Warcraft - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warcraft Reviews

½ August 19, 2017
not bad i wouldnt mind seeing a sequel.
August 17, 2017
With such an impressive amount of talent both behind and in front of the camera, it's difficult to imagine how this could have gone so wrong. Unfortunately, 'Warcraft' seems to have fallen victim to the ol' VFX-over-substance cliché Hollywood is so very guilty of far too often, nowadays. Although the story had potential, it was full of unnecessary elements that only bloated it out rather than enhance it, but the main offender was the awfully bland and cliché characters. There should have been far more fleshing out and development throughout the film, but without either of those, it is exceptionally hard to build a connection between them and the audience. The result is an ineffectual, VFX-fuelled blockbuster with only a few epic moments that served as high points. A sequel seems to have been heavily hinted at, but maybe they should hold their horses and Griffins on that one.

Full disclosure: I don't know anything about WoW and have never played it -- perhaps this film is infinitely more enjoyable if you're a fan of the game.
August 7, 2017
Yes it's messy and cause I never played the games,some things were confusing for me,but I even after that had tons of fun,and actually got interested in the Warcraft universe.
July 26, 2017
Terrible, just so not worth 2 hours... the acting is way over the top, the story is so boring, and by the time the twist came I had already lost interest.
July 26, 2017
Too much in too little time with too narrow an appeal. The visuals will pleasure the devotees, but not their friends or family.
July 23, 2017
The story may have lacked in plot and drama, but it more than made up for it with eye candy and delivering the goods to the fans of Warcraft.
July 23, 2017
Need a sequel.
And a extended cut.
½ July 22, 2017
The world of Warcraft is a massive franchise created by Blizzard Entertainment back in 1994. I say world, but maybe I should say universe because world simply seems too small for this sprawling product. Warcraft is mainly made up of five core videogames for PC's which revolve around; online multiplayer role-play, strategies and digital card collecting. But it doesn't end there, the franchise also includes novels, comics, manga, tabletop games, collectible cards etc...Now some may recognise a similarity to Games Worskshop's [i]Warhammer[/i] franchise, and I don't blame you. Legend has it Blizzard originally wanted to make Warcraft a game set in the Warhammer universe, but things just didn't work out. And as they say, the rest is history.

So onto the movie and trying to condense this ginormous Tolkien-esque universe into a reasonable length runtime. Basically what we have here is a story from two perspectives, one from the human side and one from the orc side. On the orc side of things, Draenor, the orc homeworld is being destroyed by a power called fel magic. So the all powerful (and nasty) orc warlock Gul'dan (Daniel Wu) opens a portal to the realm of Azeroth (where humans live). Obviously their aim is to conquer this new realm/world, and make it their own. On the flip side the humans that dwell within this realm are none too happy about this, so they take up arms against the orcs. On the orc side we follow Durotan (Toby Kebbell), chieftain of the Frostwolf clan and a generally level-headed orc. Durotan isn't too sure about Gul'dan's evil plans. And on the human side...well we follow many characters, Kings, knights, mages etc...

Dare I mention an amusingly unfortunate parallel? You know, masses of invaders swarming across a foreign land occupied by a predominantly white people (clearly of medieval European influence). Obviously this is a large coincidence, but the minute it dawned on me I had to laugh.

The huge worry with this movie (for me) was whether or not I would be able to become engaged in the story not knowing that much about the Warcraft franchise. I know of the franchise, the basics, but I've never played the games or read the books etc...I'm pretty sure this would be the general worry for all, how could they squeeze all this information into one opening movie without overwhelming people. What about people who are newbies to the franchise. Well in all honesty they don't really address this problem too well in my opinion as questins are raised almost immediately.

OK so fel magic is destroying the orc world, right...what's fel magic then? Unless I missed it (which is entirely possible) they don't actually explain what this mysterious force is. What happens to the orc world of Draenor? Does it end up being completely uninhabitable? How does Gul'dan know of Azeroth? I realise he's a powerful sorcerer but are these different realms/worlds common knowledge to orcs? Did Gul'dan know that humans lived there? Again I realise Gul'dan is a bad guy but maybe they could of entered Azeroth and used diplomacy? Or maybe he could of found a realm/world that didn't have lifeforms living in it? I know some of these points would negate the whole point of the movie but I'm just throwing them out there ya know.

There were also other small plot devices that just didn't seem too well explained to me. Fel magic seems to be the bane of the orcs, seeing as its destroying their homeworld, yet they also rely on it quite a lot. Gul'dan appears to use it all the time, in fact his powers seem to revolve around fel magic. He uses it to harvest souls from captives (the Draenei, another species on Draenor) in order to power the portal through to Azeroth. He also uses it to save Durotan's baby when it is stillborn. So it does appear that fel magic can be used for many things, good or bad depending how you look at it. But again later on in the movie, Medivh the guardian of Tirisfal (Ben Foster, a goodie), somehow becomes infected with fel magic and it consumes him, turning him into a powerful demon. But why a demon? How does this magic work exactly? Are there any limitations? Does the magic have a natural leaning towards good or evil, or does it depend on who uses it?

Leaving fel magic aside, what about the rest, the visuals? Well I have to say I really enjoyed what I saw, much to my amazement. The orcs do actually look really good in a comicbook kinda way. Let me explain, basically Warcraft has a lot in common with Games Workshop's Warhammer; and Warhammer fantasy has a very comicbook-esque/graphic novel-like vibe about it, I think. By that I mean its very lively, bold, stylised, highly detailed and outlandish. Its all very different to the darker and more serious tone in Tolkien's work. The orcs in this movie have that highly stylised, highly detailed look about them which is both over the top and genuinely fun to look at. I loved how each orc had his own unique armour, some adorned with trophies; weapons, haircuts, horns, facial features, skin colour, battle or clan standards etc...Orc chieftain Blackhand (Clancy Brown) was a good example with his matching trophies of some creatures skull and spinal column upon each shoulder.

The CGI was really solid for the orcs I felt, they really had a lot of weight to them and they genuinely looked intimidating. In turn this did make the battles against the humans kinda daft because I really couldn't help but feel the orcs would/should be squatting the humans like flies. Sure the orcs are slower but the human knights were encased in heavy armour so they would be slow too. Surely the orcs would just sweep through the human ranks no sweat, hell even a horse was no match for a regular orc. I must also give kudos for the design work on the knights of Stormwind, along with all the other characters magical or otherwise. I really liked the costume designs, colours, patterns, armour, weapons etc...It all looked really great, very colourful and again very comicbook-esque. I honesty loved how the knights looked, really brought back memories of [i]The Empire[/i] from Warhammer.

I think the only thing that did look completely off in the movie was the character of Garona Halforcen (Paula Patton), half-orc half-draenei (but spoke English?). This character was not CGI but the actress under heavy makeup, or so you would think. Unfortunately this makeup looked very hokey with the silly fangs sticking out of her mouth; it literally looked like they just sprayed her up with green body paint. Mind you the all CGI dwarfs looked a tad iffy too, as did the elves with their long thin ears and glowing eyes. But still despite the amount of CGI in this movie I can't believe I'm reporting that most of it was actually pretty fine. Much was obviously CGI but nothing terrible, your standard large CGI creatures/animals were all passable if obvious. I did quite like the large wolves the orcs rode, again harking back to my Warhammer days here.

I'm not gonna lie and say this movie was plain sailing, far from it. There are a shit load of peculiar names, magical terms, species/race names, location names etc...that will confuse and disorient you. Many of the characters will refer to places, events and characters that will mean nothing. Much of the time you will forget who's called what, or who or what they're talking about (unless you're a fanboy of course). There is a large cast here and their characters all have generally odd names. Some of the cast don't really work, some surprisingly do, but overall the choice to use mostly unknown or little known actors was a very good decision, voice work and live action.

Whether or not the hardcore fanbase was pleased with this I don't really know. Would a newbie to this world be engaged? I think so yes. I firmly believe this fantasy does tick all the boxes most fans of the genre would expect to see, on a satisfactory level. Durotan is a likeable...umm...greenish monster, a solid late in the day hero. Gul'dan is your typically evil pantomime-esque villain with a deep gravely voice (also covered in lots of bone trophies and horns). Garona does the divided loyalties bit with aplomb. Ben Foster's wizard Medivh spouts enough mystical mumbo jumbo to please any avid [i]Dungeons & Dragons[/i] fanboy. You've also got a stoic King and Queen, and of course the main handsome hero (and poor mans Aragorn) Anduin Lothar, played by Travis Fimmel.

The movie isn't as wide in scope as the Tolkien universe, it does feel a bit confined to a few locations, mainly some interiors and battlegrounds. You can see a lot in the visually pleasing backgrounds, but that's all you get, pretty backgrounds. You never really feel like this world is explored much. The action is brutal and fun, but not bloody or gory which was a bit disappointing with all the mega sized orc weapons. The heavy CGI is excellent in places but somewhat insubstantial in others (there is of course a tonne of flashing, glowing magical effects and greenscreen). And lastly the main problem is the array of human characters that are generally generic and lifeless, in short you don't really care about them.

Yet despite the numerous faults with this huge huge fantasy franchise undertaking, I liked what I saw. Yes as strange as it may seem, I did like and enjoy this movie...and I can't quite put my finger on why. Probably the combination of the visuals, various details and some lovely bits of stylistic flair from director Duncan Jones. Wrap all that in a nice warm blanket of nostalgia from my old table top Warhammer gaming days; and I actually find myself liking this bloated CGI stuffed Hollywood blockbuster.
July 19, 2017
This film reminds me of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and I think this is cool :)
July 18, 2017
It sad to see that American didn't like WarCraft. Right on China! This movie follow the origin of the game began. The movie started the way it did to leave holes in for sequels and pre-quels. It was the best movie of 2016.
July 18, 2017
it's just a movie you turn your brain off to and watch the pretty shit happen and for that I enjoyed it a lot
July 18, 2017
Loved the movie. It was actually better than LOTR for me. convincing acting, great plot, wonderful visual effects, very entertaining. Would love a sequel. Only sad Medhev, Duraton and Draka died.
Considering the movie's ending, it should have a sequel.
July 18, 2017
Wonderful movie. Watching it for the second time since I could only get my hands on it now. :P Great acting, great visual effects, great plot. Just a perfectly made, very entertaining movie. would love a sequel. Sorry Medhev dies though, loved Ben Foster's acting. Duraton's and Draka's deaths were also sad. Considering how they left the movie it should have a sequel.
½ July 17, 2017
Although this movie looks good with great CGI,art direction and visual treats, the plot is rather simplistic, the characters not well developed and rather flat, the plot not exactly mesmerizing, so that even with a lot of action, I felt myself removed for it and rather bored by the whole thing.
½ July 17, 2017
the movie was a lil slow but it was cool but I didn't like main orc of frost giant charcter that died plus lady orc die so I hope they make a part 2 and please make it much better then part 1
July 15, 2017
This film is great. rotten tomatoes is very, very wrong with this one. Just because it's based on a video game. Watch it and judge for your self's.
July 15, 2017
It's ok, it could have been better though
July 13, 2017
433 million in one year. So much for the critics hehehe .
½ July 10, 2017
This movie is exactly what you'd expect it to be: fun for fans of the game, terrible for everyone else. It was made for a very specific kind of nerd, and you already know if that's you. As one of those nerds, I actually enjoyed it. It was such a delight to see the locations that I know and love from the game on the big screen... I was as giddy as a schoolgirl, clapping and shrieking the names of the places as they appeared. The story is a mostly faithful interpretation of the lore behind the game, specifically the First War that brings the Orcs to Azeroth and their subsequent conflict with the Humans and their allies. So, it's yet another origin story. Even in the game, this stuff is ancient history. This movie was stuck in development hell for years, and as a result, it was released about 8 years too late. The game has progressed so far past the events depicted in this movie, this story lost its relevance long ago. Even so, it was fun to see it play out, and the Orcs' story was surprisingly well developed. They were way more sympathetic characters than their human counterparts, who were all flat and one-note. The effects and CGI are cool, the overall story is interesting, and I was surprised to find myself invested in the both the story and characters. That being said, this movie is pretty damn cheesy. The direction is ham-handed, the story doesn't flow well, and I'm sure it would be hard for anyone not acquainted with the World of Warcraft to figure out what the hell was going on. And then there are the over-the-top performances of everyone who wasn't motion-captured (i.e. all the humans). I'm not sure which was worse, the dialogue or the acting, but either way, this movie boasts some pretty awful performances, and this from otherwise respectable actors (i.e. Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, and Paula Patton, who are all inexplicably in this movie). And the guy who plays the lead (Lothar) is just the worst. Still, I had fun and enjoyed it, in the kind of way you enjoy a B-movie or an exploitation horror flick. Bottom line, unless you have played the game or are under 14 years old, it's safe to say that you should skip this one.
July 10, 2017
Though there are some entertaining battle scenes and cool visuals, I don't see myself re-watching this again sometime soon.