Throne of Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Throne of Blood Reviews

October 7, 2016
Akira Kurosawa's hauntingly operatic reinterpretation of carnage, delusion and consuming desire from Shakespeare's Macbeth.
½ June 20, 2016
Brilliant. Kurosawa's take on Macbeth is impressive as it is haunting. May be my favorite take on the story.
June 20, 2016
Is easily appreciated when seen as an interpretation of Shakespeare through the Japanese lens of Noh. Toshiro Mifune full body expression of his moral collapse, stark cinematography, and startling special effects communicate the points of the story where the wooden translation of the dialogue fall short. Spiderweb forest and the encounter with the evil spirit compete with the arrow finale for most gripping moments.
April 15, 2016
Throne of Blood is a cold and ghostly tale of power and mistrust told by an unusually distant Akira Kurosawa.
Despite being lifted from Shakespeare's Macbeth, the narrative screams shaky uncertainty and instability, as Kurosawa guides us through what is essentially a foggy variety show of sporadic moralising, navel-gazing, sword fights and messenger reports. All of the Kurosawa trademarks are here somewhere, they just never jump out at us, or come together in a way that really reels us in.
However, Throne of Blood isn't without its merits or moments of greatness - Toshiro Mifune, for example, is, in a word, mental. The great samurai actor has to be seen to be believed in his most harrowing will-he-or-won't-he-explode-at-any-moment performance of the lot.
½ April 5, 2016
Epic foggy tale of evil spirits circling around the throne of blood.
½ February 25, 2016
Hands down the best Macbeth movie.
½ February 12, 2016
Kurosawa's Macbeth is the best film version of this play (no mean feat since Roman Polanski and Orson Welles also filmed the play), and one of the greatest examples of Shakespeare on film. The transition to a foreign culture in this case renders Shakespeare more accessible than it often is since Kurosawa focuses on the highlights of the plot and dispenses with the poetic, Elizabethan dialogue. His staging is lively and energetic, yet the film is still quietly haunting at times. Nobody who sees this will ever forget Mifune's death scene.
½ December 12, 2015
Kurosawa's prowess has been detailed endlessly throughout the last few decades so any further reiteration of the same sort of praise would be redundant, but it bears repeating that Throne of Blood is a singularly impressive piece of work as there seems to be a slight minority who consider it to be one of his weaker efforts. This couldn't be farther from the truth; the visuals are stunning, constant fog adding a surreal quality to an already haunting landscape, ghostly characters silently slithering around corners and disappearing into dark doorways, magnificently composed battle sequences made up of hundreds of extras, and the simple adaptation of the Shakespeare play distilling the wordy source material into something more intent on cultivating a mood than utilizing wordplay. It's a massive film, simultaneously grand in scope and intimate in its focus on the central couple, a stellar piece of work and a genuinely thrilling experience for fans of this kind of thing.
½ November 3, 2015
Very good movie. Good acting, great plot, great writing, and good cinematography. I very much enjoyed it, but I did not like how some parts were drawn out. The movie proves that women are evil lol
½ September 14, 2015
Shakespeare, now with added samurai. I am not sure that I should have to say much more. Throne of Blood is Akira Kurasawa's vision of Macbeth starring the always remarkable Toshiro Mifune. Rashomon and Seven Samurai are always touted as Kurasawa's best films but leaving Throne of Blood out of that list seems criminal.
September 10, 2015
An epic that plays out like a surreal dream in a delusional person's mind.
September 3, 2015
When you get a film made by Akira Kurosawa you just expect brilliance and usually a nice change of pace from the modern films we see today. Yes Throne of Blood is no exception to that, and this is coming from me who has kind of disliked a Kurosawa film in the past, but this is just great. It's a really engaging movie yet enjoyable as well and that really culminates in the final parts of the picture to make a film not only interesting but actually exciting as well, the slight action involved is great, the remake of Macbeth is done well (although of course some fans of Shakespeare may not be best pleased by this adaption) and the acting is one that really shocks me because it almost feels like acting that would be still be great years and years after this was made.

Of course the main actor and really the man who could even be said to steal the show from even Akira Kurosawa, is Toshiro Mifune who for me is a top actor, and especially when playing a samurai. Of course many will point to "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon" as his finest performances and collaborations with Kurosawa, but for me never forget this one because he is very good indeed, out doing the entire cast and the movie without him would have possibly suffered greatly. I think without Kurosawa's directing you would also be seeing a worse off film because he really brings this to life and the story just bursts from the screen in the early moments and that heavy rain mixed with dense fog and swaying but eerily silent trees make this not only a great plot, but also ascetically incredible.

I must mention of course the rest of the cast including such people as Isuzu Yamada, Minoru Chiaki and Takashi Shimura who join a cast who are relatively good but never good enough to match Mifune. The way in which Kurosawa's direction works is that he seems to just know how to make you focus on the scene, whether that is through a character gone mad, a battle or even the rain etc that I mentioned. When you add everything together it is Kurosawa who then surprises you, and this is in a story where you know how it ends, but it doesn't matter because not only is this set in feudal Japan, but also because Kurosawa makes the story fresh and lively.

I'm not quite sure if this is his very best mostly based on the fact that Kurosawa seems to just make what people consider great movies over and over again. One thing I do want to say though is that if you're really looking for a great feel of a film, the kind of movie where you become entwined in the plot and the atmosphere, this is definitely one to watch of that as it just seems to draw you in at every turn. If your new to Kurosawa then this is a great place to start, it's not only really likeable but also at times just a nice little yarn to watch, and of course to mention this is a great watch for any aspiring director who wants to learn how Akira seems to do it.

I think as movies go this is one I maybe watched with slight apprehension over what to expect but came out very much liking it and it was really good as well. So there you have it, Macbeth set in Japan, a kind of movie where there probably won't be one like it ever again because it's just so different (and Macbeth in samurai set Japan). Wonder at the skills of Kurosawa and Mifune, confuse yourself over who is really the bad person in this, and don't try and look out for Macduff, he's apparently called Noriyasu now.
August 24, 2015
Masterful reworking of Macbeth with a fresh feel to its location transferring to the the feudal far east. It's a very atmospheric production.
August 13, 2015
slow start, memorable scenes later on
½ August 13, 2015
Shakespeare y Kurosawa. What else? O the gusta o fuck you.

Toshiro Mifune, eres increible.
June 18, 2015
Akira Kurosawa cross-pollinates Macbeth with Noh theater for this gripping and powerful film. The story moves the Shakespeare tragedy to feudal Japan, but its minimalist sets, Buddhist motifs, and spartan dialogue make the resulting film into something far different from a mere adaptation. Toshiro Mifune dominates the running time with his ferocious rendition of the Macbeth analogue; Isuzu Yamada is also noteworthy as his manipulative wife. Kurosawa's wipes, rain scenes, and weather-beaten costumes are in full effect, yet his best efforts are exerted towards giving his cast enough room to get to the core of their characters and strut their stuff.
May 13, 2015
I shall taint these woods crimsom
½ January 14, 2015
a lot to look at, but that's all for me with this one, really. one of my least favorite by AK. the story is slow and I guess Shakespeare was enough for me.
January 11, 2015
A wonderful example of Japanese melodrama.