When Harry Met Sally - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Harry Met Sally Reviews

December 6, 2016
Baby fish mouth, baby fish mouth! Rob Reiner at his best. 1989 and 1990 put out some grest movies and When Harry Met Sally is easily one of the best. This film is a must watch romantic comedy. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are perfect together and work off one another beautifully. The film is FULL of great lines, the first sentence of this review being one of them. The best compliment I could give this film is sometimes magic comes together and just makes you want to watch a film 10 times. I'll call this the Princess Bride factor. This film is a 10 on the Princess Bride factor. I could go on and on but the simple fact is, just watch the movie. You'll love it or your money back.
P.S. The soundtrack is GREAT. Not quite Maximum Overdrive great but darn good. Good watching!
½ November 26, 2016
Excellent stuff. It set a high standard for the romantic comedies, while none of them managed to match it
November 14, 2016
When Harry Met Sally..., is a film that came out in '89 but yet it feels timeless because it tackles the old age question, can men and women be friends without the sex? Whether or not you agree with the answer that this film gives you, it is executed very well. Bill Crystal and Meg Ryan and both hilarious and share great chemistry. This film shows us that relationships don't always have to be love at first sight and that love can be found in the craziest places!
November 14, 2016
As good as Ryan and Crystal are, it's Ephron's screenplay that is the real star here. She turns a premise that should be utterly exhausting into an enjoyable and insightful comedy.
October 8, 2016
A sweetly cute movie-and a wondrous autumnal classic. A well-deserved four stars.
½ September 27, 2016
When Harry Met Sally is a romantic comedy that nicely upholds that relationships are good, however hard they are to work for.
September 23, 2016
How can the archetypical modern romantic comedy also stand as one of the best modern romantic comedies? Let us examine the success of the tropes, in the case of When Harry Met Sally: our two lead characters, Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, live detailed, individual lives, the comic relief sidekicks, Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby, milk Nora Ephron's deliciously charming script for all of its cartoonish effect, director Rob Reiner saddles such antics back into a movie deeply rooted in reality, and, good grief, this is both romantic AND comedic. In the reinforcement of the film's theme as to how good of friends a man and woman can be without sex, Crystal and Ryan play off one another like the best of friends would in everyday life. That feels like love to me. Even the "misunderstanding," the bane of most romantic comedies in that they stab pacing straight in the back, moves the plot in a manner that indicates not another case of miscommunication, but a fundamental misunderstanding of oneself. Absolutely magical. The accusations that Rob Reiner merely ripped off Woody Allen are envious and inaccurate excuses for how Reiner actually managed to define the modern romantic comedy: We have grown sick of the saccharine garbage, but that does not mean we have to be cynical about love.
½ September 9, 2016
The best movie Woody Allen never made.
August 28, 2016
Billy Crystal is Harry who is about to leave Chicago University to head to New York City. Accompanying him on the road trip is Sally (Meg Ryan), and as the two talk on the trip they pretty much cannot stand each other. Various encounters throughout the years lead to an eventual friendship, despite Harry's believe woman and men cannot be true friends. As their relationship buds, they cannot help, but think and wonder if they should be together, particularly other dates, or attempts to set up friends have them pining for each other. After a night of passion things get rocky and they wonder if they will lose it all, and its only then they truly realize they are meant for each other. When Harry met Sally is a realistic portrayal of relationships and breaks the often Hollywood romance mold that love is at first sight. The roller coaster ride that the two go on mirrors what many are sure to have gone through in a relationship. Rob Reiner peppers in actor portrayals of real relationships to give the film a realistic tinge to it. The film does not really make particularly, happy, sad or nor is it really funny, but its impact on romance films for years to come is hard to deny.
August 4, 2016
When Harry Met Sally... is directed by Rob Reiner, and it stars Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan in a romantic comedy about 2 people that met each other in their own car to drive to New York City, and when few years later comes in, they meet again, and the same thing goes again. After watching This is Spinal Tap, I was honestly really worried about watching this film, thinking that it'll not be a good movie, but my friend tells me to give it a chance as he really like this film, and so I did, turns out that this is a lot better in many multiple ways. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are terrific in this, and they really work well together. The conversations that they have with each other are interesting, and relatable as it talks about relationships thanks to a well written script by Nora Ephron. The humor is really funny, and when it gets serious, it gets serious, and it pays off pretty well. The movie is portrayed differently than your typical romance film, and it plays like its own thing. When Harry Met Sally... is a terrific film that leaves an impact still to this day.
½ July 17, 2016
When Harry Met Sally is the definitive romantic comedy that delivers the perfect balance of frustration and satisfaction. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan's chemistry made their characters' relationship so natural and complex that any one can relate to them. From witty comedy, to philosophical discussion and dramatic romance, When Harry Met Sally holds true brilliance of romantic storytelling that is remarkably memorable. 4.5 Stars
June 26, 2016
When we need to give a slap to the face when it hurts to getting a slap on the face when its just a joke.
June 25, 2016
A great romantic comedy
½ June 15, 2016
Guy gets girl in this vulgar romantic comedy.
June 13, 2016
She does something. He looks at her, quizzically. She asks what. He says nothing. She asks what. He explains his omniscient insight into life via cynical new yorker. Also, fake orgasm. The end.

Everything I hate about post-modern, Manhattan-type, hypersexual relationships. They have nothing to do with love.

This is what's happening for the large majority of the movie. However, at some point, the relationship becomes somewhat interesting. And, though ham-handed, the resolution is a welcome one considering what one had to go through to get there.
½ May 26, 2016
Totally forgot how sharp, funny, and genuine this one is.
½ May 25, 2016
Witty dialogue and great chemistry between the two stars make this one of the best rom-coms I've ever seen.
May 24, 2016
The romantic comedy is a hard genre to nail. The genre is a popular one, but it seems that audiences are only drawn to them so strongly due to stories that sacrifice realistic situations and characters for ideal ones. Love is a very fantastical thing, after all. Thankfully, Rob Reiner doesn't succumb to this with When Harry Met Sally: the result is a beautiful little film that stands as a solid entry in the genre without finding the need to deliver unrealistic ideas. Reiner and screenwriter Nora Ephron deliver a story that, in a way, is semi-autobiographical, drawing from their own personal thoughts on love and relationships based on their past life experiences. These ideas are what make Harry and Sally such compelling and realistic characters: they're as close to real life as movie characters can get. It helps that Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan give their all in their performances, and share wonderful chemistry with one another. These are two characters whose ups and downs over the course of 12 years are relatable and understandable, and Crystal and Ryan are the life force behind this relationship. This is one of the quintessential romantic comedies for good reason, because it's one of the most earnest and heartfelt ones out there.
½ May 18, 2016
How can anyone not love this movie? The conversations and chemistry between Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan is so charming and irresistible. "When Harry Met Sally" is absolutely a classic in not only the romantic comedy genre, but in the world of cinema in general, and I can't stand that it took me so long to check it out. It's an instant classic for anyone who hasn't checked this one out yet. 9.0/10
May 16, 2016