The Loneliest Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Loneliest Planet Reviews

½ March 7, 2016
The spectator slowly enters in this quiet drama by Julia Loktev, roughly interrupted just like common life events break through people's days.
The photography, while not technically the best, is very rich on beauty whilst poor on number of subjects.
January 30, 2016
Worst movie I have EVER seen. Shocking
½ December 8, 2015
A study in the breakdown of interpersonal communication and those small, crucial moments that can define or destroy a relationship.
½ November 30, 2015
Such terrible cinematography in such a beautiful setting. What a wasted opportunity.
½ March 9, 2015
Okay, no more movies about hiking ( Wild, 127 Hours, Into The Wild ). Also, without Reese Witherspoon moaning and panting the entire time... just ZZZZZZZ!
February 9, 2015
A poorly shot, pitiful spectacle of two human beings with no courage or humility. A poor representation of love and reality. A story of people who are so consumed with their mortality that they fail to care for one another when it is confronted. The only redeeming thing about this film is the use of natural light and the coloring of the film. Otherwise it's a drawn out spectacle with too many shots of the grass growing.
December 10, 2014
Too slow and not much going on. I almost fell asleep but made it through.
November 30, 2014
Change of perspective.
November 28, 2014
Is more like fart movie, yes?
½ October 4, 2014
Good scenery but overall a little blah.
½ August 31, 2014
Whoopty-do - you created a whole movie without a text, where the entire conflict is in the subtext. So it's kind of a new form of film communication, and we have to respect it, even though it's so indulgently long and borrrring!
½ August 6, 2014
This is a film about the ways in which we know someone; and then all of a sudden, we don't.

The extreme long shots that last eight minutes accompanied by meditative music attempt to take us to these mountains and see what the characters cannot.
The unflinching takes of monotonous conversation aim to bring you into the relationship of two people that feel utterly comfortable with each other.
At the same time, the long takes capturing a relentless silence will tell us much more about them than anything they can say. There is a lot in a relationship that remains in the dark, words that go unsaid and thoughts go unexpressed. Much of a relationship is built on what is not said. This film captures that quiet crumbling of a superficial relationship based on conjugating verbs and headstands. It asks but never answers the questions: what does it mean to be a man, a coward, independent, in love, alone? Well done.
½ July 13, 2014
Despite the film's talented leads and haunting tone the story will test your patients as a viewer. It becomes apparent that there's little meat on this film's proverbial bones. Moreover the payoff isn't worth the wait but I suppose any film that sparks debate is worth checking out.
½ April 15, 2014
Just for the cinematography.
½ April 12, 2014
Horrible. Just horrible.
½ March 9, 2014
When the scenery steals the show you know the movie sucks. This may be one of the worst movies ever filmed. Tedious, vacuous, slow, aimless and dull. It confuses inertia for progress and pretty pictures for purposeful movie-making. A truly godawful film.
½ January 4, 2014
Garbage. Absolutely boring and waste of time.
½ January 1, 2014
This is assured filmmaking to be sure and I applaud director Loktev's tenacious focus. But... As unimpeachable as I find her artistry, I must balk at her unwillingness to meld it with the needs of art's audience.