Valley of the Dolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valley of the Dolls Reviews

April 13, 2016
The "Showgirls" of the Summer of Love. Three aspiring starlets hit the Big Time and succumb to booze and pills. Patty Duke out Judy's Judy Garland and would have won a Razzie for it. All the cheese is played straight and it begs for a riffing. Not for the Comically Impaired.
½ April 5, 2016
Yes, this movie is awful! Ironically, that's what makes it so much fun to watch. Some great scenes to hold your interest. If you grew up in this period of time as I did, it may boost your interest. Brings back memories--both pleasant and unpleasant. Patty Duke is a total bitch--thrilling to watch!
½ March 29, 2016
Too bland to be good and too good to be campy.
March 15, 2016
A pretty good movie and daring for its time, in dealing with women's issues and drug addiction. Based on Jacqueline Susann's bestselling novel. Loosely based on famous women of the time such as Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland (who was briefly cast, then fired.) Melodramatic, but that fits the showbiz setting. Fine performances from Patty Duke, Sharon Tate and Barbara Parkins, and a cameo appearance by Susan Hayward.
September 22, 2015
good cheesy campy fun
May 30, 2015
Jacqueline Susann tawdry novel remains a incredibly fun read. The cinematic adaptation apparently made a good deal of money at the box office when it was released. This movie is so bad you will find it challenging to look away once it starts. A great example of what can happen when Hollywood thinks it is making a masterpiece but is actually creating a movie so bad it becomes great campy fun. And, time has only caused the entertainment value to flourish with wild abandon. It deserves all 4 stars!
½ May 29, 2015
Although obviously not also from a thematic point of view, the film's execution feels tremendously dated today - as I imagine it was just as well back in the 1960s -, like a mawkish vintage soap-opera that is not ashamed of its laughable dialogue and absurd situations.
May 15, 2015
You have to climb Mt. Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls.

Ann Wells doesn't feel like she knows who she is from her upbringing in a small New England town and heads onto Broadway to work for a law firm that works with movie stars, directors and producers. She becomes close with two girls in the business, one is a limited talented actress that struggles with relationships, shallowness, and drugs (Marilyn Monroe). Her other friend (Judy Garland) was rejected by a fading star actress and uses that rejection to form a burning inner anger to be the best. She spits off at the old actress throughout her career and the venom turns her into exactly what she hates.

"I feel a little top heavy."
"You are a little top heavy."

Mark Robson, director of Earthquake, The Prize, Peyton Place, Trial, Isle of the Dead, Bedlam, The Ghost Ship (1943), and A Prize of Gold, delivers Valley of the Dolls. When this was released the reviews murdered it. Many famous actors tried out and turned these parts down. I actually love this movie. It may be nothing like the book, but still depicts a fascinating glimpse of the past. The cast delivers convincing performances and includes Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, Martin Milner, Lee Grant, and Naomi Stevens.

"Lots of secretaries are married, aren't they?"
"Not in this office."

I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to my queue. It is regarded in Hollywood as one of the all time bad films, but I actually enjoy this movie. It may not hold up to the amazing novel, but I enjoyed the plot and character interactions. I definitely think this is a must see classic.

"All I've ever had is my body and now I don't even have that."

Grade: A
April 7, 2015
It was okay, but the book was better. Patty Duke tends to overact, but that may have been intentional for the character. Too bad Sharon Tate's career was cut short; she was a breath of fresh air in this movie. Not bad. Not great.
December 4, 2014
October 9, 2014
My lifelong attraction to Patty Duke (don't ask), the clear allure of the late Sharon Tate and this film's cult status couldn't get me to care one second about this campy look at Hollywood starlets and what I hope are exaggerations, though I admittedly couldn't stop thinking about Lindsay Lohan. If the book is as long and drawn out as the film, I happily admit to only seeing the movie. It was beating enough.
½ August 5, 2014
This was a very interesting and out there 60's film.
It felt very different then a lot of the movies that came out around that time.
It did feel a little long and seemed to drag at times.
August 1, 2014
It's the greatest motion picture ever made.
July 24, 2014
I always feel this film gets a bad rap. Stylistically, it's gorgeous. The costumes, makeup & hair are outstanding, a real look into that era's popular culture. While the acting varies between flat & overwrought, some scenes have real power (Patty Duke's final scene is sad & affecting). Sure it's melodrama. But the delightful Susan Hayward chewing the scenery, equally matched by Duke, is a real pleasure. There really is substance & meat to the story, and the poignancy is wonderfully underscored by Dionne Warwick. Enjoy with an open mind.
July 18, 2014
sadly, nothing has changed since 67.
June 22, 2014
Four stars for its sheer 'so bad its good' campiness entertainment factor. Is it wrong that I still want to see Beyond the Valley of the Dolls? (even though its not technically a sequel)
April 6, 2014
Absolutely bored out of my mind.
December 27, 2013
There are moments in cinema where cinematic era actually transcends up to and into art. Mark Robinson's film is fiendishly delightful and entertaining mess of a movie not to be missed at any cost.
November 27, 2013
I don't care what critics say, the soundtrack, fashion, and makeup are all fantastic in the haute 60s manner. It's really a movie aimed at girls and the men are are all so handsome in this movie and the girls are very pretty. I never read the book so it's hard for me to compare it, although everyone who has says this stinks. Therefore it's good if u haven't read the book. I didn't realize Sharon Tate was in this movie, she seemed like a sweet soul.
September 2, 2013
The original story of Lindaay Lohan and friends. Kinda hard to adjust to the time lapses...there really werent any transitions.