Tropic Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropic Thunder Reviews

June 20, 2017
Funny, smart, and kind of creative!
June 17, 2017
The cast is stacked with awesome, but I'm still not a fan because the story is just not interesting. No doubts there are some funny moments (and Ben Stiller is never involved in them) but not enough to really make me like this money. The small parts by Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey are money.
½ June 16, 2017
This satire on Hollywood can actually be a guiding light to the creators of Disaster Movie on how to make a spoof without taking exact ideas and characters from different movies and passing it on as your own. Downey and Cruise offer the best moments of the 21st century in this raunchy comedy.
½ June 13, 2017
While being very silly, this film pulls off some great offensive humour that is entertaining largely due to its absurdity and the star-studded cast that is behind it. Did not get a lot of re-watch value out of it, but still has some memorable moments.
June 9, 2017
LOOOLL !!! Tropic Thunder pushes more buttons than most comedies dare !!! HILARIOUS ! The whole cast was amazing but Robert Downey Jr. gave an unforgettable performance ! A must see
½ June 4, 2017
Amazing. So hilarious. Weird, but hilarious. That scene with the little kid stabbing Ben Stiller did it for me.
June 4, 2017
Laughing my ass off.
May 30, 2017
Great film. Really funny and well directed by Ben stiller.
May 29, 2017
I do not get the hype.
½ May 27, 2017
It's not that great but it is original and is funny mocking the modern film industry.
½ May 19, 2017
Has Hollywood really run out of ideas? Because Ben Stiller brings us a hilariously original satire of Hollywood. Basically, it?s Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back set to the backdrop of filming a war film based on an in-movie book. They waste no time establishing the characters through fake ads for their products and films before getting to the movie. We open with the aforementioned fake ads before the logo of the studio behind this film, which feels jarring, but is oddly unique, and the pacing stabilizes sooner rather than later. We then get right to the shooting of the war movie that ends with a botched scene and falling a month behind schedule in five days. We meet our cast here: Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller), Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.), Alpha Chino (Brandon T. Jackson), and Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black), none of whom can really do what director Damien Cockburn (Steve Coogan) asks of them, resulting in a new type of filmmaking: planting cameras in the jungle, and making the actors do their thing by creating a more realistic environment. What follows after the director is blown up by a landmine is a rip roaringly hilarious tale of Hollywood actors getting a more real taste of war than dressing up and playing soldier in front of a camera could ever get them. Each member of the group has their moment, especially one between Alpha Chino and Kirk Lazarus that addresses the blackface controversy by having Alpha say what?s on a lot of viewers? minds. To be clear, RDJ is not trying to play a black guy: he is playing a white guy cast as a black guy who surgically alters his skin to accommodate the role. He doesn?t wear blackface to mock the race, but to mock the use of blackface in movies, because fun fact: early films with black characters sometimes had white actors do just that, such as in Birth of a Nation from 1915. There?s a whole lot of stuff that shouldn?t make sense in this movie, but this is an over-the-top world, so just roll with the laughs. They aren?t trying to force this believable world on us, just doing what the story asks to make fun of Hollywood and have a good laugh at it. My only complaint would be some cheap effects, and not ones that were part of the movie shoot within the movie. I think they were supposed to be that way, but I feel like they forced too much out of that. Otherwise, everything else goes down for a reason, keeping this film from being a sequence of incoherent babble and laughter. Another great way they keep the audience engaged is through Theodore Shapiro?s soundtrack, which captures the wild nature of the big action sequences with electric guitar tunes I just can?t help but laugh at with the scenes they?re paired with. Tropic Thunder brings the laughs in every darn way possible, with sailor language and dirty jokes throughout. They have fun while making fun at the same time.
May 15, 2017
Freaking hilarious spoofs of actors and movies and tom cruise is amazing in this!!
May 9, 2017
Probably my favorite Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr movie. The
May 7, 2017
I thought it was sporadically funny, but some stuff, like the "never go full retard" bit, seemed sort of forced, and the "Simple Jack" thing was really stupid. Many characters, including Jack Black's, felt underdeveloped. It played like a really long skit.
May 5, 2017
One of my favorite movies
½ May 3, 2017
Fine, but rewatching it years later, it hasn't quite aged well, and neither has Stiller's career. You can just see him very slowly start tumbling from here.
April 25, 2017
This is a real guilty pleasure. The only other action comedies that meet these heights are Shane Black's kiss kiss bang bang and the nice guys. The movie is stupid, but that's what makes it succeed. I don't think I've laughed this hard and constantly since I watched Shane Black's films. The cast also makes it work, including Tom cruise's most daring performance since eyes wide shut. You won't recognize him though, so I'll just say he plays Les Grossman. This is definitely a must see movie, even if you don't like the cast. The only jack black movie I truly enjoyed was school of rock, but he's fantastic in this. Don't miss it!
April 14, 2017
Aside from one often-quoted line, this movie is a new low for Ben Stiller and Jack Black, who both have a horrible track record with movies and roles.
April 12, 2017
Great hilarious fun pop corn flick starring Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. I had a blast with this movie, I like the atmosphere of that it feels like actors playing actors and the fourth wall break is just plain awesome. Ben stiller does a fantastic job and I was surprised that he directed this movie. This movie just had everything for a comedy, amazing actors and just a lot of heart and this movie executes all of it. Fun movie to watch if you want to watch a good comedy.
April 11, 2017
Saw this when it released... it was funny as heck. Satirical, sarcastic & right of the face Hollywood