Tulip Fever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tulip Fever Reviews

February 2, 2018
This is by far the worst movie of 2017. Not only is the story and the time. It is set really obscure and silly, but it just fails on so many levels. The acting is the only positive thing I can point to but even that is a stretch.
½ February 2, 2018
Entretiene, no aburre para nada, es increíble el grado de "perra" que es esta mujer, ya no solo con el marido, sino hasta con el otro. Siempre ver waltz hace buena una película.
January 26, 2018
Maybe I'm simple but I really liked this movie and don't know why it got such bad reviews!
½ January 18, 2018
It was so slow. I only watched about 45 minutes. I didn't care about any of the characters so I abandoned the whole thing.
½ January 17, 2018
It's not a perfect movie, but it's a good movie about passion, lust, and consequences. I really enjoyed the plot, we keep expecting her husband to be a villainous character, in fact, we hope it so we can justify their "love", but in reality, he was just a man who wasn't perfect but tried to do his best and didn't deserve what was done to him. When the two young characters fall in lust we think it's so sudden, I thought perhaps the plot was moving too fast, but it wasn't until the end that I realized (along with Sophia) it was all moved by passion and lust, a result of living a boring life made worst by constantly failed expectations. I love that it's all set against the fever of the speculation market; it makes a chilling contrast to the story. The cinematography makes it looks like everything is a beautiful painting; some of the scene framings are simply gorgeous. Also loved the beautiful job the costume department did, Sophia's outfits were all on point. Alicia Vikander is perfect as usual, especially touching in the final scenes.
January 6, 2018
In my chaotic and subjective mind, this movie tells a heartbreaking yet beautiful story about love. How a person's mind is so easily blinded by desire, prisoned in its own reality where logic doesn't matter.
December 30, 2017
Tulip Fever tells the story of an orphan girl named Sophia who is plucked from a Dutch orphanage to become the wife/concubine of a rich trader named Cornelis Sandvoort (Christoph Waltz). Sophia's life is a relatively dull routine but nothing she really notices as, aside from the orphanage, it's all she's ever known. Sophia's worldview changes when the outside world comes crashing into her secluded domesticity in the form of a lusty painter named Jan Van Loos (Dane Dehaan) who awakens the kind of desire within Sophia that her arranged marriage could never possibly create.

Not a bad story? So why is Tulip Fever such silly nonsense? https://geeks.media/movie-review-tulip-fever?_ga=2.155099512.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710
½ December 28, 2017
The critics really tore this apart, but all in all it was not that bad.
December 23, 2017
WHY all these bad reviews!! We really liked this movie!!
December 11, 2017
Atmospheric 17th century Amsterdam, art, garden history, virus affected tulips, romance and turns out well for everyone. made us think, yes must go back to Amsterdam soon.
½ December 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this period piece. If a movie has historical significance and after seeing the movie I want to know more, for me that is a plus tomatometer. I don't find the critics 10% an accurate rating. Watch it and acquaint yourself with this interesting period.
Alicia and Christoph's performances were great and very credible.
½ December 1, 2017
This could have been great, but it fell flat. In the end, it was silly, pointless and melodramatic.
November 27, 2017
I can't understand the low score on this movie, it is GREAT! Edge of your seat suspense and mesmerizing beautiful characters!
November 26, 2017
Tulip fever is one of those films where you just gotta rub one out the whole time. 107 minutes of stroking my long black cock really made me appreciate the pretty white gurl that was banging Hans Landa
½ November 26, 2017
A silly costume drama that might have something socially critical to say underneath all the distracting hats and oversized neck ruffles, but I doubt it.
½ November 23, 2017
A kind of boring, confusing movie. Vikander is great as usual and lights up the screen.
November 22, 2017
Tulip Fever was a very disappointing film. It had no plot line. It was a boring The actors performance were very lifeless & without a heart beat. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. Pretty much a waste of your time. Overall the movie wasn't well made at all
November 22, 2017
Pretty locations and costumes, confusing plotline, mediocre acting, not credible at all. Dench was wonderful as always, De Haan struggled a lot & missed some notes, Vikander - pretty limited in range, she always does the same grimaces, tortures her neck, disaster-is-about-to-happen face. She may have gotten an Oscar (deservedness is pretty much debatable) but we can clearly see she's a one note actress. If you have nothing better to do you might try watching...
½ November 20, 2017
Alicia Vikander and Christoph Waltz need I say more?
In this stunning historic piece we're treated to a wonderful showcase of acting, while the story in general was effective the acting took it to a whole other level, The sheer emotions that Vikander displays is a sight to behold and to have Waltz's endless charm and suave is just a cherry on top, having cleared that out the way and frankly out of my chest, Tulip Fever is the victim of its own beauty due to the flimsy plot, this is common when stellar novels are shrunk down to mere pages for the purpose of film making, while it can be done successfully but I'm afraid that's not the case with this film, in the end, Tulip Fever thrives on the acting of its superb cast and sadly nothing more.
½ November 16, 2017
We are witnessing the death knells of the Weinstein Company, and in its darkest hour emerges whatever the hell Tulip Fever is. Mired in production hell for over a decade and delayed release for three years after filming, the film amounts to a laughable period piece with an epic lack of focus. It does for historical fiction what The Space Between Us did for YA sci-fi. For all its presumptive wit, the laughter comes more from the fact that so much talent went into making such an obliviously crappy film. Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz, and Alicia Vikander all put in a valiant effort towards retaining their dignity, but even they couldn't act themselves out of this cinematic quicksand. They aren't really given characters to work with, and I think you can even see the dissatisfaction they have for their parts in certain scenes. For some reason Dane Dehaan and Cara Delevigne are given some of the top billing despite the fact they get a relatively small amount screen time. Perhaps Weinstein and co. were hedging their bets that Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets would propel that not-so-dynamic duo on to the A list, and when that didn't work out they cut a bunch of their scenes. Regardless of the people involved, the story seems like it's trying to do too much while doing nothing at all. Most synopses you will find refer to a secret love affair between Dehaan and Vikander while they try to sell tulips or something. That is a gross misrepresentation of the "plot", if you can call it that. Even after seeing some of the most dense and surreal Bergman, Malle, and Wenders films, I had at least a tenuous grasp on what those films were doing. Upon viewing this confusingly edited and poorly told story, I am truly baffled over what the filmmakers were trying to accomplish here. Perhaps I'm giving it too much credit, but I shudder to think that someone went through all of this trouble to make a movie that simplistically whimpers "babies are good, and flowers are pretty".