The Grand Budapest Hotel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grand Budapest Hotel Reviews

May 13, 2017
it was ok overall, light on the comedy portion and very slow going for the first half of the movie.
May 7, 2017
Anderson puts his gloss on a fairly traditional screwball comedy, and the result is pretty wonderful. Although it's fair to say that his unique visual style has become increasingly baroque over the years, this film is probably the easiest film for those that are not fans of his style to enjoy. While it's quite obviously his film, it's the most straightforwardly funny and lighthearted film he's made to date. Although there's a huge cast, most of them are in glorified cameo roles. Ralph Fiennes really carries the film, and he does it magnificently. He hasn't been this good for many years.
May 7, 2017
The Grand Budapest Hotel uses beautiful visual environments to explore deeply emotional ideas.
April 27, 2017
The most perfect a movie can possibly be, in terms of both storytelling and film making technique. All performances are top notch, and the story is unique and hilarious, and also offers some moments of genuine heart.
April 17, 2017
Love this movie very much The intense color image, the inspiring story?and the penetrating power of film soundtrack,humorous feature gave the audience endless after thoughts
April 17, 2017
Absolutely wonderful performance by Ralph Fiennes.
April 11, 2017
Had good characters such as Zero who I liked in it. The humour in it was quite funny and the plot was just good.
½ April 8, 2017
A beautiful screenplay and a great way to tell a story.
April 4, 2017
For his latest feature, Wes Anderson pushes his quirky vision to what may be a new high for him. He combines the multitude of different filming techniques he's become so well-known for, both old and new (symmetrical cinematography, stop-motion/miniatures, etc.), into what is truly his most technically impressive film to date. The key to The Grand Budapest Hotel (no pun intended) that it gets right where his previous film struggled is making sure there's a story worth telling with this technical prowess as a backdrop. Pulling a complete one-eighty from the often cold tale of childhood love in Moonrise Kingdom, this time around Anderson has crafted a zany story-within-a-story murder mystery that is perhaps his funniest film to date. Anderson, of course, has always been a master of dry black humor, but much of the reason this film is so unflinchingly hilarious is the cast he's gathered to tell his story. The ensemble consists of too many names to list but all of whom are predictably great (most of whom are frequent Anderson collaborators), but the two standouts are brand new to being in front of an Anderson-operated camera: that is, Ralph Fiennes and newcomer Tony Revolori. Fiennes' dry wit and comedic timing is impeccable for an actor whose work has been primarily rooted in serious drama, and Revolori perfectly captures the awkwardness that feels like a cinematic extension of Anderson himself. It's easy to go on and on about how comedically perfect of a film this is, and ignoring the fact that Anderson never sacrifices emotion for a laugh. At the undercurrent of all the wackiness is a genuine feeling of romanticism and loss: the fact that Anderson can balance such opposing themes really is a testament to his capabilities as a storyteller, and in that regard, it's certainly not a stretch to call this his magnum opus.
March 31, 2017
The frantic pace of Wes Anderson's films tends to not sit so well with me - but the artistic direction and witty dialogue of The Grand Budapest Hotel won me over. There is a great attention to detail that brings this world to life and some great bits of dark comedy.
½ March 30, 2017
This movie is like that friend that we all have who answers a really simple question by telling you a ridiculous backstory that takes about an hour and a half to get through. Luckily the ridiculous backstory that was told in The Grand Budapest Hotel was entertaining as hell! I have never seen a movie like this in my life. This film was a thriller, comedy, drama, mystery, and romance all packed into 100 minutes. I loved nearly every second of this film, and I would highly recommend it!
½ March 25, 2017
Couldn't make it through to the end. I just don't like movies by Wes Anderson. Nothing makes sense to me. Everyone is like a cartoon and not a real person.
½ March 24, 2017
Wes Anderson hits it out of the park with his strong, gutsy adherance to a stylish artistic vision. The cinematography is extraordinary, using space and movement very well; the sets clean and appropriately atmospheric; the music tying the movie down to its label of Comedy. With a charming script and a lovely cast, 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' may not be a belly-roarer, but it provides smiles and an odd feeling of warm butterflies.
March 20, 2017
"There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity."

What more is there to say?
½ March 18, 2017
Wes Anderson's balanced, geometric, weird (and pink) frames. Who says vision can't be whimsical!
March 15, 2017
Few things are more charismatic than this film, the performances were unforgettable as the joy watching it.
½ March 9, 2017
'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is heavily packed with a talented cast and stylish visuals but doesn't suffocate under its own weight thanks to a narrative that's deeply emotional.

'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is wildly fun and comical despite it being a murder mystery film. The film takes you on a chase involving a priceless Renaissance painting and a battle for an enormous family fortune, recounting the adventures of Gustave H and Zero Moustafa. Ironically, much of the film's action and plot are staged outside the hotel, which Anderson could've explored more seeing as it was revered to be 'grand' throughout the film after all. A worthy note would be the world Wes Anderson has created once again, The Grand Budapest Hotel and the fictional providence of Zubrowka is warm and vibrant, set against the backdrop of a changing continent soon to enter a war.

The pairing of Fiennes and Revolori as the lead characters are surprising and delightful despite being new faces to Anderson's films. While much of the supporting characters are Anderson staples such as Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe Edward Norton, and Bill Murray. The pair truly capture the bond of Gustave H and Zero, the characters' relationship and its development is heart-warming and bittersweet while the dramatization capture the whimsical signature of Anderson. Anderson is quite skilled in crafting adolescent and juvenile characters that we've seen in 'Rushmore,' 'The Royal Tenenbaums,' and 'Moonrise Kingdom,' but his recent take on grown-up characters is still improving.

'The Grand Budapest Hotel' features Wes Anderson essentials-a beautiful and vibrant production design, quirky and eccentric characters, romantic subplot, a warm filter, and a deceptive visual style- that leaves almost nothing to complain about and much to adore.
March 7, 2017
One of the most enchanting and atmospheric movies I've seen in a long while. Wes Andersons motifs and stylistic marks gel perfectly with the story. Good acting all round but especially from Ralph Fiennes and Tony Revolori. My favourite Wes Anderson film so far.
½ March 7, 2017
In true Wes Anderson fashion, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a odd film with plenty of unexpected twists and turns that leave you laughing at the pure delight and absurdity of it all. I wasn't sure what to expect going into this film, but the visuals of this film give almost an other-wordly feel to the atmosphere, and the dialogue is quick-witted and incredibly entertaining. I could see myself returning to this film again a couple times, but it's not on my Top 100 List or anything.

The Bottom Line:
Entertaining, eccentric and unique, this film will give you exactly what you expect in a Wes Anderson film. If you're in the mood for some guffaws and a film that is artistic in it's atmospheric styles, that is what it provides in it's own modest, humble, insignificant...oh, fuck it.

Big-Screen, Buy-It, Rent-It, Pass?
Rent-It.