Varsity Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Varsity Blues Reviews

August 27, 2017
This is a crazy football movie!
½ August 8, 2017
A clear product of the 90's, but still... it's a film you love for its nostalgia and not for its acting.
½ July 19, 2017
I do not want your life. Dawson is great in this movie fresh from the Creek. Whip cream bikini and football, what else do you want!?!?
½ June 17, 2017
While it has strange tonal shifts, Varsity Blues has a great sense of humor and a nice dramatic heart that don't mesh well but are both done wonderfully.
½ June 15, 2017
Predictable as it may be, the lead is too charming and Jon Voight is spectacular.
June 2, 2017
"They put them wieners on the glass at the Alano Club? No good." Nope, that's no good, but this movie is pretty darn good! I don't think it mixes the drama and slap-shticky comedy well, but I did end the movie with a smile on my face, so that works for me. I'm not a big fan of the Beek, but I am a huge fan of the whipped cream! And Billy Bob's recipe for breakfast - waffles dipped in peanut butter with a maple syrup chaser! Go Coyotes!
July 1, 2016
If you want to witness James Van Der Beek attempt to don a Texan accent for 106 minutes, you may not get another chance. While fun, it has all the signs of a stereotypical late-'90s teen movie. It's cheesy, telegraphed, cliched, crude--yet meaningful.

It follows a successful high school football team coached by Bud Kilmer (Jon Voight)--a man who basically runs the community. The small Texas town has already erected a bronze statue made in his likeness. The guy even controls the police to the point that his players can get away with stealing cop cars. That's how obsessed this community is with their high school football. It's all they have.

Mox (Van Der Beek) doesn't see it that way. He's the 2nd string quarterback and has plans to go to Brown University and put the sport behind him. But as soon as he's forced into the starting role, he enjoys soaking up all the attention.

Varsity Blues doesn't take too many risks--if any--but it has a lot to say. The script is deceptively good. It may be platitudinous in its dialogue and outcomes, but under the surface it makes some seldom-touched upon points.

The football scenes are some of the more realistic we've seen in movies up to this point, and it organically showcases the importance of football in some small towns in this country. It then proceeds to question that very importance, along with the aggrandizing of athletics in our schools altogether.

Subtly juxtaposing these ideals, we see Mox's little brother, who has an obsession with religions and practices a variety of them throughout the movie, much to his parent's disapproval.

It isn't perfect, but Varsity Blues holds up well. Voight gives us a compelling villain to despise and the film more nuanced that meets the eye. It made me nostalgic and I was entertained.

Twizard Rating: 83
½ May 4, 2016
Teen football drama that is a paint by numbers sports story.
April 19, 2016
When I watched this on its initial release all I remembered was Ali Larter in a whipped cream bikini. Same could be said some sixteen years later. Extremely predictable plot. Jon Voight is such a cunt as the coach and Dawson and the young cast make it enjoyable.
March 20, 2016
very good looking women
February 22, 2016
86%
Watched this on 22/2/16
Jon Voight is an underappreciated actor and he received a lot of razzies that he did not deserve, he just has a funny face, a kind of plastic surgery gone wrong face like Sylvester Stallone, though he isn't always as bad as Stallone. Anyway, Voight was good and provided much vigor to this film. It was well directed and this may be one of the only sports films that consider the sports going on in it to be not of such hefty significance. The film also balances its comedy and has a set of good characters, especially someone like Billy Bob.
December 10, 2015
One of the best football movies ever made. Period. Jon Voigt is so perfect as his role as Coach Kilmer and the surrounding cast is fantastic. 'Varsity Blues' does a great job depicting a small town who lives for football. It does a great job of demonstrating what football is like in general and the levels for the love of the game. One of the few times I can say...well done MTV, well done.
½ December 9, 2015
I do like James Van Der Beek, and this is a great showcase for him. The soundtrack to this film is also wicked with music from Green Day and The Foo Fighters. I found the film high on melodrama while lacking the substance to be a great sports drama.
November 30, 2015
Basically a cliched 90s football film, but still pretty damn entertaining. But then again, I'm a pretty big football fan, so this probably wouldn't be for everyone.
½ July 27, 2015
Another guilty pleasure...
½ May 28, 2015
Just a poorly made generic star vehicle for Van Der Beek....good luck James,with no acting chops you're going to need these.
May 17, 2015
A good teen flick, but also a cliche-filled sports story.
May 1, 2015
A movie about a high school football team, created by MTV, starring all the teen-heartthrobs of the late 90s, I couldn't have been more uninterested. For 17 years, I avoided seeing this film, I figured it would be a steaming pile full of good looking people with their shirts off, but after catching the ending on TV, I decided to check it out and I'm glad I did. In Texas, football is everything, even at the high school level. The West Canaan Coyotes are one of the best teams in the state, thanks to a hard nosed, old school coach, and an NFL bound Quarterback, but their perfect season takes a turn when the Quarterback goes down with a serious knee injury. The Coyotes are left in the hands of John Moxon (James Van Der Beek), a kid who hasn't taken a snap in three years, who is only on the team because of his father. The coach hates him, the town doubts him, but something amazing happens when Mox is on the field, he's actually good. James Van Der Beek stars and honestly, I always felt that he was too much into the whole teen-heartthrob persona, I never took him seriously as an actor, or envisioned him being good in a role like this. Just as the town was surprised by how good Mox was on the field, I was just as surprised by how good Van Der Beek was in this role. When you add Jon Voight to the equation, as the hard nosed coach, things really come together. The two men hate each other, but are forced to work together, it's this dynamic and tension behind the scenes that really makes the off the field action as interesting as what's taking place on the field. Varsity Blues is produced by MTV, stars actors I normally wouldn't watch, and as it turns out it is one of the most exciting and intense sports films I've ever seen. One of the things I love about films, is that you can never judge them based on anything else other than their content. On the surface, this is something I'd never watch, but happenstance brought me to it, and it's honestly one of the best football movies I've ever seen.
March 16, 2015
Good high school football movie, except that it has a lot of swearing and needless nudity which take away from it being a better movie.