The Vow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vow Reviews

December 1, 2016
Tositapahtumiin perustuva, ehdottomasti katsomisen arvoinen elokuva. ?? (Suom. The Vow - Onnen varjot)
December 1, 2016
The Vow is based on true events. Rachel McAdams plays the role of Paige, and Channing Tatum plays the role of Leo. As soon as you hear Rachael it draws yours attention right away, since she did the movie called "The Notebook". The movie takes places in Chicago, but there is also some scenes taken in Toronto, Canada. The moving consist of not losing hope when it comes to true love. The beautiful couple has a car accident and Paige losses her memory for five years. This is a sweet and emotional movie. A little of patience has to be taken since Paige does not remember her husband (Leo) and does not do anything to keep her vows. Special visual tools are used to help Paige remember about who she is and what was her life consisted before the accident. It is perfect for a movie date night. The plot really brags your attention, because is something that could happen in real life, or maybe there is already people who feels identify by it. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and maybe appreciate your significant other more.
October 28, 2016
This film is well made, even thou charming moments can be a bit superfictial, the actors manage to give it credibility,
Perhaps not of the best production, but the story really stands and love triumphs (cant believe i wrote this line, guys forgive me)
October 10, 2016
Expected mush, sap and total predictability, and was surpised that it was none of those. It didn't suck half as bad as I was sure it would. In fact, given the description and the vomit-inducing cover, the end was actually mildly surprising. Also, for a pleasant change, no nudity (except Tatum's naked rear, but whoop-dee-doo), no horribly foul language, and no bloody gore, so good for them.
½ October 9, 2016
The Vow is an extremely underrated romantic drama.
In this utterly romantic and genuine movie Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams show all their charm and chemistry and the result is a heart-welming tale.
September 25, 2016
This was a great movie.
July 31, 2016
My fav romance movie ever
June 9, 2016
The true story is a beautifully sad story, but this movie did such a horrible job in depicting that. There was little mention of the actual "vows". Throughout the movie, I hated McAdams' character. I thought Paige was horrible because there were no signs in that she was trying to regain her memory with Leo or stay true to her vows despite the fact she saw their wedding video. She just became this frilly sorority girl, while the whole time, I felt so awful for Leo. It's funny how they decided to dye McAdams' hair. In the end she looked like she had grey hair. I didn't like the ending...

The title of the movie does not reflect the actual plot at all.
June 6, 2016
I would have rated this half a star more because I love Rachel McAdams, but Channing Tatum was so terrible. They should have cast a better actor.
½ June 3, 2016
I found the performances from Tatum and McAdams great but the story does not feel natural and felt like I was going back and forth, from "saving the relationship" to "the relationship not working out"... for an hour and forty minutes!
½ May 27, 2016
While it's not the best romantic-drama movie, it is worth a watch for people who enjoy romantic dramas.
½ May 26, 2016
While The Vow will make for a decent date night, this incredible true story about a strong Christian couple has been tainted by Hollywood's dramatization into a secular, trendy love story.
March 1, 2016
If memories and life experiences are what make us who we are, what shadow of ourselves do we become if their taken away? Based on a true story, The Vow eloquently and subtly captures the truth behind how both fragile and fickle the human mind can be, and exactly how far you will go to reclaim someone you lost.

Married in front of a handful of friends in a beautiful Chicago art gallery (without their permission), Leo (Channing Tatum) and Paige (Rachel McAdams) sincerely vow (written on matching menus) to fiercely love, tenderly hold and never forget their once in a lifetime passion for each other.

On a thick snowy night their life and vows are shattered when a car accident lands the pair in hospital. Leo makes a quick recovery from minor cuts and bruises; Paige however is placed into an induced comma to aid in the recover from severe head trauma.

When Paige awakes, she cannot remember either the accident or Leo. Suffering from retrograde amnesia, she shies away from Leo, asking for her now estranged family, former fiancé and information about law school of which she left five years earlier.

Unable to trigger any memories of their life together, Paige is set to leave the hospital and return to a life pre-leo. Her narrow-minded lawyer dad (Sam Neil) and obsessive mother (Jessica Lange) come to 'bring her home'. Determined to reclaim his wife, Leo interrupts by replaying a voice message from before the accident and the ultimately happy tone convinces Paige she should at least try, and leaves with her stranger husband to their apartment.

Attempting to defy medical science and break through Paige's mental barrier, Leo's endless patience in explaining the details of their life as Paige pulls back to the only life she remembers is an emotionally complex and painful journey.

Retreating from her friends, her career as a sculptor and Leo, Paige has not only lost the memory of herself, but the will to find her. Showing only a willingness to re-claim the life she abandoned and fled years before, confusion and estrangement sets in.

Can Leo find a way to make her remember herself? If not, can he make her fall in love with him all over again or by chance will she make the same discoveries again and guide herself back to their life together?

Many critics will find this film easy to judge, chalking it up to little more than a made-for-tv drama, unable to digest the premise that someone can simply forget who they love. However, speaking from personal experience, there is nothing that comes remotely close to the heart breaking feeling of greeting someone who you love unconditionally that subconsciously shies away from your touch with blank recognition.

Softly portraying the anguish and perseverance of Leo, Tatum is quite convincing as a loving husband that simply just wants to embrace his lost wife, McAdams makes Paige real with a genuine sense of self-doubt and personal insecurities. Endearing and touching with authentic people, situations and dilemmas, sadly both the characters and the film are hindered by the screenplays shallow exploration of topic.

The Verdict: Not on the same cinematic level as The Notebook, there is something beautifully innocent about this quirk of fate film. Slightly over-simplified and suffering from a few shortcuts, The Vow strikes a balance between grace, pain and commitment without feeling heavy with overt sentimentality.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 24/02/2012
½ February 27, 2016
Girl loses her memories and is forced to fall back in love with her husband. Very chick flick. (Better than the notebook, but worse than a normal movie).
February 9, 2016
nice movie and enjoyable
December 11, 2015
Spoiler Alert: Falling in Love once is difficult enough, but twice with the same women....Impossible to think....especially when the woman doesn't remember you. I almost thought the film was a Nicholas Sparks book adaptation, until discovering i.e. was actually based upon a true story. 3 Stars
December 4, 2015
71%
Saw this on 31/3/15
The vow starts off well, but it becomes shallow and ordinary in it's last 20-30 minutes. However it's watchable due to the earnest efforts of Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams.
November 29, 2015
The Vow is adapted from a true story. The commencement of the movie is the scene that Paige Collins ( starring : Rachel McAdams) and her husband Leo ( starring: Channing Tatum) come out of a movie theater. On their way home, Paige unbuckles her seatbelt to lean over and kiss Leo. At that very moment, a truck collides their car from behind and Paige crashes through the windshield. In the meanwhile, Leo narrates words that "The moment of impact. The moment of impact proves potential for change." After this accident, Paige leaves in coma. When she awakes, she doesn't remember Leo as well as those sweet memories. Some people might think this plot is complete cliché. However, I think it really makes me feel touched. Also, it gives heart palpitations to fans of its charming co-stars Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum. I really love their performance in About Time and Dear John while this one is the most incredible one.
½ November 1, 2015
The Vow has been targeted with adjectives like shoal.
Honestly, I can't see why.
To me, this movie is a touching romantic drama that discusses some of the most important aspects of Love.
October 11, 2015
Cute, but too predictable and cliche for my tastes. The director could have done a lot more with the unique, based-on-a-true-story, plotline, but the characters lacked depth. In fact, the fact that's it's inspired by a true story is the only reason it's potentially worth-watching.