Timecop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Timecop Reviews

January 6, 2017
I can't believe I never saw this when I was a teenager. Or somehow forgot it if I had. But Jean-Claude Van Damme's actioner Timecop was a ton of fun. Strangely, for a Van Damme flick, it's actually kinda smart. It plays with the idea of time travel and event manipulation very well. It's sort of a kick-ass action version of The Butterfly Effect. And I enjoyed it.
½ September 10, 2016
I wish I could go back in time and tell my past self to skip it.
September 6, 2016
Yes its stupid but even worse is that its boring.
September 5, 2016
Quite fun for what it is: a time travel cop capper with JCVD. Yep, you read that right. I had more fun with the plot than I expected (perhaps I could suspend disbelief better than others).
Steve Grady
May 7, 2016
"Jean-Claude Van Damme" honestly was a horrible decision to have him portray the movie's protagonist "Walker". Set in the year 2004 the plot to "Timecop" is time-travel has just been invented and many people have realized how easily it is to cause the end of the world. Knowing this a company was created for "Law Enforcement" to stop time travelers from causing the end of the world. The movie opens with "Melissa" portrayed by "Mia Sara" awaiting her husband in a shopping mall. The scene isn't the best opening to an Action/Sci-Fi. Throughout the movie the audience gets to experience the antagonist "McComb" portrayed by "Ron Silver" who wants to become president so he time travels to 1994 to tell his younger self how to do this. "Ron Silver" as the antagonist, he gives the audience quite a superb performance as "McComb". The film's climax is entertaining to watch but fails to feel realistic to the audience. As satated previously there could not have possibly been a worse choice than "Jean-Claude Van Damme" to play "Walker". "Mark Isham", "Timecop's" film score composer created thrilling and entertaining music for the scenes that it's in. Another issue with the film is its script; its full of bad dialogue and plot holes. Although the movie does have its moments that at times are humorous. Director of cinematography "Peter Hyams" does a good job filming, but occasionally using close-ups. If you are a person who enjoys 1990's Sci-Fi/Action movies then I recommend you watch "Timecop" as it is filmed well, has a great antagonist and has a splendid film score. Although the movie is not perfect, it has some issues these being bad scrip full of plot holes, unrealistic scenes and a horrible choice for a main character. I give 1994's "Timecop" a 6/10.
½ May 2, 2016
One of JCVD's better films, the action and premise hold up as you try to piece together the lapse of the layered universes.
April 19, 2016
Enjoyable concept.

A Timecop squad is created after an inventor creates the ability to time travel and a Senator has his eyes set on getting money from the past and changing time to get to the presidency.
April 18, 2016
Avec le cote nostalgie, le film s'en sort bien. Un bon JCVD bien maitrise meme s'il y a a redire sur les incoherences concernant le voyage dans le temps
½ February 6, 2016
This is probably Van Damme's best movie. Though that's not saying much. It's the most commercial and doesn't feel cheap like his other movies. It's still cheesy and all that, but it's the 90's and Van Damme. You should expect that.
January 16, 2016
It's a 90s JCVD action film with time travel - you're in for a ridiculous yet oddly entertaining time.
January 13, 2016
Love this movie scene it a hundred times
November 1, 2015
One of his best movies in my opinion
½ October 13, 2015
I have to steal a quote from Richard Harrington of The Washington Post, "For once, Van Damme's accent is easier to understand than the plot."
July 15, 2015
Timecop is probably one of JCVD's best films, and remains a surprisingly well-made gem of '90s action cinema which seems to have been long forgotten over the years. The premise is relatively fresh, focusing on a police officer (Van Damme) who polices time travel in an attempt to stop those who wish to abuse it by going back and changing history for their own profit. This presents some fun scenarios as Van Damme travels back to various time periods and engages in some hand-to-hand combat. The fact that his character has a tragic story of his own helps to drive the film thematically, as he constantly struggles with his own desire to go back and save his wife from her untimely death. The action is raw and brutal, and Van Damme shows off his famous high-kicking techniques at numerous points. Sappy ending and gaping plot holes aside, this is a mindless action flick that is sure to satisfy fans of the genre.
March 20, 2015
"Way More Entertaining Than Just A Mindless Martial Arts Movie"

****

I Personal Think That The Critics Way Underrated This JVCD Movie. It Had All The Things That One Would Want To See & Expect To See In A JVCD Movie With A Plot That Was Way More Entertaining Than Just A Mindless Martial Arts Movie. Analytically Things In The Plot Might Be Considered To Be A Paradox, But That In Itself Added A Bit Of Spice To The Entertainment
(By Mans Understanding It Seems Impossible For It To Exist But It Does)
(None The Less)

~

For A Martial Arts Movie I Give This Film A B+ (Bright) **** Divinity One Of JVCD'S Better Movies.
March 9, 2015
Effects look a little dated, but the premise is interesting.
½ March 4, 2015
In a world where time travel to the past is possible, JCVD plays a cop whose job is to make sure bad guys, like Ron Silver's politician, don't use it for ill gotten gains. Cheesy, but has some fun moments. The Smithereens' great cover of "Time Won't Let Me" plays over the credits.
February 16, 2015
To be honest, this film felt like a lifetime when it is just an hour and forty minutes. The plot isn't moving and I didn't care or feel for any of the characters in this cheesy sci-fi action flick. With that being said, some of the action is good in this film and I did like the time travel aspect. Overall, "Timecop" is a boring sci-fi film that is deservedly overlooked by better sci-fi movies as "The Terminator" and "The Matrix". 3.5/10
½ February 7, 2015
It's an okay film. A tad cheesy in parts, but what do you expect from a JCVD movie.
Not as good as when I first watched it, but then my tastes have changed. The idea of time travel interests me and if it were possible you just know someone would use it for their own gains.
½ February 6, 2015
Directed by Peter Hyams, (Capricorn One (1978), Outland (1981) and The Star Chamber (1983), written by Mark Verheiden (The Mask (1994) and My Name is Bruce (2009)) and produced by Sam Raimi. This was based on the Dark Horse Comic from 1992 created by Verheiden and Mike Richardson. It's a very cheesy action film, but it has a violent streak, even if it's lifted the plot strands from the Terminator films. In 2004, time travel has been invented, and Max Walker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) works as an agent for the Time Enforcement Commission (TEC), where agents go back in time to prevent crimes occurring that could change the future. After preventing former partner Atwood (Jason Schombing) from changing the Wall Street Crash of 1929, Atwood claims he's working for corrupt Senator Aaron McComb (Ron Silver), who is wanting to shut down the TEC. But when Atwood is able to go back to 1994 to change the future in his favour, Walker goes back to put a stop to it, but he also uses it to prevent his wife Melissa (Mia Sara) from a tragic fate. It is a very silly film, and parts of it feel like left-overs from Total Recall (1990), however it could have done with a better script, as the time travelling in this film causes a multitude of plot holes. But, it doesn't seem to matter in the end, it's just a bit of cheesy 90's action/sci-fi hokum, that's all.