Uncle Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Buck Reviews

½ November 11, 2016
Sometimes, a comedy doesn't need to be particularly deep. After all, the main goal of a comedy is to entertain and provide laughs, and John Hughes' Uncle Buck is a complete success in that regard. Hughes' trademark sense of charm is all here, primarily through another good-natured performance from John Candy, working with Hughes for a second time. As the titular character, Candy brings the kind of relatability you expect from him, playing the crazy screwball relative we all have, whether we like to admit it or not. His interactions with the Russell family members are the life force of his character and the movie as a whole. The most interesting, and deep in the Hughesian way, is the strained relationship between Buck and oldest Russell teen, Tia (Jean Louisa Kelly). Her rebellious nature naturally clashes with Buck's own personality, and the two adds an interesting dynamic, albeit a predictable one in terms of character arcs, to an otherwise simplistic film. This certainly isn't Hughes' deepest work, but it's one with enough fluff and charm to make it worthwhile.
November 3, 2016
Comfortable distraction.
September 24, 2016
John Candy is charming as the quirky Uncle Buck.
September 21, 2016
Uncle Buck is a feel-good movie for all ages. Fantastic performances and fantastic ending. A John Hughes classic that brings you joy no matter what your age.
September 5, 2016
Uncle Buck is directed and written by John Hughes, and it stars John Candy, Jean Louisa, Macaulay Culkin, Gaby Hoffmann, and Amy Madigan in a comedy film about their grandfather having a heart attack, their parents have no idea who to call to take care of their kids, and they end up calling their brother-in-law named Buck (John Candy). In terms of films that John Hughes has directed, I almost watched all of them. The only films that I haven't seen yet, are She's Having a Baby, and Carly Sue. With this however, it's the last John Hughes directed film that I watched that I've seen before, and I still enjoyed it. John Candy is terrific as he usually is in films that like Robin Williams, he always tries to be funny in a film, even if it's bad. The kid actors in this like Macaulay Culkin and Gaby Hoffmann are really good and funny for their young age and not in an annoying way. There are some crazy jokes in here, and they get a laugh out of me, and the script by John Hughes still manages to have some of his great work in here, even if it isn't his best here. The only issue besides the not much of a spark script that I had, was that you know where some of the plot elements will go. Luckily it wasn't the main focus here, the film focuses on the characters and the humor, which really work thanks to the charms from the late John Candy.
August 20, 2016
Irresponsible, cigar smoking, gambling black sheep uncle Buck is his brother's last resort to look after his teenage daughter and two younger children. Buck starts out not being liked but by the end he's a stand up guy. This comedy isn't very interesting and is a result of a thin storyline and thin screenplay. The writer's had a good idea but that's about it.
August 12, 2016
Slobbish irresponsible uncle is called upon during an emergency to care for his suburban nieces and nephew. It's another comedy in which nobody likes the uncle but by the end he's proven himself and fixes everyone's problems for a happy ending.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
One of John Candys best, Cery simple plot, All the cast were great, A easy enjoyable movie that's full of heart aswell as laughs.
July 5, 2016
It's cute and entertaining in the beginning but got boring from the middle. However, Uncle Buck himself is very devoted and cool!
½ July 4, 2016
uncle buck still makes me laugh
June 10, 2016
Though it's not John Hughes greatest, it's still a family classic that's hard not to love simply because of John Candy's portrayal of Uncle Buck and how the other characters respond or react to him.
May 14, 2016
I really love this movie. it's def on my top 10 list.
½ April 28, 2016
Weak script but cool Candy
April 24, 2016
My Favorite Movie, John Candy is the Best ever
March 9, 2016
Not John Candy's best role, but he still gives a good performance. Rest of the cast is good too
½ January 8, 2016
John candy never gets old.
½ October 29, 2015
Good ol' Uncle Buck!
October 21, 2015
As much as I dislike John Hughes for what he stands for, this film was quite something. I can understand why someone would want to make a TV show out of it, it sounds like a solid concept for an American TV show. It's a shame that it could only work on the silver screen. The story is surprisingly well-written, although I find it's very easy for one particular character to steal the show. In this case, John Candy's character is the highlight of the movie, and for all the right reasons. He may be irresponsible, and he may be a bit crass at times, but when he wants to be, he's a very entertaining character. This film would be incredibly bland and typical if the character it was named after weren't incredibly funny. The acting is also really good, with the main cast delivering some convincing performances from left and right, and the characters that matter are a joy to watch. The film's production values are also worth mentioning. Maybe it's just that I have a thing for the film's autumn aesthetic (apparently that's when the film was set), but I thought it looked really good, and the soundtrack was pretty good too. However, none of that should matter compared to whether it made me laugh, and thankfully, it did. Whatever my reasons, Uncle Buck is a movie that I consistently enjoy whenever I happen to watch it. If you haven't seen it before, I would personally recommend this film, even if its director was a bit of an overrated hack.
September 28, 2015
Feel good comedy finds slobby Uncle Buck Russell babysitting his nieces and nephew when a family emergency occurs. The movie has a few solid scenes, mostly with John Candy hamming it up in a great way. The way he reels in the children is especially great, when he's butting heads with his snotty teenage niece. Its nothing too memorable, but it does have its moments.