The Tuxedo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tuxedo Reviews

June 26, 2016
Tuxedo is one of Jackie chan worse films he has done. Not funny, surrounded with lame special effects, a awkward script. It just didn't do anything at the end. Its a shame that someone, so talented as Jackie Chan, was put to waste in this film.
May 2, 2016
Cash grab, nothing more, nothing less.
January 5, 2016
Not my cup of tea movie .. Didn't watch by choice ... A couple funny spots ...
½ January 1, 2016
Review:
This is a big budget action/comedy movie with Jackie Chan playing a New York cab driver, Jimmy Tong, who gets an offer that he can't refuse! He's known for getting his clients to there destination with speed, so when a New York high flyer, Steena (Debi Mazar), jumps into his cab, she offers him double the fee if Jimmy can get her to her destination by the time she has finished putting on her make-up. After being thoroughly impressed with his driving, she offers him a job to be a chauffeur for millionaire, Clark Devin (Jason Isaacs), but he has to follow the many rules that Steena has given him. He soon builds a relationship with Clark but there car is targeted by henchmen, who want Clark dead. Jimmy tries his utmost to escape from a remote controlled car, which has a bomb attached to it but Clark gets severely injured in the explosion and ends up hospitalised. Clark gives Jimmy clues about who attempted to murder him but as he is unable to talk properly, Jimmy puts together the clues to try and find the murderer. When he gets back to his house, he goes through his possessions to try and piece the mystery together and he comes across a special Tuxedo, which is controlled by a wrist watch and can give the owner special powers. He then gets a call from a undercover, inexperienced field agent Del Blaine (Jennifer Love Hewitt), who wants to meet up with Clark to talk about a special mission. As she hasn't met Clark before, Jimmy poses as Clark in the special powered Tuxedo to try and take-down an international terrorist, Dietrich Banning (Ritchie Coster), who plans to take over the world by putting chemicals in water. He then finds out that it was Dietrich who attempted to kill his boss so Jimmy has personal reasons to destroy Dietrich. After going undercover and worming there way into his operation, there cover is blown and they have to fight against Dietrich, who also gets his hands on a powerful Tuxedo. The action wasn't that great and the jokes aren't that funny. Chan makes a bit of a fool of himself by dancing, singing and making the Tuxedo take over his body and I wasn't that impressed with Jennifer Love Hewitt, who also wouldn't stop whining throughout the movie. On the plus side, you can tell that there was a big budget because it does look quite good and the concept was half decent but the comedy did get on my nerves after a while and it became more silly than funny. I did like Jason Isaacs, who would make a brilliant Bond and I found Ritchie Costner a convincing villain but the overall movie could do with a rewrite with some decent actors playing the leads. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Kevin Donovan, who has only directed 4 shorts behind the camera. He was lucky to get the chance to work with Jackie Chan, with such a big budget but he failed to make a unique film that will stand the test of time. This movie did make its money back at the box office so it wasn't a total failure but I personally think that people were starting to get a bit fed up with Chan's style of comedy and they just wanted to see the action scenes more than the jokes. His brief Western encounter did bring out some decent movies, like the Rush Hour franchise but I much prefer his earlier, authentic movies which had some unbelievable stunts and epic action scenes.

Budget: $60million
Worldwide Gross: $105million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/sci-fi/martial arts/comedies starring Jackie Chan, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jason Isaacs, Debi Mazar, Ritchie Coster, Peter Stormare and Romany Malco. 3/10
October 16, 2015
The Film Was So Good In My Opinion Had Clever But I Would Rather It Not Start With A Pissing Deer
October 12, 2015
"The Tuxedo" is Jackie Chan's funniest action comedy. It has everything that you would expect from a Jackie Chan action comedy.
August 24, 2015
i thought this was a pretty good jackie chan jennifer love hewitt movie
March 31, 2015
This movie was great! Hewitt & Chan were A1!
February 19, 2015
Ordinary guy puts on a special tuxedo and becomes an invincible spy in this slapstick action comedy.
January 29, 2015
There are some above average action scenes but nothing here really shines. Full review later.
November 13, 2014
if it has jackie chan it must be good
September 24, 2014
It has the lovable charm many Jackie Chan Movies have and it does have a James Bond spoof feel to most of the movie, but it's quite forgettable and not that good.
½ July 21, 2014
Only movie I've actually walked out on.
½ June 12, 2014
it's actually pretty fun :D
½ April 18, 2014
Just another brainless and uninspired action movie. (First and only full viewing - Late teen years)
April 10, 2014
Una pelicula de Jackie Chan promedio. Ni buena ni mala.
April 9, 2014
Decent movie. Kinda funny, fairly good action, not the best plot, with an ok performance from Chan.
April 2, 2014
One of Jackie Chan's worst films. I like Jackie Chan and it is always enjoyable to watch him fight bad guys, but here he is under a crappy script, terrible jokes, and bad directing. You can tell throughout that this is just a cash grab that barely has anything going for it at all. Jennifer Love Hewitt is nice to look at, but that doesn't hide the fact that she is a bad actress who has no charisma on screen and that her character here was extremely annoying. Everything from the story and plot and the way things conclude is predictable and unoriginal and clearly just borrows from other films. The one star I give this is for some mildly entertaining fight scenes. This film would have been a total piece of garbage if Jackie Chan was not in it.
½ March 13, 2014
This was not a bad movie at all. But perhaps I should rematch it before stating that, since that opinion is based on when I saw it in my mid teens.
½ March 11, 2014
(42%)
Chan cannot save this poor idea for a movie that if anything squanders his talent with silly effects that could have been used on anyone, with or without any ability, so what is the point? It is entertaining in a perfectly harmless, goofy sort of way and Jennifer Love Hewitt is painfully pretty as she at least tries to improve the movie with her decent commitment, but it is all in vain as this inspector gadget meets James Bond flick is just too poorly thought out from the very start to be any good.