Wendy and Lucy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wendy and Lucy Reviews

April 8, 2016
excellent performance.
½ February 6, 2016
Michelle Williams. looking a lot like Jesse Eisenberg here, gives probably her most underrated performance as a drifter barely surviving in her lonely and friendless existence in this minimalistic arthouse picture.
January 22, 2016
A showcase for Michelle Williams' ample talents; small, intimate and somber.
December 15, 2015
Masters the dragging frustration of the character with the overly long shots, and Michelle Williams' silent, growing portrayal of being beaten down as the movie goes on is so subtle and clear. Risky, and super effective.
½ September 13, 2015
OK but kinda hollow.
September 9, 2015
As a dog person, the ending is one of the most heart wrenching things ever
½ August 31, 2015
This was a pretty boring little movie. If it wasn't for the cute dog and the kindness of ordinary men, not worth my time I'd say. I already dislike Michelle Williams and this movie just strengthened my thoughts of her.
½ August 6, 2015
Alright for what it is but it isn't much.
½ June 23, 2015
People are mean, and dogs are better. The end.
½ May 27, 2015
Despite the stark and minimalist style, this is a devastating commentary on the challenges and alienation created by a society that has seemingly ceased to care. Michelle Williams is almost too real. The movie often has the feel of a documentary. Powerful, but oppressively disturbing.
May 26, 2015
Michelle Williams is one of the photogenic face in Hollywood and also like her performance. But won the negative impression of mine over portrayal of her character in 'Take This Waltz'. Doing a villainous role may get appreciation, for example, the Joker from Batman, but doing things that affect morality is really hurt if you really like that person. After that movie, I was not into her films and she also did not do any major roles. Accidentally I came to know about this movie, which is in fact a bit older movie than what I was talking about and after knowing more about it, I got interested and I could not resist from watching. Frankly, this movie filled the gap created by the earlier crack.

This movie falls in the line of 'Open Road' and 'Into the Wild' when it comes to rendering the main character. If you have already seen those two, or any other similar flicks, then you would find this movie was very much intense. Wendy, a woman in her late 20s with her dog Lucy are on an expedition to the other end of the country seeking a solution to the difficulty for having a normal life and job. One must have to keep walking on either of way to see a light at the end of the tunnel and that's what Wendy does here.

"You can't get an address without an address.
You can't get a job without a job."

This movie commence middle of her destination, where she's stranded after her car broke-down. It won't say anything about the earlier account of Wendy or what might happen after the timeline of this film. All the 80 minute of narration takes place in the Oregon city which is just a glimpse of her life for us as a movie, but a major impact thenceforth in her life. The struggle during fixing her car is what depicted simply, but beautifully on the screen.

The story is about the man and his pet's relationship, that's what the meaning of the title, like 'Marley & Me'. Also being a young woman, society is no safe for roaming freely all the places alone at all the time. Plain drama, it was, but something meaningful story, a lesson to learn, a character to study and a life to experience. A kind of journey of self- discovery during understanding how the civil system works. Thematically there's nothing wrong, but 'setting an example' wise, this movie is not safer for other than the adults. Among the best movies of the year it was released. Impossible not to recommend others, especially by me to you perhaps.

8/10
½ May 8, 2015
Horrifying in its bleakness and overwhelmingly emotional in its focus on the titular bond between a woman and her dog, "Wendy and Lucy" is a perfectly brief account of a vital story about the self-righeousness of those who have and the desperation of those have not.
½ March 28, 2015
6.8/10
Michelle Williams was very good in Wendy & Lucy with a truly heart wrenching performance of someone that might as well lost everything but doesn't give up. It was a tale of searching for that while trying to keep herself together as much as she could. Also the dog Lucy was very cute. Overall a very simple story led by a very strong performance by Williams.
~March 29, 2015~
½ November 13, 2014
Simple story, simple movie, but well developed in all aspects. Just heartbreaking. I never did like Michelle Williams, but I have to say she's great here.
November 11, 2014
At times it forces its heartstring tugs, but for the most part Wendy and Lucy earns them with a bleak perspective on the nature of poverty and companionship heightened by its smooth direction and powerful performance from Michelle Williams.
½ November 10, 2014
absolutely horrendous, reminded me of "Frances Ha" but even more infuriating, makes you wanna smack Michelle Williams the entire time! Ugh!
September 27, 2014
no pasa nada, tipo francesa.
September 25, 2014
A quiet and poetic film, that makes up for it's lack of originality with sincerity.
January 25, 2014
4.1/5 Simple, corta, sencilla, emotiva y devastadora. Wendy and Lucy extrae drama poderoso a base de una actuación en extremo natural y llena de empatia por parte de Michelle Williams, una pequeña joya "indie" silenciosa, depresiva e hipnotizante.