The Tall Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tall Man Reviews

October 19, 2017
You have to pay attention. Great concept, but it wasn?t done as well as I think it could have been.
October 3, 2017
Anyone who doesn't understand the message behind this AMAZING film is either lucky enough to never experience/see the neglect and abuse inflicted upon so many children every day, or is not a true film fan and sh shouldn't be reviewing movies.
It's a beautiful, haunting message that will leave you wondering "can we ever do the right thing by our children, or will we just perpetuate the cycle of inner torment and sadness?"
March 27, 2017
A really smart little film. Not what you expect
February 24, 2017
Ce petit film d'horreur est remarquable par son plot twist au milieu, difficile de le voir venir, ainsi que la fin, mais du coup, forcement la crédibilité de l'ensemble laisse grandement à désirer, malgré une bonne qualité de l'ensemble.
February 11, 2017
Interesting mystery/horror about disappearing kids, with a twist. Contains ham-fisted social commentary. I like any film that involves a basement connected to old disused mines.
½ February 7, 2017
This film is an interesting take on the "Dark Stranger" trope of child disappearances, the plot has enough twists and turns that you are never sure who can be trusted, and who should be feared. Jessica Biel does extremely well as the harried nurse trying to keep the residents of a town that is dying by inches, alive and healthy despite themselves, and McHattie is superb as the outsider figure of authority trying to figure out why the children are vanishing. The location is at the sometime gorgeous and terrifying with its mist filled forests, stark decaying structures it gives a feeling of a place where hopes and dreams go to die. There are not a lot of jump scares in this film, but it does have an air of overbearing dread that comes as much from the plot as it does from the condition of the degradation of the town and the human soul.
½ December 23, 2016
An outrageous and painfully despicable piece of garbage that has no understanding of pacing and offers one of the most morally disgusting pseudo-sociological messages ever committed to celluloid - which leads me to think that Laugier is just as repulsive as his work. (Zero stars)
November 19, 2016
This is ought to blow your mind out.
½ October 24, 2016
Its like half Ghost story, half murder mystery. It was weird but the acting was good.
September 3, 2016
Jessica Biel always gives good performances on every role that she is given. I thought this movie was pretty predictable, I mean I hate to be that petson but this is a storyline that happens in horror movies all the time. However it kept my attention and was pretty interesting. All in all not a bad movie to watch. So for this being a very good solid film to watch, I give " The Tall Man " a C.
½ August 26, 2016
Ok. So why I'm rating it so high? Well, first I think it's worthed. The movie is long and twisted for sure. But it has sense as well. I couldn't see it before the very end, but all the same it's there.
The leading actress is put in position which is very different from what we see in the trailer. Half the movie seen, we still don't know what is going on. I'll admit that they could deliver a little more info about her family history. Could even make it as a hint to be understood later on.
There is something else.I guess the abducters plan could work better with some kids, but surely not all of them. Older kids have real memories and certain looks which couldn't be changed at least for an year. Now, this is something I conseder a plot hole. For me, the movie could be forgiven this much and not be blamed as "a colossal waste of time".
Last, it is not a scary movie, or at least it can't be seen as one if you don't have kids on your own. It's more of a psychological thriller.
June 27, 2016
At first I was very confused and disappointed because the movie didn't seem to be about anything I thought it would be. By the end of the movie I was pleasantly surprised because it turned out to be a pretty good twist.
½ May 9, 2016
Hard to understand but once you catch on, The Tall Man becomes a surprisingly clever little movie with themes that spark relevant discussion
April 10, 2016
Really good film! It has a message!
March 18, 2016
It took awhile to get going and I did start to wonder if I should just stop watching but I stuck through it and I'm glad I did. There were quite a few twists in this movie and in the final scenes of it, it all made sense.
½ March 17, 2016
Very poor attempt of a horror/thriller about a woman who is traumatized about the loss of her own child she does anything she can to ease her pain
½ February 29, 2016
Gosh, after watching the trailer & picking this out of the scary movie section - I did not see that twist coming. In fact I was so baffled mid-movie I'm still contemplating if it was good or not. Kudos for turning what could've been a clichéd 'evil spirit/demon/monster in the woods eating children' into a realistic crime thriller with an organised underground (literally lol) child trafficking operation. Cleverly unexpected & I doubt anyone saw that coming, but ultimately boring. Maybe the clichéd version would have been more fun?
½ December 22, 2015
Pretty confusing film that makes more sense after you read the synopsis following the film. It's an interesting crime drama thriller about morality. It's a vigilante style film whereas the moral choice may not be moral and is certainly not legal. There is a martyr involved and the beginning is so confusing into making you think this could be a science fiction film, but that is not the case.
December 11, 2015
One of those rare cinematic treats wherein the work is so bad one desires to reach out and flail the offenders as badly as one felt oneself assailed. I'm going with the director/writer as the major perpetrator of this assault on one's innocence, although the film's star seems suspiciously culpable as well. A vomiting in your face that begs Biblical vengeance, steer far clear of this.
½ December 9, 2015
Tall Man wasn't so exciting for me. It was suppose to reference Slender man, but didn't do a good job at telling its story.