TMNT - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

TMNT Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
A decent but forgettable animated take on the turtles we've come to know and love. You'll find little original content but you won't be bored unless you want to be.
August 15, 2017
While it may distract younger viewers for 1 hour and 26 minutes, TNMT is misguided and plotless for teenagers and adults
½ July 21, 2017
TMNT is the best Ninja Turtles sequel to date. It's a loose sequel kind of like Superman Returns. Mainly because you don't necessarily need to watch the original live-action trilogy to understand it. It could use a little more character development and the funny thing is that the monsters who serve as the main villains in this movie plague humanity but are never seen by humanity. That's pretty much going to be subject to nitpicking. But, all in all, this movie is not bad. It just wasn't what those who grew up with the '90s live-action movies came to expect. One thing you can't deny is that it's better than Ninja Turtles III. The animation is stunning and wonderfully realized, especially with the turtles and monsters. Not that the humans look like crap, the non-humans are just more visually appealing, that's all. The action sequences are awesome, thanks to the fewer limitations that the medium this movie is in has to offer. And the voice acting is great. Even though I say that Michelangelo is my favourite turtle, James Arnold Taylor ain't half bad as Leonardo. And when I looked up who voiced Mikey, I was surprised to see that he was voiced by the guy who voiced Ratchet in the first Ratchet & Clank game. I wonder how that must've felt for James. JAT is always a win in my book. Nolan North (you know, Nathan Drake from Uncharted and any official Deadpool non-comic book media but the two live-action movies the Merc with a Mouth appeared in + the leaked CGI test footage?) does a good job of voicing the hot tempered Raphael. The regular actors that are more into live-action are OK, I guess? I don't care about them, I'm just here for Tidus from Final Fantasy X. Despite a buttload of awesomeness and some humorous moments, TMNT still has a few flaws that cause it to fail from living up to the first movie back from 1990. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is still my favourite Ninja Turtles movie, though.
July 9, 2017
Still better than the new movies Michael Bay has crapped out.
June 25, 2017
Exciting, fun, entertaining, and great action
March 30, 2017
very under rated. This movie is very entertaining.
March 6, 2017
Sad how bad these are getting
February 3, 2017
For some time I've had people tell me I should see this film. It's certainly better than the Michael Bay ones but that is so not saying much! I didn't even bother with Out of the Shadows. Anyway about THIS film. It's ok, probably will never watch it again but for what it was it was fine. The problem is this is such a MAJOR miscalculation for how to restart a franchise. This story would be fine for an episode arc of one of the series's but for a first film it's a terrible way to get into this world. But wait it's a sequel to the original live action films except so many things don't add up but yet there are so many repeated lines and objects from the original films. I mean since all the big name actors were playing the side characters why not use the original voice actors from the other films? This movie has quite the identity problem. I get wanting to use someone else besides Shredder for the badguys but the TMNT have such a huge rogues gallery, much of which hadn't been seen in a film at this point so why create these boring monsters and cursed stone samurai? Couldn't really get into it myself but it is a well-made film and I get why some like it. Again I'd rather watch this a million times over before seeing the boring ass reboot.
January 10, 2017
I loved it. Every bit. The action, the story (which, miraculously doesn't involve rescuing April), the Villains and the splendid Voice casting. It's a great TMNT movie.
½ January 7, 2017
While it's a simple and entertaining TMNT animation, its lackluster story and portrayal of the turtles is simply not up to par.

The stars have aligned in an ominous sign, and as a legion of malevolent monsters descends upon New York City to wage war against humanity, the only thing that stands between humankind and certain destruction are four wisecracking turtles with a flair for martial arts and a hearty appetite for pizza. A mortal man whose hunger for profit and power may spell doom for all humanity.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise is one of my favorites. Not because the movies are quality by any means, but because I have a special place in my heart for the turtles. They're some of my favorite characters, despite what we've seen on screen. Here, they're okay, and they replicate the personalities of the turtles we love somewhat, but it's ultimately not the best adaptation.

The animation in this movie was good. There were some things such as the color grading, which I didn't really like. For example, the beginning scene showing the history of the villains was very bland and boring. That's just a small part because overall, the visuals were nice and the animation was solid. It's not the best you'll ever see but it's certainly not the worst.

The voice acting was okay. I certainly prefer the voice actors of the current, live action films, as they often give the character a more distinct personality. Here, they kind of all feel like the same characters, despite some attempts to differentiate them. The voice acting overall was fine and the cast was good.

I didn't like the look of the turtles and it felt like their personalities weren't enhanced with this film. Each turtle is skinny, small, and similar. None of them have differential features that make them stand out. Example, in the new films, Raphael is this massive tank, while Michelangelo is the smaller, undersized goofball. Here, none of them stood out to me.

The narrative wasn't very strong and there was a lack of originality. The plot is interesting enough and it has its entertaining moments, but the dialogue is pretty weak and it feels like the story moves along very quickly.

In the end, I see this being a fun and enjoyable movie for kids. Kids will have a ton of fun with this movie and I understand that. If you want anything deeper I don't think you'll enjoy this film very much. I personally found some entertainment to be had, but it certainly isn't the most quality production.
October 7, 2016
Best TMNT movie ever can't wait for the new TMNT from Michael Bay.The first three not a fan of those but now this one is the BEST YET,It was hilarious fun Just like my favorite
Turtle Michaelangelo.
September 28, 2016
As the first CGI animated TMNT movie this wasn't half bad. I enjoyed how it took a different turn on the storyline, i wasn't to happy with the fact that it was missing out on Shredder but Winter played a very knowledgeable villian with his immortality
July 27, 2016
***
I found it entertaining. Certainly better than the Michael Bay produced monstrosity.
½ June 29, 2016
I had very high hopes that the turtles would be brought back all-barrels blazing. I was extremely dissappointed with this movie. This movie lacked story and the humor that made the turtles awesome in the first film. The CGI is good with great fight scenes but the story is lame like an extended episode of a Saturday morning cartoon. I'm still pissed about it.
½ June 8, 2016
TMNT doesn't offer enough of some of its little powerful moments and good animation, to forgive its massively cliched story and generic plot.
jamrcla
June 3, 2016
Being a big fan of the Cartoons I felt kind of let down with this whole animation movie and the voice cast, The story wasn't great too but it was nice to see them make a comeback but that's about all I could take away from this movie.
½ May 31, 2016
you people are sooo annoying, I loved it! the movie wasnt the best movie on earth but was good enough and I am a hardcore tmnt fan??
½ May 21, 2016
IT was a very good movie, different from the previous one and from the cartoon, but with more complex adult themes.
May 5, 2016
awesome movie absolutely loved it