The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

February 5, 2018
Love this movie! The cast is in simply amazing! Jessica Chastain,A Allison Janney, Viola Davis and Bryce Dallas Howard being stand outs.
½ January 30, 2018
There are good performances and settings in this period drama containing some memorable scenes. However, sometimes the movie doesn't gel and I found Stone's character to be too modern. AAN GGN AFI
½ January 11, 2018
Not bad. Not great. A watch it once and never again story that you'll be able to sit through.
January 7, 2018
I really enjoyed this one. Highly rewatchable. Simple message, well acted, lovable characters and interactions. Now, where people take this is whether it was sentimental in a good way or melodramatic. I will say it's melodramatic in the best way possible if it makes any sense. I get feels because I care for the characters and don't feel forced at all. It's entertaining for sure, might I add.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Cielos, después de ver The Help terminarás amando a Emma Stone. Muy buena película con personajes bien trabajados y una excelente historia.
December 4, 2017
One of my fav's -- love this movie so much!
½ September 18, 2017
The Help, based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett, is based in 1960s Mississippi where 3 women come together to write about the injustices 'the help' are suffering, break societal rules and hopefully change them for the better. Emma Stone as Skeeter and Octavia Spencer as Minny are both excellent but Viola Davis as Ailbileen puts in the performance of a lifetime and is the true heart and soul of the film. Jessica Chastain is also very bubbly and entertaining as Celia Foote and Bryce Dallas Howard puts in an fantastically evil performance as Hilly, a woman who wants to keep the help in their place and goes so far as making them use separate bathrooms! This film does an excellent job at highlighting the inequality and prejudice black people faced during this period, not referring to huge incidents and the violence against them but in the smaller more insidious racism and personal stories of the maids that are dealt with in a very emotional and moving way. The only down side is the focus on Skeeter, as the person who initially thinks of writing a book from the point of view of the help she is essential to the plot but her own storyline is nowhere near as interesting or as poignant as the others and slows down the pace of the film in places. This is definitely a film worth watching, it's a beautifully told story and the performances may just move you to tears.
September 3, 2017
And then I thought I knew what racism was about. This is a must-see and I am for the rest of my life a fan of anything Octavia Spencer will play in.
September 1, 2017
Great film. Showing a great importance in american history. Fantastic characters. Moving but also with some real funny bits in places.
½ August 28, 2017
Really good movie and a must see for it shows the time period and mentality rather well.
August 9, 2017
Though the film has some good moments and fantastic performances by Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis, the film suffers in narrative and ends up being cliche-ridden of stuff we already have seen to death
July 29, 2017
I can watch this movie over and over again.
July 19, 2017
Very good. Hilarious, heart wrenching, and FULL with examples of integrity.
July 11, 2017
A premissa é poderosa e intrigante, mas o filme fita somente nas relações entre as empregadas domésticas e seus encargos submersos em humilhações padrões americanas, e no final parece que acabamos de ver um documentário, já que não há nenhuma trama por trás do tema racismo.
½ July 7, 2017
Watched it on tv and I thought it was very well acted and good story line. The poop pie.. HAHAHHA.
July 2, 2017
The movie that educated me about being a woman.
June 24, 2017
This film is insufferably self-righteous and phony to the core. Having a good "message" is no excuse for this kind of superficial and cartoonish depiction of race relations in a previous period. I couldn't bear to watch this after the first 20 minutes made me want to gag with the straining situations and acting by all the white folks, especially Emma Stone, while the black women as maids were subjected to the humiliation of social mistreatment as well as being stereotypes yet managed to rise above that somewhat compared to the odious racists they work for. The white folks are two-dimensional jerks with the exception of one named Skeeter (really!?) who wants to call attention to the maids' plight but manages only to be obnoxiously earnest and awkward--all of this so contrived and manipulative that it makes a mockery of civil rights activism. I feel sorry for the talented black actresses in this affair, who struggle to maintain dignity and credibility in this film that feels more like a bad stage play than a realistic movie. The sanctimony of this whole enterprise spoils a sincere concern about how badly blacks were treated--and in some cases still are--with such nauseating phoniness in the depiction of racist behavior.
June 17, 2017
A great drama with AMAZING performances ! I just loved this movie. So inspiring !
June 14, 2017
A wonderful cast and a powerful movie. It's hard to imagine how badly maids were treated, even if their employer had to lie and manipulate situations.
June 14, 2017
This movie is smart, this movie is kind, this movie is important. And beautiful.