To Rome with Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Rome with Love Reviews

November 23, 2017
To Rome With Love is a largely frivolous, lightweight collection of vignettes that, while sporadically interesting, and definitely well-cast, doesn't amount to much.
½ November 6, 2017
No belly laughs here, but an intelligent farce with a point.
October 27, 2017
One of Allen's most under rated 21st century films. It's a wonderful story, really. It's quite humorous as well- especially if you're an Allen fan. He basically plays an elderly version of "the Allen character" and it's a blast go watch.
½ June 25, 2017
An outstanding comedy from Woody Allen, 4 independent love stories that will make you laugh throughout the film. Beautiful landscapes and an appropriate music.
June 18, 2017
Pretensioso! O velho Woody misturou tanto que a dupla face humor com romance ficou estranha, não que seus filmes não o sejam, mas nesse caso passou da conta e desperdiçou um elenco de primeira linha.
½ June 2, 2017
Gimmicky and thrown together.
½ March 27, 2017
I'm astonished by the colors! the colors that are so typical of Rome and of some other towns of the bel paese! Stories are really nice too. Our sweet vulnerability :) I'm in a depressive and sad mood these days, with a sense of purpose in the future but not sureness of myself, very contradicting. But after this movie, life is light and airy and sunny again. Storms are romantic, maybe, why not!
February 21, 2017
Average film but much of it in Italian so unable to understand.
½ February 6, 2017
Doesn't quite gel as it should but still, it's Woody Allen's ode to Rome, a pleasurable watch.
½ November 30, 2016
A bit dragged out with at least one uninteresting plot line but for the most part it is amusing. On Blu-ray.
½ October 18, 2016
I heard Woody Allen was a big fan of Italian director Federico Fellini which inspired him to make this movie that involves a touch of the absurd. It consists of four separate stories that take place in Rome. The first is about a young American tourist who meets an Italian lawyer and they fall in love and decide to get married. Allen plays the father of the bride who discovers that his daughter's future father-in-law has an excellent singing voice but he can only sing while he is showering. Allen then convinces him to sing on stage but only while he is in a shower. The second story is about an ordinary guy who becomes celebrity for no apparent reason. It seems like a commentary on today's society which seems to idolize celebrities even though they haven't done anything special. A swipe at people like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.
The third story is stranger, it involves Alec Baldwin playing a architect vacationing in Rome. He decides to take a walk to where he used to live in Rome when he was younger. This is where it gets weird. It's hard to tell what is real or fantasy. He runs into a young man and his girlfriend. It's hard to tell whether Baldwin is reminiscing about his past or it's the present that he's experiencing. The fourth story is about a young couple who are in Rome for their honeymoon. They get separated and get into all kinds of absurd situations.
Not one of Allen's better movies but fun to watch.
½ August 9, 2016
A minor Woody Allen that is basically a collection of sitcom jokes stretched to the point of repetitious. Besides, even with some good moments, the film disappoints for never using Rome as an organic setting, since these stories could take place anywhere.
½ July 8, 2016
An Italian Seinfeld!? Quirky Comedy, The Locations Create A Lovely Backdrop But The Story Shunted Along Like A Really Weary Work Horse.. Slow & Pathetic.
March 30, 2016
Some funny moments, but with that cast you'll expect a lot more.Entertaining, but not near his best work. like Tom Long said: ''It's minor Woody, but still Woody''
½ March 15, 2016
I was really excited that Ellen Page was going to play Monica, the newest installation of Woody's neurotic/erotic female fantasy, because while she had made her career playing quirky/damaged girls, there's an irresistible quality in her that I find sexy and sensual. Instead, either Woody directed her or she acted as her usual loquacious faux-savant. Styling could have helped. Page needn't have glammed up or channeled Penelope Cruz, but it seems like every aspect of Monica's personality (whether sexy or banal) is spoken of and determined by others, not actually shown on the screen by Page's performance or costuming.

Her friend, Sally, keeps saying she's so attractive, but Alec Baldwin's old-man-guide character keeps criticizing her pretentious art and literary references that I wonder why Jack even falls for her. If characters undercut other characters, there isn't much for the audience to fall for. Woody often has such a way with his actresses - whether lighting them or just getting them to smile more. I never thought much of Alison Pill, but she is radiant in a girl-next-door part just because she smiles and wears white and has more outdoor scenes in natural light.

The rest of the movie is Woody's typical, below average, antic-ridden ensemble comedy.
½ November 19, 2015
The movie is not as bad as people are saying. It was actually pretty good, with the nice view of Rome, and the story kept me interested. Love when they spoke Italian in the movie that made the movie even better, the movie was great for me and it does not dissapoints. So for this being a good solid film by Woody Allen and having such a wonderful cast assemble, I give " To Rome With Love " a B-.
October 16, 2015
De Woody Aleen,fiel a su estilo,esta buena. 7/10
September 25, 2015
The man who can only sing great when he is taking a shower is the best of this medium movie ...all the rest little love story's , neh