What's Up, Doc? Reviews

July 9, 2007
"There's not much to see actually. We're inside a Chinese dragon."

Kinda like Bringing Up Baby meets one of those 70s's Alka Seltzer commercials - with Babs. A funny, silly movie.
hunterjt13
½ July 25, 2013
Four suitcases, one with jewels, one with secret documents, one with rocks, and one with clothes, cause goofy characters to scramble for possession.
What's Up, Doc? is a fun light-hearted farce that succeeds because Barbara Streisand can be quite charming and Ryan O'Neal has a good, dry, stone-faced delivery. The final moment of the film -- "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard" -- is hilarious only for those who know O'Neal's career.
The film fails in other areas. Judy's motivations are mysterious; "You're cute" isn't enough justification for me. Likewise, all the other interesting parties flit and run around like idiots, but their motivations are never very clear.
Overall, as farces go, this one isn't bad, but ultimately, What's Up, Doc? is easily dismissed.
garyX
½ March 29, 2007
A kooky stranger in the shape of Barbra Streisand attaches herself to a stuffy music professor and through a series of coincidences become involved in a plot to steal a case of priceless jewels and some secret government files. What's Up Doc? is one of those kinds of comedies that busts a gut to be quirky and likeable, but in its attempt to emulate the effortlessly amusing "screwball" comedies of the 1940s it falls rather short. It actually seems rather more dated than the films it is clearly trying to copy (Bringing Up Baby being the most obvious influence) and the chemistry between a very lost looking Ryan O'Neill and Streisand is glaring in its absence; he just comes across as a joyless prig and her fascination with him is almost as bemusing as his seemingly instant change of heart where it comes to his romantic interest in her. The humour is in the usual formulaic farce of mistaken identities, pie-throwing and characters constantly running in and out of identical doors and it all seems rather tired and try-hard. Occasionally mildly amusing, but Neil Simon did this kind of thing with a lot more wit.
August 2, 2012
Energetic screwball comedy that resurrect the genre from 30's hilarious pictures and pay a homage to Warner Bros. cartoons.
September 23, 2007
Classic 70s chaos comedy about a girl called trouble and four identical bags with very different contents. The mix up and chase after these bags still belongs to the most hysterical pieces of comedy Hollywood ever delivered. The fun being, that the film takes itself and its characters entirely serious, the actors being accordingly convincing, even though they are all totally mental and it's all so very silly. What follows are the funniest car chase and the funniest court scene ever. A riot.
deano
October 8, 2006
Superb zany, riotous slapstick comedy of the 1970s! It makes me can't stop laughing heaps. Silly, simple and superficial, with no lowbrow, leering takes or hidden moral messages lurking, "What's Up, Doc?" is pure, unadulterated fun. Bugs Bunny should be proud.
Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal are my favourite comedy-romantic due uniquely endearing in screen history. Streisand delivers like a sniper and actually looks sexy and desirable and O'Neal is a perfect foil as an uptight college professor completely bamboozled by Streisand.
Director Peter Bogdanovich's version of the car chase which closes the film is so tremendously funny and entertaining - that's my favourite scene.
September 5, 2010
This is my favourite movie with Streisand, it's hilarious and has a great cast and director. It's an adventure comedy, and it's really fun, I highly recommend this movie.
July 15, 2007
Bogdanovich, an eloquent director but most important of all an avid cinephile, puts his love for the old screwball comedies in this wacky film that (of course) lacks the charm of the classics it was inspired by. some hilarious moments save the day.
jjnxn
½ March 27, 2007
I am Hugh.
You are me?
No, I am Hugh.
Stop saying that!!
May 30, 2006
Ultimate screwball rom-com..I can fully relate to Ryan O'Neill's character in this..bloody women!
January 7, 2009
It's a great homage to screwball comedies. Streisand is at her least shrill, and she's actually pretty funny. Ryan O'Neal is a great opposite to her character and Madeline Kahn and Kenneth Mars are hysterical in their supporting roles. I always liked this as a kid, but it still retains its humor as I have gotten older.
July 1, 2008
There's a colorful, sight-gaggy Tati-ness to this that I liked, but also a nonsensical, madcap screwball-y quality that I didn't so much like.
½ September 10, 2010
I was expecting a lot more but Barbara Streisand was actually pretty charming as Judy. Ryan O'Neal was the bore and this movie probably would have been a lot better with a different lead man.
½ May 27, 2007
Finally added this to my DVD collection!
Another Bogdanovich movie that is so hilarious from beginning to end. It is so hilarious that I could not stop laughing. Shot in San Francisco, the story starts with Howard Banister played by Ryan O'neal and Judy or Burnsy played by Barbara Streisand are the best comedic duo. Not to mention miss prissy Eunice Burns played wonderfully by Madeline Kahn again. It all happens when 4 bags each containing different items get mixed up. The result ends up to a hilarious chase scene on trying to recover all bags to the owners. So much funny antics throughout the scene, it's a delight to watch and will surely cheer up your day. One of the best comedies of the century.
March 22, 2008
A great homage to the screwball comedies of the 1930s with a script that's taught in film school.
½ May 27, 2007
This movie has all the usual Comedy clichés. Ryan O'Neal and Barbra Streisand made this movie the year after Ryan O'Neal made Love Story. When I was in the ninth grade our class went to Oklahoma City to see Love Story as our class trip. Our sponsors were not happy with the language in the GP rated movie. In the tenth grade we went to Oklahoma City to see "What's Up Doc?" This was a much better movie. Our sponsors were much happier too since this was a G rated movie. But as a comedy it's just a rehash of old black and white movies. The line I remembered most was at the end of the movie when Barbra Streisand says, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." and Ryan O'Neal replies, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard." The rest of the jokes are funny but forgettable. If the girls in our class hadn't voted to see Love Story the year before I wouldn't have laughed so much at the end of this movie. It was unusual in the 1970's for a major movie to be rated G. Usually only Disney made G rated movies for kids. This movie was not for kids but had no bad language or nudity. If you want to see some real comedy, watch an old comedy classic from the 1930's. What's Up Doc is just mimicking those old movies.
November 21, 2013
This is like screwball comedy done wrong. I didn't even think that was possible, but this is it. Anyway, none of the characters are likable, and everything that they do is inconsiderate of others. Barbara Streisand's character is definitely the most annoying one though; this may be her most conceited role ever.
April 15, 2012
Funny, at times, but I kind of wanted to just hurt Barbra Streisand's character because she's really just a cruel and otherwise horrible person. Liam Dunn provides the biggest laughs as the Judge late in the film.
May 23, 2010
One of my very favorites! It is so hilarious and can cheer me up on my saddest days. its a movie that EVERYONE must see!! There is not one thing I would change, it was great all the way through! Best quotes ever and best cast! It is in my top 3 movies!
January 20, 2011
hysterically funny and fast paced...great writing..tha timing iz exquisite!..can watch this anytime in any mood...awesom! peter bogdonavich film! i think the best comedy ever!