tähtäimessä mainion Pierce Brosnanin esittämä ex-IRA terroristi. ** 1/2 /5
May 19, 2018
Spænede action film, Pierce og Jackie i top form.
May 16, 2018
Ottima l'interpretazione di Jackie Chan, che con un ruolo più intenso e cupo eleva la sua straordinaria storia cinematografica. La trama ha un inizio molto promettente che ben presto si stabilizza nella banalità, senza nuovi sviluppi che confermano le premesse iniziali. Le parti migliori sono quelle in cui l'attore protagonista manifesta le sue famosi doti arrugginite dal passare degli anni. Il film è anche pieno di politica e i soliti scontri governativi, in cui si parla tanto senza mai emozionare né coinvolgere. Il finale chiude un film discreto, che senza troppe pretese offre un ritorno alle origini per lo stimato attore cinese.
½ May 12, 2018
Jackie Chan gives a dramatic performance resembling the one in New Police Story (2004). Original plot explores the idea of fighting terrorism with more terrorism. Pierce Brosnan speaks with a peculiar Irish accent. The ending could have been darker.
½ May 6, 2018
Not a lot to say, Jackie Chan shows a much different side here from his past action comedies. The fight scenes were very well choreographed & the action was tight throughout. I liked this side of Jackie more than I thought I would. & the score by Cliff Martinez was spot on.

Side note, even though I've always known Pierce Brosnan is Irish, his natural accent sounds odd, as he has seldom used it in his career, he sounds more natural with a British accent. However, he was fine in his performance, but Jackie was the real star here. No thoughts of 007, that's for sure.... (even though it was directed by Martin Campbell who directed Pierce in Goldeneye) ????????????
½ May 4, 2018
Martial arts not too overdone. Politics interesting but muddled. Action mixed but not bad.
April 30, 2018
I really enjoyed this movie. Love Jackie Chan!
½ April 29, 2018
I liked it. Jackie Chan is great and the action is great without going into his over the top style. A really good action drama.
½ April 26, 2018
A very different side of Jackie Chan not seen on camera. The script is well done and the action choreography is just simply insane! Chan starts out as this sad, no energy, feel sorry for me, widowed Dad but after he loses his daughter to a IRA terrorist bombing that all changes pretty quickly. He waisted no time in trying to find out who is responsible and goes out on a wild mission of revenge. Brosnan's performance (as his character) is kind of shallow and weak in my opinion. I wish they could have given him more balls. Nevertheless, it's a great, super intense, and highly action packed Movie that's definitely worth the watch.
½ April 25, 2018
This is a movie about the IRA with Pierce Bronson more than anything. Which was unexpected, but doesn't take away from a fun thriller.
½ April 23, 2018
I didn't know that Jackie Chan is the main actor. The film has almost everything that I'd prefer to avoid.
April 12, 2018
I really liked the pace of this movie. Some great acting from Brosnan and Chan as they play older soldiers. The fight scenes were not drawn out too long, and the plot kept me very interested. A great movie.