The Limehouse Golem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Limehouse Golem Reviews

March 17, 2018
Reading some of the "professional critic" reviews I wonder if they've even watched the same movie. As a piece of cinema it's lush, beautiful, vivid yet dark, the themes of performance run through like a threat of silk in a canvas sack full of bodies. It's one of those movies you can watch several times and draw something different from it each viewing. It's most definitey is not a horror move, it's a thriller and a satire and it's bloody marvelous
February 4, 2018
The 19th century murder mysteries!

Based on the book of the same name. The late 1800s murder mystery, revolving around a young woman and an old cop who is investigating a series of murders. Elizabeth Cree had not had a best childhood, but she almost reached to her dream to become a best actress in the town. Then suddenly a murder jeopardise everything she had worked so hard. Now she has to cooperate with a detective to come out of the mess. But the tale takes a twist at every corner, making more complication for her freedom. How this puzzle is solved was told with a final twist that flips the whole scenario upside down.

First of all, I love such costume drama. The atmosphere was awesome. Well maintained suspense, along with a good pace of the story narration. From all it's the actors, especially for me, it's the Olivia Cooke. Bill Nighy was not bad too. Despite he's one of the main character, Cooke stole the show. But the film was not a masterpiece. From an entertainment perspective, it delivered. I think it was a good adaptation. The only weak point is, most people would guess the end twist. It was intentional. But overall film was decent.

January 31, 2018
Cleverly written, beautifully performed- a thriller to the last moment. Plenty of thoughtful action, a complex murder mystery and a fantastic view into the world of the late 1800's music hall. Olivia, Bill and Douglas are truly spectacular in their roles, the supporting cast are amazing. All are completely colourful, rich, and, most importantly, believable. A must watch!
½ January 29, 2018
A really solid, old-school, Gothic murder mystery with some great performances. Bill Nighy is great and Olivia Cooke (Rachel the dying girl from 2015's 'Me and Earl and the Dying Girl') is dynamite in here. There are several gory scenes that I wasn't a huge fan of, but overall it kept me on the edge all the way through. Highly recommended for people who enjoy classic whodunit stories.
January 6, 2018
If you like crime and period films, this ripper film is for you.
January 6, 2018
Watchable but the ending is to easy to spot
January 5, 2018
Film avvincente anche se troppo simile a Jack lo squartatore.Bello e con finale complesso e stupefacente,bravi.
December 30, 2017
If you like suspense, but hate those annoying surprises that often come along with them.
December 30, 2017
Awfy gid recomend to mum
½ December 30, 2017
A mind twister. Great acting.
December 22, 2017
Unpredictable, original, twisted and interesting are the best words to describe this clever and well acted movie that just won't please that people which aren't accostumed of escape a little from cliched and usual movies.
½ December 21, 2017
Overly gruesome whodunnit with a forced twist.
December 16, 2017
A typical crime mystery with a gut twist at the end. The supporting characters are bland and as well known as the viewer that may be watching the movie. The importance is Lizzie, to tell her story and to feel sympathy for her and to give hope at odd ends that she will receive a happy ending, hoping the same as the Inspector John Kildare, Dan Leno, and John Cree do in the story. And so it is not the twist of being tricked that the story led the viewer astray as a typical crime movie, but rather that the viewer fell victim to the same sympathies as the three men. The story opens with Lizzie being accused of murder, but instantly the viewer thinks otherwise and ho-hum, she'll be found innocent by the end of the story, but let's see how we got there typical crime drama. It's the 1800's and her name is Lizzie. What jumps to mind when thinking 1800's Lizzie? Lizzie Borden, likely. The story straight tells viewer who the murderer is, then leads the viewer astray, just to come full circle back to the beginning of the story where she is actually found guilty, instead of innocent. And for the cherry on top, Lizzie kills even after her death. Aveline Ortega gets hanged, Kildare and Dan look at one another, knowing they both know it was Lizzie, and do not forget the viewer is the third that knows, and that is hammer where the viewer and characters in the story are suddenly at one, not an aha intellectual moment, and not the typical sadness emotional moment, but a unique emotional hidden moment that the story built up within the viewer for this final act of the story. How blind we stay even after we have been shown the truth.
December 15, 2017
This was serviceable at best. It's mostly unmemorable, not gleeful OR dark enough to pull off the gore, and so paint-by-numbers that one can't help but notice who the filmmakers obviously wished they could cast (hint - it's not who ended up in the movie). But there are two good reasons to watch it. 1) Bill Nighy endowing it with more dignity than it deserves, and [SPOILERS!!!!!] 2) a scene in which Karl Marx decapitates a sex worker, which nearly made me piss myself.
December 14, 2017
The Limehouse Golem is steeped in excellent period detail and offers a real sense of a prestigious city and the decadent underbelly that it tries so desperately to hide. The mystery at it's centre is very difficult to completely follow, since the film jumps around between important plot points and characters and gives you little time to orientate yourself. I almost gave up at times, but a desire to see how it would end kept me invested until the very final moments. It plays somewhat fast and loose with reality, twisting perceptions and using camera tricks and CGI to warp our sense of what's real and what's imaginary. Bill Nighy gives the lead a stoic, balanced confidence as he attempts to investigate a serial killer on the loose, while also trying his best to prevent a person in need throwing everything away for pride. I can't see myself watching it again, and it goes on for maybe 20 minutes longer than it should, throwing in more and more details, ostensibly to make the proceedings more complicated, but it feels more like it was done to prolong the duration. But it's a treat for anyone interested in murder mysteries and/or gothic horror, and its visuals, whether they be to titillate the senses or turn the stomach, are not soon forgotten.
½ December 3, 2017
Une intrigue de plus dans le Londres victorien, toujours sympathique mais prévisible et déjà vu.
December 3, 2017
Felt like From Hell mixed with Dr Parnassus, started watching it to see what sort of movie it was and got hooked til the finish, the twist got me too, I quite enjoyed the attention to detail and snappy cutting through time it felt fresh yet authentic like a better attempt at Guy Richies Sherlock. It also at times felt like The Prestige. If you like this sort of thing it's done well here.
November 29, 2017
Focused direction and excellently developed characters played out by the talented ensemble cast overcome the not entirely unexpected twist to make an addictive Victorian detective mystery that thoroughly explores the strides people would take for sheer ambition.
November 19, 2017
Fantastic. Wonderful cast, superb acting and a gripping, suspenseful film. Kept me guessing until the very end. A wonderful film with a very unexpected ending - be prepared for a rather large surprise.
Can't say too much or I'll give the game away.
November 19, 2017
Darn I thought it was a horror movie instead it was a crime thriller and not a great one either. A poor cast except for Bill Nighy. I liked the twist at the end eventhough I saw it coming.