Wendy and Lucy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wendy and Lucy Reviews

½ July 18, 2017
Kelly Reichardt's movies are probably an acquired taste. Some use the word "minimalist" to describe them but I'm not exactly sure what it means in this context (anti-Hollywood, for sure). If it signifies that there's not much going on in her movies, just plainly told stories of everyday events, unfolding slowly and shot with a clear-eyed skill in observation, then OK. However, less is often more, as they say and, if you give in to them, Reichardt's mundane stories somehow become sublime. Perhaps it is her eye for beautiful compositions that heightens the experience or the inner resolve that her characters have or need to muster. Wendy (Michelle Williams) is on her way to Alaska in a junky old car with her dog, Lucy. She seems to have very little money, sleeping in her car, washing up in gas station restrooms. Her relations with other people seem strained. And, of course, somewhere near Portland, OR, things go wrong (she loses Lucy among other trials). Apart from Williams, many or most of the other actors seem to be non-professionals and the action takes place on the streets (or in the woods) in real locations. What happens to Wendy could happen to you or me, if things took a wrong turn. The desperation is real and Reichardt is wise not to sensationalize it.
½ March 30, 2017
Wendy and Lucy is a slice-of-life drama about a woman who hits some roadblocks when she stops in a small town on her way to Alaska. This film is extremely slow to develop. The script doesn?t give us much detail about Wendy or why she is doing anything. There are subtle hints laid out as the movie progresses but if you like to know back story, motivations, or any significant detail about the main character when you watch a movie, then this one will infuriate you. I actually found it relatively tolerable, mostly because I kept expecting there would be a big reveal. When the movie ended and I still felt like I knew as little about Wendy as I did when the movie started, I was a little disappointed. The events that happen to Wendy are very human struggles, and that aspect at least allows us to connect with her and feel sympathy for what she is going through. The overall feel of Michelle Williams? performance was very melancholy, and since every single moment revolves around her, the whole film had the same tone. This is the second movie I?ve seen that was directed by Kelly Reichardt and it seems she likes making movies that don?t have big moments. There are no dramatic swells in this movie, but I suppose that makes it feel more authentic or real-to-life. What it doesn?t do is make the movie fun to watch. Wendy and Lucy held my attention for the full run-time, but didn?t impact me in any way even in the most emotional moments.
½ March 23, 2017
A tiny movie that isn't for everyone. Tells a story about a girl and how she loses her dog. Then she goes about the entire movie trying to find the dog. Its really a movie about being really really desperate because you have no money. Michelle Williams is amazing as usual. If it wasn't for her it wouldn't have been good.
February 13, 2017
A short, and sweet attempt at a low-budget drama. A Kelly Reichardt classic, so it's become. Michelle Williams is very good in this, and so is Lucy. Standout moments include the scene in the park where Wendy is confronted by a crazed homeless person. But dammit if I'm not a sap when it comes to sad dog movies. It was a hard watch. Not to mention, that some sections were downright slow and uneventful. Meh.
½ November 28, 2016
As of now, "Wendy and Lucy" is my least favorite Kelly Reichardt film. Not that it was a bad movie, it's just it was an emotionally grueling film to watch. Michelle Williams gives a brave and heartbreaking performance as Wendy, and I love Reichardt's observational approach to its story. "Wendy and Lucy" is somewhat a tough film to sit through, and you might find it even more frustrating if you were not familiar with Reichardt's style.
April 8, 2016
excellent performance.
½ February 6, 2016
Michelle Williams. looking a lot like Jesse Eisenberg here, gives probably her most underrated performance as a drifter barely surviving in her lonely and friendless existence in this minimalistic arthouse picture.
January 22, 2016
A showcase for Michelle Williams' ample talents; small, intimate and somber.
December 15, 2015
Masters the dragging frustration of the character with the overly long shots, and Michelle Williams' silent, growing portrayal of being beaten down as the movie goes on is so subtle and clear. Risky, and super effective.
½ September 13, 2015
OK but kinda hollow.
September 9, 2015
As a dog person, the ending is one of the most heart wrenching things ever
½ August 31, 2015
This was a pretty boring little movie. If it wasn't for the cute dog and the kindness of ordinary men, not worth my time I'd say. I already dislike Michelle Williams and this movie just strengthened my thoughts of her.
½ August 6, 2015
Alright for what it is but it isn't much.
½ June 23, 2015
People are mean, and dogs are better. The end.
½ May 27, 2015
Despite the stark and minimalist style, this is a devastating commentary on the challenges and alienation created by a society that has seemingly ceased to care. Michelle Williams is almost too real. The movie often has the feel of a documentary. Powerful, but oppressively disturbing.
May 26, 2015
Michelle Williams is one of the photogenic face in Hollywood and also like her performance. But won the negative impression of mine over portrayal of her character in 'Take This Waltz'. Doing a villainous role may get appreciation, for example, the Joker from Batman, but doing things that affect morality is really hurt if you really like that person. After that movie, I was not into her films and she also did not do any major roles. Accidentally I came to know about this movie, which is in fact a bit older movie than what I was talking about and after knowing more about it, I got interested and I could not resist from watching. Frankly, this movie filled the gap created by the earlier crack.

This movie falls in the line of 'Open Road' and 'Into the Wild' when it comes to rendering the main character. If you have already seen those two, or any other similar flicks, then you would find this movie was very much intense. Wendy, a woman in her late 20s with her dog Lucy are on an expedition to the other end of the country seeking a solution to the difficulty for having a normal life and job. One must have to keep walking on either of way to see a light at the end of the tunnel and that's what Wendy does here.

"You can't get an address without an address.
You can't get a job without a job."

This movie commence middle of her destination, where she's stranded after her car broke-down. It won't say anything about the earlier account of Wendy or what might happen after the timeline of this film. All the 80 minute of narration takes place in the Oregon city which is just a glimpse of her life for us as a movie, but a major impact thenceforth in her life. The struggle during fixing her car is what depicted simply, but beautifully on the screen.

The story is about the man and his pet's relationship, that's what the meaning of the title, like 'Marley & Me'. Also being a young woman, society is no safe for roaming freely all the places alone at all the time. Plain drama, it was, but something meaningful story, a lesson to learn, a character to study and a life to experience. A kind of journey of self- discovery during understanding how the civil system works. Thematically there's nothing wrong, but 'setting an example' wise, this movie is not safer for other than the adults. Among the best movies of the year it was released. Impossible not to recommend others, especially by me to you perhaps.

8/10
½ May 8, 2015
Horrifying in its bleakness and overwhelmingly emotional in its focus on the titular bond between a woman and her dog, "Wendy and Lucy" is a perfectly brief account of a vital story about the self-righeousness of those who have and the desperation of those have not.
½ March 28, 2015
6.8/10
Michelle Williams was very good in Wendy & Lucy with a truly heart wrenching performance of someone that might as well lost everything but doesn't give up. It was a tale of searching for that while trying to keep herself together as much as she could. Also the dog Lucy was very cute. Overall a very simple story led by a very strong performance by Williams.
~March 29, 2015~
½ November 13, 2014
Simple story, simple movie, but well developed in all aspects. Just heartbreaking. I never did like Michelle Williams, but I have to say she's great here.
November 11, 2014
At times it forces its heartstring tugs, but for the most part Wendy and Lucy earns them with a bleak perspective on the nature of poverty and companionship heightened by its smooth direction and powerful performance from Michelle Williams.