The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

October 20, 2016
The Help is a great movie that is about white people that have black maids. A lot of the white people are very mean to the maids. The maids are very hard working and always get along with the whites kids. Some of the whites do not like that and will fire their maid. In the end some of the whites become friends with the maids and the maids have made a change in their lives.

The Help is a drama and it has a bunch of good humor moments. They are in Jackson, Mississippi and it is based in August 1962. The intended audience is for adults and teens. It is a good lesson on what happened back in those days; lessons learned are do not treat someone the way you don't want to be treated because karma will come around. Some of the actresses are Viola Davis (maid) , Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer (maid). The conflict was when the maids had enough of the white people treating them badly and they had enough courage to stand up for themselves , even if that meant for them getting fired they were willing to do it. I would rate this movie a 4 out of 5 stars because it has great characters it has a great story behind it and it could teach kids about how people treated other people back in the days.
½ October 17, 2016
Inspiring movie based on true story
September 18, 2016
I hate to be the critics who didn't call out this classic at first viewing. Beautifully written, shot and executed-- not to mention a legendary turn from Octavia Spencer.
August 27, 2016
second time I've seen this movie. The first time I thought it was amazing, the second time confirmed it.
August 16, 2016
Superficialmente, HISTÓRIAS CRUZADAS até parece ser uma obra eficiente como ferramenta anti-preconceito. Aos cérebros mais críticos, entretanto, o filme deve soar maniqueísta e contraditório, sendo parte do elenco e a direção de arte as suas únicas qualidades.
August 14, 2016
It tells a great story.
July 24, 2016
I have read several reviews about this film. The two that stood out to me are by Cath Clarke (a Reviewer) and Michael Atkinson (a Theorist)
Clarke's review was very positive. In my opinion, because the was everything that she mentioned, sentimental, hilarious, heart-felt and it grosses history for sure! This critic's observation enhanced my own analysis of the film because I totally agree. Watching this film made me laugh,cry,angry,disappointed but most importantly it made me think about my past. Made me think about if this was me and how I would have responded to those issues back then.
Atkinson's review was negative. In my opinion, it probably is because he did not like that it was sentimental issues that was made fun of. He feel that white people were put in the middle of racial issues and the destruction of black people and their lives (in that time period) His observation enlightened my analysis of the film because I did not see things the way he did. His observation definitely made me view things from his perspective with an open mind. Although I read his review, I do not agree with him. I think that the world needs to see these issues head on. Yes, these type of films aren't the easiest to talk about because they are a replica of history. Our history. Some people don't like to rehash the issues of our past. The issues and problems were and still are true. When we know more, we do more. When we know more, we do better. We have to discuss these issues in order to grow from them. Why not do it in a funny way.
July 14, 2016
Eye-opener. Phenomenal. Inspiring.
July 7, 2016
This is a spectacular film. It manages to be heartwarming, heartbreaking, and humorous all at once. The acting is fantastic and every performance is authentic and heartfelt. It is definitely of the most emotionally satisfying and humane stories ever made. I do not mind admitting that the movie made me tear up on multiple occasions. See this film, it will affect you in ways that only happen once in a long while. It's a unique civil rights tale that kept my interest and won me over from start to finish. One of the more underrated movies I've seen and among my favorite movies of all time.
June 9, 2016
The help is a fantastic film. I saw five times but I also found the film. The best scene is that Aibileen talk to child " you is kind you is smart you is important"
June 7, 2016
Remarkably Poignant and Powerful!

Originally written on Aug. 24, 2011--
Southern society girl Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan (Emma Stone) returns from college during the Civil Rights era in 1963 Jackson, Mississippi, with dreams of being a writer. She turns her small town on its ear by choosing to interview the black women---such as Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) and Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer)---who have spent their lives taking care of prominent white families as their maids.

This remarkably poignant and powerful film exposes the ugly stain of racism that each white and black person was faced with on a daily basis during the early 1960's in the Deep South. By writing her infamous book, Skeeter makes enemies of the white women whose appalling treatment of their black maids she chronicles. I agree with what Tom Long from The Detroit News remarked about the film: "Appealing, entertaining, touching, and perhaps even a bit healing, The Help is an old-fashioned grand yarn of a film, the sort we rarely get these days."
June 2, 2016
the best drama I watched so far, fine performances, good scenery of the 60s and a balance between sad and funny scenes, recommend even for people who do not like drama because and very good.
May 27, 2016
What a beautiful movie!!!!
May 15, 2016
A humorous, interesting, enjoyable movie with a great cast. Minnie will make you fall in love with it, and I would see it again a number of times.
April 22, 2016
This movie should be seen by high school kids- they need to understand the message it delivers!
April 15, 2016
The Help has incredibly rich characters, an elegant design, an intriguing premise and a lot of passion, but it's guilty of sugar coating the dynamic issues of race and gender issues that it examines. It looks spectacular. The beautiful Southern estates, exquisite dresses and dolled up women have a striking contrast to the dirty, crooked houses and plain uniforms of their maids. Visually, the movie already suggests that there's a disparity between the two. It hammers the point home by constantly insulting the maids, building them separate bathrooms, forcing them to do their bidding. It's a film with a lot of energy and emotion, it's heart-breaking and touching, inspiring and insulting. It had some tragic moments of cruelty, like when Constantine and Abilene get fired, and had some stirring themes of change and acceptance. It was powerful to watch them rise up and take a stand and it was very rewarding to see the hilarious events fallout of their efforts. One of the issues with the film, though, was that it didn't hurt enough. It was offensive and inconsiderate at many points, but racism in the South cut so much deeper than this movie displays. It tends to treat some of the issues in the film like girly gossip rather than the ugliness that actually took place. It handles the issues delicately, which is good and bad.

One thing I didn't particularly like about the film was the inconsistency of the acting. Viola Davis's performance is undeniably incredible. She's a caring women that's been broken by the loss of her son and constant harassment by white people, but she has brief moments where she has a beautiful wide grin and giggles at something or has an intimate moment with the daughter she's hired to take care of. She shows a woman in pain that still has life in her and I really liked that she was willing to sacrifice herself to try to help herself and her people. Emma Stone is also great, but I don't know how if any Southern girl would've been as progressive as her. Her mother has a very rewarding turn at the end and a lot of the other maids give strong performances. The antagonists in the film have no range, though. They are thin, undeveloped characters. The main "villain" wasn't like a nice girl who had a racist, unaccepting side. She was a total bitch who demeaned everyone and acted very superficial. She had no depth, it felt like something out of Mean Girls or another high school melodrama. The immaturity of a lot of the women was irritating. The other superficial wives were annoying and unrealistic too, but they're designed to be petty.

It's also interesting how focused the film is on underrepresented groups. Most films focus on males and this film is almost entirely focused on women. Not many films have such dynamic, interesting female performances and even fewer focus on the struggles of African Americans, so I think if nothing else, that should be appreciated. Few films have the courage to do that.
April 9, 2016
Wonderfully acted story of wrongs being righted through the power of the written and spoken word. The 60's setting is almost perfect, only the leads very modern hair style looks out of place.
April 8, 2016
Such an amazing book and movie!
½ March 29, 2016
A movie about a tough subject - the racial discrimination which ran rampant in the south in the1960s. Amazingly powerful performances by Emma Stone, Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer plus an endearing performance by Jessica Chastain make this a movie not to miss. These characters come to life on the screen and the story doesn't bash you over the head with the topic but neither does it shy away from the cruelty of the era. Aside from being overlong, there really isn't much to gripe about.
March 28, 2016
a nicely done movie showing a different side of the 1960s. everyone does a great job acting, Howard especially, I just hated her character but it was for good reasons. Davis was also a stand out performance in the all star cast. the only issue was, I felt it was a bit on the lengthy side. sure everything shown was important but when the last act hit I was almost ready for it to be done. aside from that, it was a good movie.