Waitress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waitress Reviews

August 23, 2017
One of the best love comedy (if not the best) I have ever watched. Keri Russel in the role is amazing, and together with a very great story and cocharacters gives it a rare and fine touch to the movie.
August 15, 2017
Highly likable, mostly through Shelly's script and Russell's performance. Unlike most romantic comedies, the central narrative isn't a love story but rather a single character's journey to self-esteem.
½ May 29, 2017
What an excellent film.
January 7, 2017
Such a calm and sweet movie, except for the cheating part. But it's so nice to go on a journey with her together and proud to see her standing tall and strong on her own!
December 20, 2016
Surprisingly funny and sweet
½ October 8, 2016
Quirky and original. Well acted. On the negative and offensive side, is its disparaging depiction of men and promotion of infidelity.
September 30, 2016
What a simply adorable and sweet movie. I'll admit, the affair Jenna had with her doctor seemed a little far fetched at points, but the whole film a certain bit of Southern charm to it. By the end, I fell in love with all the characters. It is a very girly movie and I recommend it to any woman who is feeling down on her luck.
½ September 22, 2016
How is a film able to balance such a quirky style with its adult elements and still seem perfect? There are a couple of reasons. First, the script is great. It has a lot of laughs to combat the drama. Second, the characters are great. The supporting characters (save for the douchey husband) start off as caricatures and evolve into real characters. But Keri and Nathan are the best ones, the former we are willing to follow through her character's insane yet mundane life. Finally, the direction is great. It knows exactly how to deliver the right amount of sass and the right amount of truth. Adrienne Shelley's film is one sardonic film with a bittersweet touch and taste to it.
½ June 27, 2016
I must admit I had my qualms about seeing this flick but I was told to watch it.  I don't regret it.  The movie begins with the joyous news of a pregnancy.  The only problem is Jenna (Keri Russell) hates her husband Earl (Jeremy Sisto) and is planning on leaving him.  She's been stashing money  to make this dream a reality.  And rightly so.  Earl is a huge dick.  He lays on the horn when picking Jenna up.  Everything he says is intended to make Jenna feel bad about something inconsequential.  She's allowed no car nor is she allowed to go anywhere but work.  During one scene he continually forcefully shoves her face.  Things begin to look up for Jenna when she starts sleeping with Dr. Pomatter, her gynecologist.  Supposedly Dr. Pomatter (Nathan Fillion) is unhappily married but that is never explored and he becomes Jenna's much needed best friend.  Keri Russell is beyond believable as the unhappy Jenna and Jeremy Sisto really makes you hate him.  Nathan Fillion bumbles along but I wondered what the hell was up with his hair?  Andy Griffith stars as Old Joe.  He's wonderful and delivers some really great scenes (one turned on the water works) despite the fact he's like a hundred.  Not only for the awesomeness that it is but also as a fellow pie lover (recipes featured) I say pick up Waitress.
June 23, 2016
Eye opening film, very entertaining.
June 23, 2016
Quirky bittersweet comedy that was fairly enjoyable whilst not laugh out loud funny or capable or generating much of an emotional pull.
May 27, 2016
Actress Adrienne Shelly's first-and-last directorial effort (it was released post-humously, after her tragic death), is a bitter-sweet send-off for the indie favorite. While shot in a style similar to that of her mentor Hal Hartley, Shelly forgoes the philosophical trysts of his films, and instead incorporates a sense of whimsy and nostalgia that gives the film the tone of a contemporary fairy tale. Not to say that the film is shallow though, as Waitress carries universal themes about womanhood and unexpected virtues, and not once comes off as heavy-handed. Waitress also is augmented by it's delectable cast, that all understand how to be quirky, yet believable for the film's ethos, with Keri Russell proving she's much more than just a pretty face here. Cine-philes aren't likely to be seeing this one as a masterpiece, as its pat for sure, but fans of thoughtful indie films will do themselves a real treat by visiting this one.
½ May 19, 2016
I'm giving this movie any positive rating at all because it does have a Pro-Life message! You heard me right. Pro-life. Who would have thought, in this day and age. Keri Russell and Nathan Filion are both fine actors but that's where my praise ends. This film is littered with praising the wrong things, condoning the wrong things, and baking the wrong things into the most delectable innocent-looking sweet WRONG THING! What were the filmmakers thinking? There isn't one decent man in this film, even Andy Griffith's character is sullied in some way and his voice was a joy to listen to - ok, one last positive thing - but the film is full of people choosing the wrong things, given a slap on the wrist and then everything simply works out in the end. Lessons aren't learned, consequences aren't real, there's some crying, some frustration and yes her husband is terrible (but the doctor's wife isn't, yuck too many affairs happening). This stuff in real life would have more far-reaching effect on the lives and souls of those involved. I don't recommend watching the film. Divorce, 4 people in affairs, selfishness, some patience yes, but all toward selfish means. Me me me. It can't do anything for culture other than say put yourself first, don't do anything too bad, but put yourself first. I obviously want films with conflict, drama, bad choices, but I also want stories to inspire us real people to forgive, work towards righteousness, fidelity, marriage. It's very reflective of a culture that still has a remnant of a conscience but mostly it's do what feels good. The small positives in this film are outweighed by the triumphant victory of divorce, sex, but ok ok yes a baby girl. I won't deny that showing the power of a newborn life and the affect of that child on us grown up fools is visceral and should be shared. So don't see the film, just know kids are awesome, even when unplanned.
½ May 9, 2016
Keri Russell is phenomenal in it, sucking you into the mood of the whole film. The film's quirky style never feels too much and the emotion is always authentic and just in place. If only there were more female protagonists as beautifully written as this.
½ May 8, 2016
I really really enjoyed this. Regret that I never knew about it sooner. Nathan Fillion is hilarious. Yes, one could say the tone is "uneven", but *it works*. If you want to feel good when a movie ends, see this. Although, I admit Keri Russell 'loses' her accent occasionally.
April 13, 2016
What a cast! My favorite was Andy Griffith playing such a curmudgeon. The film was sadder than anticipated, but had plenty of humor as well. A bit of a rushed and strange conclusion, but worth watching.
April 11, 2016
I just really love Jeremy Sisto. He was always my favorite in Suburgatory.

But that aside (hehehe) I watched this because the musical's coming up and I've been listening to the songs on repeat for days now. I wouldn't exactly say this is my favorite romcom but it is sweet and quirky enough for me to enjoy it's length! Also, ALL THOSE PIES. My mouth was watering.
March 20, 2016
An alright movie. Not that impressed.
March 19, 2016