UHF - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

UHF Reviews

December 3, 2016
A movie for those who have a slapsticky, random, spoofy, over-the-top sense of humor.
November 19, 2016
There's a lot of cheese and cliches and misses, but it was actually a charming and funny parody complete with amusing gags and jokes. Went on a little long, and started getting dry half way through though. Enjoyable.
September 29, 2016
I think it's impossible for me to review this movie without being incredibly biased. I have been a "Weird Al" fan for over half my life. And ever since I watched this movie it's been one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time. If you're a "Weird Al" fan you're obviously going to like this movie. If you're a fan of his music then you'll also be delighted to find a few songs that he wrote for the movie and even an animated music video spoofing Dire Straights' Money for Nothing. If not, then I guess it's really more left to how well the movie holds up. Since I am so crazy about Al I am going to talk about the performance of the other actors in the movie first.

It's about a man named George Newman (Al Yankovic) who can't seem to keep a job and when his uncle Harvey wins a failing TV station in a poker game he gives George the opportunity to manage the station for him. It turns out that George is made for this and grows the station to the point of getting the attention of the biggest station in town who want to take him down.

Michael Richards will always be Cosmo Kramer to me but this role is definitely the second thing I think of when I think of him. His performance as Stanley Spadowski is just hilarious. The lovable janitor who becomes the saving grace of the U-62 station is such an enjoyable and well written character. The way Richards interacts with the rest of the cast is just fun to watch. Fun fact: Richards wore a set of fake teeth for the chraracter and was disappointed when he lost them for a scene because they kind of made the character.

Fran Dresher as Pamela Finkelstein was.....it was Fran Dresher. That's what I can say about it. Her voice can be annoying and her acting can be a tad phoned in but I'd say in this movie she made it work. She obviously had a connection with the cast and that made her negatives seem less obvious. She was the U-62 anchorwoman and I can honestly say that if her character weren't in the movie it wouldn't change the plot any. But the show would definitely be short a character. There would really be something missing.

David Bowe plays Bob, George's best friend and roommate. His chemistry with Al in the movie is just great. Other than that I really can't say much for his acting. He's pretty average. A good and natural actor but just average. I mean it's so average it really doesn't give me much to work with or talk about.

That covers the main supporting characters. Now we come to the antagonist, R.J. Fletcher, played by the great Kevin McCarthy. Can this man play a villain or what? He owns the big bad TV station in town, Channel 8 and is ruthless, even to his own son who also works for the company. His goal in the movie is to take down U-62 and turn the site into a parking lot. He's devious. He's despicable. He has no shame in crushing a competitor with everything he's got. Think of a guy seeing a bug on the ground doing nobody no harm and stomping on it with all his might a hundred times long after the bug is dead and then laughing maniacally afterwards. Now you have McCarthy's performance.

Victoria Jackson played Terri, George's supporting girlfriend. Terri loves George dearly but feels his imagination is getting in the way of his gainful employment. And due to the old "boyfriend/husband standing up the girlfriend/wife because he had better things to do" cliche she dumps him early on in the movie. But spoiler alert! He gets her back at the end. She really doesn't have any jokes or funny lines in the movie but is a jumping off point for a lot of George's jokes.

And now we have Gedde "The Donger" Watanabe who plays Kuni, George's next door neighbor. He is a Karate instructor who runs a dojo next door to George and Bob. His part in the movie could have been so short if not for George using him in U-62's hilarious new game show, Wheel of Fish. Watanabe is great in this part. He's hilarious and had a lot of great lines. He would later use this character again in an episode of The "Weird Al" Show.

The part of the roving camera man, Noodles Macintosh, was played by the late, great Billy Barty who had a short part in the movie but he was still unforgettable.

Anthony Geary played the U-62 chief engineer, Philo. Philo is the bit of mystery added into the movie. Though he is very open about what he does there, you never really know what he's up to. And I feel Geary did this very well.

Now we come to the final actor to talk about. And that is Al Yankovic himself. He plays the main character, George Newman. Yankovic nails his performance in this movie. It's a somewhat complex performance. It's a unique style of comedy with many levels to it. On the surface it appears to be serious acting. But it's the serious acting that makes it funny because of the situations it's thrown into. I have a really hard time describing it but he masters it well. For me, it's also the novelty of seeing my idol on screen in an acting role. Something I don't see nearly often enough. I think he needs to make more movies because even without the rose colored glasses I put on looking at this movie, he still stands up as a great actor and comedian. This is a man I feel can do anything as far as music and Hollywood is concerned.

In closing I don't have a lot to say that I haven't already said. UHF is a wonderful movie and a great comedy. If you haven't already seen it I totally recommend it.
½ September 24, 2016
I realize that this movie is technically pretty flawed. But I just ADORE Weird Al's work. The writing is hilarious to me, the cinematography is still so goofy, the acting is ridiculously over the top, and the soundtrack is really goofy. This whole film is goofy. It's like an anti movie, with basically no structure, arcs, and real value.

And therein lies its true beauty.
½ September 19, 2016
I really hate Kramer's teeth. Like 3 funny moments surrounding the most overused plot. Just dumb fun.
July 14, 2016
I've always been a huge Weird Al fan. How much so? Just to give you a hint, I've seen him in concert three times. So you'd think I'd be all in for a Weird Al movie right? Well I thought so too.
Unfortunately, the plot, what little there is, just meanders around without any rhyme or reason. It exists simply to tell gag jokes. It should go without saying, but jokes with no setup aren't funny or clever. It's why I don't like Family Guy, and it's unfortunately why I don't like this movie either. Sorry Al, let me know when you're on the road again, though. I'll be the first to buy a ticket for the show.
June 28, 2016
Weird Al saves a uhf tv station in this silly attempt to cash in on Weird Al's popularity.
June 25, 2016
Ridiculous, goofy, and as a whole not much to phone home about. But the segments are so much fun.
May 30, 2016
5/29/2016: Pretty much what you would expect from a Weird Al film. It was dumb, yet still funny.
February 13, 2016
Weird Al's only feature film so far is a super fun and frequently dark cult comedy that's completely entertaining. It's a film that couldn't be made in the modern era, and that's the only disappointing thing about it.
½ January 26, 2016
Laugh-out-loud moments set against a very, very standard (and obvious) plot.
January 26, 2016
Each day of my life I have spent NOT watching "UHF" has been a day wasted. If you like Weird Al at all, then you will like "UHF"...if you don't like Weird Al, then excuse me while I weep for your cold, black heart. A sensational celebration of silliness and being odd.
January 10, 2016
So funny and adorable! Love it!
January 10, 2016
Goofy (those 80s special effects) but fun.
January 2, 2016
Anything that's quotable is gonna last, and this movie is endlessly quotable.
November 4, 2015
Weird Al knows how to tell a good joke, but he also knows how to tell a great story. UHF succeeds in both regards. Amazing movie. One of my favorites.
½ September 15, 2015
Under any other circumstances I would give this movie a failing grade, but this is Weird Al so it gets a pass from me(but just barely). It's short, somewhat entertaining even though most of the time the jokes miss their mark. I guess Weird Al figured it'd be better to parody music as opposed to movies.
½ September 2, 2015
Michael Richards MAKES this movie. He's brilliant in it.
½ August 31, 2015
Sooooo many quotable quotes
½ August 10, 2015
STOOOOPID!!!!!!!!! I love this movie, it has everything for a stupid funny movie