To Rome with Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Rome with Love Reviews

April 16, 2017
To Rome With Love is a largely frivolous, lightweight collection of vignettes that, while sporadically interesting, and definitely well-cast, don't amount to much.
½ March 27, 2017
I'm astonished by the colors! the colors that are so typical of Rome and of some other towns of the bel paese! Stories are really nice too. Our sweet vulnerability :) I'm in a depressive and sad mood these days, with a sense of purpose in the future but not sureness of myself, very contradicting. But after this movie, life is light and airy and sunny again. Storms are romantic, maybe, why not!
February 21, 2017
Average film but much of it in Italian so unable to understand.
½ February 6, 2017
Doesn't quite gel as it should but still, it's Woody Allen's ode to Rome, a pleasurable watch.
½ November 30, 2016
A bit dragged out with at least one uninteresting plot line but for the most part it is amusing. On Blu-ray.
½ October 18, 2016
I heard Woody Allen was a big fan of Italian director Federico Fellini which inspired him to make this movie that involves a touch of the absurd. It consists of four separate stories that take place in Rome. The first is about a young American tourist who meets an Italian lawyer and they fall in love and decide to get married. Allen plays the father of the bride who discovers that his daughter's future father-in-law has an excellent singing voice but he can only sing while he is showering. Allen then convinces him to sing on stage but only while he is in a shower. The second story is about an ordinary guy who becomes celebrity for no apparent reason. It seems like a commentary on today's society which seems to idolize celebrities even though they haven't done anything special. A swipe at people like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.
The third story is stranger, it involves Alec Baldwin playing a architect vacationing in Rome. He decides to take a walk to where he used to live in Rome when he was younger. This is where it gets weird. It's hard to tell what is real or fantasy. He runs into a young man and his girlfriend. It's hard to tell whether Baldwin is reminiscing about his past or it's the present that he's experiencing. The fourth story is about a young couple who are in Rome for their honeymoon. They get separated and get into all kinds of absurd situations.
Not one of Allen's better movies but fun to watch.
½ August 9, 2016
A minor Woody Allen that is basically a collection of sitcom jokes stretched to the point of repetitious. Besides, even with some good moments, the film disappoints for never using Rome as an organic setting, since these stories could take place anywhere.
½ July 8, 2016
An Italian Seinfeld!? Quirky Comedy, The Locations Create A Lovely Backdrop But The Story Shunted Along Like A Really Weary Work Horse.. Slow & Pathetic.
March 30, 2016
Some funny moments, but with that cast you'll expect a lot more.Entertaining, but not near his best work. like Tom Long said: ''It's minor Woody, but still Woody''
½ March 15, 2016
I was really excited that Ellen Page was going to play Monica, the newest installation of Woody's neurotic/erotic female fantasy, because while she had made her career playing quirky/damaged girls, there's an irresistible quality in her that I find sexy and sensual. Instead, either Woody directed her or she acted as her usual loquacious faux-savant. Styling could have helped. Page needn't have glammed up or channeled Penelope Cruz, but it seems like every aspect of Monica's personality (whether sexy or banal) is spoken of and determined by others, not actually shown on the screen by Page's performance or costuming.

Her friend, Sally, keeps saying she's so attractive, but Alec Baldwin's old-man-guide character keeps criticizing her pretentious art and literary references that I wonder why Jack even falls for her. If characters undercut other characters, there isn't much for the audience to fall for. Woody often has such a way with his actresses - whether lighting them or just getting them to smile more. I never thought much of Alison Pill, but she is radiant in a girl-next-door part just because she smiles and wears white and has more outdoor scenes in natural light.

The rest of the movie is Woody's typical, below average, antic-ridden ensemble comedy.
½ November 19, 2015
The movie is not as bad as people are saying. It was actually pretty good, with the nice view of Rome, and the story kept me interested. Love when they spoke Italian in the movie that made the movie even better, the movie was great for me and it does not dissapoints. So for this being a good solid film by Woody Allen and having such a wonderful cast assemble, I give " To Rome With Love " a B-.
October 16, 2015
De Woody Aleen,fiel a su estilo,esta buena. 7/10
September 25, 2015
The man who can only sing great when he is taking a shower is the best of this medium movie ...all the rest little love story's , neh
½ September 12, 2015
It's obviously not Allen's best work, but To Rome With Love is a enjoyable film thanks to its well-written characters
September 10, 2015
Woody in Rome ! Just as expected, he adapts himself ( and the movie ) to italian chaos and hectic..and nearly destryos the movie with that. while most dialogues are still witty and unmistakebly neurotic, the stories are too unrealistic to be taken serious, and here we come to the movies main problem: There are too many stories that he tries to focus on, and some of those are really far too unbelievable, despite their quirkiness and their humour. The roles are well casted, but a slapstick newlywed couple who cheats on itself and an instant-famous Roberto Benigni may bring many laughs, but keep the movie in general very flat. Woody works best in the more serious scenes and the story around relationship and the different forms of love. And when he centers on One main Story ( Midnight in Paris; Vicky Christina Barcelona; Match Point) Those 4 different stories that dont even interwine and have nothing in common are not saying anything. So it is understandable why critics are not overly fond of this Allen. But is still very funny and lively at times and great fun to watch. it is great to see Woody self back in action again, after so many years
September 8, 2015
I give it two stars if only for the talent and the scenery. The movie is overly long and not that interesting. It has its moments. But by and large the film is dull.
½ August 17, 2015
Not bad but I felt it could use some tweaking. But it's still a wonderful comeback for Woody Allen the actor.
July 27, 2015
We get four different stories taking place in Rome, but only the Woody Allen and Jesse Eisenberg ones strike any interest, and even those are quite conflicted.