Uncle Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Buck Reviews

August 22, 2017
John Candy at his best in an enjoyable straight up no frills 80's comedy!
July 29, 2017
A strange and yet another politically oblivious movie to come out in the 80s, when nothing had to make sense--it just had to be a good drinking movie. Uncle Buck works on the comedic talents of John Candy, who was somehow able to pull off absurdism and sincerity with the same facetious face. Come to think of it, he even pulled of psychosis so effortlessly. A comedy gem that makes you wish it was 1989 again.
½ June 29, 2017
"Uncle Buck" may be formulaic and predictable, but it's occasionally funny thanks to the charismatic performance from John Candy.
½ April 23, 2017
Here's a comparison that no asked for that I'm gonna do anyway. I don't know, I don't usually care to read forums, it's just not what I like, but I'm assuming there's some people out there (because there's always at least ONE person) that feel that Kevin James is this generation's version of John Candy. I even shudder to compare the two and I feel dirty even mentioning the two in the same sentence. While I completely disagree with this assessment, I can sort of see why some might think that. Both typically play (or played in Candy's case) a fat, jovial man who was, typically, just trying to do the right thing. So far, so good. I can see that. Where I come to disagree is the fact that, quite frankly, Kevin James is a horrible comedic actor. There's just no way around it. He gives off the appearance of being likable, but it's clearly a farce. That's not the problem though, the problem comes in the fact of Candy's comedic style versus James' style. The latter relies almost entire on 'fatty fall down' slapstick comedy or, generally, just making fun of the fact that he's fat (watch Grown Ups 2 for this). He also does not have the best timing or delivery. Candy, on the other hand, while I'm not saying the fact that he wasn't fat wasn't used to, maybe, poke fun at him a little bit, he didn't rely entirely on that. Candy had great presence, timing and delivery. He knew what to say and when to say it. And that's the difference between the two and why, really, they should never be compared to one another. John Candy would be offended at this. The closest thing we have to John Candy in this generation is Melissa McCarthy, though McCarthy isn't afraid to do raunchier stuff where she's kind of a dick to people. Damn, I miss John Candy so much. Anyway, on to this flick. This is another one of those movies that I remember seeing bits and pieces of on TV, but I never actually saw in its entirety. Well, actually, I do believe I saw it when I was younger, like maybe when was from the ages of 8-13, but it's been so long by this point (I'm 29), that it's almost like I'm watching it for the first time. I'm honestly surprised that, before this movie, John Candy's transition to film hadn't exactly translated to box office success. So, realistically speaking, while he was part of some memorable films, his 'success' as a box office draw wasn't even that long, since the 90s up until his death weren't great for the guy. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. What did I think of the movie? Much like Big, a film I reviewed a couple of days ago, I enjoyed this movie. I think I actually enjoyed it more than Big. Problem with Big, as much as I did enjoy it, was that I felt it wasn't as consistent with its comedy and that held it back, a bit, to me. This movie, while certainly not perfect, is more consistent as it relates to comedy. The story set-up is fairly simple and straightforward, you've certainly seen a variation of this movie before and since. The basic gist of it is that Uncle Buck comes over to his brother's and sister-in-law's house to take of their children while they go back home as the sister-in-law's father has had a heart attack. Uncle Buck is irresponsible and has no job, so the sister-in-law is worried that having take care of the children could end up disastrously. Buck has no time winning over the youngest children of the house, Miles and Maizy, he has a harder time with Tia, the typical 80s angsty teen. Tia, for one reason or another, hates her mother. Tia's anger is as a result of the fact that they moved from Indianapolis to Chicago (at least I believe they do), but there's no real reason outside of that. I get it, teens are dicks sometimes (and I've been watching 13 Reasons Why too, so I've gotten my fill of asshole teens), but there's no depth to Tia. She's just a dick because she is. This is a John Hughes comedy, so I can't fault him for being one-dimensional about his characters, but Tia is really kind of a detestable character that you legitimately don't like. And I don't mean that in the 'this is fake and I'm suspending my disbelief' kind of way, I mean in the 'I just wish she would go away' kind of way. But, you know the reason the character is like that. It's done so Uncle Buck's kindness and wise words can turn Tia into a loving daughter once again. Again, this is something you've seen before and will see again, but I didn't mind it because this movie was quite good. I thought it was a funny movie, the most memorable scene being between Macaulay Culkin asking a lot of consecutive questions and Buck just answering them in quick succession. It sounds silly writing it out, but it is a funny scene. There's some a very sexually suggestive scene here with Buck and Chanice (his girlfriend) discussing Buck's nicknames for several of Chanice's private parts. The scene ends with Buck saying Felix is what we called your...and then it cuts away as we hear a cat yowling outside the house. I was certainly surprised by this joke. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty fucking great joke in how clever it was, but I'm surprised that they got this through in a PG movie. By this time, PG-13 had already been put into place, so it's not like there wasn't a rating for them to go with. Nowadays you get an instant PG-13 rating if you look at someone with intent to kill. Your movie might not even have any cursing or any other "questionable" material by the MPAA, but they'll give you a PG-13 for a fart and an R-rating for one instance of someone using the word fuck. The fact that they got a subtle PUSSY joke (that only the adults and some teens) would get past the MPAA was pretty great. There was another instance of this, with the washing machine scene where Marcie, Buck's family's neighbor) comes in and thinks Buck is talking dirty to a woman as they're having sex. The pussy joke is more memorable though, but they do mention putting loads in, so there you go. A tip of the hat to who ever convinced the MPAA to give this a PG rating with those two jokes in. You, sir or madam, are the real MVP. But I digress, I really liked this movie. It's a lot of fun to watch. The casting is great, though the characterization of Tia left a lot to be desired in some parts, and the film is lighthearted and funny enough for me to give this 3.5 stars instead of 3. It's not perfect, but it's one of those movies that will, most likely, keep being good no matter how many times you watch it. Or if you watch it 1000 years from now. Like I said, that doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's got a timeless quality about it. I'd certainly recommend this if you haven't yet seen it.
April 6, 2017
Not an amazing movie, but pretty funny anyway. John Candy delivers one of his better roles here, along with Barf in SPACEBALLS. Pretty good, I guess.
½ March 28, 2017
Candy is cast superbly in this rather predictable plot. Many funny scenes. Well worth your time especially if you like John Candy.
March 9, 2017
It's not John Hughes' best film, but it does have a nice amount of laughs and also a good amount of heart too! A-
March 5, 2017
One of the best John Candy movies
January 14, 2017
John Candy was born to play Uncle Buck.
½ December 28, 2016
Good film. John candy steals this film! Watch a lot years ago but after watching it recently. I must say it is good but nothing amazing.
½ November 11, 2016
Sometimes, a comedy doesn't need to be particularly deep. After all, the main goal of a comedy is to entertain and provide laughs, and John Hughes' Uncle Buck is a complete success in that regard. Hughes' trademark sense of charm is all here, primarily through another good-natured performance from John Candy, working with Hughes for a second time. As the titular character, Candy brings the kind of relatability you expect from him, playing the crazy screwball relative we all have, whether we like to admit it or not. His interactions with the Russell family members are the life force of his character and the movie as a whole. The most interesting, and deep in the Hughesian way, is the strained relationship between Buck and oldest Russell teen, Tia (Jean Louisa Kelly). Her rebellious nature naturally clashes with Buck's own personality, and the two adds an interesting dynamic, albeit a predictable one in terms of character arcs, to an otherwise simplistic film. This certainly isn't Hughes' deepest work, but it's one with enough fluff and charm to make it worthwhile.
November 3, 2016
Comfortable distraction.
September 24, 2016
John Candy is charming as the quirky Uncle Buck.
September 21, 2016
Uncle Buck is a feel-good movie for all ages. Fantastic performances and fantastic ending. A John Hughes classic that brings you joy no matter what your age.
September 5, 2016
Uncle Buck is directed and written by John Hughes, and it stars John Candy, Jean Louisa, Macaulay Culkin, Gaby Hoffmann, and Amy Madigan in a comedy film about their grandfather having a heart attack, their parents have no idea who to call to take care of their kids, and they end up calling their brother-in-law named Buck (John Candy). In terms of films that John Hughes has directed, I almost watched all of them. The only films that I haven't seen yet, are She's Having a Baby, and Carly Sue. With this however, it's the last John Hughes directed film that I watched that I've seen before, and I still enjoyed it. John Candy is terrific as he usually is in films that like Robin Williams, he always tries to be funny in a film, even if it's bad. The kid actors in this like Macaulay Culkin and Gaby Hoffmann are really good and funny for their young age and not in an annoying way. There are some crazy jokes in here, and they get a laugh out of me, and the script by John Hughes still manages to have some of his great work in here, even if it isn't his best here. The only issue besides the not much of a spark script that I had, was that you know where some of the plot elements will go. Luckily it wasn't the main focus here, the film focuses on the characters and the humor, which really work thanks to the charms from the late John Candy.
August 20, 2016
Irresponsible, cigar smoking, gambling black sheep uncle Buck is his brother's last resort to look after his teenage daughter and two younger children. Buck starts out not being liked but by the end he's a stand up guy. This comedy isn't very interesting and is a result of a thin storyline and thin screenplay. The writer's had a good idea but that's about it.
August 12, 2016
Slobbish irresponsible uncle is called upon during an emergency to care for his suburban nieces and nephew. It's another comedy in which nobody likes the uncle but by the end he's proven himself and fixes everyone's problems for a happy ending.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
One of John Candys best, Cery simple plot, All the cast were great, A easy enjoyable movie that's full of heart aswell as laughs.