Valley of the Dolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valley of the Dolls Reviews

January 20, 2017
A corny, over-the-top, adaptation that exposes life behind the scenes of old school Hollywood, and the way in which it swallows up and spits out young girls. A more straightforward take would've probably had more impact, but there's no denying that this is engaging.
½ December 25, 2016
It feels tremendously dated today, as I imagine it had felt back in the 1960s just as well (although obviously not also from a thematic point of view), like a mawkish vintage soap-opera that is not ashamed of its laughable dialogue and absurd situations.
December 4, 2016
I guess to many this is considered as a must see, but I truly state that I have seen it & have no real ambition to re-connect.

Really a vehicle for heaps of sexual innuendo's & unesscery amounts of prescription drugs.

Filled with unusual dialogue & many politically incorrect statements. Great fashions & style but I found it hard to really get into.
½ November 16, 2016
Camptastically entertaining.
½ November 8, 2016
Director Mark Robson gives the film a thin veneer of respectability, but mostly stands by while it descends into absurdity.
Jacqueline Susann's 'exposé' of Hollywood gets the cliché-ridden treatment it deserves from Robson.
October 1, 2016
It was Showgirls before Showgirls, yet not campy enough to be considered memorable, though interesting.
September 20, 2016
Valley of the Dolls (1967) C-123m. ?? D: Mark Robson. Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Paul Burke. Jacqueline Susann's novel of three women, their temptation and sorrows in show business is thoroughly trashed in atrocious film adaptation which is rightfully regarded as one of the worst films of its time. Hilariously awful acting and dialogue begin to get boring after about an hour. Sequel: BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.
August 20, 2016
Loved, loved, loved this. Talk about a gay mans wet dream! I don't care what the critics said it is Amazingly fabulous!
½ July 29, 2016
Yes, there's a cheesy aspect and one scene in particular that really annoyed me but... the movie was actually better than I expected and I'm glad I finally watched it.
April 13, 2016
The "Showgirls" of the Summer of Love. Three aspiring starlets hit the Big Time and succumb to booze and pills. Patty Duke out Judy's Judy Garland and would have won a Razzie for it. All the cheese is played straight and it begs for a riffing. Not for the Comically Impaired.
½ April 5, 2016
Yes, this movie is awful! Ironically, that's what makes it so much fun to watch. Some great scenes to hold your interest. If you grew up in this period of time as I did, it may boost your interest. Brings back memories--both pleasant and unpleasant. Patty Duke is a total bitch--thrilling to watch!
½ March 29, 2016
Too bland to be good and too good to be campy.
March 15, 2016
A pretty good movie and daring for its time, in dealing with women's issues and drug addiction. Based on Jacqueline Susann's bestselling novel. Loosely based on famous women of the time such as Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland (who was briefly cast, then fired.) Melodramatic, but that fits the showbiz setting. Fine performances from Patty Duke, Sharon Tate and Barbara Parkins, and a cameo appearance by Susan Hayward.
September 22, 2015
good cheesy campy fun
May 30, 2015
Jacqueline Susann tawdry novel remains a incredibly fun read. The cinematic adaptation apparently made a good deal of money at the box office when it was released. This movie is so bad you will find it challenging to look away once it starts. A great example of what can happen when Hollywood thinks it is making a masterpiece but is actually creating a movie so bad it becomes great campy fun. And, time has only caused the entertainment value to flourish with wild abandon. It deserves all 4 stars!
May 15, 2015
You have to climb Mt. Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls.

Ann Wells doesn't feel like she knows who she is from her upbringing in a small New England town and heads onto Broadway to work for a law firm that works with movie stars, directors and producers. She becomes close with two girls in the business, one is a limited talented actress that struggles with relationships, shallowness, and drugs (Marilyn Monroe). Her other friend (Judy Garland) was rejected by a fading star actress and uses that rejection to form a burning inner anger to be the best. She spits off at the old actress throughout her career and the venom turns her into exactly what she hates.

"I feel a little top heavy."
"You are a little top heavy."

Mark Robson, director of Earthquake, The Prize, Peyton Place, Trial, Isle of the Dead, Bedlam, The Ghost Ship (1943), and A Prize of Gold, delivers Valley of the Dolls. When this was released the reviews murdered it. Many famous actors tried out and turned these parts down. I actually love this movie. It may be nothing like the book, but still depicts a fascinating glimpse of the past. The cast delivers convincing performances and includes Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, Martin Milner, Lee Grant, and Naomi Stevens.

"Lots of secretaries are married, aren't they?"
"Not in this office."

I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to my queue. It is regarded in Hollywood as one of the all time bad films, but I actually enjoy this movie. It may not hold up to the amazing novel, but I enjoyed the plot and character interactions. I definitely think this is a must see classic.

"All I've ever had is my body and now I don't even have that."

Grade: A
April 7, 2015
It was okay, but the book was better. Patty Duke tends to overact, but that may have been intentional for the character. Too bad Sharon Tate's career was cut short; she was a breath of fresh air in this movie. Not bad. Not great.
December 4, 2014
October 9, 2014
My lifelong attraction to Patty Duke (don't ask), the clear allure of the late Sharon Tate and this film's cult status couldn't get me to care one second about this campy look at Hollywood starlets and what I hope are exaggerations, though I admittedly couldn't stop thinking about Lindsay Lohan. If the book is as long and drawn out as the film, I happily admit to only seeing the movie. It was beating enough.
½ August 5, 2014
This was a very interesting and out there 60's film.
It felt very different then a lot of the movies that came out around that time.
It did feel a little long and seemed to drag at times.