Woody Allen: A Documentary Reviews

• Jul 11, 2019

First half of documentary is better than the second but don't let that put you off.

• Jan 05, 2018

#woodyallenretro Podcast Project Robert Weide puts together a super comprehensive look at Woodys life from a young boy to his early comic days and then to his growing movie endeavours - and unlike most celebrity documentaries Woody himself takes us through this deep dive every step of the way, making it much more immersive and flavoursome that other docs of the same ilk. Even as a big fan of Allen, this long and in depth journey shines light on many of Allens quirky processes and even getting some rare on set footage of his filming style. This one is certainly a teat for fans and even non fans may get some welcome surprises on Woody's professional career as well as fun thoughts and opinions by actors, directors and people of interest from Hollywood - this is a full hardy and fun watch and we HAVE to give hats off to Weide for getting Woody on board to even do this in such a surprising and supportive way.

• Aug 16, 2017

This thing is nearly four hours long, yet it's so perfectly paced and incisive I could watch it for another four. Better yet, what I really wanna do is go through and watch every single Woody Allen movie in chronological order...including the bad ones.

• Dec 18, 2016

Lots of good stuff here. If you love quirky comedy and self-deprecation then this is perfect.

• Apr 17, 2015

Não apresenta nada de novo. Mas ainda assim diverte demais.

Não apresenta nada de novo. Mas ainda assim diverte demais.

• Dec 14, 2014

Exceptionally well done.

Exceptionally well done.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Dec 09, 2014

An enjoyable biography that is also, quite unfortunately, too safe to be memorable, and it doesn't help that the second part skips many of Allen's films to focus on his "best moments" after 1980, preventing this from being an essential documentary about him.

• Sep 02, 2014

A true, faithful, and characteristic denotável portrait diary of one of the most beloved masters of cinema: Woody Allen. Here, the director reveals not only its great history behind the camera as well as on camera, such as your relationships with your audience and your work. The film shows not only the history but the history, success and fall of one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. Brilliant!

• Aug 31, 2014

Review: I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen's movies and the ones that I have seen, I wasn't that impressed with, but I've always wondered why big actors always wanted star in his films. After watching this 2 disk documentary, I still don't know what so amazing about the way that he directs or his writing. I'm not a big fan of his style of comedy and his movies seem to work off of dialogue which I don't find that amusing. His movies never make that much money, which is quite weird because he is highly respected by many actors and actresses in his field. After watching the documentary I've noticed that he is a very humble man who takes his art seriously and he's not caught up in all the Hollywood hype, which is good to see after all of his fame. Anyway, this movie hasn't really drawn me to delve into his Filmography and I don't feel like I've Iearnt anything about the meaning behind his warped sense of humour, but its a well made documentary which does get a bit boring after a while but it covers quite a bit. Average! Round-Up: There are many A-listers in this documentary who have many great things to say about this veteran actor/director/writer who has a unique style to making films. In this documentary, the director touched on his personal life which got tarnished after he left his wife for his adopted daughter. It will be a shame if he gets remembered for that more than his movies. Anyway, I did struggle to stay awake through the film because of the humble tone and the fact that no one has a bad word to say about him, which is a god thing really. The film primarily is about his work and the though behind each film which is uninteresting if you haven't seen a lot of his movies. Its basically made for his die hard fans who have grown up with his movies and who understand his sense of humour, which I don't. I might give some of his more serious work a watch but I'm still not drawn to his more comedic movies. I recommend this movie to people who are into Woody Allen's work and the many different actors/actresses that he has worked with. 4/10

• Aug 18, 2014

It's a collaborative effort with Woody (who, unusually, looks happy to be interviewed), so we see him at home (showing off a typewriter he bought for $40 at 16), writing on his bed and standing outside his childhood home in Brooklyn. Allen is endearing in his belief that any of his success has been a happy accident and that he has yet to make a great film that will stand the test of time.