Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant Reviews

April 25, 2017
Absolutely awful, as a massive fan of the Darren Shan book series this film genuinely upset me as i was so excited to hear there was a film coming out based on quite possibly my favourite book series (i am infact listening to the audio book as i type this) but pretty much everything except the names was completely different than the book i cant help but feel that it would have been better received if they had not tried to cram the first 2 books into one movie. After watching this i have lost alot of respect for Darren Shan and feel his artistic integrity has been compromised to sell out for a film that imo destroys his good name. Books 10/10, film negative 20 out of 10
½ April 7, 2017
3.5/5. John C. Riley and Josh Hutchinson are perfect casting, and while the cinematography is excellent and stylistic, the film as a whole is just an ok adaptation of the source material. It could have been better, but it could have been much worse.
½ March 5, 2017
I didnt really like it... maybe felt it was miscast.. i dunno , just not a great movie in my opinion
½ February 12, 2017
I found this movie pretty much by accident when flicking through the Netflix catalogue. I thought what the heck and started to watch it. My hopes were really not that high. Actually I am not sure I had any hopes at all since I just stumbled on the movie and started to watch it on a whim. What I found was a rather okay and fun movie actually.

The movie is apparently based on popular book series Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan. Unfortunately, in their usual arrogant manner, the Hollywood moguls decided to rip the books appart and mash together book one and two in this movie. It appears the general consensus is, not surprisingly, that the books are better than the movie. Nevertheless, the movie was good enough that I most probably will have a go at reading at least one of the books in the series.

The movie itself then? Actually I liked it more than I expected. It took a little while before it got started but once it got going it was a good teenage magical fantasy adventure. I am actually a bit saddened that it appears there was never any sequels using the other books in the series.

The name Cirque du Freak is well chosen. This is not the usual bunch of people with magical abilities or fangs or some of the other attributes you usually see in magic or supernatural movies. The members of the Cirque are freaks in every sense of the word. I do not think I have seen such a bunch of weird and bisarre creatures before. Heck, the vampire that takes Darrel as his assistant is probably the most normal of the bunch.

The story is quite okay and the acting acceptable. The vampire, Creepsly, felt a bit underwhelming at first but he grew on me. So did Mr. Tiny who I definitely didn't like at first but found doing quite a good job of playing the evil mastermind towards the end. His sleaziness was downright creepy.

I am sure a lot of the story and character development from the books were left out because there is so much more that could have been done with the story. Darrel befriending the snake man, the brewing romance, Darrels relation with Creapsley and all the other interactions and characters that took place. If the producer had wanted to do a good job he could easily have added another 40 minutes to the movie. A shame he did not.

Bottom line, watching this movie was a pleasant experience. It is perhaps not a blockbuster but a nice little adventure, magic, supernatural and fantasy gem.
January 16, 2017
2017-01-16 didn't want to see it. Hubby insisted. It was meh/ugh.
½ November 4, 2016
I just seen this movie and I love it hope that make a number two because it left me whanting more ibjust seen it 2016 pleas make number two of it don't leave me hanging I like to see the battle
½ October 22, 2016
Not good one bit. It waste time to much. It takes to long to get to the climax. Don't watch this movie unless you want a good laugh or want to see a bad movie
October 11, 2016
As a fan of the books I was very disappointing in this movie. The acting was terrible, the scene transitions were choppy, and it held the book's plot very, VERY loosely. Overall, I would not recommend this movie.
½ October 3, 2016
The movie would have been watchable if they had gone with a better actor for the main character, he was beyond terrible, his acting made me cringe. Good thing he doesn't get a lot of work.
September 11, 2016
More an attempt at a comedy than a horror. The SFX go from very good in places to poor in others, and the editing is a bit of a shocker, very average.
½ August 1, 2016
This film based on one of my favourite books by Darren Shan is not horrible at all, although it is not amazing either. The Vampire's assistant is an okay film but it could have been better. I am not a big fan of Willem Dafoe who plays one of the vampires in this film but I like the fact than John C Reilly is in this film and he plays the main vampire Mr Crepsley (Vur Horston). I think John C Reilly is good in this film and I appreciate his acting. There are a few actors and actresses who aren't good in this film. The actress who played the Mum of 16 year old Darren is terrible. I have never seen her in any films before but I hated her acting. Josh Hutcherson an actor in this film who plays Steve is pretty good in this film however he tended to smile when he was meant to be angry. Overall I thought this was okay but I was expecting a little bit more from it
July 8, 2016
this pile of dirt should not even be called a movie the acting is poor the directing is awful and there is almost no connection with the book.The two mane characters (darren and steve)are incredibly winy especially Darren ,this is a truly awful film
½ July 5, 2016
D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-I-N-G. I'd rather see Count Dracula bring shame to the legions of existing vampires than watch this flick. Sorry!
½ April 12, 2016
From watching John C. Reilly over the years, in everything from 'Hoffa' and 'Dolores Claiborne' when he was developing his craft, to 'Step Brothers' and 'Carnage', in which he was one of the leading actors that the film was centered on, I really wanted this film to work for me, though I feel in this recent glut of cinema spawned from Hollywood's post-'Twilight' obsession with vampires, that someone really needs to give this trend a coffin rest, at least for a while so creative fires can have a chance to rekindle--it seems to have been done to death. I'm sure this wasn't what Bram Stoker had in mind with his original 'Dracula'. There's nothing in these recent CGI-bloated messes meaty enough to sink one's teeth into. I'm sure Dr. Alucard himself is cursing the day he was granted immortality, if only to avoid his local multiplex, for this very reason.

Like another recent film I tried to get into, but basically flew off the rails in an enormous video game-like tidal wave of effects I neither wanted nor needed to see ('Your Highness' by David Gordon Green), the filmmakers ill-advisedly thought that the audience had to be captivated by fights and chases galore, but it's like seeing yet another explosion in a Michael Bay movie: Just give me: a) Great presence in an actor, for once, like the Sir Christopher Lees, Sir Peter Cushings, Vincent Prices, Boris Karloffs and Bela Lugosis of yesteryear; b) A story worth telling; and c) A director who knows a thing or two about storytelling--otherwise, I'd rather boycott drinking blood, and simply switch, at least for contemporary film, to a different cup of tea. I'm not surprised whatsoever that this didn't do well at the box office, and that filmmakers decided not to continue with the franchise. Even for vampires, sometimes enough is enough for a lifetime.
½ March 27, 2016
As far as movies based on young adult novels about circus vampires go, this is right in the middle of the pack. As with many such movies, the premise was mostly stupid, but there are some nice kid-friendly scares and John C, Reilly gives a decent performance. If I was going to sum it up in two words, I'd say it was "pretty okay."
February 12, 2016
Good spooky fun, but feels rushed due to the combination of 3 books. Not a good adaptation by any means but as a movie it is somewhat entertaining. Read the book if you're looking for a significantly more engrossing story.
½ February 3, 2016
Better than that "Twilight" silliness, and gets some laughs (on purpose).
January 22, 2016
I love it. I reading. all the books
January 14, 2016
best movie everrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
½ January 11, 2016
One of my Fav Vampire Movies!