Uncle Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Buck Reviews

March 9, 2017
It's not John Hughes' best film, but it does have a nice amount of laughs and also a good amount of heart too! A-
March 5, 2017
One of the best John Candy movies
January 14, 2017
John Candy was born to play Uncle Buck.
½ December 28, 2016
Good film. John candy steals this film! Watch a lot years ago but after watching it recently. I must say it is good but nothing amazing.
½ November 11, 2016
Sometimes, a comedy doesn't need to be particularly deep. After all, the main goal of a comedy is to entertain and provide laughs, and John Hughes' Uncle Buck is a complete success in that regard. Hughes' trademark sense of charm is all here, primarily through another good-natured performance from John Candy, working with Hughes for a second time. As the titular character, Candy brings the kind of relatability you expect from him, playing the crazy screwball relative we all have, whether we like to admit it or not. His interactions with the Russell family members are the life force of his character and the movie as a whole. The most interesting, and deep in the Hughesian way, is the strained relationship between Buck and oldest Russell teen, Tia (Jean Louisa Kelly). Her rebellious nature naturally clashes with Buck's own personality, and the two adds an interesting dynamic, albeit a predictable one in terms of character arcs, to an otherwise simplistic film. This certainly isn't Hughes' deepest work, but it's one with enough fluff and charm to make it worthwhile.
November 3, 2016
Comfortable distraction.
September 24, 2016
John Candy is charming as the quirky Uncle Buck.
September 21, 2016
Uncle Buck is a feel-good movie for all ages. Fantastic performances and fantastic ending. A John Hughes classic that brings you joy no matter what your age.
September 5, 2016
Uncle Buck is directed and written by John Hughes, and it stars John Candy, Jean Louisa, Macaulay Culkin, Gaby Hoffmann, and Amy Madigan in a comedy film about their grandfather having a heart attack, their parents have no idea who to call to take care of their kids, and they end up calling their brother-in-law named Buck (John Candy). In terms of films that John Hughes has directed, I almost watched all of them. The only films that I haven't seen yet, are She's Having a Baby, and Carly Sue. With this however, it's the last John Hughes directed film that I watched that I've seen before, and I still enjoyed it. John Candy is terrific as he usually is in films that like Robin Williams, he always tries to be funny in a film, even if it's bad. The kid actors in this like Macaulay Culkin and Gaby Hoffmann are really good and funny for their young age and not in an annoying way. There are some crazy jokes in here, and they get a laugh out of me, and the script by John Hughes still manages to have some of his great work in here, even if it isn't his best here. The only issue besides the not much of a spark script that I had, was that you know where some of the plot elements will go. Luckily it wasn't the main focus here, the film focuses on the characters and the humor, which really work thanks to the charms from the late John Candy.
August 20, 2016
Irresponsible, cigar smoking, gambling black sheep uncle Buck is his brother's last resort to look after his teenage daughter and two younger children. Buck starts out not being liked but by the end he's a stand up guy. This comedy isn't very interesting and is a result of a thin storyline and thin screenplay. The writer's had a good idea but that's about it.
August 12, 2016
Slobbish irresponsible uncle is called upon during an emergency to care for his suburban nieces and nephew. It's another comedy in which nobody likes the uncle but by the end he's proven himself and fixes everyone's problems for a happy ending.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
One of John Candys best, Cery simple plot, All the cast were great, A easy enjoyable movie that's full of heart aswell as laughs.
July 5, 2016
It's cute and entertaining in the beginning but got boring from the middle. However, Uncle Buck himself is very devoted and cool!
½ July 4, 2016
uncle buck still makes me laugh
June 10, 2016
Though it's not John Hughes greatest, it's still a family classic that's hard not to love simply because of John Candy's portrayal of Uncle Buck and how the other characters respond or react to him.
May 14, 2016
I really love this movie. it's def on my top 10 list.
½ April 28, 2016
Weak script but cool Candy
April 24, 2016
My Favorite Movie, John Candy is the Best ever
March 9, 2016
Not John Candy's best role, but he still gives a good performance. Rest of the cast is good too