The King's Speech - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King's Speech Reviews

February 12, 2017
No complaints here. Fan of the monarchy or not, here is a movie wherein the viewer is unavoidably engaged and routing for the aristocratic underdog. Brilliant performances by Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush & Co.
February 9, 2017
Not too bad for a tv movie. Good acting. If this wasn't some sort of important person, not sure there would be any interest in it. It goes well with the lost prince or the forgotten prince, the story of his brother afflicted with epilepsy. Meh, inbreeding. The royals solved that problem in the last two generations.
February 7, 2017
Great film. Can see why this won the oscar. So well made and Colin firth is amazing in it
February 1, 2017
Had a good plot and storyline to it. Really liked it!
½ January 20, 2017
O Discurso do Rei é um filme ótimo. Consegue tratar da gagueira do Rei George VI e ainda deixar espaço para dramas familiares, problemas políticos e a II Guerra Mundial, envolvendo todos os aspectos sociais e políticos da época. A ambientação é perfeita e vívida, dando quase para sufocar com a neblina carvão de Londres. Geoffrey Rush deu um show e conseguiu trazer alegria para essa história de superação carregada de sentimentos fortes. Colin Firth fez por merecer o seu Oscar de Melhor Ator e Helena Bonham Carter , nossa eterna Bellatrix, atua com o olhar. Com certeza é um filme para admirar.
½ January 18, 2017
This was such an interesting movie! I decided to finally watch it in the most fitting period, as I have recently watched "The Crown" TV series and the Royal family is now one of my latest obsessions. Period dramas are always a favorite pass time of mine, and monarchies and royals always fascinated me, so all I'm trying to say is that there could never have been a better time for me to watch this movie. I loved every frame of it and every second of it was pure agony. Firth managed to portray the whole scale of King George's emotions and all whilst showing us the true nature of the man's problem. Rush was simply amazing and Bonham Carter was astonishing in her supporting role. I love art when it depicts the human side of the royals and this movie does so with the outmost repsect. It was really interesting, very well made and brilliantly directed! I loved it!
January 11, 2017
A story of how one great man took tremendous fear and personal struggles and found the necessary courage to fight evil in the most critical of times. The true story alone is enough to make it outstanding, but the acting and all the parts that went into making this movie a work of art bring it to an entirely new level. Absolutely flawless.
January 5, 2017
Colin Firth guides the film, with the steady direction of Hooper, with an honest and moving dramatization that results in an entertaining drama.

Whether you're grounded on history or not, the on-screen narrative of the Duke of York (Colin Firth) is still attractive to watch because of Firth He takes the role and makes it his own, portraying a debilitating stammer with a sincere tone. As a result, we see a character that's complex and defeated even when he's at his most secured.

We also see that supporting character Geoffrey Rush, who plays the Kings
speech therapist, is a great blend with Firth. When they share the screen together they are effortless, humorous, and unpretentious. They play the student-teacher relationship well, and it's entertaing to watch the dedicated-teacher-and-challenging-student element unfold.
½ January 4, 2017
Nice and elegant picture about self-superation and friendship that counts with great interpretations, photography and artistic direction. I give a particular merit to this movie because for me (not very monarchic and living in a time where kings are just decorative figures), it was difficult to assume that a king´s speech can be important for nation, but the movie achieves to make you think it is (and also, makes you suffer with the task and circumstances of the main character). A good work, for me not the best of the year, but an interesting one.
December 31, 2016
Deserve to see it twice
December 29, 2016
A great movie. Loved the acting and the plot due to the plot being based on a true story. Very inspirational and worthy of being Best Picture.
December 28, 2016
Masterpiece. Firth gives an incredible performance.
December 28, 2016
Colin Firth is breathtaking in this acclaimed motion picture!
December 18, 2016
An intimate look into Pre World War 2 & The Events transpired. Colin Firths Performance was probably the best he's had yet.
December 5, 2016
A fascinating period drama that will probably please everyone (and find few detractors), with great dialogue and exquisite performances by Firth and Rush, who shine in their scenes together and sell us the natural relationship that grows between the two characters.
½ December 3, 2016
Love, love, love this film and the cast! Amazing!
½ October 27, 2016
I feel like this is one of those perfect films. Nothing is wrong with it, as far as I can tell.
½ October 20, 2016
Great film...an absolute must see.
October 10, 2016
Excellent top notch movie.
½ October 1, 2016
Honestamente al principio no me llamó la atención, la vine a ver muchos años mas tarde, y me arrepiento de no haberla visto a penas salió, es muy buena, las actuaciones son increíbles Colin Firth es espectacular, pero la que más me sorprendió fue Helena Bonham Carter, siento que es uno de sus mejores papeles, es entretenida y hasta chistosa.