Tropic Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropic Thunder Reviews

September 19, 2017
One of the best comedy done by Ben Stiller. Top performance of comedy by Robert Downey jr. Unforgottable moment. One of the top modern day satirical comedy movie
September 9, 2017
Tropic thunder is an amazing weird and dark comedy with a crazy and spectacular performance by Robert Downey Jr playing a black soldier giving him an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor! The rest of the cast is really funny and Jack Black is hilarious. Parts of the movie including the beginning were a little weird but most of it's good. Actors forced to become real life soldiers is really funny and is a great comedy!
½ August 31, 2017
Modern comedies are almost always a disaster for me. First of all, because they often rely on being gross or inappropriate, somehow thinking that always equates to laughs. Then the other problem I have is that so many of these modern comedies skip good writing, and simply hire a bunch of funny actors to improvise, expecting gold to come out of their minds on the spot. As a result, I don?t usually go out of my way to see anything labelled a comedy, and if I do I?m almost always disappointed. Now I had heard good things about Tropic Thunder, but always assumed it wasn?t my type of humor and just avoided it. However, when it showed up streaming on Netflix, I figured it couldn?t hurt to give it a shot since I?m already paying for that service.

Tropic Thunder is easily the most I have laughed at a film all year, maybe in a few years. From the first minute where they set up the characters by simply showing fake trailers for their past movies, I was already laughing out loud. Things just got better from there. Easily my favorite part of the film is Robert Downey, Jr. as the most extreme method actor of all time. There was so much comedy gold in that one role, and he was surrounded by a bunch of other great character actors as well. Ben Stiller might actually be the weakest of all the main cast, but I still enjoyed what he did here. So I?m having a great time with all this insane humor that is happening in the jungle, and then they cut back to Hollywood to see Matthew McConaughey and Tom Cruise who might be even funnier! That?s when I thought Tropic Thunder might just be the perfect comedy for me right now.

The story is some strange mix of Three Amigos and Platoon, and that was a brilliant idea. In fact, the strong premise is a big part of why the comedy works. The reality is a bit heightened, but there is a logic to the way things happen. It?s a wonderful script that would work without the jokes, which is the kind of foundation you need in order to build any good film. I could see where things were headed at the end because they made logical choices when creating the plot, but then they used some of the jokes to put a twist on what I expected, which made it even better. I was so impressed with how I went from my reluctance to see this movie all the way to wanting to own it as soon as possible. I highly recommend people give Tropic Thunder a chance if you haven?t seen it already.
August 26, 2017
"Tropic Thunder" has a few scenes that just might be some of the funniest moments I've ever seen in a movie. Those few moments alone make this movie well worth watching. It is a bitingly sharp satire and hilariously over the top action comedy. I enjoyed all of the performances in the movie and it consistently kept a smile on my face. I felt in some of the middle sections, the movie wasn't as funny or fast paced as it usually is for most of it, and that is my only real complaint. Nonetheless, I found both the first and final act to be full of laughs and entertaining moments. The strong performances and good writing make it a truly great and smart comedy.
August 14, 2017
Tropical Thunder is a hilarious movie, especially to watch with your friends. The acting and writing are on point for this one!
August 12, 2017
Probably my favorite Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr movie. The
August 3, 2017
How messed up is this movie? Yet it still manages to be brilliant. It's a very unusual comedy and I think the best bit is the first 10 minutes when it actually looks like a real war movie. But there are lots of good bits in this film, although the ending is a bit laboured. Robert Downey Junior and Jack Black are amazing, and Tom Cruise steals the show. Good film
½ July 28, 2017
Very strange movie but pretty damn good. At times I laughed at times I rolled my eyes. Acting was interesting as was the storyline. Not a bad Ben stiller movie. His recent stuff has gone the way of Adam Sandler.
½ July 18, 2017
Robert Downey Jr makes the film.
½ July 16, 2017
Waste of time and money.
July 13, 2017
I get the satire and its a great concept but it never really made me laugh. Still worth a watch if you like this generation of comedy actors but I am not as high on it as others.
July 11, 2017
Robert Downey Jr. steals the show. Funny, creative and entertaining.
July 9, 2017
Method actors, Flaming Dragon
July 9, 2017
The movie has a great storyline. It's very funny, but also eccentric. Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. gave terrific performances.
July 4, 2017
This is one of the most underrated movies ever, this movie is genius and epic at the same time it's also hilariously funny, it will blow your mind!!!!
June 20, 2017
Funny, smart, and kind of creative!
June 17, 2017
The cast is stacked with awesome, but I'm still not a fan because the story is just not interesting. No doubts there are some funny moments (and Ben Stiller is never involved in them) but not enough to really make me like this money. The small parts by Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey are money.
½ June 16, 2017
This satire on Hollywood can actually be a guiding light to the creators of Disaster Movie on how to make a spoof without taking exact ideas and characters from different movies and passing it on as your own. Downey and Cruise offer the best moments of the 21st century in this raunchy comedy.
½ June 13, 2017
While being very silly, this film pulls off some great offensive humour that is entertaining largely due to its absurdity and the star-studded cast that is behind it. Did not get a lot of re-watch value out of it, but still has some memorable moments.