The King's Speech - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King's Speech Reviews

½ November 26, 2017
After watching this movie, I am confused as to why it received so much recognition. I assume some of its accolades must have been for its set design and production design which were indeed impressive, but past that, the story is bland and unsurprising. The entire movie hinges on the singularly interesting scene in which the King must make a speech during WWII under enormous pressure and not let his stuttering obscure his message. While the idea of the juxtaposition of the gravity of England's situation in the war at the time with the sometimes silly mechanisms by which the King produces fluent speech is indeed interesting, the surrounding two hours of film were so much less so. Each narrative turn the film takes is so routine that it actually began to be surprising, with scenes played out to tired beats (the wife of the speech therapist realizes she is in fact entertaining not some commoner's wife but the queen in her very own living room, the queen recognizes her astonishment and responds with a snappy acknowledgement of the humorous misunderstanding, looks are exchanged as a couple plucky string notes in the sound track tell us that this was a funny scene). The single benefit of this film is that it is one of the more realistic portrayals of a person who stutters, and makes it clear it is not because he is simply nervous or unsure of himself. Colin Firth does well in helping the audience feel the ceaseless frustration and humiliation that this condition can cause. So props for that, but this unfortunately was not enough to carry the story. On the bright side if you need something to watch with the extended family whom you are avoiding talking politics with over the holidays, there is nothing at all controversial in this film, or indeed intriguing enough to spark conversation, so this is a safe one.
½ November 25, 2017
'The King's Speech' speaks in more ways than just verbally.
½ November 20, 2017
Wonderfully casted and directed, Tim Hooper's "The King's Speech" is a triumphant tale about a fearful King who suffers from speech impediment, but manages to overcome it thanks from the help an failed actor who teaches him how to overcome his self-doubts. Colin Firth shine as the believable, yet humble King George the Sixth while Geoffrey Rush also tries to steal the show as the witty, yet approachable, Lionel Logue. The script was clean and the cinematography was crisp. An astounding achievement made by the filmmakers. A story that will touch and stay in your hearts forever.
November 6, 2017
Great movie with a lot of earned OSCARs.
½ September 24, 2017
Well done movie and great acting. some language
½ September 10, 2017
9/10
The king's speech is a well acted dialogue-type character study, Colin Firth shines as king George and has a compelling chemistry with Geoffrey rush character is Lionel Logue
September 3, 2017
A beautiful film based on a true story of one man trying to overcome his personal demons. AAW GGN 1001. M
August 30, 2017
The first time I watched this movie I was watching it on my laptop alone, sitting in my room at home. The second time I watched it was with my mom, and the third time I watched it I watched with both of my parents on a proper television screen. You know a movie's special when you keep getting drawn back to it and when the movie keeps getting better with each subsequent viewing. Oddly enough, people can't seem to stop griping that The King's Speech won Best Picture.

If I have to spell it out, there are five major Academy Awards handed out each year: (1) Best Picture; (2) Best Director; (3) Best Actor; (4) Best Actress; and (5) either Best Original or Adapted Screenplay. The King's Speech won 4 of those awards, which in itself is no easy feat. Almost nobody would complain at The King's Speech having won Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Original Screenplay. Firth's and Rush's performances were sublime, and Helena Bonham Carter was a strong supporting actress. Given that this film arguably deserved to win 3 of the five major Academy Awards hands down, it just makes sense to me that it also deserved to win Best Picture.

Why all the complaints then? Most critics of this movie will say because The King's Speech is "Oscar bait," but I don't buy that reasoning. Arguably, every good movie is, in some sense, an Oscar bait, as every good director will try to find new ways to make creative shots and build a storyline that will ultimately be successful. By this standard, the movies There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men are also Oscar baits, but hardly anyone complains about them. It seems ridiculous to me to criticize a movie because it was done well. At its core, the work of a director is to be a visual storyteller; accolades like the Academy Awards are simply given to those who succeed at it.

I have my own reservations for The King's Speech. First, the scene where Logue and Bertie start swearing almost uncontrollably seems a bit out of place, as if it was inserted into the movie just for comedic purposes. Second, the scenes where Bertie tells Logue about his hard childhood and where Logue's wife walks into the apartment when the royal family is there seem like cliché feel-good moments. Still, these are merely minor detractions from what I consider to be an otherwise strong film. I've always loved the speech scene with Beethoven's music playing in the background (I adore the whole soundtrack), and, for the most part, I also actually like the cinematography. In whole, the storytelling is effective and is supported by a great cast who gave it their all. Hate me for it, but I can see why The King's Speech won Best Picture.
August 25, 2017
fascinating and authentic kinda wanted more $8.50
August 20, 2017
A beautiful score and an interesting story line carried forward this well-acted period piece.
July 31, 2017
Colin Firth shows how great of an actor he is in his performance as King George VI. The Kings Speech is a truly inspiring film that shows how capable we are of over coming our fears and over coming expectations set by people including ourselves.
July 9, 2017
This film takes it time to give a very satisfying drama based on the true story. Colin Firth does a great job bringing humanity to a character that I thought was difficult to do. The rest of the cast does a great job, Helena Bonham Carter is great as usual, Guy Pierce was a great addition to the cast, but Geoffrey Rush was the anchor of the film for me. The film puts a lot on the line by relying mostly on the actors performances to make the film, and thankfully they all delivered. The film is genuinely moving and sheds light on an issue that is rarely brought up in film, and handles its material with the utmost professionalism
July 7, 2017
Great movie !!! Amazing performances by Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham and especially Colin Firth !!! Well deserved Oscar Colin !
July 5, 2017
Uniquely showing a different side to monarchs, The King's Speech looks behind the outward appearance of George and tackles serious issues plagued throughout his life brilliantly. With an excellent cast, and a brilliant post-production team, The King's Speech is a wonderfully put-together film.
June 18, 2017
Sua opulência praticamente grita: "Ei Oscar, olhe para mim.". Apesar da dimensão do contexto histórico, o diretor Tom Hooper evita grandes gestos em favor de reproduzir a história como um pequeno conto pessoal, sobre a superação de medos e ansiedades de um monarca, que tem problemas com a fala. Hooper consegue desvincular o ar de chatice que paira em filmes épicos, e da contornos sutis e delicados que ao decorrer ficam extremamente agradáveis, fica claro o potencial artístico do qual o cinema é capaz.
½ June 17, 2017
The King's Speech is a good movie, but that's it, it does not exceed the limit of a video, it has its merits, but when you think about the possibilities and even the possibilities of the cinema, "the Kings" does not exceed anything .

It is all done on a very shallow scale, a video made to satisfy and respond to the orders of those who asked or even to follow the course of the 2000s, which generated a line of biblio-cinematographic achievements on the reigns, especially the English royalty.
Even the performances follow the same rhythm, Colin Firth is fine, but we know of his ability, honestly here, it was not the time to receive his Oscar as best actor.

Geoffrey Rush goes further, which is the great relief of the film, his good character, can follow a rhythm of his own, but nothing more than something great, and we know that Rush is an excellent actor.

Perhaps this strangeness of being only good is justified by the direction of Tom Hooper, who is more accustomed to television accomplishments, which we can check in "King ...", not only because it is a closed script in internal locations, with a lighting Very clear and at the same time very artificial, but mainly for punctuating plans and against plans, a simple work almost lazy that the TV uses to simplify to the maximum and make clear what is talked about and with whom one talks, not opening spaces for Reflections and possibilities.

Apart from this the scenarios, especially where we have the presence of the character "Lionel Logue", is a clear reference of old age and decomposition that conversely give beauty to the film, however, Hopper (specifically close to the characters seated), abuses in wanting to present Such scenarios with cutouts that even work, but that used too much, tiring and only show that they are there like figurative form of a little explored world.
½ June 4, 2017
The best part of The King's Speech was its acting. As a character drama, the success of the film hinged on Firth's performance and he delivers. The script felt sound as character interactions were interesting and had progression. At the end of the day The King's Speech is a well-made straightforward feel good movie. The film never felt the need to have any flashy moments, but I would have liked just a little something special or memorable to cap it all off this solid period piece.
½ May 31, 2017
This movie will capture you. A respectful, wonderful performance and film showcasing a great monarch in a hard time.
May 10, 2017
Great film! Colin Firth gives possibly his greatest performance ever. Geoffrey Rush is also fantastic. This movie has you engaged from the very beginning in a subject matter that could be boring, that speaks to the great directing from Tom Hooper who did a great job with this movie. A well deserved 4 Oscar wins.
May 5, 2017
been a while since i seen it, could use a rewatch