The Help - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Help Reviews

½ September 18, 2017
The Help, based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett, is based in 1960s Mississippi where 3 women come together to write about the injustices 'the help' are suffering, break societal rules and hopefully change them for the better. Emma Stone as Skeeter and Octavia Spencer as Minny are both excellent but Viola Davis as Ailbileen puts in the performance of a lifetime and is the true heart and soul of the film. Jessica Chastain is also very bubbly and entertaining as Celia Foote and Bryce Dallas Howard puts in an fantastically evil performance as Hilly, a woman who wants to keep the help in their place and goes so far as making them use separate bathrooms! This film does an excellent job at highlighting the inequality and prejudice black people faced during this period, not referring to huge incidents and the violence against them but in the smaller more insidious racism and personal stories of the maids that are dealt with in a very emotional and moving way. The only down side is the focus on Skeeter, as the person who initially thinks of writing a book from the point of view of the help she is essential to the plot but her own storyline is nowhere near as interesting or as poignant as the others and slows down the pace of the film in places. This is definitely a film worth watching, it's a beautifully told story and the performances may just move you to tears.
½ September 3, 2017
There are good performances and settings in this period drama containing some memorable scenes. However, sometimes the movie doesn't gel and I found Stone's character to be too modern. AAN GGN
September 3, 2017
And then I thought I knew what racism was about. This is a must-see and I am for the rest of my life a fan of anything Octavia Spencer will play in.
September 1, 2017
Great film. Showing a great importance in american history. Fantastic characters. Moving but also with some real funny bits in places.
½ August 28, 2017
Really good movie and a must see for it shows the time period and mentality rather well.
August 9, 2017
Though the film has some good moments and fantastic performances by Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis, the film suffers in narrative and ends up being cliche-ridden of stuff we already have seen to death
July 29, 2017
I can watch this movie over and over again.
July 19, 2017
Very good. Hilarious, heart wrenching, and FULL with examples of integrity.
July 11, 2017
A premissa é poderosa e intrigante, mas o filme fita somente nas relações entre as empregadas domésticas e seus encargos submersos em humilhações padrões americanas, e no final parece que acabamos de ver um documentário, já que não há nenhuma trama por trás do tema racismo.
½ July 7, 2017
Watched it on tv and I thought it was very well acted and good story line. The poop pie.. HAHAHHA.
July 2, 2017
The movie that educated me about being a woman.
June 24, 2017
This film is insufferably self-righteous and phony to the core. Having a good "message" is no excuse for this kind of superficial and cartoonish depiction of race relations in a previous period. I couldn't bear to watch this after the first 20 minutes made me want to gag with the straining situations and acting by all the white folks, especially Emma Stone, while the black women as maids were subjected to the humiliation of social mistreatment as well as being stereotypes yet managed to rise above that somewhat compared to the odious racists they work for. The white folks are two-dimensional jerks with the exception of one named Skeeter (really!?) who wants to call attention to the maids' plight but manages only to be obnoxiously earnest and awkward--all of this so contrived and manipulative that it makes a mockery of civil rights activism. I feel sorry for the talented black actresses in this affair, who struggle to maintain dignity and credibility in this film that feels more like a bad stage play than a realistic movie. The sanctimony of this whole enterprise spoils a sincere concern about how badly blacks were treated--and in some cases still are--with such nauseating phoniness in the depiction of racist behavior.
June 17, 2017
A great drama with AMAZING performances ! I just loved this movie. So inspiring !
June 14, 2017
A wonderful cast and a powerful movie. It's hard to imagine how badly maids were treated, even if their employer had to lie and manipulate situations.
June 14, 2017
This movie is smart, this movie is kind, this movie is important. And beautiful.
June 11, 2017
Despite glossing over the era's racial tension. The great performances from Viola Davis,Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone help the film rise above the melodrama.
June 8, 2017
Wow... What a great film. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer should certainly win Oscars for their performances. The Help gave me a true understanding of African-American maids and their lives. It really gave me a good perspective on segregation and racism. Overall, a truly spectacular film.
½ June 3, 2017
When we need others to see a past that is slowly being forgotten, when we were the struggles those who are different from us had to go through. When we see those whom are different then us don't see difference in others, when we see we are all human. When others wish to see themselves in a light to only care to see themselves not others. When we don't see an age of pure wild and recklessness to be young, rich, dwell in music and permiscuous lifestyle of infidelity and drugs to live a nuclear lifestyle or live free. When we don't see the turmoils of maintaining a relationship, family, friends, lifestyle we lash out. When we see life in segregation is accepted. When others see something's clearly are wrong when we see the worst behind us when we report the major events in news. When we don't see a pair of fresh clear eyes to see the world through a different perspective. When what we see and feel we don't mind when we are old and seen it all. When something's we see but others don't see we cover up when some scars are meant to be hidden when beauty is only accepted on the outside. When we see life on the other side we see all what is different and strange to talk about. When we see gossip and news is important to others when we need to be on top of things larger or smaller then us. When what we see we distract ourselves with the dramas that are less important and unreal. When we see even people whom are like us we segregate from when they are different and not like us. When what we see we don't know when some gossip and news are fake when we don't see eye to eye on what others see. When we don't see why others are accepted and not accepted when we all have different perspectives regardless of our skin. When what we see we dehumanize when we see difference as beastly and unlike us humans. When we see something's we see are not true to follow others from seeing. When we can't see something's to ask others to see for us when we are disconnects us is going back to our own kind when we separate. When we make others believe we are something's when we are dishonest for their own good when social pressures of society acceptance is everything. When we see our societal ways don't accept us like we used to when we are getting old and sick to live like the next generation but we see others could. When we wished to see others carry on the same traditions we see that they don't see eye to eye with us when what we see is not true to our vary eyes. When we do see we must live by some societal standards when we have a reputation to uphold and can't be seen acting all wild and uncivil. When some indifference are closer at heart when we see that indifference taught us to see life that made us a good person we know we see now to know we see what's right. When we see not many people see, what they do as a service but as a livelihood when we see a home full of people we take care of like a family.
May 16, 2017
Outstanding uplifting and moving. Well worth the watch.
April 17, 2017
Gripping and sad with some great sassy characters, this movie shows how a cause can be fought for even if there are only a few willing to stand with you.