Timecop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Timecop Reviews

September 23, 2017
This is one of the Van Damme films I have in my collection, the time aspect might be flawed but it's a lot of fun. The seriousness of the time travel is the interesting part of the film, it feels like an action version of back to the future. Van Damme is a lot better cast here and the film benefits from the strong presence he provides. This is much better than it deserves to be, most of the 90s films were very one dimensional but this is a surprising action film. The lead characters could've adopted some of the time saving aspects, Van Damme could've acknowledged the weird confrontation at the end by telling his wife that he saved her today. Not a classic by any means but a good film that holds up even today. 23-09-2017.
½ September 16, 2017
es muy pendeja, no quieren que nadie use el viaje en el tiempo, pero en vez de destruir la maquina, crean una policía especial... ni me terminé de ver esa pendejada.
½ July 2, 2017
Not good but has it's enjoyable action moments
½ June 25, 2017
So so stupid, and actually pretty boring. Exposition was way too on the nose. Nothing was subtle, the "symbolism" was ridiculous, and the cliches were over the top. THis seemed to take a lot from similar better movies like Total Recall, Terminator, and Back to the Future. The hunour wasn't funny, the action was campy. Watch and make fun of it with some friends.
February 9, 2017
Not bad semi-serious sci-fi film for a Van Damme movie in a popular then time travel theme.
January 25, 2017
One of those sci-fi movies that's more enjoyable the less you analyze it. It's silly and it knows it, and thankfully doesn't try to over-explain anything. There are some great fight scenes, an interesting story, a good villain, and hilarious one-liners. If you're a fan of over-the-top action movies, look no further than Timecop.
January 6, 2017
I can't believe I never saw this when I was a teenager. Or somehow forgot it if I had. But Jean-Claude Van Damme's actioner Timecop was a ton of fun. Strangely, for a Van Damme flick, it's actually kinda smart. It plays with the idea of time travel and event manipulation very well. It's sort of a kick-ass action version of The Butterfly Effect. And I enjoyed it.
½ September 10, 2016
I wish I could go back in time and tell my past self to skip it.
September 6, 2016
Yes its stupid but even worse is that its boring.
September 5, 2016
Quite fun for what it is: a time travel cop capper with JCVD. Yep, you read that right. I had more fun with the plot than I expected (perhaps I could suspend disbelief better than others).
Steve Grady
May 7, 2016
"Jean-Claude Van Damme" honestly was a horrible decision to have him portray the movie's protagonist "Walker". Set in the year 2004 the plot to "Timecop" is time-travel has just been invented and many people have realized how easily it is to cause the end of the world. Knowing this a company was created for "Law Enforcement" to stop time travelers from causing the end of the world. The movie opens with "Melissa" portrayed by "Mia Sara" awaiting her husband in a shopping mall. The scene isn't the best opening to an Action/Sci-Fi. Throughout the movie the audience gets to experience the antagonist "McComb" portrayed by "Ron Silver" who wants to become president so he time travels to 1994 to tell his younger self how to do this. "Ron Silver" as the antagonist, he gives the audience quite a superb performance as "McComb". The film's climax is entertaining to watch but fails to feel realistic to the audience. As satated previously there could not have possibly been a worse choice than "Jean-Claude Van Damme" to play "Walker". "Mark Isham", "Timecop's" film score composer created thrilling and entertaining music for the scenes that it's in. Another issue with the film is its script; its full of bad dialogue and plot holes. Although the movie does have its moments that at times are humorous. Director of cinematography "Peter Hyams" does a good job filming, but occasionally using close-ups. If you are a person who enjoys 1990's Sci-Fi/Action movies then I recommend you watch "Timecop" as it is filmed well, has a great antagonist and has a splendid film score. Although the movie is not perfect, it has some issues these being bad scrip full of plot holes, unrealistic scenes and a horrible choice for a main character. I give 1994's "Timecop" a 6/10.
½ May 2, 2016
One of JCVD's better films, the action and premise hold up as you try to piece together the lapse of the layered universes.
April 19, 2016
Enjoyable concept.

A Timecop squad is created after an inventor creates the ability to time travel and a Senator has his eyes set on getting money from the past and changing time to get to the presidency.
April 18, 2016
Avec le cote nostalgie, le film s'en sort bien. Un bon JCVD bien maitrise meme s'il y a a redire sur les incoherences concernant le voyage dans le temps
½ February 6, 2016
This is probably Van Damme's best movie. Though that's not saying much. It's the most commercial and doesn't feel cheap like his other movies. It's still cheesy and all that, but it's the 90's and Van Damme. You should expect that.
January 16, 2016
It's a 90s JCVD action film with time travel - you're in for a ridiculous yet oddly entertaining time.
January 13, 2016
Love this movie scene it a hundred times
November 1, 2015
One of his best movies in my opinion
½ October 13, 2015
I have to steal a quote from Richard Harrington of The Washington Post, "For once, Van Damme's accent is easier to understand than the plot."
July 15, 2015
Timecop is probably one of JCVD's best films, and remains a surprisingly well-made gem of '90s action cinema which seems to have been long forgotten over the years. The premise is relatively fresh, focusing on a police officer (Van Damme) who polices time travel in an attempt to stop those who wish to abuse it by going back and changing history for their own profit. This presents some fun scenarios as Van Damme travels back to various time periods and engages in some hand-to-hand combat. The fact that his character has a tragic story of his own helps to drive the film thematically, as he constantly struggles with his own desire to go back and save his wife from her untimely death. The action is raw and brutal, and Van Damme shows off his famous high-kicking techniques at numerous points. Sappy ending and gaping plot holes aside, this is a mindless action flick that is sure to satisfy fans of the genre.