What Women Want - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Women Want Reviews

October 2, 2016
Very enjoyable.

A guy looses a promotion to a new hire but soon finds that he can read women's minds.
½ October 1, 2016
This film is an entertainment in its pure form, why should it necessarily be bad? The movie is fun to watch with beatuful performers.
September 27, 2016
Wonderful movie, about man's man who due to accident can hear women's thoughts. Well acted, funny and romantic. A good moral heart to the story.
September 26, 2016
Gibson is as great as the premise, which is explored to often amusing results. I liked it for what it was.
September 16, 2016
I love this movie!!! Mel Gibson at his best as a sexy male chauvinist pig. Lovable yet despicable. Is it Braveheart worthy. Um no. Different genre people. It's a COMEDY. WITH HEART. Helen Hunt is likable and beautiful as Mel's boss whom can't hide her every thought. As every woman. Imagine a man who can read your thoughts. Could be good. Could be bad. Movie shows both sides. But Mel becomes a better man. Simple easy entertainment. Nothing heavy. No tears. Just fun to watch.
½ September 15, 2016
Entertaining at times I guess
½ September 2, 2016
Ihan hauska hömppäleffa! :-* (Suom. Mitä nainen haluaa)
August 2, 2016
Funny and irresistibly charming, What Women Want is another example of director Nancy Meyers' entertaining and touching direction and delivers a solid comedic performance from Mel Gibson.
½ May 26, 2016
Saw this on 26/5/16
A role tailor made for Mel Gibson and the actor slips into the role with ease, but the script does not do him any justice by constantly being weighed down by its formula. However, the movie is still not bad, its just that the formula means that they just have to end the fun after some time and resort to melodrama.
May 9, 2016
Nick, a chauvinistic executive gains the ability to hear what women think.

As the line above suggests, it's about a man named Nick who's gone through life thinking he's God's gift to women, only to find that he's anything but. The reality check changes him, probably for the better, at least that's what the movie would want you to believe right?

It's a good film and there's plenty of things to like about it. It's not one I'll want to fire up every weekend but for casual viewing it does just fine. As a film released right around the time that advertising was changing precisely as depicted, it seems very timely.
April 1, 2016
I actually thought this movie was quite funny but it does start to get a bit much towards the end. Probably would have been better if it was shorter.
½ January 6, 2016
A clever, fun, touching rom-com with megawatt Mel Gibson, very good Helen Hunt and intense and believable Marisa Tomei.
December 30, 2015
Gibson keeps this movie afloat.
½ November 28, 2015
Is it an accurate view of what women want?
November 7, 2015
The dance scene was worth it alone. Very charming and lovely. Hunt, Tomei, and Mel are fantastic. Many funny and emotional scenes that are great.
October 9, 2015
Terrible portrayal f women
August 25, 2015
What Women Want is a strong premise trapped inside mediocre execution as this concept is never taken to its full potential and the film is extremely old-fashioned and lazy in its depiction of how men and women think. This is a film I've seen marketed since I was young and was always curious about how well it would turn out and to my surprise it was even more absurd than I could have thought and not much worked for me. Mel Gibson is what holds this thing together with his incredible wit and effortless charm, but even he seems to be embarrassed to be a part of this. The problem here is that the film takes no chances and settles for the fluffy, predictable man-and-woman-at-odds-fall-in-love trope and it was as routine as it gets. It's surprising this was helmed by a female director as the shallowness of the character's thoughts and the treatment of its female characters made the film feel like it was made in the 50s. It's completely harmless and has a chuckle every once in a while, but it never takes advantage of its comedic opportunities and it's too silly for its own good (at one point he's able to hear a female dog's thoughts...).
½ July 19, 2015
A pleasure to watch the Mel Gibson I always loved: handsome, sassy, humorous, physical. Helen Hunt is a good sparring partner to his antics in this delightful romantic comedy. It's light and entertaining but come on, totally implausible and unbelievable to think a man could ever fully understand a woman. It's only a fairy tale, after all.
July 15, 2015
I usually associate Mel Gibson with Lethal Weapon and Braveheart but here he proves this incredible range with his superb comic performance. There are so many funny and touching scenes in this movie. Most of them are with Helen Hunt but the scene with Lola (Tomei) and the one with his daughter and her friends were also really good. The slightly off-kilter subplot with the suicidal intern is the only thing about this movie that could have been reworked or written out. Still this was a very entertaining movie.