The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

April 16, 2018
The Help is beautifully telled with eye-friendly color, basic sense of humor and an award worthy screenplay. This movie dares to tells the bitter truth about the extreme racism back in the day. Viola davis was able to express the story freely, she was natural and will be the best Aibileen Clark you can ever get. This movie will have you rolling on the floor, crying hard and definitely made your heart goes shaking. This movie is worth to watch. Not dissapointing at all.
½ April 10, 2018
engaging and surprisingly imaginative tale. it stirs only the most primitive of emotions, such as wrongly perceiving justice being driven by good intentions alone. but there are enough subject matters outside the hackneyed black rights (feminism, maternal relationships), plus unassuming performances by stone and davis, to mount this beyond oscar bait.
April 9, 2018
Loved it! Feel good movie
March 24, 2018
It's crazy how everybody who's writing a review on here is not black and would rate it a 3.5 and not give it five stars. From my point of view as a double minority this was a great ass movie. I was able to visualize the things that my grandmother who was a maid, went through. From the abusive husband, the long walks to and from work, the civil rights era, to raising multiple children which I'm not hers and then coming home to raise her children. I don't understand how white movie critics are writing this movie but I'm sure they would rate some white universal pI tire a five or 4.5 minimum of 4 because they cannot relate to this. This just goes to show their racism still exist and that black people/African-Americans/black Americans still have to struggle to get recognition in a white man's world. It's a very Novak the history repeats itself in many people on here can't see clearly. Overall I give it 5 stars no less than 4.5 stars one of the best movies Made.
March 11, 2018
A well crafted hearth worming movie. Absolutely love it
February 5, 2018
Love this movie! The cast is in simply amazing! Jessica Chastain,A Allison Janney, Viola Davis and Bryce Dallas Howard being stand outs.
½ January 30, 2018
There are good performances and settings in this period drama containing some memorable scenes. However, sometimes the movie doesn't gel and I found Stone's character to be too modern. AAN GGN AFI
½ January 11, 2018
Not bad. Not great. A watch it once and never again story that you'll be able to sit through.
January 7, 2018
I really enjoyed this one. Highly rewatchable. Simple message, well acted, lovable characters and interactions. Now, where people take this is whether it was sentimental in a good way or melodramatic. I will say it's melodramatic in the best way possible if it makes any sense. I get feels because I care for the characters and don't feel forced at all. It's entertaining for sure, might I add.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Cielos, después de ver The Help terminarás amando a Emma Stone. Muy buena película con personajes bien trabajados y una excelente historia.
December 4, 2017
One of my fav's -- love this movie so much!
½ September 18, 2017
The Help, based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett, is based in 1960s Mississippi where 3 women come together to write about the injustices 'the help' are suffering, break societal rules and hopefully change them for the better. Emma Stone as Skeeter and Octavia Spencer as Minny are both excellent but Viola Davis as Ailbileen puts in the performance of a lifetime and is the true heart and soul of the film. Jessica Chastain is also very bubbly and entertaining as Celia Foote and Bryce Dallas Howard puts in an fantastically evil performance as Hilly, a woman who wants to keep the help in their place and goes so far as making them use separate bathrooms! This film does an excellent job at highlighting the inequality and prejudice black people faced during this period, not referring to huge incidents and the violence against them but in the smaller more insidious racism and personal stories of the maids that are dealt with in a very emotional and moving way. The only down side is the focus on Skeeter, as the person who initially thinks of writing a book from the point of view of the help she is essential to the plot but her own storyline is nowhere near as interesting or as poignant as the others and slows down the pace of the film in places. This is definitely a film worth watching, it's a beautifully told story and the performances may just move you to tears.
September 3, 2017
And then I thought I knew what racism was about. This is a must-see and I am for the rest of my life a fan of anything Octavia Spencer will play in.
September 1, 2017
Great film. Showing a great importance in american history. Fantastic characters. Moving but also with some real funny bits in places.
½ August 28, 2017
Really good movie and a must see for it shows the time period and mentality rather well.
August 9, 2017
Though the film has some good moments and fantastic performances by Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis, the film suffers in narrative and ends up being cliche-ridden of stuff we already have seen to death
July 29, 2017
I can watch this movie over and over again.
July 19, 2017
Very good. Hilarious, heart wrenching, and FULL with examples of integrity.
July 11, 2017
A premissa é poderosa e intrigante, mas o filme fita somente nas relações entre as empregadas domésticas e seus encargos submersos em humilhações padrões americanas, e no final parece que acabamos de ver um documentário, já que não há nenhuma trama por trás do tema racismo.
½ July 7, 2017
Watched it on tv and I thought it was very well acted and good story line. The poop pie.. HAHAHHA.