Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant Reviews

½ October 22, 2016
Not good one bit. It waste time to much. It takes to long to get to the climax. Don't watch this movie unless you want a good laugh or want to see a bad movie
October 11, 2016
As a fan of the books I was very disappointing in this movie. The acting was terrible, the scene transitions were choppy, and it held the book's plot very, VERY loosely. Overall, I would not recommend this movie.
½ October 3, 2016
The movie would have been watchable if they had gone with a better actor for the main character, he was beyond terrible, his acting made me cringe. Good thing he doesn't get a lot of work.
September 11, 2016
More an attempt at a comedy than a horror. The SFX go from very good in places to poor in others, and the editing is a bit of a shocker, very average.
½ August 1, 2016
This film based on one of my favourite books by Darren Shan is not horrible at all, although it is not amazing either. The Vampire's assistant is an okay film but it could have been better. I am not a big fan of Willem Dafoe who plays one of the vampires in this film but I like the fact than John C Reilly is in this film and he plays the main vampire Mr Crepsley (Vur Horston). I think John C Reilly is good in this film and I appreciate his acting. There are a few actors and actresses who aren't good in this film. The actress who played the Mum of 16 year old Darren is terrible. I have never seen her in any films before but I hated her acting. Josh Hutcherson an actor in this film who plays Steve is pretty good in this film however he tended to smile when he was meant to be angry. Overall I thought this was okay but I was expecting a little bit more from it
July 8, 2016
this pile of dirt should not even be called a movie the acting is poor the directing is awful and there is almost no connection with the book.The two mane characters (darren and steve)are incredibly winy especially Darren ,this is a truly awful film
½ July 5, 2016
D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-I-N-G. I'd rather see Count Dracula bring shame to the legions of existing vampires than watch this flick. Sorry!
½ April 12, 2016
From watching John C. Reilly over the years, in everything from 'Hoffa' and 'Dolores Claiborne' when he was developing his craft, to 'Step Brothers' and 'Carnage', in which he was one of the leading actors that the film was centered on, I really wanted this film to work for me, though I feel in this recent glut of cinema spawned from Hollywood's post-'Twilight' obsession with vampires, that someone really needs to give this trend a coffin rest, at least for a while so creative fires can have a chance to rekindle--it seems to have been done to death. I'm sure this wasn't what Bram Stoker had in mind with his original 'Dracula'. There's nothing in these recent CGI-bloated messes meaty enough to sink one's teeth into. I'm sure Dr. Alucard himself is cursing the day he was granted immortality, if only to avoid his local multiplex, for this very reason.

Like another recent film I tried to get into, but basically flew off the rails in an enormous video game-like tidal wave of effects I neither wanted nor needed to see ('Your Highness' by David Gordon Green), the filmmakers ill-advisedly thought that the audience had to be captivated by fights and chases galore, but it's like seeing yet another explosion in a Michael Bay movie: Just give me: a) Great presence in an actor, for once, like the Sir Christopher Lees, Sir Peter Cushings, Vincent Prices, Boris Karloffs and Bela Lugosis of yesteryear; b) A story worth telling; and c) A director who knows a thing or two about storytelling--otherwise, I'd rather boycott drinking blood, and simply switch, at least for contemporary film, to a different cup of tea. I'm not surprised whatsoever that this didn't do well at the box office, and that filmmakers decided not to continue with the franchise. Even for vampires, sometimes enough is enough for a lifetime.
½ March 27, 2016
As far as movies based on young adult novels about circus vampires go, this is right in the middle of the pack. As with many such movies, the premise was mostly stupid, but there are some nice kid-friendly scares and John C, Reilly gives a decent performance. If I was going to sum it up in two words, I'd say it was "pretty okay."
February 12, 2016
Good spooky fun, but feels rushed due to the combination of 3 books. Not a good adaptation by any means but as a movie it is somewhat entertaining. Read the book if you're looking for a significantly more engrossing story.
½ February 3, 2016
Better than that "Twilight" silliness, and gets some laughs (on purpose).
January 22, 2016
I love it. I reading. all the books
January 14, 2016
best movie everrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
½ January 11, 2016
One of my Fav Vampire Movies!
½ December 22, 2015
Loved all the books and was SO excited about the movie. A year after it came out, I watched it on tv. man was this series Ruined off just this one movie.
September 26, 2015
Really wonderful film -- I loved it!
½ September 13, 2015
John C. Reilly is the only star that shines in this poorly constructed flick which allows us to care very little about any of the characters on offer.
July 10, 2015
What's with all the vampire movies?
June 14, 2015
watchable! because I love vampires
½ May 31, 2015
If this book to film had been targeted at a slightly older audience at not solely at pre-teen boys it is possible it would have resulted in sequels but unfortunately it didn't seem to try and appeal to a wider audience.