The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

January 18, 2017
Just not as good as the book.
January 15, 2017
This movie is really great! I don't know how you could not like it, it is such a touching story brought to life by wonderful actresses. Big thumbs up, everyone should have to see this movie.
January 14, 2017
so beautiful, touchy and emotional! One of the greatest films I've ever watched! It's a must see!!! Now I have to read the book for sure!
January 14, 2017
It's heartwarming and charming to a fault thanks specifically to its talented leads in Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone
January 7, 2017
Yes, this movie does have some pretty blatant emotional pandering, but if you were crying at at least one scene, you have no soul. Great acting, good storytelling.
January 6, 2017
I love this movie so freakin much.
December 26, 2016
Mixed with humor, a Blaise background of the 1950s, a cast of unforgettable characters, and a heart tugging story, the Help is a solid drama that is entertaining all throughout.
December 14, 2016
This is a movie that touched my heart an will be passed on to my daughter an grandaughter.
December 9, 2016
Provocative film which primes all the right emotional chambers in the first half.
December 8, 2016
Classic. All involved are in top form. On Blu-ray.
December 2, 2016
Although Viola Davis offers a fantastic performance here, this disgusting melodrama is much more concerned about making you cry than saying anything meaningful, while most of the characters are one-dimensional and several unnecessary details are constantly added to the story with the sole purpose of cheap sentimentality.
November 1, 2016
Simply Breathtaking..
October 30, 2016
This is an exceptional movie. The set designers, costume designers, actors, and writers provided us a view into 1960s Jackson, MS. What a great look into race and what all makes us the same. I loved this movie.
October 20, 2016
The Help is a great movie that is about white people that have black maids. A lot of the white people are very mean to the maids. The maids are very hard working and always get along with the whites kids. Some of the whites do not like that and will fire their maid. In the end some of the whites become friends with the maids and the maids have made a change in their lives.

The Help is a drama and it has a bunch of good humor moments. They are in Jackson, Mississippi and it is based in August 1962. The intended audience is for adults and teens. It is a good lesson on what happened back in those days; lessons learned are do not treat someone the way you don't want to be treated because karma will come around. Some of the actresses are Viola Davis (maid) , Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer (maid). The conflict was when the maids had enough of the white people treating them badly and they had enough courage to stand up for themselves , even if that meant for them getting fired they were willing to do it. I would rate this movie a 4 out of 5 stars because it has great characters it has a great story behind it and it could teach kids about how people treated other people back in the days.
½ October 17, 2016
Inspiring movie based on true story
September 18, 2016
I hate to be the critics who didn't call out this classic at first viewing. Beautifully written, shot and executed-- not to mention a legendary turn from Octavia Spencer.
August 27, 2016
second time I've seen this movie. The first time I thought it was amazing, the second time confirmed it.
August 16, 2016
Superficialmente, HISTÓRIAS CRUZADAS até parece ser uma obra eficiente como ferramenta anti-preconceito. Aos cérebros mais críticos, entretanto, o filme deve soar maniqueísta e contraditório, sendo parte do elenco e a direção de arte as suas únicas qualidades.
August 14, 2016
It tells a great story.
July 24, 2016
I have read several reviews about this film. The two that stood out to me are by Cath Clarke (a Reviewer) and Michael Atkinson (a Theorist)
Clarke's review was very positive. In my opinion, because the was everything that she mentioned, sentimental, hilarious, heart-felt and it grosses history for sure! This critic's observation enhanced my own analysis of the film because I totally agree. Watching this film made me laugh,cry,angry,disappointed but most importantly it made me think about my past. Made me think about if this was me and how I would have responded to those issues back then.
Atkinson's review was negative. In my opinion, it probably is because he did not like that it was sentimental issues that was made fun of. He feel that white people were put in the middle of racial issues and the destruction of black people and their lives (in that time period) His observation enlightened my analysis of the film because I did not see things the way he did. His observation definitely made me view things from his perspective with an open mind. Although I read his review, I do not agree with him. I think that the world needs to see these issues head on. Yes, these type of films aren't the easiest to talk about because they are a replica of history. Our history. Some people don't like to rehash the issues of our past. The issues and problems were and still are true. When we know more, we do more. When we know more, we do better. We have to discuss these issues in order to grow from them. Why not do it in a funny way.