The Grand Budapest Hotel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grand Budapest Hotel Reviews

½ December 4, 2017
Funny and incredibly stylish, The Grand Budapest Hotel is also held together by a terrific cast.
November 7, 2017
"The Grand Budapest Hotel" is Brilliant. Director Wes Anderson (Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom) once again shows us his keen artistic skill in The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Wes Anderson currently is one of Hollywood's most creative directors and shows us his true imagination in The Grand Budapest Hotel. He is best known for his visual and narrative style and digs even deeper in this film. This is probably the most oddball film he's put onto the big screen. This imaginative script is inspired from Viennese writer Stefan Zweig, which is co-written by Anderson and Hugo Guinness.

Take a journey with Gustave H. (Ralph Fiennes) and Zero Moustafa (Tony Revolori) through their grand adventure of a dissolved past, hotel wars, murder, theft and most importantly, friendship. Anderson first introduces his film with an older Zero (F. Murray Abraham), who tells his adventures as a lobby boy to a young writer (Jude Law). Law will later write the book, The Grand Budapest Hotel. Now, back to Gustave. Fiennes gives us one his best performances to date as the quirky yet witty hotel concierge, Monsieur Gustave H. His manners are not always a match with his morals. Gustave believes he's the one to help and even pleasure his guests of both sexes. In Gustave's own words, "I go to bed with all my friends."

Later, Gustave takes Zero under his wing and he becomes the new lobby boy. Newcomer Revolori is brilliant as the courageous and loyal lobby boy. Zero falls in love with Agatha (Saoirse Ronan) who works in Mendl's bakery. Here she makes her most famous dessert Courtesan au chocolat. This pastry becomes important later on in the film. The plot thickens when Madame Céline Villeneuve Desgoffe (Tina Swinton), who has a huge crush on Gustave, is found murdered at her home. Gustave and Zero go to her funeral to show respect but Gustave is also busy trying to make out what type of cream the morgue used on her. When Madame D gives most of her prized possessions, including Boy with Apple painting, to Gustave, her ruthless son, Dmitri (Adrien Brody), has a cow. Gustave and Zero steal the painting and are framed for the murder of Madame D. Now, they are on the run from the cops, led by Inspector Henckels (Edward Norton). Dmitri's henchman Jopling (Willem Dafoe) also goes after Gustave and Zero. Dafoe is killer-funny ... literally. He throws cats out the window for fun. The film takes a dramatic turn to a crime caper, including a hilarious prison escape.

Throughout the film a tumble of actors also pop out including a humorous Bill Murray, a confused Owen Wilson, a mustached happy Jason Schwartzman, a cat-less/fingerless Jeff Goldblum, and a tattooed Harvey Keitel. Anderson creates more than a movie; he creates his own past and brings it to life through the eyes of these characters. By doing this he also explores deep emotional ideas. He is more than a filmmaker. He is an artist and knows how to craft his movies. Anderson creates his own wonderland and throws us into the middle of it. Through all of Gustave and Zero's mischief and quirkiness we find a heart-warming story. In this film we see love, murder, heartbreak and, most importantly, friendship.

The most important message from this film is the friendship of Gustave and Zero banding together to prove their innocence and also have an adventure at the same time. Anderson shows us his keen artistic skill through The Grand Budapest Hotel and gives the dying past life. He does this through fast camera movements, a deeply enriched plot, elaborate/colorful costume designs and charming characters. Through these quirky characters we find a grand adventure waiting to unfold.
½ October 30, 2017
in the future, this will be looked back as a classic. It contains right amount of both comedic and dramatic moments, along with excellent Ralph Fiennes performance. Anderson had some quite neat ideas, carried out accordingly. It's screenplay, music and costume designe were also on really high level and I can freely say, that this movie has indeed earned all of its accolades
October 27, 2017
Truly hilarious and spurred on with unique cinematography and a brilliant lead performance. The art of cinema is here produced unforgettably.
October 25, 2017
The images, the title and the ideas are highly attractive.
October 24, 2017
Wes Anderson can do no wrong. Every one of his movies is like an expertly crafted cake. Sweet and beautiful.
October 24, 2017
Wes Anderson's movies are unlike any other. And this might be his best.
October 16, 2017
Wes Anderson ha echo un trabajo impecable con esta película que catalogaría como cine de arte, los escenarios, el vestuario y la dirección de fotografía son lo mejor de la película.
October 4, 2017
It's Wes Anderson. Need we say more? Still I enjoyed it well enough. For what it is.
September 23, 2017
Possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen. Everything about this movie is perfect.
September 21, 2017
A call back to the movies of old. Great casting, great sets, great tones.
September 15, 2017
Cuando salí del cine el día del estreno, en una sala media vacía, escuché un par de comentarios: "sabía que era mala". Muy equivocado, porque quienes sabíamos a lo que íbamos la encontramos otra gran puesta en pantalla de Wes Anderson. Puedo coincidir que no es el mejor de sus proyectos (me quedo siempre con Fantastic Mr. Fox), pero tiene eso notable de todas las películas de Anderson: tragicomedia, gran elenco, excelente montaje, risas a carcajadas, absurdo, gran banda sonora (Desplat), etc, etc, etc. Es un cambio en lo último de Anderson en el sentido que la encontré más para adultos. Muy recomendable.
September 13, 2017
this movie is purely esthetic. as a former inhabitant of görlitz, where parts of the film where shot, it's amazing to see some beauty places and streets of this small town in this big movie. watch it, if you want to see a creative work of camera und cut and a small, sweet and somehow crazy story with dialogues, that make you smile.
September 8, 2017
"There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity."

What more is there to say?
September 7, 2017
Romantic, but pragmatic. Picturesque, but violent. Unexpected, yet familiar, like a favorite uncle. The camera work, composition, color, the cast, their acting, the costumes, all delivered with incredible lightness and humility. Everything about this movie screams "Masterpiece!". The last ten minutes contain some of the most lyric moments of cinema I have ever seen. Not to be missed.
½ September 3, 2017
This quirky and somewhat unusual movie disappointed me. While the acting was generally good, I found that the black humour and ever-changing storyline was not always successful. AAN GGWC 1001. SR
September 2, 2017
It was a brilliantly tragic movie that I will never forget. Its music was gorgeous, the filmography was excellent, and the characters were all enigmatic.
September 2, 2017
Amazing use of colors, thoroughly entertaining in Wes Anderson's trademark way.
½ September 1, 2017
This movie was dope until the action started
September 1, 2017
The Grand Budapest Hotel takes a simple story and makes it a extraordinarily entertaining, meaningful one using charm, wit, visuals, and character.