Waitress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waitress Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
Quirky and original. Well acted. On the negative and offensive side, is its disparaging depiction of men and promotion of infidelity.
September 30, 2016
What a simply adorable and sweet movie. I'll admit, the affair Jenna had with her doctor seemed a little far fetched at points, but the whole film a certain bit of Southern charm to it. By the end, I fell in love with all the characters. It is a very girly movie and I recommend it to any woman who is feeling down on her luck.
½ September 22, 2016
How is a film able to balance such a quirky style with its adult elements and still seem perfect? There are a couple of reasons. First, the script is great. It has a lot of laughs to combat the drama. Second, the characters are great. The supporting characters (save for the douchey husband) start off as caricatures and evolve into real characters. But Keri and Nathan are the best ones, the former we are willing to follow through her character's insane yet mundane life. Finally, the direction is great. It knows exactly how to deliver the right amount of sass and the right amount of truth. Adrienne Shelley's film is one sardonic film with a bittersweet touch and taste to it.
½ June 27, 2016
I must admit I had my qualms about seeing this flick but I was told to watch it.  I don't regret it.  The movie begins with the joyous news of a pregnancy.  The only problem is Jenna (Keri Russell) hates her husband Earl (Jeremy Sisto) and is planning on leaving him.  She's been stashing money  to make this dream a reality.  And rightly so.  Earl is a huge dick.  He lays on the horn when picking Jenna up.  Everything he says is intended to make Jenna feel bad about something inconsequential.  She's allowed no car nor is she allowed to go anywhere but work.  During one scene he continually forcefully shoves her face.  Things begin to look up for Jenna when she starts sleeping with Dr. Pomatter, her gynecologist.  Supposedly Dr. Pomatter (Nathan Fillion) is unhappily married but that is never explored and he becomes Jenna's much needed best friend.  Keri Russell is beyond believable as the unhappy Jenna and Jeremy Sisto really makes you hate him.  Nathan Fillion bumbles along but I wondered what the hell was up with his hair?  Andy Griffith stars as Old Joe.  He's wonderful and delivers some really great scenes (one turned on the water works) despite the fact he's like a hundred.  Not only for the awesomeness that it is but also as a fellow pie lover (recipes featured) I say pick up Waitress.
June 23, 2016
Eye opening film, very entertaining.
June 23, 2016
Quirky bittersweet comedy that was fairly enjoyable whilst not laugh out loud funny or capable or generating much of an emotional pull.
May 27, 2016
Actress Adrienne Shelly's first-and-last directorial effort (it was released post-humously, after her tragic death), is a bitter-sweet send-off for the indie favorite. While shot in a style similar to that of her mentor Hal Hartley, Shelly forgoes the philosophical trysts of his films, and instead incorporates a sense of whimsy and nostalgia that gives the film the tone of a contemporary fairy tale. Not to say that the film is shallow though, as Waitress carries universal themes about womanhood and unexpected virtues, and not once comes off as heavy-handed. Waitress also is augmented by it's delectable cast, that all understand how to be quirky, yet believable for the film's ethos, with Keri Russell proving she's much more than just a pretty face here. Cine-philes aren't likely to be seeing this one as a masterpiece, as its pat for sure, but fans of thoughtful indie films will do themselves a real treat by visiting this one.
½ May 19, 2016
I'm giving this movie any positive rating at all because it does have a Pro-Life message! You heard me right. Pro-life. Who would have thought, in this day and age. Keri Russell and Nathan Filion are both fine actors but that's where my praise ends. This film is littered with praising the wrong things, condoning the wrong things, and baking the wrong things into the most delectable innocent-looking sweet WRONG THING! What were the filmmakers thinking? There isn't one decent man in this film, even Andy Griffith's character is sullied in some way and his voice was a joy to listen to - ok, one last positive thing - but the film is full of people choosing the wrong things, given a slap on the wrist and then everything simply works out in the end. Lessons aren't learned, consequences aren't real, there's some crying, some frustration and yes her husband is terrible (but the doctor's wife isn't, yuck too many affairs happening). This stuff in real life would have more far-reaching effect on the lives and souls of those involved. I don't recommend watching the film. Divorce, 4 people in affairs, selfishness, some patience yes, but all toward selfish means. Me me me. It can't do anything for culture other than say put yourself first, don't do anything too bad, but put yourself first. I obviously want films with conflict, drama, bad choices, but I also want stories to inspire us real people to forgive, work towards righteousness, fidelity, marriage. It's very reflective of a culture that still has a remnant of a conscience but mostly it's do what feels good. The small positives in this film are outweighed by the triumphant victory of divorce, sex, but ok ok yes a baby girl. I won't deny that showing the power of a newborn life and the affect of that child on us grown up fools is visceral and should be shared. So don't see the film, just know kids are awesome, even when unplanned.
½ May 9, 2016
Keri Russell is phenomenal in it, sucking you into the mood of the whole film. The film's quirky style never feels too much and the emotion is always authentic and just in place. If only there were more female protagonists as beautifully written as this.
½ May 8, 2016
I really really enjoyed this. Regret that I never knew about it sooner. Nathan Fillion is hilarious. Yes, one could say the tone is "uneven", but *it works*. If you want to feel good when a movie ends, see this. Although, I admit Keri Russell 'loses' her accent occasionally.
April 13, 2016
What a cast! My favorite was Andy Griffith playing such a curmudgeon. The film was sadder than anticipated, but had plenty of humor as well. A bit of a rushed and strange conclusion, but worth watching.
April 11, 2016
I just really love Jeremy Sisto. He was always my favorite in Suburgatory.

But that aside (hehehe) I watched this because the musical's coming up and I've been listening to the songs on repeat for days now. I wouldn't exactly say this is my favorite romcom but it is sweet and quirky enough for me to enjoy it's length! Also, ALL THOSE PIES. My mouth was watering.
March 20, 2016
An alright movie. Not that impressed.
March 19, 2016
Crazy for Keri Russell
February 23, 2016
Look at her pretty face and you might assume she has it all. You might assume that she has a loving husband, that she loves her job, that she's content being the small town girl that she is. But she has everything but it all. She's unhappily married to a looker that just so happens to be unpredictable and sometimes abusive, she only sort of likes her job, and is okay with her white picket fence existence but would prefer it if it weren't so damn unfulfilling. The one thing she really enjoys doing is baking pies; she easily invents one everyday, basing their unique ingredients off the hardships and/or joys she faces on a day to day basis. Her name is Jenna, and she's a waitress.
But trouble is brewing. While she isn't quite happy with her reality, she's doing well enough - so imagine her surprise when she discovers that she's pregnant. She doesn't want to have a baby; at least not right now, having a brute of a husband and wanting nothing more than to leave him immediately. She considers her options. She can (a) have an abortion, (b) give the child up for adoption, (c) move to another state and raise the baby on her own, or (d) throw her hands up in surrender and start a dysfunctional family with the man of her nightmares. At first, she's most inclined to undergo a combination of b and c, but after going through the motions of ultrasounds and frequent visits to the doctor, she finds herself actually wanting this child. How she'll raise it is a conflict.
Things are especially complicated when she spontaneously begins having an affair with her physician, Jim (Nathan Fillion), and when she begins recording her thoughts on life and love to someday give to her unborn child. Throughout her nine months does she get to know herself better than before, her spitfire ways no longer tucked away in mild-manneredness; she's going to have a good life someday, and we have a feeling that she knows it too. To get away from her current one is the only thing stopping her from reinventing herself.
In the years since its release in 2007, "Waitress" has frequently been compared to Martin Scorsese's often ignored "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" (1974) and the sitcom that followed it, "Alice" (1976-1985), and I can think of no comparison more fitting. Parallel in their ability to make us want to hug ourselves during much of its length, and their capability to make bittersweetness ring as true as moments of authentic dramatic agony, they're all versatile, lovable works. One forgets how difficult it is to translate delight onto the screen without coming across as artificial.
"Waitress" is a lovely little film, and the fact that it was the first and only major directorial/writing project from actress Adrienne Shelly is enraging. Before it was ever released, she was, in a twist of fate, brutally murdered, never to see her film receive the critical acclaim it so deeply deserved. The amiability of the film is heightened and perhaps even a little darkened because of the tragedy that hovers over its name; this is a work that suggests that Shelly could have had a long, prosperous career as a filmmaker. Not a decent-to-average but nevertheless acceptable movie made by an actor wanting to try different things, "Waitress" is genuinely something special, a reintroduction to an outstanding talent with the potential to be a second Nora Ephron. A beautiful legacy it is - we can only fantasize about the great things Shelly would have accomplished in her lifetime had her life not been taken so abruptly.
Because this is a film that has the substance to back up its whimsical tendencies; Shelly has written a cast of characters all three-dimensional and lived in. Notice how she makes the abusive husband role also have saltings of vulnerability rarely seen in film, how its titular waitress is followed around by two gal pals quirky but also human themselves, and how the man with whom she has the affair is nice and handsome but also devoted to his responsibilities, as most are. We're witnesses to complex, if sometimes rosy, lives, and Shelly makes such conceptions seem fluent. But best of all is her waitress, Jenna Hunterson, who is played by Russell with multi-faceted distinction and who is one of the best female characters of the 2000s. Feisty but also careful and smart, we come to love the flawed Jenna, from the way she obsessively bakes pies to escape her problems to the way she remains in control in every sort of situation. Russell is magnificent, and we have Shelly to thank for providing her with a detailed, heartfelt role.
Films like "Waitress" come around all too rarely; directors and writers are perhaps too scared to tread in sugary waters, afraid that, in an attempt to be both sticky and sweet, they'll still seem soft and fattening. Not "Waitress." A wonderful film as subtly funny as it is warm and realistically dramatic, it's a fine example of fluff going far and wide. Turns out you can be amusing and congenial without floating away into the wind, without being forgotten by its audiences days after initial viewing. Surprise.
½ January 10, 2016
Terrible. I don't know who gave this enough stars for it to average out in the high 80's. This movie was sloooooowww and pointless. The storyline was not engaging, the love story (or rather stories) were lackluster and the whole thing was a huge waste of my life. If I could give this zero stars I would. The half star goes to Andy Griffith because he was the only one worth watching. I don't ever want to see another pie again. It had potential to be a great film but like a 50 cent Mc Donald's apple pie it did not deliver any satisfaction and you will regret eating it later.
½ January 4, 2016
I really. really loved this movie. A lot more than ever I expected to.

I have Sara Bareilles to thank for me seeking it out.
½ December 27, 2015
Wonderful movie; it may not look like much just looking from the outside, but it is cleverly written and acted. Pie is a BIG deal at the diner Andy Griffith owns. Watch this one, and you won't regret it; in fact, you'll recommend it to friends, too.
½ November 22, 2015
was good but the ending was too happy...