Viceroy's House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Viceroy's House Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
Good history lesson of a big historical fairly recent story ...
September 18, 2017
Very good historical drama with a "wink" to Bollywood. A bit self serving for the British side... but worth seeing!
September 17, 2017
If you history, don't miss it!
September 15, 2017
A well-acted slice of history. It helps the modern viewer understand the facts behind the partition of Indian. A very touching film.
September 13, 2017
I don't think that all movies have to say something new because I feel that movies should make us see something in a different light. However, when neither of these is achieved, it's incredibly likely that the film in question is going to be a failure, as is the case with Viceroy's House. While director/co-writer Gurinder Chadha's heart is in the right place as made clear by the title cards before the end credits, her intentions don't come across in this mess. All of the characters are really just caricatures that are nigh impossibly to care about, and they're placed within utter vapidity. It's not just like two different movies smushed together; it feels like two different TV movies were smushed together, that was adapted into a miniseries, and then that was cut down to 106 minutes, robbing the story of almost all of its gravity. The movie follows the life of Lord Louis Mountbatten (Hugh Bonneville) and his wife, Lady Edwina (Gillian Anderson), who are living in the Viceroy's House in Delhi. Louis is overseeing India's transition into independence but has to deal with the social issues that arise, namely the clashes between Hindus and Muslims that lead to the formation of Pakistan. Meanwhile, Edwina is trying to improve the quality of life for citizens, concerned by their low mortality rate and illiteracy. All the while, there's a forbidden romance going on between the Mountbattens' new servant Jeet (Manish Dayal) and Hugh and Edwina's daughter's assistant Alia (Huma Qureshi). These two plots are connected in the most tenuous way possible, coming off as completely unrelated from each other. It's almost impressive how inconsequential a story line this can feel, but Chadha and her co-writers Paul Mayeda Berges and Moira Buffini demonstrate virtually no ability to juggle the characters and their respective journeys. As a result, the movie quickly desaturates itself, each person feeling like a one-sentence description of who they really should be. Those involved in British royalty are painted as typical savior figures, and the Indian characters are cardboard cutouts that feel sidelined from their own story. The perspective of the film is fundamentally flawed in that it sometimes seems to want to follow a split-protagonist narrative, but it can't connect either story or make them feel relevant, and its more often storytelling from the view of the British detached the viewers from those the events really affected. From a production standpoint, the film is fine, but again, it feels like a TV movie most of the time. The lighting is a bit inconsistent in terms of its aesthetics and it doesn't appear to be a motivation decision; some parts are flat while others have a respectable amount of definition to them. Bonneville is fine and Anderson is always nice to watch, but no one else onscreen is even sufficient material to prove their talents. What they are given is truly, very boring. It feels longer than its modest runtime and I will admit that I drifted off into sleep towards the end of act two. Viceroy's House is more of the cinematic equivalent of a Wikipedia synopsis than an actual piece of cinema. It's full and lacking the boisterous voice that it so desperately needed, both in the pre-production and production stages. With its dialogue going in circles and portrayal of events at times flippant, its emotional core is sorely lacking. It's an ironic failure, given those involved, but I guess it's nice that I'm a bit more awake after that nap I fell into in the theater. 3.7/10, really bad, D+, far below average, etc.
½ September 11, 2017
Very well done! ...a very important part of world history! Everyone should go and see this. Enjoyed this movie very much!
½ September 10, 2017
A wonderful opportunity to make a great film about a fascinating historical moment, botched by a poor script, and a mishmash of history's monumentality and cheap bolliwood romance. What a pity !
September 9, 2017
I had no awareness of how Pakistan originated nor that India was part of England's empire. Very interesting history lesson for me. Movie was well done, but probably just scratched the surface.
JC
½ September 8, 2017
Viceroy's House is a fine history lesson mashed in with a so-so romantic drama. Gambon is the actor's gold standard and Anderson really outshines a lackluster turn by Bonneville. The transition to a free India from the Brits reflected that religion seems to be the fly in the ointment for a peaceful transfer. (9-8-17)
½ September 7, 2017
Bad in every way - romantic plot makes no sense, premise of the film goes against what I've been reading for the past 40 years and the acting is stilted.
September 7, 2017
Good film. Interesting historical perspective of Mountbatten's role and the politics behind the decision to partition India (assuming it is accurate). Hollywood ending. Beautifully filmed and excellent acting. Really enjoyed it (except for the ending).
September 6, 2017
I have now watched it twice. Great movie, a real eye opener. I thought the split between Pakistan and India happened hundreds of years ago.
September 2, 2017
A sad reality of our beloved country
September 1, 2017
A great history lesson.
September 1, 2017
Gillian Anderson shines in this great film.
August 25, 2017
a political movie about the tolerance and communication between two nations
½ August 20, 2017
It's a good movie, but as it moves forward and things go really bad in India, there seems to be less and less detail to the story.
½ August 19, 2017
Dramatic. Draws you in, romance does not work.
½ August 13, 2017
An atrocious movie, I almost walked out of. Chadha has no idea, what she is doing. Nor has she any knowledge of history. It might be hip, to blame the partition on the English, but hip does not make factual. The lies about the partition are mixed with a boring lovestory but even those parts are terrible. Why did they cast Bonneville for that role? He looks nothing like Mountbatten. They succeeded to find fitting cast for the indians, though. Don't waste your time on this PoS!
August 8, 2017
7/8/17 watched with Zhang Zhang at Broome Sunlight Cinema

A good movie explaining Britain's exit from India and the events leading to the two state solution