The Convincer (Thin Ice) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Convincer (Thin Ice) Reviews

April 9, 2015
lost interest after the first half hour. it was painful to watch
DrStrangeblog
½ December 21, 2014
Cunning con that detrimentally does not end when it should, needlessly applying an ending twist of DNA-helixlike proportions that left a sour taste in my mouth. A screenwriter should ask him/herself that if a movie works without a plot twist, then do the alterations improve it? Here the answer is a resounding NO, in fact causing me to deduct a half-star due to the resultant sheer implausibility. With that rant over, the rest of the movie is absorbing and believable with some great performances from Alan Arkin as a slightly addled loner and especially Billy Crudup as an unhinged ex-con prone to violent mood swings.
October 9, 2014
An interesting concept and the makings of what could have been a cool scam. If only it wasn't burdened by an extremely slow story that took way too long to get to its climax. Then, when it did, it only maintained it's interesting edge for about 10 minutes. The scam turned out pretty clever, but it simply too long to get there. My interest was LONG gone. Had it not been for some fantastic actors, I would have had a hard time giving it a single star. A plot like this deserved a lot better.
July 5, 2014
Encore 404 7/5/14
A Kenosha version of Fargo. A little slow start but a really good ending with lots of unexpected twists and turns. A really good scam story.
May 27, 2014
Really funny at times and sometimes a bit over the top, but definitely a good watch. Dark comedy at its weirdest whackiest fun.
May 16, 2014
I am going to have to pass on this one.
½ April 15, 2014
A lot like 'Ice Harvest' meets 'Fargo'--Loads of late twists help this slightly above average fargo-esque flick!!
½ February 4, 2014
Great acting mr Kinnear
January 28, 2014
One of my favorite movie
December 30, 2013
Wisconsin insurance salesman Mickey Prohaska (Greg Kinnear) is in desperate financial straits. His wife JoAnn (Lea Thompson) has thrown him out of the house, and he is willing to do or say practically anything to sell anybody a policy. Mickey accompanies another insurance agent he's just met, Bob Egan, to the farm of an elderly man named Gorvy Hauer (Alan Arkin). The house is a mess and Gorvy is absent-minded, perhaps a tad senile. He doesn't have much money and, the little he has, he seems to keep in a jar. Mickey tries to sell the old man some insurance anyway. Gorvy also has an old violin. A man named Dahl, an appraiser from Chicago who has a shop filled with musical instruments, examines the violin and says it's somewhat rare and actually worth $25,000. Complications arise when Mickey's plan to steal the instrument is discovered by a small-time ex-con named Randy Kinney (Billy Crudup), who not only won't leave Mickey alone, but turns violent, bludgeoning one of Gorvy's neighbors to death. Astonishingly, continued inspection and research on the violin values it at ten times the original estimate. Mickey now is in possession of a million-dollar instrument, but Randy wants his share and threatens to kill Mickey if he doesn't get it. Mickey thinks he can still come out of this all right, until he discovers that he's in way over his head...

By judging from the trailer "Thin Ice" seemed to be a classic Greg Kinnear vehicle with a good mix of dark comedy and drama in the line of "Fargo". But, what we get is a slow paced conmen drama/comedy thatīs not that exciting nor intriguing. The role of Mickey is perfect for Kinnear, then again we have seen him play that sort of role a bit too many times. He has ended up in typecasting land in Hollywood. Arkin is as well playing some sort of similar role we have seen him do before. Crudup is however doing a role we havenīt really seen him do before as the slightly psychotic locksmith Randy. "Thin Ice" has an ending thatīs pretty poor in my point of view and all in all I felt a bit disappointed. Trivia is that the movie initially was entitled "The Convincer", and was screened in January 2011 at the Sundance Film Festival. Distribution rights were purchased by ATO Pictures. Both ATO and production company Werc Werk Works demanded that director/writer Jill Sprecher make sweeping changes to the film from the version shown at Sundance in order to speed the film up. The production company claims that Sprecher "refused to be part of the process" while Sprecher states that she was never allowed to review the distributor's notes to make any comments on them. The production company and distributor made the revisions without Sprecher's input, replacing the original composer, Alex Wurman, and the original editor, Stephen Mirrione. Sprecher is currently not allowed to speak to the press about the situation for legal reasons, but she previously stated she is "heartbroken and devastated" and she would remove her name from the film, but under the terms of her contract she is not allowed to do so. The completely re-cut film was retitled "Thin Ice". Sprecher reportedly learned of the name through the internet and not from the production company.
December 24, 2013
Very enjoyable dark comedy filmed in Mpls/St Paul that has Greg Kinnear as a master of spin insurance agent who hits the jackpot with customer Alan Arkin. Ah, if it were only that easy. Enter off-kilter locksmith Billy Crudup. The characters and the journey make up for the slight plot muddle here and there. Hang on for a nifty ending.
December 22, 2013
This is an enjoyable movie about an elaborate con game. I have to say as I was watching it I was wishing it had been done by someone like the Coen Brothers; I believe the writing could have been significantly better.
November 9, 2013
Wickedly surprising!! Must watch!!
October 28, 2013
Not particularly an interesting nor amusing piece. Billy Crudup is wonderful as always.
Harlequin68
October 21, 2013
At a convention, Mickey Prohaska(Greg Kinnear), an insurance salesman, not only loses his shirt and money, but also his wallet which turns up quickly. All of which only adds to the problems he has been having lately, including with his wife(Lea Thompson). At least, he hires Bob(David Harbour) who seems promising enough and quickly shows that when he signs Gorvy(Alan Arkin) to a policy which might have to be increased when Leonard Dahl(Bob Balban) stops by to value a very valuable violin in Gorvy's possession.

"Thin Ice" is a prime example of filmmakers not being as smart as they think are, nor having any true idea as to the tone they are going after. Therefore, you are left with a very good cast in search of any kind of direction. In any case, Greg Kinnear seems like too nice a guy to play such a heel and even Billy Crudup cannot pick up the slack. In the end, you know are in big trouble if Alan Arkin can make no difference at all.
September 15, 2013
would like to watch the original one.
½ August 8, 2013
Fargo it's not but still an entertaining watch.
½ August 4, 2013
Its really simple to review this film. If you like Fargo you will like this.
July 13, 2013
It starts off slowly, building up to a shocking twist in the middle that seems like it's going to change the course of the entire movie. I guess it does, but not really in a good way. I read that the studio edited a lot out of the director's cut before releasing this film, and unfortunately it shows. What could have been a great Midwestern thriller in the spirit of Fargo ends up feeling so rushed and confused by the end that I simply stopped caring. One twist after another is thrown out in the final act with forced exposition trying to explain everything. It could have worked if they gave the story time, but the movie as is feels too cluttered and confused. There's promise of something good here, but whatever may have been is tainted by an editing job that rushes the experience beyond recognition. The fault of this film I place entirely with whoever did the final cut, as in direction, cinematography, acting, and writing, things show promise. Maybe nothing special, but there is at least promise. However, an ignorant studio has left the product to smudged to tell what it may have been.
½ July 12, 2013
If you like Coen brothers films you'll love this.