X-Men Origins - Wolverine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Origins - Wolverine Reviews

½ April 13, 2018
lackluster storyline is rammed with superbly choreographed, fun brawls. jackman is at his emotional best. dumb, but a treat.
April 13, 2018
After reading reasons why many fans of the X-Men comics/cartoons dislike this film, I can understand why they would feel that way since it goes astray from what they grew up with and enjoy, and I won't argue with that. But for somebody like me who doesn't read/care about comic books, who already grew out of cartoons by the time the X-Men cartoons came around, and who knew nothing about X-Men prior to the first 3 X-Men movies, I liked this movie. As one example, I had no idea who Deadpool was until people started complaining about how he was portrayed in this movie, and I understand their disappointment. But for me, since I didn't know who he was, I therefore don't care how he was portrayed, and I still don't care, because I don't care about Deadpool. But a lot of people do care about that and other things that went astray from the comics/cartoons, so I understand their disappointment. As far as only the movies are concerned, I see how it breaks out of continuity with the first 3 X-Men movies, but since those movies are just "meh" to me, I prefer this movie's storyline over those. This movie isn't amazing, but it's good enough for me to buy it from the $5 bin at the store. I also bought "Logan" brand new for $20, but I wouldn't even pay $1 for any other X-Men movie. I just watch them on TV for free if I have nothing better to do at the moment. So for a casual X-Men viewer like me, "Wolverine" and "Logan" are the only X-Men films I've liked enough to buy so far.
April 8, 2018
Let the Hat begin, I LOVED THIS MOVIE, just not the cgi
March 23, 2018
Dull and empty, the only good thing is Hugh Jackman's acting.
½ March 3, 2018
This shouldn't even be called a film. It is an abomination against humanity, and is not even worthy of the effort it takes to keep your eyes open while watching it. Poor Hugh Jackman. *Has mini seizure*
February 26, 2018
Astonishing opening scene, usually charismatic performance from Hugh Jackman, pretty Vietnam war movies inspired images and ............ that's all in this clichéd silly movie that has all flaws you can imagine from stupid superhero movies.
February 18, 2018
An amazing movie that has a good plot and is full of lovable characters
February 17, 2018
Somehow this movie managed to single handedly ruin Deadpool...Ruin Gambit...Ruin the hell out of this timeline...Sow Wade Wilson's mouth shut and make Wolverines claws look worse than they did in the first X-Men film 9 years prior...But this film does still have explosions and X-men in it...so at least it's worst a single watch...But my god is it a bad X-Men film..
February 4, 2018
This is a supremely underrated movie. The fact that most people consider this the worst X-Men movie is a shame because this movie is far better than the Last Stand or Apocalypse. Jackman once again gives a great performance as the title character and I enjoyed the storyline and the way they handled Wolverines origin. Particularly the first half hour of this film is excellent. In addition, Schreiber played Victor Creed exactly how Creed should be played, and the chemistry between him and Jackman was strong. There were defiantly some mess ups- the final 20 minutes was weak, and of course the Merc with a Mouth's mouth was taken away. Thank god Deadpool was corrected in his movie last year. Overall, while there were weaknesses, Origins is still an underrated movie and definitely not the worst of the X Men films.
January 23, 2018
loved wolverine vs gambit sabertooth and x11 loved all fight scenes
January 21, 2018
watching this and then logan it connects everything guys watch it
½ January 20, 2018
Saw the working copy & want to see the real one now.
January 20, 2018
great action sequences and the way it was film the best x men film until logan came out
January 18, 2018
action packed thriller only thing wrong was deadpool and the claws apart from that amazing movie
January 17, 2018
This almost makes me ashamed to say I'm an X-Men fan, where do I begin with this nightmare of a film, Wolverine's Awful CGI claws? Ruining Deadpool? this movie pissed me off & a lot of hardcore X-Men fans. Do you know why we're pissed at this piece of trash? Because of how insanely bad it is at CONTINUITY, STORYTELLING, HOW FAITHFUL IT IS TO ITS SOURCE MATERIAL? AND JUST THE OVERALL DIRECTION FOR WOLVERINE! This should've been what Logan was, instead we had to wait 8 years. The comedy is stale, characters aren't compelling, climax was weak. I have No Idea how this is a 38% on the Tomatometer & 58% on the Audience Score? This film had No Heart & No Humanity!
½ January 13, 2018
Loved it. Awesome intro credits watching Logan fight from war to war without aging. Lots of cool action scenes and characters. Not crazy with how they portrayed Deadpool, but he was a neat nemesis. Hugh Jackman is just the perfect Wolverine. Pretty solid origin story.
January 8, 2018
I loved the gambit fight, he is my favourite x-men.
January 8, 2018
WHO...WHO...WHO...decided to sew deadpools mouth shut!!!!!
½ December 27, 2017
Wolverine is a solid action flick and origin story. If you have been a fan of the X-Men film series you should like this film very much. The film takes the back story of the first two X-Men and expand on it. The movie fully reveals details that the original X-Men films hinted at. However what is more interesting is that all the pieces of the backstory fall neatly into place and doesn't seem forced and even manages to put new light on the movie franchise while not destroying aspects of the proceeding story line by failing to bridge the gap between prequel and the original film, which is more often the case with reboots and prequels. You see how Wolverine comes into service of the the General who played the villain in X2. You see why he rages, why he feuds with Sabertooth from the first X-Men and you see how he comes to lose his true identity. On all core principles of what a prequel or origin story should be Wolverine gets it right.

The only pesky gripe I have with this film is how one of my favorite X-Men characters, Gambit (a New Orleans Card Hustler who charge anything he touches including his playing cards into explosives) was totally underused. In all honesty the character wasn't even needed. I think the film makers threw in the character to please more ardent fanboys than I. With that said however the actor who played him seem to fit the bill.

Hugh Jackman as always is perfect in the roll of Wolverine and Liev Schreiber plays an interesting nemesis. Schreiber provides a portrayal of Sabertooth that is more human and intelligent than previously suggested in the X-Men franchise. He is not the quite the hulking monstrosity he is in the original film but he is very lethal and enjoys making the kill. You definitely see the seeds for a transformation into something more fantastic and typical of comic book lore. Perhaps his transformation into the beastly mutant will be touched on in the sequel; but at the same time, it is not a necessity as Sabertooth's jealousy over Wolverine's acquired abilities is rather apparent and would seem like an obvious conclusion that the villain subjected himself to similar experiments Wolverine went through to manipulate his powers.

If they do a sequel I hope it steers clear of any dealings with X-Men. Remember in the first film when Wolverine first meets the team he knows nothing about them. It was cool seeing cameos of a couple younger versions of X-Men including the Professor but if the characters had gotten any closer in proximity to Wolverine it would seem to be a major contradiction of the overall story arc.