Warcraft - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warcraft Reviews

December 8, 2016
Never played the game, but from seeing this movie now I'm interested
December 8, 2016
Amazing movie, great story, action packed.
½ December 6, 2016
Well THAT was disappointing. What should have felt grand and epic felt shallow. With Duncan Jones directing, numerous big names starring, and an awesome look, this movie should have been a special addition to the fantasy genre of movies. Having done well in China there's a chance we get a sequel despite flopping in North America. If that ends up happening I would still hold out hope Legendary and Blizzard will course correct. These companies are too good to let a potential multi billion dollar movie franchise flounder like this movie.
December 5, 2016
It's not even a so bad it's good movie. One of the developers makes a cameo and takes up half the screen, looks directly at the camera and it has nothing to do with the movie. It's so distracting. You also wouldn't know he was a game developer? if you have never been to blizzcon.
½ December 5, 2016
For those who have played the game, it will be enjoyable. For those who have not, it's nothing but a rushed story, a lost plot, and cool to look at for a couple of minutes. Then you get bored.
December 4, 2016
Movie had some sub par acting in spots, but was an overall GREAT tribute to the original games
½ December 4, 2016
I hated Warcraft I though that suffers from not building on its characters at all the whole movie from beginning to end is about the war
December 4, 2016
Very good movie. The critics have no idea what they are talking about. Probably because they didnt play Warcraft for hours and hours and really liked the game.
December 4, 2016
I got the DVD this past week and popped in on one TV while the other TV was showing the Alabama-Florida SEC championship game. I'm a huge sci-fi fan, but fantasy movies for me have been on the wane for the past 40 years or so. This movie had a lot of potential and kept my interest through most of the movie. Dying planet, aliens looking for new home, beautiful Blue-Green jewel called Earth. Sound familiar? Yeah, we've seen that plot over and over again in the past 60 years of science fiction movies. This time it's a hoard of Orcs using a portal-gateway something to invade Earth. At any rate, it had a moment of two, but I can understand why it didn't do well in the theaters. I don't see much of a market for a sequel, unless it's on Netfilx or Amazon.
December 3, 2016
It delivered everything that I wanted from a warcraft movie. It honored the source material while delivering a decent story filled with great characters. The jokes were funny and the drama felt real. Sure, it's no Citizen Kane but it's a strong movie none the less. Any fans of the game should love it
½ December 2, 2016
Those who aren't quite familiar with the bestselling video game series may not quite understand what's going on but the film's stunning visuals, action-packed moments and a talented cast make the film worth watching though it's more likely to be appreciated by those who are fans of the game. I'm not familiar with the games but I still enjoyed it for what it was so why shouldn't you? All in all, we can all agree on one thing: it's one of the more entertaining video game movies out there.
½ December 1, 2016
This movie had some flaws like the occasional plot confusion, but if you actually played world of Warcraft you would know this movie brings a whole new light to the everlasting war between orks and humans, and I sheds some light on the true side of many mainstream characters back-stories. Warcraft has a finesse only video game fans can see because most famous critics are in there 40s and older and don't understand what someone who played the game can. In all the movie itself was great and the storytelling was its only flaw, it's action scenes were very well animated and and the similarities between it and the game are almost spot on. If they had only given a little more background in that opening scene like they sis to explain it more I believe it could have been a five star. Nothing else to say besides that mabie those video game movie are starting to succeed and this movie is proof
½ December 1, 2016
This one is a tough one. If you don't know the WOW lore, this could be a bit confusing. Take myself for example. I had no idea what this franchise was and the film was still astounding! The orcs looked awesome (and real), the story was fun, and just an overall great fantasy movie. The critics are pushing it now and the film does not deserve the rotten tomatos score it has. Hoping this will turn the tide for videogame movies in a great way!
November 30, 2016
The storyline felt rushed..the characters lacked depth..it should've been a 3 hr movie so moreal details could've been included. The fight scenes were awesome though.
November 30, 2016
I played Warcraft 1 to 3 and also World of Warcraft and I liked the movie. I hope it will come squeal.
½ November 29, 2016
With questionable green-screen effects, A/V sync issues, and flat acting, Warcraft is certainly one of the most boring movies of the year.
November 29, 2016
To avoid criticism, I will admit right off the bat that I have never played World of Warcraft. I will simply be judging this as a film fan who has watching an adaptation and judging it based on the quality of the film alone. That being said, although I could never get myself to applaud this picture, I will say that I found a lot to admire in Warcraft, even if it should have been used in a better film. Of all the failed attempts at bringing a video game franchise to life, Warcraft displays itself as the one with the most effort. Overall, Warcraft is a pretty bad film, and that is coming from someone who even enjoys dumb action flicks like the adaptation of Need for Speed, but the most frustrating part is that it actually tries to be good. Here is why Warcraft is a bland waste of potential.

To put it simply, Warcraft is a 99 cent version of #GameofThrones. Following two main species in a realm consisting of many, Orcs descent upon the planet Azeroth and fail to find a truce with the humans. Seeing as they will eventually have to go into battle, deeper, more serious threats are on the rise. The Guardian, played by Ben Foster, is simultaneously an interesting, annoying, and laughable character that the plot heavily hinges on. Playing out as more of a three episode miniseries for #HBO, there are three or four core storylines that come into play here, all of which could have used their own film. In my opinion, there are far too many characters and storylines trying to develop within this two hour run time, that is implodes on itself after the first act.

For a film that is 75% CGI or Green Screen, it looks very good. That being said, there is o much CGI that when the human actors are present, it clashes with the rest of the plain. Yes, this is just about the only way to make this look as realistic as possible, but it was off-putting in my opinion; However, I have to give credit where credit is due. Warcraft does benefit from impressive visual effects, but they do lose a bit of flare when the action sequences are filmed just like any other generic war film. The choreography is a bit been-there-done-that and the motion capture has been done many times. Although impressive to look at and presenting a new world to a fresh audience, it really doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of storytelling.

Everything about Wacraft is tonally drab and every character is far too serious. For a film based on otherworldly creatures from a video game franchise, you'd think that there would be a few instances of comedy in order to liven up the audience, but it falls short in that regard as well. Yes, there are a few solid character moments between the Orcs, but when the climax occurs, there are so many of them fighting that the stakes are thrown out the window. Without giving anything away, the opening scene and the final frame of this film are really the only moments of hope throughout this entire film. Both sides equally state their reasons for battle, making the stakes seem worthless, because you don't really know who to root for.

Warcraft makes a valiant effort in bringing the visuals of the video game to life, and they are something that I will definitely remember this film for. The biggest downfall about this picture is the fact that it falls into the same tropes as most generic war films do. It uses its first two acts to discuss the world, introduce endless characters, set-up future storylines for a franchise, and then use its final act for mindless action that will be the only selling point for the film in the marketing. Sadly, the marketing did not even pay off that well, and not very many fans flocked out to see this blockbuster. I did admire some of the elements sprinkled throughout this film, but in an already lacklustre year for big blockbusters, this is sadly among the worst. Warcraft is all style and far too much substance to make itself coherent in any way. Fans of the video game may get more out of it than myself, but as a film it really doesn't work. I will give it quite a few points for trying its best, but it tries far too hard to impress.
November 28, 2016
Decidedly average. Maybe if I'd played the game I'd have cared more about the characters, but the plot is dull, the acting is generally mediocre (Travis Fimmel is not film leading man material) and I'd ever go as far as to say Domonic Cooper is downright awful. Certainly not good enough to make me want to watch the next one. I'd only bother with this is you're a fan of the game.
November 28, 2016
Disappointed. Looks like movie grade B.
November 27, 2016