Tropic Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropic Thunder Reviews

½ July 18, 2017
Robert Downey Jr makes the film.
½ July 16, 2017
Waste of time and money.
July 13, 2017
I get the satire and its a great concept but it never really made me laugh. Still worth a watch if you like this generation of comedy actors but I am not as high on it as others.
July 11, 2017
Robert Downey Jr. steals the show. Funny, creative and entertaining.
July 9, 2017
Method actors, Flaming Dragon
July 9, 2017
The movie has a great storyline. It's very funny, but also eccentric. Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. gave terrific performances.
July 4, 2017
This is one of the most underrated movies ever, this movie is genius and epic at the same time it's also hilariously funny, it will blow your mind!!!!
June 20, 2017
Funny, smart, and kind of creative!
June 17, 2017
The cast is stacked with awesome, but I'm still not a fan because the story is just not interesting. No doubts there are some funny moments (and Ben Stiller is never involved in them) but not enough to really make me like this money. The small parts by Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey are money.
½ June 16, 2017
This satire on Hollywood can actually be a guiding light to the creators of Disaster Movie on how to make a spoof without taking exact ideas and characters from different movies and passing it on as your own. Downey and Cruise offer the best moments of the 21st century in this raunchy comedy.
½ June 13, 2017
While being very silly, this film pulls off some great offensive humour that is entertaining largely due to its absurdity and the star-studded cast that is behind it. Did not get a lot of re-watch value out of it, but still has some memorable moments.
June 9, 2017
LOOOLL !!! Tropic Thunder pushes more buttons than most comedies dare !!! HILARIOUS ! The whole cast was amazing but Robert Downey Jr. gave an unforgettable performance ! A must see
½ June 4, 2017
Amazing. So hilarious. Weird, but hilarious. That scene with the little kid stabbing Ben Stiller did it for me.
June 4, 2017
Laughing my ass off.
May 30, 2017
Great film. Really funny and well directed by Ben stiller.
May 29, 2017
I do not get the hype.
½ May 27, 2017
It's not that great but it is original and is funny mocking the modern film industry.
½ May 19, 2017
Has Hollywood really run out of ideas? Because Ben Stiller brings us a hilariously original satire of Hollywood. Basically, it?s Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back set to the backdrop of filming a war film based on an in-movie book. They waste no time establishing the characters through fake ads for their products and films before getting to the movie. We open with the aforementioned fake ads before the logo of the studio behind this film, which feels jarring, but is oddly unique, and the pacing stabilizes sooner rather than later. We then get right to the shooting of the war movie that ends with a botched scene and falling a month behind schedule in five days. We meet our cast here: Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller), Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.), Alpha Chino (Brandon T. Jackson), and Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black), none of whom can really do what director Damien Cockburn (Steve Coogan) asks of them, resulting in a new type of filmmaking: planting cameras in the jungle, and making the actors do their thing by creating a more realistic environment. What follows after the director is blown up by a landmine is a rip roaringly hilarious tale of Hollywood actors getting a more real taste of war than dressing up and playing soldier in front of a camera could ever get them. Each member of the group has their moment, especially one between Alpha Chino and Kirk Lazarus that addresses the blackface controversy by having Alpha say what?s on a lot of viewers? minds. To be clear, RDJ is not trying to play a black guy: he is playing a white guy cast as a black guy who surgically alters his skin to accommodate the role. He doesn?t wear blackface to mock the race, but to mock the use of blackface in movies, because fun fact: early films with black characters sometimes had white actors do just that, such as in Birth of a Nation from 1915. There?s a whole lot of stuff that shouldn?t make sense in this movie, but this is an over-the-top world, so just roll with the laughs. They aren?t trying to force this believable world on us, just doing what the story asks to make fun of Hollywood and have a good laugh at it. My only complaint would be some cheap effects, and not ones that were part of the movie shoot within the movie. I think they were supposed to be that way, but I feel like they forced too much out of that. Otherwise, everything else goes down for a reason, keeping this film from being a sequence of incoherent babble and laughter. Another great way they keep the audience engaged is through Theodore Shapiro?s soundtrack, which captures the wild nature of the big action sequences with electric guitar tunes I just can?t help but laugh at with the scenes they?re paired with. Tropic Thunder brings the laughs in every darn way possible, with sailor language and dirty jokes throughout. They have fun while making fun at the same time.
May 15, 2017
Freaking hilarious spoofs of actors and movies and tom cruise is amazing in this!!
May 9, 2017