The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

July 19, 2017
Very good. Hilarious, heart wrenching, and FULL with examples of integrity.
July 11, 2017
A premissa é poderosa e intrigante, mas o filme fita somente nas relações entre as empregadas domésticas e seus encargos submersos em humilhações padrões americanas, e no final parece que acabamos de ver um documentário, já que não há nenhuma trama por trás do tema racismo.
½ July 7, 2017
Watched it on tv and I thought it was very well acted and good story line. The poop pie.. HAHAHHA.
July 2, 2017
The movie that educated me about being a woman.
June 24, 2017
This film is insufferably self-righteous and phony to the core. Having a good "message" is no excuse for this kind of superficial and cartoonish depiction of race relations in a previous period. I couldn't bear to watch this after the first 20 minutes made me want to gag with the straining situations and acting by all the white folks, especially Emma Stone, while the black women as maids were subjected to the humiliation of social mistreatment as well as being stereotypes yet managed to rise above that somewhat compared to the odious racists they work for. The white folks are two-dimensional jerks with the exception of one named Skeeter (really!?) who wants to call attention to the maids' plight but manages only to be obnoxiously earnest and awkward--all of this so contrived and manipulative that it makes a mockery of civil rights activism. I feel sorry for the talented black actresses in this affair, who struggle to maintain dignity and credibility in this film that feels more like a bad stage play than a realistic movie. The sanctimony of this whole enterprise spoils a sincere concern about how badly blacks were treated--and in some cases still are--with such nauseating phoniness in the depiction of racist behavior.
June 17, 2017
A great drama with AMAZING performances ! I just loved this movie. So inspiring !
June 14, 2017
A wonderful cast and a powerful movie. It's hard to imagine how badly maids were treated, even if their employer had to lie and manipulate situations.
June 14, 2017
This movie is smart, this movie is kind, this movie is important. And beautiful.
June 11, 2017
Despite glossing over the era's racial tension. The great performances from Viola Davis,Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone help the film rise above the melodrama.
June 8, 2017
Wow... What a great film. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer should certainly win Oscars for their performances. The Help gave me a true understanding of African-American maids and their lives. It really gave me a good perspective on segregation and racism. Overall, a truly spectacular film.
½ June 3, 2017
When we need others to see a past that is slowly being forgotten, when we were the struggles those who are different from us had to go through. When we see those whom are different then us don't see difference in others, when we see we are all human. When others wish to see themselves in a light to only care to see themselves not others. When we don't see an age of pure wild and recklessness to be young, rich, dwell in music and permiscuous lifestyle of infidelity and drugs to live a nuclear lifestyle or live free. When we don't see the turmoils of maintaining a relationship, family, friends, lifestyle we lash out. When we see life in segregation is accepted. When others see something's clearly are wrong when we see the worst behind us when we report the major events in news. When we don't see a pair of fresh clear eyes to see the world through a different perspective. When what we see and feel we don't mind when we are old and seen it all. When something's we see but others don't see we cover up when some scars are meant to be hidden when beauty is only accepted on the outside. When we see life on the other side we see all what is different and strange to talk about. When we see gossip and news is important to others when we need to be on top of things larger or smaller then us. When what we see we distract ourselves with the dramas that are less important and unreal. When we see even people whom are like us we segregate from when they are different and not like us. When what we see we don't know when some gossip and news are fake when we don't see eye to eye on what others see. When we don't see why others are accepted and not accepted when we all have different perspectives regardless of our skin. When what we see we dehumanize when we see difference as beastly and unlike us humans. When we see something's we see are not true to follow others from seeing. When we can't see something's to ask others to see for us when we are disconnects us is going back to our own kind when we separate. When we make others believe we are something's when we are dishonest for their own good when social pressures of society acceptance is everything. When we see our societal ways don't accept us like we used to when we are getting old and sick to live like the next generation but we see others could. When we wished to see others carry on the same traditions we see that they don't see eye to eye with us when what we see is not true to our vary eyes. When we do see we must live by some societal standards when we have a reputation to uphold and can't be seen acting all wild and uncivil. When some indifference are closer at heart when we see that indifference taught us to see life that made us a good person we know we see now to know we see what's right. When we see not many people see, what they do as a service but as a livelihood when we see a home full of people we take care of like a family.
May 16, 2017
Outstanding uplifting and moving. Well worth the watch.
April 17, 2017
Gripping and sad with some great sassy characters, this movie shows how a cause can be fought for even if there are only a few willing to stand with you.
½ April 17, 2017
This movie called « The help » was directed by Tate Taylor and came out in 2011 in the United States of America. The lead actresses are Emma Stone as Eugenia Skeeter, Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark, Olivia Spencer as Minny Jackson and Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly Holbrook.
"The Help" tells the story of two black maids called Aibileen and Minny, living in Jackson in the Mississippi in the sixties. They were working for white people like all the black maids in town. One day, a white woman who dedicated herself to writing and whose name was Eugenia Phelan, asked Aibileen to testify about her life as a maid to write a book. They both knew it was very dangerous because Aibileen could get killed and Eugenia could go to jail for making acquaintance. Miss Phelan also got a dozen of other black maids telling their stories to fulfill her project. They didn't expect the book to be a best-seller but indeed it was.

The performances of the actors were just perfect. They had to act like the people in the sixties. They represented the black maids as very scared people but also intelligent and caring, loving and funny with the children of whom they were taking care. Miss Holbrook was nasty, racist without knowing she was, ignoring... while Miss Phelan was very helpful with the maids, clever, hard-working... It almost created a back in time.
I think that the characters were believable: they managed to convey different emotions and atmospheres and it gave me the impression that I was in the movie just watching what was going on. The only things that were a little bit disturbing were the differences between the book and the movie. It doesn't matter if some scenes weren't represented in the movies because the film would have been too long but I think that the emotions of the maids were not enough perfected. For example, in the book, we know that it was very hard for the maids and especially Aibileen to talk about their lives in the book but in the movie she accepted Eugenia's request almost immediately.

There is a great work on the cinematography of "The Help". There were all the types of camera angles (high angle shots, low angle shots,...), some tracking shots and static shots. The light is natural because it was shot outside and also artificial because of the lamps adding clarity on the set. The scenes are usually long so we get more information and there are many camera shots.
The movie starts with a music which dates back to the sixties to convey a smooth atmosphere. All along the film, the soundtrack is slow and sad to underline the poor conditions of the Black population at that time. When it comes to the improvement of the black conditions, the director plays a fast-paced music. The movie finishes with a triumphant song called "the living proof" sung by Mary J. Blige. It illustrates the victory of the fight led by the blacks even if it suggested. The music accompanies the plot of the movie.
The costumes are very important in the film because they are illustrative of the different social classes of the American society in the sixties.

This masterpiece was released to denounce the racialism of most Americans during that period. To do so, they traced back the lives of black maids with everyday details to make the viewers experience the poor conditions of such a people. It is very convincing because the director makes the public share their ill-treatment.
The thematic is relatively commonplace but the emotional aspect makes it original.
This is my personal analysis but it is reflected in the different feelings experienced by the characters: we are switching from sadness to happiness going through melancholy, loneliness and hatred towards the white population.
The subject is highly topical and can provide an efficient lesson to all the current xenophobia movements in the world.
April 7, 2017
Hugely important movie, and sooo well done! Both entertaining, and yet brings you into what life was like in the South before the age of civil rights. It's rare to find a movie that will both entertain and enlighten you, and this movie is one of them.
April 2, 2017
Excellent film that shows the racism of the United States. Except that the USA is still as racist and that the film happens in the 60's.
½ March 15, 2017
Man alive, people suck!
March 14, 2017
Very melodramatic movie about racism in the South in the 60's. Enjoyed it a lot. The acting is excellent. All around. The editing brilliant.
March 7, 2017
I suppose this is the best movie I've ever seen. Captivating, inspiring, funny! I cried and laughed at the same time.
March 3, 2017
I'm a guy but even I have a soft spot for this movie it's told well and that pie seen