Viceroy's House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Viceroy's House Reviews

January 20, 2018
This movie was engaging in the beginning but then became tiresomely melodramatic as it relentlessly dramatized conflicts between Hindus and Muslims. The film seems to be an effort to blame these religious conflicts on the British, an interesting rewriting of history considering that conflicts between Hindu and Muslims preceded the arrival of the British in India and continue to this day. The movie leaves one with the impression that India would be one happy, united family if the Viceroy had prevented the creation of Pakistan.
January 12, 2018
Very good historical recreation and drama piece.
½ December 21, 2017
Solid historical pageant that shows just enough graceful spectacle to lend historical gravitas to the tragic love story subtext that that tears us apart as sadly as the whole great empire does to its many millions.
½ December 17, 2017
Brilliant movie, though it breaks my heart to watch these types of films. Those dear souls who suffer greatly. Sad to find out these events in history took place, but glad the stories are told.
November 18, 2017
Interspersed with filmic scenes and actual newsreels from this momentous time in world history, Viceroy's House is a personal account of the Mountbatten Plan. Directed by Gurinder Chadha, suitably cast and luxe mis en scene, I thought it was introspective.
½ November 12, 2017
knowing the ending already prepares you for some of the inevitable heartache, but it was a new angle for me. foods performances all around.
October 19, 2017
When Gandhi spoke that all religions matter... I was in tears. Perhaps this movie is not perfect but the ideas and events it covers are as true today as then... Will we let our fear, distrust, and hatred of others and the desire for power tear us apart not as a nation but as a world? It showed a little known perspective on a world changing event that set the wheels in motion to end colonialism by any Western nation and yet those in power elated they were only pawns in an elaborate chess game. Perhaps subtly does not get the message across but thats what I liked about the film. What is so overlooked by so many "professional reviewers" is the US ambassador lurking about and his insidious role in fomenting division. Yes, the love interest can seem clumsy when it is set against such large scale event but that is what make is more motional rather than political and if we can touch the heart then we have a chance - playing politics is not the answer. Go see this film and see it for yourself.
October 16, 2017
Interesting part of history well acted
½ October 11, 2017
Victoria & Abdul - Hotel Rowanda - Lion
October 10, 2017
This movie is extremely well done. All of the acting was superb, especially by Gillian Anderson, who creates a warm and compassionate characterization of Mountbatten's wife. Go see it, and you will learn a lot about that period of history as well.
October 9, 2017
I really enjoyed it and I learned a few things to. I had no idea that it was Gillian Anderson in the role of the VIceroy's wife. She was excellent!
October 5, 2017
What a historical record and picture!
October 3, 2017
Good movie about a topic not told
September 30, 2017
A fascinating history of the partition of India woven in with a personal love story.
½ September 30, 2017
Bad in every way - romantic plot makes no sense, premise of the film goes against what I've been reading for the past 40 years and the acting is stilted.
September 27, 2017
Interesting as a history lesson of what transpired in the transfer of power from Britain's mighty empire to independent India and the forming of Pakistan. As drama it dragged and was tedious at times. Probably worth seeing if you're inclined to like historical films. Hugh Bonneville is excellent as usual.
September 26, 2017
Outstanding!! A real story.
September 24, 2017
absolutely one of best pictures i've seen for a long time.
September 23, 2017
Just simply amazing. Great acting. Really learned a lot from watching this movie. I am so glad we went to see it.
September 22, 2017
Excellent portrayal of the turmoil during the end of British rule and the partition of India. Strong acting as well from Hugh Bonneville and Gillian Anderson and other key characters.