Uncle Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Buck Reviews

May 16, 2018
Mellow at best and John Candy wasn't even that bad of a person they try and make him out to be.
March 17, 2018
My Movies 365 journey has taken me deep into 80's territory, with Uncle Buck being my next up to review. Released in 1989, it just squeezes into the decade but is perfect for it. The 80's trend is becoming clearer with every film I watch: It was all about having fun. No strong depth. No taking itself too seriously. If you were going to see a film in the 80's, you were there for the sole purpose of having a good time. Did I have a good time watching Uncle Buck? Absolutely!

The film is simple in its design, yet still manages to have a ton of classic scenes. How many takes do you think it took to film the memorable Q&A scene with John Candy and McCauley Caulkin? I crack up just thinking about it so I can only imagine how hard it was for them. And Uncle Buck's car? Oh my God, the car! Hooptiest of hoopties. I don't know what's funnier, hearing its shotgun exhaust for the first time or watching everyone scatter for their lives.

Uncle Buck is called in to help babysit after his brother and sister-in-law have to go out of town to deal with an emergency. Other than the fact that there's no real substance to the movie, I don't really have anything bad to say about it. John Candy is perfect in his role as Buck. He's lived a life full of mistakes, but he's a great guy at heart. How can you not love a guy that will make you table-sized pancakes and punch out a clown for your birthday? My Favorite Line: "Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!"

Recommended by an Uncle Kory, I'm so glad Uncle Buck made it's way onto my movie list. I'm giving it an 85.
½ January 1, 2018
Uncle Buck is a classic John Hughes film, with the late, great John Candy starring as its protagonist. The plot is well written, and scenes flow well from one to another. The only horrible support acting comes from Elaine Bromka as Cindy Russell, who seems "forced". The good-natured Buck Russell character shows that through finally making responsible decisions in life leads to fruitful consequences. Buck's maturing parallels that of niece Tia, as they learn to grow up together and bond in the process.

I love the "interview" scene between Buck and nephew Miles at the kitchen table.

This would be a great family film except for the incessant and unnecessary swearing and the repeated use of the word, "shit". I can't understand why this was so overdone. That being said, I thought the benefits of watching this with my 10 year old outweighed the negatives.
½ December 30, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyable family comedy/melodrama from John Hughes that features John Candy in one of his best performances. Candy's washing machine scene and the meeting with the vice principal are classics!
December 26, 2017
Great performance. A must see if you enjoy other comedies of the era.
jamrcla
December 26, 2017
One of John Candys best films, Very simple plot, All the cast were great, An easy enjoyable movie that's full of heart as well as laughs.
½ November 30, 2017
A movie that I will always enjoy even though it has a few flaws. I do miss John Candy and this is one of his better movies. It is still fun to watch even today.
November 30, 2017
Moderately amusing, rather tiresome slob comedy, whose best aspect is the late John Candy (basically reprising his character from the far superior Planes Trains and Automobiles). John Hughes writes and directs as if asleep at the wheel, and the whole ninety minutes crawls by. Very eighties, very unmemorable.
November 16, 2017
John Candy is true genius in this 1980s comedy. Everyone has an Uncle Buck. Highly recommend!
November 7, 2017
Bob and Cindy Russell have a dilemma: Cindy's father, who lives far away, is sick and they need to go see him. However, who will look after their three children for the several days while they are away? Out of desperation they turn to someone whom they have grave reservations about in terms of his suitability for the job - Bob's single, layabout brother, Buck.

Sweet, funny movie, written directed by the master of the poignant-yet-funny 80s comedy-drama, John Hughes. I didn't have high hopes for it initially, suspecting it would be a slapsticky adults vs anarchic children caper.

However, while it threatens to go in that direction every now and again, the movie manages to stay focused. Very engaging, and much more than just a comedy. The transformation of Uncle Buck, played superbly by John Candy, from a single slacker to a responsible adult with better parenting skills than most is quite heart-warming and makes the movie into a great drama.

Some quite hilarious scenes too, so a good combination of comedy and drama.

Unfortunately, probably thanks to some scenes in this movie and Macaulay Culkin's role in it, John Hughes did go down the silly adults-vs-kid (with the kid as the hero) slapstick route soon after this. Within a year, he wrote Home Alone...
October 29, 2017
Still good, even on (many) repeated viewings
August 22, 2017
John Candy at his best in an enjoyable straight up no frills 80's comedy!
July 29, 2017
A strange and yet another politically oblivious movie to come out in the 80s, when nothing had to make sense--it just had to be a good drinking movie. Uncle Buck works on the comedic talents of John Candy, who was somehow able to pull off absurdism and sincerity with the same facetious face. Come to think of it, he even pulled of psychosis so effortlessly. A comedy gem that makes you wish it was 1989 again.
½ June 29, 2017
"Uncle Buck" may be formulaic and predictable, but it's occasionally funny thanks to the charismatic performance from John Candy.
½ April 23, 2017
Here's a comparison that no asked for that I'm gonna do anyway. I don't know, I don't usually care to read forums, it's just not what I like, but I'm assuming there's some people out there (because there's always at least ONE person) that feel that Kevin James is this generation's version of John Candy. I even shudder to compare the two and I feel dirty even mentioning the two in the same sentence. While I completely disagree with this assessment, I can sort of see why some might think that. Both typically play (or played in Candy's case) a fat, jovial man who was, typically, just trying to do the right thing. So far, so good. I can see that. Where I come to disagree is the fact that, quite frankly, Kevin James is a horrible comedic actor. There's just no way around it. He gives off the appearance of being likable, but it's clearly a farce. That's not the problem though, the problem comes in the fact of Candy's comedic style versus James' style. The latter relies almost entire on 'fatty fall down' slapstick comedy or, generally, just making fun of the fact that he's fat (watch Grown Ups 2 for this). He also does not have the best timing or delivery. Candy, on the other hand, while I'm not saying the fact that he wasn't fat wasn't used to, maybe, poke fun at him a little bit, he didn't rely entirely on that. Candy had great presence, timing and delivery. He knew what to say and when to say it. And that's the difference between the two and why, really, they should never be compared to one another. John Candy would be offended at this. The closest thing we have to John Candy in this generation is Melissa McCarthy, though McCarthy isn't afraid to do raunchier stuff where she's kind of a dick to people. Damn, I miss John Candy so much. Anyway, on to this flick. This is another one of those movies that I remember seeing bits and pieces of on TV, but I never actually saw in its entirety. Well, actually, I do believe I saw it when I was younger, like maybe when was from the ages of 8-13, but it's been so long by this point (I'm 29), that it's almost like I'm watching it for the first time. I'm honestly surprised that, before this movie, John Candy's transition to film hadn't exactly translated to box office success. So, realistically speaking, while he was part of some memorable films, his 'success' as a box office draw wasn't even that long, since the 90s up until his death weren't great for the guy. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. What did I think of the movie? Much like Big, a film I reviewed a couple of days ago, I enjoyed this movie. I think I actually enjoyed it more than Big. Problem with Big, as much as I did enjoy it, was that I felt it wasn't as consistent with its comedy and that held it back, a bit, to me. This movie, while certainly not perfect, is more consistent as it relates to comedy. The story set-up is fairly simple and straightforward, you've certainly seen a variation of this movie before and since. The basic gist of it is that Uncle Buck comes over to his brother's and sister-in-law's house to take of their children while they go back home as the sister-in-law's father has had a heart attack. Uncle Buck is irresponsible and has no job, so the sister-in-law is worried that having take care of the children could end up disastrously. Buck has no time winning over the youngest children of the house, Miles and Maizy, he has a harder time with Tia, the typical 80s angsty teen. Tia, for one reason or another, hates her mother. Tia's anger is as a result of the fact that they moved from Indianapolis to Chicago (at least I believe they do), but there's no real reason outside of that. I get it, teens are dicks sometimes (and I've been watching 13 Reasons Why too, so I've gotten my fill of asshole teens), but there's no depth to Tia. She's just a dick because she is. This is a John Hughes comedy, so I can't fault him for being one-dimensional about his characters, but Tia is really kind of a detestable character that you legitimately don't like. And I don't mean that in the 'this is fake and I'm suspending my disbelief' kind of way, I mean in the 'I just wish she would go away' kind of way. But, you know the reason the character is like that. It's done so Uncle Buck's kindness and wise words can turn Tia into a loving daughter once again. Again, this is something you've seen before and will see again, but I didn't mind it because this movie was quite good. I thought it was a funny movie, the most memorable scene being between Macaulay Culkin asking a lot of consecutive questions and Buck just answering them in quick succession. It sounds silly writing it out, but it is a funny scene. There's some a very sexually suggestive scene here with Buck and Chanice (his girlfriend) discussing Buck's nicknames for several of Chanice's private parts. The scene ends with Buck saying Felix is what we called your...and then it cuts away as we hear a cat yowling outside the house. I was certainly surprised by this joke. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty fucking great joke in how clever it was, but I'm surprised that they got this through in a PG movie. By this time, PG-13 had already been put into place, so it's not like there wasn't a rating for them to go with. Nowadays you get an instant PG-13 rating if you look at someone with intent to kill. Your movie might not even have any cursing or any other "questionable" material by the MPAA, but they'll give you a PG-13 for a fart and an R-rating for one instance of someone using the word fuck. The fact that they got a subtle PUSSY joke (that only the adults and some teens) would get past the MPAA was pretty great. There was another instance of this, with the washing machine scene where Marcie, Buck's family's neighbor) comes in and thinks Buck is talking dirty to a woman as they're having sex. The pussy joke is more memorable though, but they do mention putting loads in, so there you go. A tip of the hat to who ever convinced the MPAA to give this a PG rating with those two jokes in. You, sir or madam, are the real MVP. But I digress, I really liked this movie. It's a lot of fun to watch. The casting is great, though the characterization of Tia left a lot to be desired in some parts, and the film is lighthearted and funny enough for me to give this 3.5 stars instead of 3. It's not perfect, but it's one of those movies that will, most likely, keep being good no matter how many times you watch it. Or if you watch it 1000 years from now. Like I said, that doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's got a timeless quality about it. I'd certainly recommend this if you haven't yet seen it.
April 6, 2017
Not an amazing movie, but pretty funny anyway. John Candy delivers one of his better roles here, along with Barf in SPACEBALLS. Pretty good, I guess.
½ March 28, 2017
Candy is cast superbly in this rather predictable plot. Many funny scenes. Well worth your time especially if you like John Candy.
March 9, 2017
It's not John Hughes' best film, but it does have a nice amount of laughs and also a good amount of heart too! A-
March 5, 2017