When Harry Met Sally - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Harry Met Sally Reviews

February 15, 2018
As good as romcoms come.
January 17, 2018
When Harry Met Sally unintentionally suffers from the romcom cliches it inspired, but still tells an engaging story thanks to an amiable premise and heartfelt performances from its leads.
January 1, 2018
Pretty intriguing classic
December 31, 2017
Fantastic chemistry between Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.
December 28, 2017
The classic on this week's Everyone is a Critic podcast is When Harry Met Sally, director Rob Reiner's 1989 romantic comedy that arguably set the template for every romantic comedy that came after it. Reiner, whose The Princess Bride turns 30 this weekend and inspired our podcast to focus on Reiner's work, directed When Harry Met Sally from a script by Nora Ephron who would go on to take the mantel of the leading voice in romantic comedies in Hollywood throughout the 90's and early 2000's.

The template is thus, two people who seem ill-suited for each other get repeatedly thrust together by fate before sleeping together, montage together and then break-up, montage, and finally have a romantic reunion. These movies could write themselves after a while but in fairness to Reiner, when he conceived of When Harry Met Sally, the template wasn't quite so set in stone. In fact, in pairing the comic Billy Crystal with the actress Meg Ryan, Reiner found something that still feels very fresh in their unusual chemistry. https://geeks.media/classic-movie-review-when-harry-met-sally?_ga=2.154971640.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710
½ December 17, 2017
Heart melting and funny, it's really clear why it became classic romance
November 24, 2017
The pinnacle of all rom-coms.
November 14, 2017
This is a great classic rom-com with a real great chemistry between Crystal and Ryan. Some scenes with great comedic banter and memorable lines while still having a touching romance.
October 24, 2017
A very enjoyable funny film that takes a twist on the romance genre. We have two individuals who begin off despising one another only to fall in love with one another at the end of the film. The main question throughout the film tackles is "can men and women truly be friends without ever wanting more?" We're constantly reminded of Harry's perspective that "No they can not." while Sally believes that it's possible. Although Harry and Sally are able to form a healthy platonic friendship with one another, their romantic feelings for one another develop increasingly towards the end, supporting the idea that men and women can never only just be friends.

Just because the film had reached their conclusion of the question, it is not necessarily the truth. It is very possible for two opposing genders that are attracted to one another to still be best of friends. It can become very difficult to accomplish and it reminds me of my past experience.

"I miss the idea of him/her." (-Sally @36min).
To have a opposing gender friend that I can be true with myself and thoughts. To hear the perspective of another gender.
October 13, 2017
This movie is a good one to watch every now and then. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan have great chemistry together in this. Meg Ryan became the woman that everyone fell in love with for about a decade because of this movie. It is an oldie that deserves to be passed on to newer generations.
September 8, 2017
Funny heartwarming movie about hating someone when you first meet them and then completely falling in love with them. The dialogue between the characters was very fluid which made it very interesting to watch.
Good romedy movie.
½ September 2, 2017
Not bad but not anything special. I enjoyed how they visually presented the personality comparisons of Harry and Sally, and I enjoyed hearing some of the most classic lines in film.
½ July 27, 2017
Best friends with a long history find it difficult to cross that bridge into a relationship. Decent enough film. Almost drags on a bit too long.
July 23, 2017
I've had this movie recorded on my DVR for several years. I watch it probably 3 or 4 times per year. LOVE IT!
½ July 11, 2017
The love is complicated. I don't want to spoil the whole story, but I must say there is no friendship between a boy and a girl. I agree with that. Nicely done
½ July 2, 2017
Story about a man and a woman who meet and hate each other, then meet again years later and begin to like each other only to realize they love each other. Completely a chick flick. But I enjoy it. Especially the first half hour when they are at war with each other.
June 21, 2017
A movie masterpiece with everything you need out of a rom-com. A genuine film of romance, wit, comedy and heart warming scenes. I could watch this movie over and over.
June 9, 2017
"I'll have what she is having" :D Good old classic loved it !!!
½ May 29, 2017
Absolutely classic, and pretty funny. Enjoyed it more as a cornerstone of the Rom-Com genre, however, than per se.
May 14, 2017
Can't believe it takes 12 years for Harry and Sally to finally fall in love!