Their Finest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Their Finest Reviews

½ July 23, 2017
Interesting on a number of levels, but for some reason the production values just didn't stand up to the content. Because of the predictability and lack of nuance, it felt like an afternoon special...
½ July 22, 2017
Bill Nighy is really good. Sam Claflin and Gemma Arterton give measured performances. Good watch.
July 22, 2017
Their Finest is a very sleek, cinematically polished film. Lighting, production design and costumes give the film the 1940s wartime feel. Their Finest is compelling & investing, with deep characters you can root for. The film's plot twists were unfortunately pretty predictable. It's quite ironic that Their Finest (a film about a talented scriptwriter) is a tad let down by its script, particularly in dramatic scenes. Tension between characters was built successfully, but the film struggled in dealing with drama at its peak - lots of characters storming off. Their Finest has some laugh-out-loud comedy thanks to the brilliance of Bill Nighy, but it wasn't quite as well-rounded as I expected.
July 19, 2017
Enjoyable but not on the same level as Hidden Figures.
July 17, 2017
The prequel to Dunkirk........sort of
July 15, 2017
Breath of fresh air.
½ July 14, 2017
Brit-drama about movie-making during WW2 London. Very good female centered film from a famous European woman director! Have a dash of counter-programming! You'll love it!
July 9, 2017
Left the cinema feeling uplifted.
June 27, 2017
Lenta al comienzo. Buena trama. Fuerte desenlace. Vale la pena. Llevar Kleenex.
½ June 16, 2017
Had high hopes for this, cuz couldn't wait a month for opening of DUNKIRK. Dunkirk this was NOT. Exhausted my patience. Slow. Ponderous. Not entertaining. Not comedy, not funny. Dark. Dull. Like watching writers write. But she was nice and cute. Saw in the cheap AMC 7-2017.
½ June 15, 2017
Today I watched a relatively unknown period piece romance called Their Finest - it is currently in theaters and it centers on a young woman who in World War II-era Great Britain is among the script writers tasked with writing a war propaganda film about Dunkirk. She's a married woman, but as her job progresses she develops an attraction to her fellow script writer.
What this movie has to offer is quite a few great scenes...even ones not necessarily concerning the plot...and tons of atmosphere. The utilization of the movie inside the movie is also extremely well done, and is shot very well, giving us a nice throwback to early cinema. The sharp shifts in tones here work I believe because it is a movie that knows it is a period piece romance set in World War II Great Britain, meaning death and destruction can happen at any time, and the movie knows how to work that in rather well. For what the performances were supposed to be, I thought they were mostly solid, even if Bill Nighy's old man actor at the beginning starts off as a tad too unbelievable. Gemma Arterton as the protagonist doesn't always stick the landing in some scenes, but she has the charisma, likeability and necessary emotion to nail down the feels that the movie is going for.
The characters themselves are given plenty of characterization, most of them are dynamic and they do feel like real people in moments.
But the main problem this movie runs into - outside of its clunky beginning - is its mostly cliche'd handling of its romance. I feel like sometimes it forced characters to say and do things they otherwise wouldn't do for the sake of following the same old tried and true story beats that pervade run-of-the-mill romances. There's a scene with the protagonist's husband that I simply did not buy because of the way that they set him up his character as a geuiniely nice guy. Not that they have to drop hints or anything, but sometimes I feel you can go so far to build a character that there are limits you would sense with that character, and his character exceeded those limits. It felt like it was forced in there almost like a rewrite to move the story along.
Of course I will say there were other romantic elements I didn't initially buy, but they did revisit them in clever ways that made you care for the characters even more. I would say that the climax, although genuinely unique and effective, felt rushed, and I didn't get the full impact that I think the filmmakers were hoping would hit me.
But overall, I thought this was a well-made, touching story that did rather well to tie the war going on around the characters with the human emotions they still feel as far as love and passion are concerned.
I would say that Their Finest gets a 7.4 and that it is Enjoyable.
June 15, 2017
Excellent, just a great film in every aspect: fantastic cast, great bit of history, interesting story. Gemma Arterton turns out to be a great lead and has great chemistry with Bill Nighy. Instant classic really, very much like the type of movies I loved before blockbusters took over.
June 10, 2017
Their Finest is witty, funny, uplifting, and riveting and offers a tour-de-force performance from Gemma Arterton.
June 8, 2017
Being released the same year as Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' coming in July, it seems a little coincidental similar referenced film is also released. 'Their Finest' is really about 1940's propaganda film making at the height of WWII, where an unlikely ensemble band together to make something incredible. I must say ever since I saw 'Prince of Persia' in 2012 I've always had a huge crush on Gemma Arterton and this film holds no bars as this is an outstanding performance from her as a Welsh screenwriter, while her chemistry and relationships with the other cast members is superbly delightful. It is in itself a piece of social commentary on the world war 2 period, also on past film industry practices. Admirable as it is as a small scale drama, whilst throwing smart pieces of comedy and romance into it's mix as it's one of the most unique and well accomplished pieces of British Cinema I've seen this year alone. I highly recommend this delightfully crowd pleasing underrated British flick that should be on people watch list this year even if you are definitely thinking of seeing Dunkirk in July.
June 7, 2017
Well made and amusing but it utterly failed to make me feel good. Why go to a feel bad comedy.
½ June 7, 2017
Much more subversive than I expected.
June 3, 2017
Hmmm. Interesting but not sure where it was supposed to be going.
June 1, 2017
This is their finest! I loved every moment of it!
May 30, 2017
Great flick, but it's British, so don't expect a Hollywood style film.
½ May 29, 2017
A Lifetime movie with a huge budget. A passable (I suppose) telling of an important tale done in a derivative way.