The Virgin Suicides - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Virgin Suicides Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Tragedy wins the day in this haunting melodrama. A coming of age story where nobody comes of age. Great soundtrack for yacht rock nostalgia.
November 25, 2016
For some reason this film just cast a spell over me the first time I saw it and it's stayed there ever since.
November 13, 2016
Great soundtrack and has individual scenes which capture the awkwardness of the teenage experience. But still doesn't quite work as a film - possibly because the book left open the possibility that much of what was narrated simply never happened as it was told.
August 11, 2016
Just plain and simple . . Not good.
½ August 7, 2016
A very strange and unusual story, where the puzzles are many and the logic underminded. The bizarrness of it all end out blaming christianity itself for endless tragedy.
July 29, 2016
Like many other industries the filmmaking business has is cases of nepotism but the most noticeable is the Coppola family, with the biggest being Francis´ daughter Sofia as she has managed to make a name for herself in the same profession as her father before her, starting with the adaptation of the best-selling novel "The Virgin Suicides".

The story revolves around the Lisbon family which is composed by an overprotective and highly religious mother, a dorky father and five daughters (with their age range being from 13 to 17 years old). One day Cecilia, the youngest of the daughters, commits suicide for mysterious reasons so the entire neighborhood is focused on the family.

With a title like that this film falls into the category of 'depressive films' (like "Requiem for a Dream") but regardless of the subject matter´s nature you have to admit that Sofia Coppola´s debut is a confident one. "The Virgin Suicides" has solid performances with the obvious highlight being Dunst, the pacing is 100% centered in buildup and it fulfills this task wonderfully, the camerawork is solid, confident and it knows how to provide information to the viewer, an ending that is more than predictable (I mean it is in the film´s name for Christ Sake) and flirts with pretentious territory but is executed carefully (for obvious reasons) and that execution is worth all the buildup, and while the story isn't as well written as they want you to think it is still intriguing to watch the progression of the girls. However despite the things this film gets right, the characters lack any character trait whatsoever (they aren't even in stereotypes levels) so there is no emotional investment in the story. But my main issue with this film is ironically Sofia´s directing as it goes for the lowest common denominator. Sure she provides some solid camerawork but regardless I find it girlish and too literal, I mean the color have pastel look to them but as the film progresses they get more and more muted (so you won't miss the fact that the story is getting to its dark conclusion), the way she photographed the Lisbon girls (specially Kristen Dunst) is so dreamy like (I get that they are supposed to be the hottest girls of the neighborhood but that would be made clear if the script was better) and her painfully literal use of music (don't get me wrong I like most of the songs inhere but the decision to include them is just dumb. ´Look, this is the popular cool guy so let's play Heart´s "Magic Man" in his introduction scene´ or ´This scene where the characters are falling in love is a little too subtle, what if we play Heart's "Crazy on You" on top of it?´) with the exception of one scene where is actually needed for story reasons.

"The Virgin Suicides" is a confident debut for Sofia Coppola as it is moody and well crafted, but its hollow and bland characters take away any emotional impact and I have already complained about her directorial choices (which I know are her trademarks but I still don't like them). A film that's more focused on making a statement on its subject matter rather than telling a compelling story.
½ July 15, 2016
While pacing can be a bit slow, Coppola trims the Virgin Suicides into a dark movie that engages the viewer every step of the way.
June 27, 2016
Picture of 70s american home. Subtle, well paced, artisticly original.
May 31, 2016
most definitely sofias worst movie. trite and forced and way too much voice over. I want my 97 minutes back.
April 30, 2016
76%????!!!!!!????!!!! IT WAS WAAAAYYYY BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ April 23, 2016
This eerie and dreamlike story of suburbia is wonderfully compelling. Perhaps a stretch from reality, the film still feels incredibly familiar.
January 24, 2016
One of my all-time favorite films, and one of the strongest directorial debuts ever. It is only bested by Sofia's later masterpieces, but I can watch this over and over and it never loses an ounce of its haunting magic. A worthy adaptation, as well.
January 15, 2016
There is barely any character development and that's the point. The sisters are seemingly interchangeable. You won't know who is who half of the time but it makes it so interesting. You watch the whole movie knowing what's going to happen but you still get wrapped up in their lives. You pray it won't happen even though it's inevitable. The idea leaves you with a melancholy taste that lasts the entire movie and it doesn't end when it's over.
January 8, 2016
Sofia Coppola was born in '71, so it isn't plausible that she has genuine memories of 1974 when this film takes place. I'm not sure I do either. But the music from this period carried on for quite some time, particularly on the radio. Coppola makes good use of music in the film, both as sonic wallpaper and to cue important moments, as Scorsese is also wont to do. It also becomes part of the plot when the boys trade songs with the Lisbon girls over the telephone later in the movie. I'm remembering Heart, Styx, maybe early Bee Gees or Carpenters. Even now, these songs trigger a lot of sentiment in me, even a sort of free-floating kind without real memories attached. Of course, Coppola wrote her script about the five young girls who eventually commit suicide from a pre-existing book. But the style with which she imbues the film is her own and it is refreshing and a delight. Kirsten Dunst takes a star-making turn or at least the camera gives her significant air time in a hazy sunlit seventies way so that she is the de facto star. James Woods and Kathleen Turner make good constipated parents who cause all the problems. Now that we've seen the trajectory of Coppola's films, I guess we can say that her focus on style might have diminishing returns but you never can tell.
½ December 27, 2015
Sofia Coppola's directorial debut is a dark, depressing film that understands female adolescence like few others I've seen.
½ December 19, 2015
The movie was fractured, messy, and weird. In addition, the film was confusing and the acting was awful. The awkwardness of the actors made the scenes insufferable to watch. I would never want to see this movie again.
October 9, 2015
Burgeoning female sexuality is simultaneously explored and mystified in Sofia Coppola's tender and emotional bear debut film about a group of sisters becoming women and the boys who tried to understand them from afar. Cecilia was the first to go.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Virgin Suicides is a sweet-bitter story. The sweet is the style, vibe, whimsy, and humor throughout. The end is bitter and the film is not a comedy. Whether or not you enjoy the film will be largely down to taste. Recommended to those who have enjoyed Lost In Translation, American Beauty, Coen Brothers films, or Wes Andersen films.
September 4, 2015
One of the best movies ever.