The Wolf Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wolf Man Reviews

½ November 12, 2017
A somber tale that doesn't end well. I found it fairly dull and didn't care for the visual effects either. They were bad even for 1941. This didn't live up to its reputation at all. (First and only viewing - 7/25/2017)
½ October 6, 2017
This is my least favorite of all the Universal Monster movies. I do love the idea of the Wolf Man, but unfortunately, we just don't get to see a whole lot of him in this movie. The story falls kind of flat. It is a classic, and if you like these movies you should check it out once, but there are many better werewolf movies out there.
September 27, 2017
Certainly a masterpiece; this film has an immersive story, a great cast and superb directing. I would recommend this to people of any age.
September 23, 2017
What a great film! Lon Chaney is THE wolf man. The storytelling is simple, but compelling at the same time. A man who falls in love with a woman and must do his best to protect her, from himself. The change sequence, while dated now, is fantastic for it's time.

For 1941 this film is a monumental step in the visual effects department. The chemistry between Chaney and the man who portrays his father is so captivating as well. The struggle for a father to love his son that was always lesser than his older brother in his eyes. Handing over the reigns to the family fortune to a child that had been away for 18 years. The dynamic of Chaney trying to convince his father that he is not a screw up and not crazy either.

The direction is amazing as well. Waggner does a great job pacing this compact tale. Watching the camera angles that keep the world looking mysterious and scary. The foggy woods, where the gypsys dwell, sets the scene for this ominous tale.

Monster movies have their roots with films like these, and everyone who appreciates film should check it out.
April 4, 2017
A must see movie! It's a classic!
March 26, 2017
10 out of 10:

The Wolf Man remains one of the classic monster movies with great makeup, acting, and score to give it a creepy feel.
February 22, 2017
Being a werewolf movie fan ashamed to say I had never previously seen this movie despite knowing about how well received it is. This movies fantastic for it's time. The movie is surprisingly really short clocking in at only 1 hour and 8 minutes but they use all those minutes to tell an extremely compelling, character driven story full of great performances and tragedy. The werewolf itself is really iconic and has a memorable design to it being one of the most popular film monsters to ever be created. Altho I wasn't a huge fan of its growling and howling but that's just a small nitpick. Overall tho this is a great film. I highly recommend it. 4/5
January 31, 2017
You gotta love this movie.
January 8, 2017
Very suspenseful with incredible make up.
½ November 2, 2016
I really couldn't stay focused on this classic horror film. It certainly is very dramatic, but it also seemed very B grade. Admittedly I saw a dodgy copy of this film, which made viewing a little frustrating. Maybe a second viewing will be better. 1001
½ November 1, 2016
Not a bad film despite the melodrama. It was boosted by an alright plot. I guess it was supposed to be in England?
October 29, 2016
A Fantastic addition to the universal monster classics. This movie has great suspense, acting, and storyline. It may be slow at times but, it still manages to pack a punch.
October 15, 2016
With a powerful performance by Lin Chaney Jr., The Wolf Man manages to show case sympathy to a beloved horror icon
September 28, 2016
While not perfect, The Wolf Man is still an enjoyable Universal Pictures classic. Part of it is due to the no nonsense run time that barely breaks an hour, the rest is due to fantastic performances from the entire cast, especially Lon Chaney.
½ August 30, 2016
The effects are kinda dated, but they do deliver on the plot and story, even if the characters are not very interesting!
August 11, 2016
The Wolf Man lacks in terms of the originality and actual scares, but it executes its story very well as it is so well crafted, edited, directed and of course acted. The imagery is so effective, the characterization is surprisingly good and it is also pleasantly emotional, realistic and above all always engaging, entertaining and just so superbly made that you can't help but appreciate it.
July 14, 2016
One of the greatest horror films of the 40s.
April 6, 2016
Try not to get to scared. Boo!
February 24, 2016
It hasn't stood the test of time as a horror movie but it's still very beautifully made and shot, with fine atmosphere and good acting.
February 8, 2016
A personal favorite horror film of mine. Despite being made on a B-budget, it can blend in with the A-budget Universal horror films made in the 30s.