The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

May 16, 2017
Outstanding uplifting and moving. Well worth the watch.
April 17, 2017
Gripping and sad with some great sassy characters, this movie shows how a cause can be fought for even if there are only a few willing to stand with you.
½ April 17, 2017
This movie called The help was directed by Tate Taylor and came out in 2011 in the United States of America. The lead actresses are Emma Stone as Eugenia Skeeter, Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark, Olivia Spencer as Minny Jackson and Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly Holbrook.
"The Help" tells the story of two black maids called Aibileen and Minny, living in Jackson in the Mississippi in the sixties. They were working for white people like all the black maids in town. One day, a white woman who dedicated herself to writing and whose name was Eugenia Phelan, asked Aibileen to testify about her life as a maid to write a book. They both knew it was very dangerous because Aibileen could get killed and Eugenia could go to jail for making acquaintance. Miss Phelan also got a dozen of other black maids telling their stories to fulfill her project. They didn't expect the book to be a best-seller but indeed it was.

The performances of the actors were just perfect. They had to act like the people in the sixties. They represented the black maids as very scared people but also intelligent and caring, loving and funny with the children of whom they were taking care. Miss Holbrook was nasty, racist without knowing she was, ignoring... while Miss Phelan was very helpful with the maids, clever, hard-working... It almost created a back in time.
I think that the characters were believable: they managed to convey different emotions and atmospheres and it gave me the impression that I was in the movie just watching what was going on. The only things that were a little bit disturbing were the differences between the book and the movie. It doesn't matter if some scenes weren't represented in the movies because the film would have been too long but I think that the emotions of the maids were not enough perfected. For example, in the book, we know that it was very hard for the maids and especially Aibileen to talk about their lives in the book but in the movie she accepted Eugenia's request almost immediately.

There is a great work on the cinematography of "The Help". There were all the types of camera angles (high angle shots, low angle shots,...), some tracking shots and static shots. The light is natural because it was shot outside and also artificial because of the lamps adding clarity on the set. The scenes are usually long so we get more information and there are many camera shots.
The movie starts with a music which dates back to the sixties to convey a smooth atmosphere. All along the film, the soundtrack is slow and sad to underline the poor conditions of the Black population at that time. When it comes to the improvement of the black conditions, the director plays a fast-paced music. The movie finishes with a triumphant song called "the living proof" sung by Mary J. Blige. It illustrates the victory of the fight led by the blacks even if it suggested. The music accompanies the plot of the movie.
The costumes are very important in the film because they are illustrative of the different social classes of the American society in the sixties.

This masterpiece was released to denounce the racialism of most Americans during that period. To do so, they traced back the lives of black maids with everyday details to make the viewers experience the poor conditions of such a people. It is very convincing because the director makes the public share their ill-treatment.
The thematic is relatively commonplace but the emotional aspect makes it original.
This is my personal analysis but it is reflected in the different feelings experienced by the characters: we are switching from sadness to happiness going through melancholy, loneliness and hatred towards the white population.
The subject is highly topical and can provide an efficient lesson to all the current xenophobia movements in the world.
April 7, 2017
Hugely important movie, and sooo well done! Both entertaining, and yet brings you into what life was like in the South before the age of civil rights. It's rare to find a movie that will both entertain and enlighten you, and this movie is one of them.
April 2, 2017
Excellent film that shows the racism of the United States. Except that the USA is still as racist and that the film happens in the 60's.
½ March 15, 2017
Man alive, people suck!
March 14, 2017
Very melodramatic movie about racism in the South in the 60's. Enjoyed it a lot. The acting is excellent. All around. The editing brilliant.
March 7, 2017
I suppose this is the best movie I've ever seen. Captivating, inspiring, funny! I cried and laughed at the same time.
March 3, 2017
I'm a guy but even I have a soft spot for this movie it's told well and that pie seen
February 24, 2017
Idk, I feel a little weird about the whole white savior thing.
February 24, 2017
Sometimes I get confused when people ask me about my favorite movie but everytime I rewatch this movie, I have no doubts at all.
½ February 19, 2017
Well made with interesting and entertaining characters along with a good cast and performances. Fairly conventional but amusing, heartwarming and worth the watch.
February 11, 2017
One of the greatest historical dramas I have ever seen. Great approach to the African oppression in the Southern States of America on the build up to the end of segregation with countless amounts of perfectly placed humour, completed by a tear jerking ending. Enjoyable from start to finish!
February 6, 2017
So funny, beautiful and deep!
January 27, 2017
The intention of the film is well achieved, we see good interpretations and although it may suddenly seem simple, the plot is well elaborated and achieves its goal: to show the world a little more about what life was like in the United States during the 60's, the whole racial discrimination this nation had and whose essential elements come together to end in a good melodrama that expresses, if in doubt, one of the biggest problems that even today still concern us. Mixed feelings, pain and a well-made composition of the characters and their role in this film are of the most important characteristics. The Help may have been more complex, closer and more realistic, but it's still a very good movie.
January 18, 2017
Just not as good as the book.
January 15, 2017
This movie is really great! I don't know how you could not like it, it is such a touching story brought to life by wonderful actresses. Big thumbs up, everyone should have to see this movie.
January 14, 2017
so beautiful, touchy and emotional! One of the greatest films I've ever watched! It's a must see!!! Now I have to read the book for sure!
January 14, 2017
It's heartwarming and charming to a fault thanks specifically to its talented leads in Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone
January 7, 2017
Yes, this movie does have some pretty blatant emotional pandering, but if you were crying at at least one scene, you have no soul. Great acting, good storytelling.