When Harry Met Sally Reviews

March 4, 2015
Funny, charming and cleverly loveable. When Harry Met Sally... is an endearing romantic comedy with an interesting script and hilarious performances from Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan. The film's flawless blend of love and laughter is a standard held high to this day for all "rom-coms". 5/5
paul o.
August 2, 2012
Its like the late 80's version of 500 days of summer or vice versa. Its fun and cute. It can be placed on as some of the best romantic films of our time.
½ June 23, 2012
My favorite sequence is the voiceover of Harry's late-night call to Sally, the two explicating Casablanca, while scenes of their individual lonelinesses play out.
½ June 5, 2006
"I'll have what she's having."
½ November 21, 2007
Somehow I never got around to watching this one before - weird since I've seen just about every other 80's and chick flick going.
The first thing that struck me was how attractive Meg Ryan looks here compared to her recent plastic surgery look. She plays the strong willed and neurotic Sally well in this movie which starts in the 70's when she meets Harry while car pooling, up to current day (late 80's).
The two initially irritate each other, but after a chance meeting years later, they become friends, sharing their disappointments over the years. It doesn't take a genius to see where this movie is going.
Not trying to be awful, but I couldn't really see what Sally saw in Harry. It's a nice story of friendship and I was glad for the happy ending, but it didn't feel all that convincing.
This is a very popular movie, though, so I am willing to conclude that that could just be my opinion. Glad I saw it finally, though. Enjoyable.
½ September 8, 2011
When Harry Met Sally, they didn't really like each other, but as the years went by, they kept bumping into each other. Soon enough, they start hanging out together and then something starts to happen. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan have great chemistry, and give great but hilarious performances. When Harry Met Sally is a touching, funny, and well acted romance film.
July 12, 2007
It's cinematic coitus interruptus for the length of the film as we wait for the leads to know what we do (they talk about sex in every scene, doh!) and then to get to it. The best parts of the film are little added segments about real longtime married couples talking about how they came together (forgive me) ... all of them quicker than the film's couple.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
An absolute classic!
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
The funniest movie about why men and women can't be friends. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have great chemistry in this super sweet and touching romantic comedy. Meg Ryan is adorable and Billy Crystal is just hilariously funny!!! Love this movie! :) One of the sweetest romantic movies thats just so funny! :) Love this soooo much! :) One of my most favorite 80s movie!!! :) I just love these two! :) Just an awesome movie :) :) :)
½ May 29, 2007
Meg Ryan is like the cutest thing ever. She and Billy Crystal make a strange but perfectly wonderful pair.
½ August 24, 2007
This is a classic film. Although it's not one of my favorites, it was fun to watch and I love how the filmmakers took us through the various time periods of their lives. Billy Crystal is witty as usual. The film dragged in a few places but it wasn't unwarranted. It was a very cohesive film and although probably not for everyone, it's one that I recommend.
September 6, 2010
If you don't like movies that are solely about relationships and dating, don't watch this movie. The story really annoys me, it just goes on and on. I didn't like this movie.
½ June 24, 2007
Good natured, crowd-pleasing chronicle of the obvious elephant in the room concerning sex in a relationship, and how two polar-opposite souls keep stumbling into each other through the years, and flirt with the option of taking their friendship to the next level. There are some annoying cut-aways to old couples who have nothing to do with the story talking about how they met their spouse, but this is a mostly well-done, fresh look at relationships and the joys and disappointments that ensue. It is not the masterpiece comedy like many claim, it is pretty obvious what route it will take overall and too often this comes across as a less clever form of Woody Allen, but for the most part this is a sharp comedy that has some original takes on love. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are both terrific, which is a definite plus, seeing caring about these two characters is a huge reason as to why this film ultimately succeeds in the end.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ November 27, 2008
"You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you."

Harry and Sally have known each other for years, and are very good friends, but they fear sex would ruin the friendship.

REVIEW
Romantic comedies never get much respect. I actually think it is very difficult to establish the right tone in a film of this vintage. One false move and the movie will either get too silly, too mushy or too uninteresting. If anything, director Rob Reiner never loses grip of the half-serious, half-comic atmosphere needed to make this kind of movie work. Reiner (who has impressed me in more than one occasion), invades Woody Allen's territory (literally and figuratively), but he replaces Allen's neurotic view of life with genuine sentiment, social commentary and lots of humor. Nora Ephron's script is simple, but spot on; it has none of that pretentious and quirky double talk that has tainted indie films in the last decade or so. The dialogue feels real without ever smelling like meandering improvisations. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan have undeniably chemistry, and Carrie Fisher (as Ryan's best pal) almost steals the movie with a deliciously comic performance. In fact, Ryan is so good here that the poor girl has been typecast as a quirky romantic leading lady. Strong NY atmosphere helps a lot too. It's a delightfully unassuming movie.
½ February 28, 2011
You're reading the initial credits and you see names like "Rob Reiner", "Nora Ephron" and "Barry Sonenfeld". With that kind of talent, you know you have a good movie before you. Even though it's about 95 minutes long, for some reason it feels much longer, but it's superbly written and features some great banter between Billy Crystal (he's perfect) and Meg Ryan. Romantic comedy classic.
shauna1354
½ July 5, 2007
The ultimate romantic comedy! When Harry Met Sally is a witty, endearing and well-acted film that will be enjoyed for years to come. The film is excellently scripted to give to a sentimental view upon love and friendship. Although I'm not too fond of Meg Ryan she is mesmerizing as Sally Albright and Billy Crystal is just as wonderous as the fast-talking Harry Burns.
When Harry Met Sally is a humourous and delightful movie that soars above almost all of the rom-coms of the 21st century.
January 25, 2011
Like most people, I consider this to be a really good and original romantic comedy. While I mainly like it for Meg Ryan and her really lovable character, Billy Crystal does do a good job at playing the cynical leading man. I like the passing of time element and the weight of the story and the believability of the relationship.
½ June 13, 2006
A true romantic comedy classic, containing so many truths about men and women, sex and love. The film is full of witty, real and funny dialogues and hilarious scenes. Carried by Crystal's brilliant performance and Ryan just being adorable, there is a great chemistry between them throughout the entire plot. Romantic, realistic, funny. A real gem of the genre and a must see anyway.
½ December 2, 2010
Billy Crystal is absolutely spectacular in this classic romantic comedy. The relationship between he and Meg Ryan made the film spark in a manner seen in very few other romantic films.
December 9, 2008
If you ever have to name your favorite romantic comedies of all time, When Harry Met Sally will be in your top ten.