Their Finest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Their Finest Reviews

½ January 15, 2018
Not a story I knew a great deal about, the comedy is balanced well against the drama, particularly the social commentary during this period.
December 28, 2017
***ACE! MOVIE BACKLOT STORY ABOUT DUNKIRK EVACUATION... BOB'S YOUR UNCLE!***
December 16, 2017
Well played all round, an excellent cast does not disappoint and the story unfolds with a pleasing mixture of laughs, love and tears as it meanders to a very correct conclusion.
November 17, 2017
A rom com that's the opposite of a traditional rom com. Subtle, slow, and kind of sad.
November 17, 2017
I can“t remember a Drama that made me feel in the story. Its a master piece.
½ November 1, 2017
The dude is such a whore. That's why you shouldn't fuck with painters in the 1940's. Pacing was slow but very well written. Wasn't that engaging tbh. Gets better in the ending.
½ October 22, 2017
Loved this fim. Bill Nighy was great fun
½ October 15, 2017
You need exhilarating moments to support the people during wartime, just like Mrs Miniver did to the Americans. Bill Nighy is a gem here.
½ September 30, 2017
It doesn't do much to either create a strong female lead or make any resonant points on the film industry during this time. It's a light film that's easily forgettable.
September 26, 2017
The war and the cinema!

The film was based on the book and about filmmaking, particularly screen writing. Fictional comedy-drama that is set in London in 1940. While the war tearing apart the nation, some people are not disturbed by it. They are going ahead with their film projects, especially war themed to boost the people's confidence. That's when the new arrival, Mrs. Cole, begins her career as a writer. So her experience working with the scripts, meeting the real people whose story are getting adapted and her gloomy romance, everything lets us know.

A nice film and a little different than the majority of the film that came this year. The focus was good. I mean while bombs falling from the sky, all this tale concentrated was film business. Something like 'Argo', but given less preference to the war, except its consequences which diverted their plan in some scenario. So there were many small-small twist and turns. It also gets emotional at one stage. A well written and directed film similar to what the film characters did their best in the story.

Gemma was good, but Claflin was totally different, in a good way. As much as I enjoyed, I also thought it should have been even better. Because thematically it was not for everyone. I mean the world war was a good idea, but the filmmaking was not like you are usually familiar with. Besides, it was not a laughing out loud comedy. Between the seriousness of war and fun around making films, the combination was rare and well worked out. Those who love pre 50s, 40s settings in a film would enjoy it for sure. Especially if they like films about films.

6/10
September 23, 2017
Beautiful and very well directed, Their Finest is a mix of drama and british humor that show the behind the scenes of a movie during the wartime. An impeccable period drama with great performances of Gemma Arterton (excellent), Sam Claflin and Bill Nighy. (4/5)
½ September 17, 2017
A pleasant and gentle film
½ September 16, 2017
Characters were well established from beginning to end; the growth of the relationships was clear and continue to grow throughout the film right up until the last scene. Bill Nighy brought a harsh but loving time to the move. Gemma Arterton and Sam Claffin's relationship was well played throughout and especially the growth of their relationship was clearly seen.
AIt modern take on an old way of thinking was well thought out and well played by all the characters in "the movie" and in the movie. It is a brilliant tale of love and loss set in one of the biggest cotastrophies in war history. This was definitely one of the best films I've seen this year.
September 2, 2017
A film with many more layers than you might expect (or hope for). Not the sentimental mush it might have been, a great cast, interesting script and a real heart!
September 2, 2017
So many good reviews. Not impressed
August 30, 2017
Very British, very enjoyable with a brave ending - worth a watch.
August 27, 2017
A British movie studio wants to make a film about Dunkirk but they run into some setbacks like one of their stars not being able to act well and their scriptwriting office keeps getting bombed by nazis.
August 27, 2017
So, about that death towards the end. I suppose I "get it" from a message perspective, but it did feel like a WTF moment, and not really in a good way.
½ August 25, 2017
Funny, poignant, and heartfelt, Their Finest presents a war drama that shows a look behind the scenes on the homefront, and the result is an emotionally charged story with great characters, thanks to a charming performance from Gemma Arterton.
½ August 25, 2017
Nothing to emotionally connect to. C