The Plague Dogs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Plague Dogs Reviews

March 31, 2019
I'm not going to say it's good or bad, but the first time I watched it, I almost vomited. Can't fully explain why. Maybe it was the unexpected and grotesque violence. I personally did not like it and will never watch it again, but you do you.
January 3, 2019
A great movie about realistic animal testing.
½ September 5, 2018
This story spares no expense in its journey to imbue its canine characters with pathos. A supreme depression that is expertly earned, turning the neutral into dog lovers and dog lovers into misanthropes.
October 13, 2017
The Plague Dogs is a truly underrated classic that deserves more respect than it currently has. Being the 2nd animated film from director Martin Rosen, this doesn't shy away from sucking anything deemed optimistic and turning it into a sequence of unfortunate events, leading to the deaths of the dogs at the end of the film. In some ways, this adaptation of the 1977 novel of the same name is more harsh than it's original predecessor, with the main example being the ending I mentioned earlier. I don't care if you have a strong or weak stomach, WATCH IT.
June 7, 2017
This is not a kids movie. In fact it might traumatize little ones whose parents thought it was just another funny talking animal movie. 'The Plague Dogs' tells the story of best friends, Rowf and Snitter, who escape from an animal research center after being tortured and experimented upon. Rowf and Snitter run into difficulty adjusting to life in the wild as they find themselves being hunted by their captors. Relying on a cunning fox calling himself The Tod, who they've reluctantly befriended, our heroes must navigate through a dangerous world where anyone could be a threat. It's already easy to root for our three protagonists as they're abused animals. But they also have their own personalities with emotional depth and undying loyalty to each other, making them all the more sympathetic. You might want to have tissue handy because you could be in tears by the end of this one. I recommend trying to find the original uncut version because whoever censored this film thought American audiences couldn't handle a tragic and bloody story about two dogs on the run from the rest of the world.
March 20, 2017
Better than the book I believe. I'd go as far as to say even better than the 'Watership Down' film. Very gritty, and very real storytelling in pace and development. Sad ending, but it works that way.
August 23, 2016
The fact that you cannot buy the full version of this film on Blu-Ray today is a shame. Every bit as powerful as other adult animated tales such as Watership Down and When the Wind Blows, this film is guaranteed to make you laugh, cry, and want to run to hug your dog.

The animation is beautifully rendered, with more realism than you can find in any modern animated tale. The voice acting with the characters of Snitter and Rolf is real, even chilling. You really feel for these dogs, especially during the beginning when you see the conditions they are forced to endure in the animal testing lab.

Watch this if you can, but do so with plenty of tissues. 5/5
July 10, 2016
This is one of those masterpieces you find every once in awhile. The animation is amazing. The characters and voice acting is amazing. The story is amazing. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
½ July 4, 2016
Probably the most depressing cartoon of all time. This film makes Pink Floyd's "The Wall" seem like a warm cup of cocoa. Good luck. I warned you.
½ February 9, 2016
What a hidden gem this is! Great storytelling from great storytellers. Plague Dogs is based off a novel written by Richard Adams who also wrote Watership Down. Both also directed by Martin Rosen.
½ June 27, 2015
Very similar-looking to 'Watershed Down' (same original novelist and film producer) It's sometimes beautiful, but extremely down beat.
January 16, 2015
A truly heartbreaking tale of real companionship in the face suffering, fear and utter despair. You would be hard pressed to find another animated drama so powerfully executed. I believe this film is a minor masterpiece
January 12, 2015
The film ripped my heart out of my chest and dropped it into a meat grinder!
January 7, 2015
A dark animated film that make us reflect about the use of animals for experiments in the name of the science, in this case "bad science" if something like it could exist.
Two dogs run away from an experiment lab that is more a torture center and they become bandits because their need to survive and the cold shoulder of the people.
December 2, 2014
A children's film that is not for children. Possibly the darkest cartoon I've ever seen (the film opens with a scene of a dog drowning and it doesn't get any more family friendly later). It's bold, deep and disturbing but best viewed by adults.
September 13, 2014
A very peculiar and utterly melancholic tale filled with plenty of shocking moments that are sure to leave a scar on the viewer as the subject matter is not only tragic but also relatable to the society we all live in. The imaginative tale and sad tone both help to create a story thats visually stunning and that couldnt have possibly be made in any other time or style, which truly makes it a classic that while it may be a little monotonous, it is enjoyable in all its sadness.
August 26, 2014
A rather lovely dark little story.
August 19, 2014
A devastating, unbearable, And yet an amazing adventure to see.
August 15, 2014
Probably one of the slowest animated movies I've ever seen. The story is very scattered with many moments of nothing happening. The fade in and outs are beyond irritating. Its a shame too with nice animation, promising premise and neat realism. Though this isnt as dark as many would say more uneventful then anything... Its not that bad so I wouldn't say avoid like the plague. Just go into it expecting something very slow