The Weather Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Weather Man Reviews

August 28, 2016
I think the ending leaves a lot to be desired (for a film about a man who's deeply depressed, it sure resolves itself quickly). That being said, I like the drab style and this is one of Cage's few solid performances from this century.
½ June 30, 2016
Madonna mia che fiala.
Se volete un po' di depressione e pessimismo, ve lo consiglio.
½ March 27, 2016
This is a solid performance by Cage, and the film goes into real life in some dark and funny ways.

The message is perhaps lost in the plot, but this gem is in my opinion what a lot of Hollywood movies are missing: Authentic and realistic. I know it defeats the purpose of Hollywood, which is escaping reality, but sometimes you need a healthy dose of it.
½ February 10, 2016
The only reason I watched this is because it was on TV.I don't even have a clue about what I am supposed to have watched.The central idea of the movie was fine.People can't be someone else than they were meant to be,but it was delivered in such an unimaginative and unnecessary stupid way.
½ January 22, 2016
Awful, awful, awful. Don't waste your time
January 21, 2016
In a world of underappreciated movies, The Weather Man takes the cake. Nicholas Cage takes the most complicated character in his career, a character mold that no other male actor could have ever fitted.
January 13, 2016
Funny as hell. Dark, funny and real.
December 20, 2015
a hypnotic movie, supported by atmospheric music and beautiful photography - no car chases, and not "depressing" as many have tagged it. some quietly truthful subtle acting from cage and caine. no huge breakthroughs, but an interesting description of "normal" (though $$ rich) life
December 9, 2015
Dave Spritz is a local weatherman in his home town of Chicago, where his career is going well while his personal life -- his relationship with his perfectionist writer father, his neurotic ex-wife, and his now-separated children -- is spiraling downward. Despite being both loathed and loved by the local masses, Dave is a guy who doesn't seem to have it all together, and in this film, he begins to feel it. An attractive job offer presents Dave with a major question: to pursue his career in New York City, or to remain at home with his family. [IMDb]

This is one of my favorite movies and I have no shame in saying that. The Weather Man is a top quality character study and easily my favorite Nicolas Cage performance. He's a National Treasure in this flick. Also, it's Gore Verbinski's finest film; The Ring and Mousehunt (Obviously) come close but this one takes the cake. The Weather Man is a completely underrated gem that has a special place in my heart. It's the best film of 2005, closely followed by Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and it bears that title for a few reasons.

The acting is a major highlight, Nicolas Cage gracefully carries this movie all the way to the finish with a restrained, committed performance as Dave Spritz. Michael Caine is a blessing, as usual. Hope Davis kills her role and it's always a delight to see Michael Rispoli. Plus, S/O to Gil Bellows, given his short amount of screen time, he nailed each scene he was in. Cage gives him a good beating too and it's one of the stand-out scenes in the film.

Gore Verbinski. This guy as a director is okay, but here, his direction is flawless. It's further complimented by the gorgeous, yet bleak cinematography by Phedon Papamichael. His shots are to die for and the cool color palette really makes you feel like its winter in Chicago. Someone I have to talk about here is the always pitch perfect Hans Zimmer. Hans is one of the world's greatest composers and I always listen to his End Credit theme from this movie during the winter. It's perfect for the winter and it ends the film on a perfect note.

I can't gush enough about how well written this script is - it's biting and brutally honest with a dash of perfectly executed pitch black humor. It covers a lot of relatable themes like family, divorce and aspirations. Also, there's so many times where I burst out laughing throughout, esp. the Camel Toe scene, Tartar Sauce, etc. This movie is my style of humor for sure. Steve Conrad, thank you. You're gold.

I love The Weather Man. I watch this movie about ten times a year and it never grows tiresome for me. Although, it's a very depressing movie, I don't mind. I get really depressed for most of each year and this movie brings me to the emotional crash I need. It's when the credits roll and I wipe the tears from my eyes. That's when I realize that I don't have it as bad as some people do. Dave Spritz is one of those people. One of the best. Highly recommended.
November 28, 2015
i thought this was a good nicholas cage movie
September 22, 2015
The Weather Man is an unfortunately underrated and hidden gem in Nicolas Cage's usually less-than-stellar filmography, and one with a good life-message of learning how to move on and accept our past while being optimistic about the future. The meteorology aspect of unpredictable weather serves as a backdrop analogy for how life sometimes goes opposite to how we planned. Sprinkled with hilarious deadpan humor and convincing performances, The Weather Man is a subjectively absorbing dark dramedy.
August 22, 2015
The movie sits on Cage's shoulders and he delivers in usual manic style.
½ July 7, 2015
As much fun as standing outside in a blizzard for two hours
May 17, 2015
Completely underrated at the box office.
May 4, 2015
A stale film story and characters that you don't care.
½ May 1, 2015
I wasn't in a mood for a malincholic movie, and I thought this one was a comedy (it was written on the review I've red before the wathcing).
Well...it's not bad, but, let's say, surely heavy.
½ March 7, 2015
A black and bleak comedy through and through, Nicolas Cage is in fine form in Gore Verbinski's best film. The cinematography is beautiful and the icy color palette and imagery really helps this movie. The plot is a bit aimless and the ending is a bit abrupt, but it is more of a character-driven film so I can let it slide.
February 27, 2015
You get surprised to see how Nicolas Hoult has grown since About A Boy, and Nicolas Cage did deliver some good acting along with his scenes with Sir Michael Caine. The Weather Man taught me the concept of the living funeral and the beautiful song by Bob Segar, Like a Rock. That sequence gets me every time.
½ December 1, 2014
Do you know why the kids call you "cameltoe"?