Tigerland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tigerland Reviews

April 1, 2016
My original review was "Don't want to be suckered into another Joel Schumacher film" and make no mistake, I still rate Schumacher right up there with Ed Wood as one of the worst filmmakers ever, but sometimes a great script, cast and photographer can rise above their director and do something amazing. This is that film.
March 27, 2016
This is trash. Horrible acting, cinematography and script. It seems like they had an agenda other than entertainment. Rewriting history and making our military look like juvenile delinquents is not only false, its also a waste of time.
½ December 16, 2015
You're heading to a two-way firing range.

In the 60s and early 70s American troops in their final training before being deployed to Vietnam would be sent to Fort Polk, Louisiana, nicknamed Tiger Land. The training and preparation was legendary for its intensity and rule bending. A troubled lawyer in a military unit challenges their ways and put his and his troop's wellbeing at risk as part of the process.

"Apologize to the man. Say I'm sorry I didn't kill you."

Joel Schumacher, director of Flatliners, A Time to Kill, Falling Down, Phone Booth, Batman Forever, the Client, The Number 23, Trespass, and Man in the Mirror, delivers Tiger Land. The storyline for this picture is interesting and entertaining but not as epic as other films in the genre. The cast delivers okay performances and includes Colin Farrell, Matthew Davis, Clifton Collins, Shea Whigham, and Tom Guiry.

"So you really can kill something when you want to."
"When I want to."

I randomly came across this on HBOGO and decided to give it a shot. This was pretty good and I enjoyed the characters for the most part. I didn't love this picture but felt it was worth watching the story unfold. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this but this isn't a waste of time either.

"Light him up."

Grade: C+
½ October 10, 2015
Only critique I can come up with is that Colin Farrell's real accent sneaks out every now and then. Other then that I thought it was a great move. Even for those that don't like war movies this is worth watching
August 23, 2015
Un sous Full Metal Jacket en gros. Bonne interpretation mais ca ne va pas assez loin pour qu'on y prenne gout.
July 16, 2015
One of the more underrated war movies out there even though it's not all that original.
½ May 28, 2015
Farrell shows he's a force in this gritty well acted war movie from Schumacher....I can't believe it,really Schumacher???
½ May 14, 2015
Togerland is slow paced with little to offer when it comes torogression and plot development. On the other hand it does have a good performance by Colin Farrell and shows the suffering that many of the soldiers went through while at boot camp and Tigerland. It is unique in that it shows resisance to authority in the US military but its not enough to push the film past mediocre.
½ February 1, 2015
good gripping war pic
½ November 13, 2014
October 12, 2014
It's been done better.
½ September 4, 2014
In the pantheon of anti-war, anti-military & pro-humanity films, 'Tigerland' belongs in the second tier, only because of some storytelling choices. It's narrower focus wears thin on the viewer and when repetition rears its ugly head the film's overall power loses intensity. The characters are interesting, but again, the story familiarity is their detriment. Schumacher's visual style brings us in, and Matthew Libatique brings us in even closer with his washed out and grainy shots. When it's dynamic it burns with the right passion and fire, but it does lose strength towards the end. None the less, it's still recommended viewing, just not of the highest priority.
August 17, 2014
the film offers little we haven't seen before.
March 18, 2014
My problem with "tigerland" is it tries to be like the great war movies like "apocalypse now" and "full metal jacket" too much. They tried to make it like those by filling it with language EVEN MORE than the great war movies did. They filled It with anger that you could totally tell was acting. and they tried to make colin farrell seem like matthew modine in "full metal jacket" and charlie sheen in "platoon" when in fact he wasn't in the least bit. if I was Stanley Kubrick (full metal jacket), francis ford coppola (apocalypse now) or oliver stone (platoon) I would sue the director (whoever he is) for trying to rip me off. a 1/5 for me
March 9, 2014
6/10: A surprisingly non-commercial film directed by Joel Schumacher. He uses a hand-held camera throughout which makes it gritty and realistic!
January 14, 2014
A good film, solid cast & nice story.
December 29, 2013
Not your typical Vietnam film, something fresh and not all about Asian prostitutes!
½ November 23, 2013
schumacher won't make a better film
August 19, 2013
One of my favorite war movies. Pulls you in right from the beginning and holds you throughout but at the same time has quite a bit of funny moments. An awesome movie.
½ August 18, 2013
Interesting drama, might be a bit too little in it, but collin farrel is great and so is michael shannon in a small role. Also I'm pretty sure this is where Robert Downy Jnr. got his accent for his Tropic Thunder character from