To Rome with Love Reviews

• Apr 14, 2019

Woody's only sin is relying too much on caricature. Otherwise, this is funny, charming, and dotted with the bits of wisdom that make Woody's cinema so beautiful.

• Sep 03, 2018

To Rome With Love is another Woody Allen gem. A fresh and funny film, packed with jokes, beautiful long shots, great writing and a wonderful Italian (and Spanish) cast. 10/10 Jerry (Woody Allen): "Don't analyze me, Phyllis, okay? You know, many have tried and all have failed. My brain doesn't fit the usual id-ego-superego model!" Phyllis (Judy Davis): "No, you have the only brain with three ids." Yesterday I watched with my kids To Rome With Love, by the genius Woody Allen, for the 100th time. Such a great movie! Hilarious, amusing, and cool: full of jokes and funny moments. Woody manages (as always) to tell his story with humour, deep, jokes and more. This time he tells 4 stories, all amusing and imaginative. I love that Woody is in the movie, accompanied by the great and beautiful Judy Davis. When they first appear, in the plane, we already get Woody's philosophical humour. He says to Judy: "I can't unclench when there's turbulence. You know, I am an atheist." My favorite character is Leopoldo Pisanello, played brilliantly by the hilarious Roberto Benigni. We laugh every second that he's in the movie. The Italian actors Alessandro Tiberi (Antonio, Milly's husband), Alessandra Mastronardi (Milly), Antonio Albanese (the famous actor Luca Salta), and Riccardo Scamarcio (the hotel burglar) are all hilarious. The legendary Ornella Muti appears 10 seconds in the film. Fabio Armiliato is a very well-known opera tenor singer who plays the role of Giancarlo beautifully and sings amazing (in the shower). Armiliato has had leading roles and sung in the most prestigious opera houses of the world (Metropolitan Opera House of New York, La Scala in Milan, and L'Opéra de Paris). Alec Baldwin is great as always. Jesse Eisenberg plays to the perfection the role of a shy and confused young man. Penélope Cruz is wonderful and beautiful as always. Alison Pill (Hayley)'s performance is very fresh, and Flavio Parenti (who is Michelangelo, Hayley's fiancé) is great in his role as an angry ultra left-wing young man. Monica Nappo plays amazingly Pisanello's humble wife. Since Page and Gerwig opportunistically stabbed Woody right after the world saw Dylan Farrow's crocodile's tears in January 2018 (she's been trying to destroy Woody with her prefabricated story for ages), I can't stand watching them onscreen. Their treason, hypocrisy and opportunism will be always remembered (unlike their acting). Nevertheless, the lines that Woody wrote for them are really good. The cinematography of the film is really beautiful. Cinematographer Darius Khondji (born in Iran but majored in Film at New York University) worked previously with Woody in Anything Else (2003) and Midnight in Paris (2011) and would go on working with Woody in two other films: Magic in the Moonlight (2014) and the masterpiece Irrational Man (2015). Other great works of Khondji include Delicatessen (1991), La cité des enfants perdus (1995), Alien: Resurrection (1997), and Amour (2012). He also worked as a cinematographer in many videos of Madonna. To Rome With Love is rated in IMDB "restricted". I really don't know why. Maybe because Penélope plays a prostitute? Well, as we all know in the States it's OK to watch movies with thousands of bombs, guns, and killers, but love and sex are more dangerous and always restricted. Funny country... To Rome With Love is another Woody Allen gem. A fresh and funny film, packed with jokes, beautiful long shots, great writing and a wonderful cast. 10/10 The worst: that Page and Gerwig contaminate the film (two ungrateful hypocrites who opportunistically stabbed Woody) . The best: all the funny moments, Woody, the great Judy Davis, Roberto Benigni, and the cinematography. We love you, Woody! Antonia Tejeda Barros, Madrid, August 27, 2018

• Jul 02, 2018

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A GREAT RIFF ON LONG ITALIAN SCENIC FILMS. IT WAS CLEVER AND QUIRKY - WOODY DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST.

• Jan 09, 2018

A funny enjoyable mess

A funny enjoyable mess

• Jan 02, 2018

A truly awful film. Even Roberto Benigni and the beautiful city of Rome itself could not save this dreadful film. None of the four vignettes were remotely funny. The silliest of the lot was the opera singer who could only sing in the shower, and while Benigni's story of the man who becomes famous for just being famous was an interesting and relevant concept, it was executed extremely badly. The tale of the young couple in Rome to meet the in-laws was the worst of stories, having no real redeeming features, and very little to say of any real worth. Instead it was full of cliches and stereotypes. My favourite story was the Alec Baldwin one, as it was the only one which had a proper and believable story arc.

• Nov 06, 2017

No belly laughs here, but an intelligent farce with a point.

No belly laughs here, but an intelligent farce with a point.

• Oct 27, 2017

One of Allen's most under rated 21st century films. It's a wonderful story, really. It's quite humorous as well- especially if you're an Allen fan. He basically plays an elderly version of "the Allen character" and it's a blast go watch.

• Jun 25, 2017

An outstanding comedy from Woody Allen, 4 independent love stories that will make you laugh throughout the film. Beautiful landscapes and an appropriate music.

• Jun 02, 2017

Gimmicky and thrown together.

Gimmicky and thrown together.

• Mar 27, 2017

I'm astonished by the colors! the colors that are so typical of Rome and of some other towns of the bel paese! Stories are really nice too. Our sweet vulnerability :) I'm in a depressive and sad mood these days, with a sense of purpose in the future but not sureness of myself, very contradicting. But after this movie, life is light and airy and sunny again. Storms are romantic, maybe, why not!